[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is intelligence a turn off? Particularly with first impressions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 504013.jpg (74KB, 780x629px) Image search: [Google]
504013.jpg
74KB, 780x629px
Is intelligence a turn off? Particularly with first impressions? I don't consciously make an effort to needlessly complicate a conversation topic, but I love talking technical (I'm an IT Tech.) and have an obsession with the use of wit and clever humor. Historically I've been approached for advice and help, but little else. I generally always initiate conversation and supply opportunistic one-liners in passing that receive little more than a chuckle or a confused gaze. While I can't help but notice other individuals that, in my opinion, are immature and have a tendency to make aimless banter are almost constantly approached by women and/or are much more successful when they initiate conversation.
>>
>>16460298
Maybe you're unintentionally coming off as pretentious.
>>
What >>16460314 said
But otherwise people can get a little weirded out by people who are enthusiastic about their interests.
I don't think it's intellectualism that's the problem. Also depends on the person
>>
Didn't you ever learn in the 4th grade that you need to cater to your audience?

There is a time and place for everything. And don't be fooled by people who you may perceive as unintelligent. There are many out there who are smarter than what they appear
>>
If you dont think the majority of people think they are "intellegent" you have a little more growing up to do dude.
Asses your situation fuckboy. From what it sounds like you are the weird it guy who keeps trying to be funny. Look deep into yourself and think about how you act. If you were a girl would you approach yourself and how do you appear after a first impression?
Basic shit son. Also, Never NEVER talk about your accomplishments or "intellegent" shit you do. No matter how softly you think you are coming off you are more than likely coming off pretentious. A side note to this is that sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.
>>
>>16460298
Who's smarter, the physicist or the editor?

Inflating sentences with words that border on jargon doesn't show intelligence, making your points concise through the most minimal means does.

If you spoke how you type, practically no one would like you, let alone entertain having a conversation with you.
>>
>>16460298
Brevity is the soul of wit, motherfucker.
>>
>>16460298
Can you give us a example of a conversation you had? I am thinking along these lines
>>16460314
>>16460318
>>
File: 1367642798600.jpg (63KB, 388x525px) Image search: [Google]
1367642798600.jpg
63KB, 388x525px
>>16460328
Believe me, I know that too many people unjustifiably consider themselves to be the next Einstein and believe they "have it all figured out". I'm no exception either, but I think I have enough self-awareness to realize it and correct it accordingly, but I never gloat about my achievements.
I do try to be funny a lot and I'm often very successful as well around those who I have a history with.
Keeping my mouth shut more often would more than likely emphasize my appearance and "resting bitch face" and would be counterproductive.
>>16460329
Although I do try and flex my vocabulary in conversation, I don't speak exactly how I type, of course. I'm taking advantage of the lag of virtual conversation to present my point professionally. I wasn't running on or needlessly elaborating in my original post. Is striving to use the best diction I can bothersome?
>>16460334
Brevity is also the pinnacle of communication and likewise the swansong of language.
>>16460336
I try to keep early interactions with people brief as to not ensure the very problem we're discussing. An example I can provide, which occurs frequently, is catching someone fumbling or messing up and I supply a jest in an attempt to "play it off" for them and minimize the embarrassment.
>>
I don't know, man. Your last sentence makes you sound like a bit of a cunt who doesn't realize what a cunt he is. But maybe you're a good guy.

Anyways, it's been my observation that most people aren't that interested in having a conversation that could be considered innovative or groundbreaking. They want to talk about the weather and the game and that's about it. You'll probably never connect with those people and why would you want to? They're nice and inoffensive, but pretty boring. If you're a bit out of the ordinary, it'll take more work to find people who "get" you. If you're not a pretentious, unlikeable douche (like me, unfortunately), you'll eventually find your crowd.
>>
>>16460298
I think the intelligence you're talking about here is relevant to interests. For example, there's general intelligence, but talking about technical things is kind of almost like a professional interest. If the person also shares your interest, sure, otherwise maybe try to keep it general, or talk about things you know other people are personally interested in.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.