[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

regrets r.e. university

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: email.png (45KB, 685x445px) Image search: [Google]
email.png
45KB, 685x445px
pic related
How am I supposed to cope? I'm chronically sleep-deprived, haven't been to all of the lectures, and am awake at 04:38 trying to finish a problem set due for 09:00. And now I'm damned to be unsatisfied with my subject. I don't have time to cry about this but I did. How can I handle 6h of labs per week? How the fuck do I pay attention to circuit theory?
I regret my life decisions rather thoroughly... I should have done some fucking essay subjects. I knew I wanted to do physphil all along, really. Fuck. All my hopes rested on the switch.
Helpppp :(
I don't even know what I'm asking for.. I'm probably just going to stick with what I've chosen because I'm a hopeless coward.
How do I not feel like shit about choosing the wrong degree?
Fuck, I can not be bothered with today. Fuck labs, seriously. I need to sleep.. so badly..
>>
Just finish your current degree and get a Master's or PhD in Philosophy. Come to the US if you have to.
>>
>>16454184
That's at least another three years away.. it seems like such a huge and unnecessary length of time to spend doing something I half-don't-enjoy.
I might just resign myself to failure. At least then I can sleep.
The worst thing is not being able to read in my spare time due to either being too tired or having to work or seeing friends.
>>
My university offers 'post-grad diplomas' that allow you to basically do nothing but a handful of papers from a major. Perhaps look into whether yours offers something like that so you can fulfil the philosophy requirements?
>>
>>16454217
Hmm I'm not sure it does. If I did that, wouldn't I just as well do a master's?

I don't know if I'm making grammatical sense. I tried, okay?
>>
>>16454234
Idk about your school, but at mine, you generally need a Bachelors in that major to do a Masters in it. Sometimes a Bachelors in a related major might be fine, like sociology for anthropology, but physics for philosophy seems like a bit of a stretch. I say go in and talk to someone in person about what your options are and what you need to do in order to be able to get to where you ultimately want to be
>>
There is a philosophy of physics master's but it's not really what I wanted to do. I'd have preferred to go from phys & phil undergrad to a master's in mathematical & theoretical physics
>>
>>16454410
meant to quote
>>16454318
>>
>>16454410
So do that. I don't see why you can't do that with a physics degree.
>>
>>16454420
yeah but the problem is having to do the physics degree in the first place
but I guess I can't avoid that now
>>
>>16454457
Start again. What do you have, and what do you want to do?
>>
>>16454526
I have A levels in maths, further maths, physics and computing and a position at Oxford for physics, but I'd rather do physics & philosophy, but I can't.
I feel trapped
>>
>>16454635
What is required for philosophy? Talk to someone, preferably in person, and work out exactly what you need to do to study philosophy
>>
>>16454457
>yeah but the problem is having to do the physics degree in the first place
physics is boss tier.
philosophy on the other hand...
>>
>>16454675
I don't think us Amerifats know what a Physics & Philosophy degree from Oxford is.
>>
>>16454645
there's no point, I've already been rejected
>>16454675
>labs
>circuit theory
>geometric optics
>boss tier
come on
>logic
>not essential
>>
Do what you love or find a way to do what you love. You'll be miserable without it.
>>
>>16454751
True.. that's why I'm worried. But I have myself convinced that it's better to be here than not to be.
The thing is, I don't even know what I love. Whether it's music, literature, philosophy or physics. I guess I like the theoretical aspects of physics over the other parts..
>>
>>16454751
How do you find out what you love though?
>>
>>16454170
If you are indeed at Oxford, then it really doesn't matter what you take your degree in. You will be employable in anything from banking to business to government to whatever, just on the strength of your degree. And meanwhile you can spend the rest of your life reading and writing philosophy on your own.
>>
>>16455092
I'm not too fussed about employability; it's more that I'd rather do what I really enjoy.
But as you said, there will be plenty of time for that afterwards.
I think I'm cheering up a bit about the whole thing.. four years of physics doesn't seem so bad now.
>>
>>16454170
What AS grades did you get?
Do you know anyone doing PPL?
thx
>>
>phillosophy

Enjoy your job at Taco Bell
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.