[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So basically i have to give a 10-15 minute presentation on a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

File: download (1).jpg (5KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
5KB, 260x194px
So basically i have to give a 10-15 minute presentation on a power point project and i feel like i'm gonna have a heart attack. What can i do to calm down? I present in a few weeks.
>>
>>16434471
that's a lengthy presentation are you doing it alone?

also pro tip: no one gives a shit about you or your presentation, they're worried about their own

offer to go first srs
>>
>>16434476
this desu senpai
>>
>>16434476
>that's a lengthy presentation are you doing it alone?

yea by myself. i get nervous to the point of twitching a bit and it sucks. I just want to run away but i can't. I have to sit there and talk...for 10 minutes.....while everyone stares at me....
>>
>>16434471

Be well prepared and avoid watching what's on your presentation sheets. Breath before.
I recently did that while only reading and not looking at the people and it took me 4 minutes instead of ten.
>>
https://youtu.be/KbSPPFYxx3o
>>
>>16434491
Do one or two shots before the presentation, depending on how much you can take. Works wonders, just don't get used to it.
>>
>>16434691
it usually helps me to have a paper with what i'm going to say and i read and look forward at the same time. but i don't read the entire thing.
>>
>>16434782
was actually thinking that haha
>>
>>16434471

Be sure to jack off before presenting. No joke. It'll calm down your nerves tremendously, and it removes your chances of getting a nervous boner when your eyes start wandering on to the cleavage of your typical university slut.
>>
>>16434471
Practice. A lot. Get it written and prepared long in advance, and then just keep practicing. Alone in your room, then in front of a mirror, then dragoon a few friends or family to sit through it. Get so you know it perfectly and the audience doesn't bother you.
>>
>>16434476
>that's a lengthy presentation are you doing it alone?
LMFAO
A teacher does this for 50 minutes six or seven times a day. Yet everybody thinks teaching is so easy.
>>
>>16434471
>What can i do to calm down?
Remember that when you give the presentation, you know more about the subject than anybody in the audience--you did prepare for it right? ALso, PRETEND to make eye contact with your audience. Look at people's faces, but not their eyes--look just at the tops of their heads. Also, the slides are NOT for your audience. They should primarily serve as reminders for what you need to say at that time. DO NOT simply read your slides to the audience--they can do that for themselves.
>>
>>16434782
>Do one or two shots before the presentation
DO NOT DO THIS.
That's the last thing you want--people smelling booze on your breath. That's the only thing they will remember about you and your presentation. They will think you did not even care enough to show up for your own presentation without being a bit tipsy.
>>
>>16434491
Wtf dont sit. Stand and look people in the eye If you have probs with eye contact look just a litle over there head. If you get nervous think on a moment you totaly kicked ass. Op i wish u luck
>>
Realize no one actually cares about your presentation, they'll probably forget about it in the next 5 minutes when their turn comes up.
Also as a general rule imagine what is the worse that could happen, if it's not dying or something as bad then everything is alright and you needn't stress over it.
>>
>>16434471
>So basically i have to give a 10-15 minute presentation on a power point project and i feel like i'm gonna have a heart attack. What can i do to calm down? I present in a few weeks.
practise practise practise until you know all the words by heart and can say it while being distracted.
>>
hi OP,

do NOT, i repeat, DO NOT have coffee or anything to do with caffeiene the morning of your presentation; caffeine causes anxiety, and if you're already anxious, you'll just be fucking yourself.
try taking a different route to the place that you're presenting; if you live five minutes away, take the long way because it stimulates your brain, and you'll need your brain with more activity for this presentation. someone else mentioned it, but no one actually gives a fuck about your presentation because presumably, they have to worry about their own. use it to your advantage and try to appear confident as fuck. groom yourself well the day of, and try to look your best, like you're meeting the president.
if you have nervous ticks, keep your left or right hand in your pocket as you're speaking, and click the button to a pen. this could LIKELY resolve your nervous tick. try it out first, dont put all your eggs in that basket.
you'll do great, OP. 10-15 minutes is a shit load of time, so try to be funny, if you can. watch other's presentations on youtube on how to be funny in a professional or educational environment, and for godsake, volunteer to go first and get your shit over with.
>>
>>16435599
fine i'll stand. thanks friend
>>
>>16435648
I don't want to be funny because my humor is kinda odd so i just want to be short and to the point so i can sit down. I hate presenting.
>>
File: a5.jpg (36KB, 833x597px) Image search: [Google]
a5.jpg
36KB, 833x597px
Ok, my friend, sit back and learn. I'm a german engineering technican, and during my 4 year course, my class and me did a shitload of presentations, and I became really good at it. So I'll write down some easy-to-follow rules and hope they help you.

- Don't sit during a presentation, stand. This way you have a better overwiew over the audience, you are taken seriously, and you can turn to the presentation to point at things and stuff. Ever seen a politician give a speech while sitting?

- Notes er okay for a speech. If you need them for a presentatin, you don't know your shit. All I ever had were some pages with about 4 sheets per page so that I would know which sheet would gome up next, so that I can prepare mentally. If even you, the expert on the topic of the presentation, cannot remember stuff without notes, how can you expect the audience to do? Keep it simple.

- When you practice, do it as if you actually had the presentation. A musician cannot learn an instrument by reading notes, and neither can you learn your presentation this way. Stand up, and talk as if there was an audience. Talk slowly, take pauses, learn to breathe.

- Make you question policy clear at the beginning in order to avoid lenghty interruptions. My policy always was that short questions concerning the general understanding are ok during the presentation, but for questions with the potential involving longer discussions there's time at the end.

- A bit of humor is always good. For example, I used pic related as the first sheet in one presentation. It worked great. I did not have to work to get the attention of the class, but more and more heads turned to me on their own with excitement and laughter. So I had the attention at the beginning and a great start, the good mood lasted through the whole presentation.

- Chill the fuck out. Remember when you are in the audience watching a presentation. You give a fuck. Even when the presenter stumbles at a time or forgot something, noone cares.
>>
>>16436017
thanks i will do my best even though ill have notes with me in case i choke.
>>
I'm kind of in the same boat as OP. I have to give a PowerPoint presentation on a topic while I'm a pharm tech, and my audience is my colleagues of pharmacists. At least I have a smaller and familiar crowd, but the fact that my audience probably knows more about my topic than I do is pretty stressful to say the least
>>
>>16434471

Look yourself in the mirror and spend a half hour reciting your presentation.

Every

Single

Day

Get to know it by heart. Get to know it so well, that even if you are asleep I could wake you up and you would be like a recorder starting up with that fucking presentation.

Preperation is 75% of the work
>>
>>16434476
>offer to go first srs

This x1000
>>
>>16436796
well one time i read notes that wasn't on the power point and still got an A. As long as i look up every now and then i'll be fine.
>>
Take a couple shots, offer to go first or second (otherwise you'll spend the entire time worried as shit) and also- Breath. Like, seriosuly, just take a few deep breathes, big breath in, big breath out, about 5 times or however many times you'd like. I do this when I get nervous and it works. I get nervous at work every day when I first arrive but after a few deep breathes I start to feel better and I warm up to the place
>>
>>16436017
This is solid advise for someone who wants to be really popular after a presentation or some shit, or for a professional who will be doing presentations a lot in their future. This is probably just some highschool bullshit, just breath deeply a couple of times, practice a bit, then fucking wing it. He's not a politician, he's just trying to get through his presentation without failing
>>
>>16436796
this
Also, it sounds like you have major anxiety disorders OP. I do too and dreaded presentations so much in college I dropped some courses as soon as I discovered they were required. For the couple I did have to do I had to take benzos before hand. You could see if your doc will prescribe you some for it.
>>
>>16436796
>Look at yourself in the mirror...
and do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIETlxquzY
>>
>>16436992
nah it's a college course. but pretty chill. I just want to talk fast and finish fast.
>>
>>16437012
>anxiety disorders
yea i guess i do. never been diagnosed with anything so i'm not sure. I just know that my heart pumps really fast, i get ticks, and i feel like crying.
>>
>>16437033
It's called a panic attack. You could get some benzodiazapines (xanax, klonopin, etc.) for cases like this where you need them. But DO NOT become addicted to them if you choose that route.
>>
>>16437040
>panic attack
aw man that sucks. i would take some but i don't know how i would react to them.
>>
File: andy.jpg (133KB, 615x818px) Image search: [Google]
andy.jpg
133KB, 615x818px
>>16434471
>What can i do to calm down?
nothing . you will have stress , but you will get through it .
try doing a stress reducing body scan every day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daU-xneLA0g&list=PLvySxxK7PGLVPB6qrbMirgK0tqKWxFVYP
>>
>>16437058
They just make you calm and relaxed. It is kind of like being a bit drunk without losing all of your motor skills etc. They're commonly prescribed for panic attacks but like I said before, be careful if you choose to take them as they're very addicting.
>>
>>16437093
ok thanks man. will look into it.
>>
Always go first

Always

The more you wait the more likely your presentation is to look shit
>>
what is topic that you are going to talk about?
>>
>>16439041
The Yakuza. My class is organize crime.
>>
>>16438238
i'll.....t..try to be brave
>>
>>16435569
>be me
>sitting in lecture hall
>some sweaty neckbeard gets onstage
>thisgonbegood.jpg
>begins presentation by mumbling
>mumbling continues
>a sudden smell wafts towards me
>it's liquor
>I stand up in my seat
>point and yell that beardo is drunk
>neckbeard is ushered out
>bitches all over me

Just another day in the life of a snitch.
>>
>>16434471
just suck it up and do it.
Nothing can go wrong.
I get terrible stage fright but its never actually affected what I do in front of people except a bit of shaking.
>>
>>16439234
I know. the same usually happens to me. The fact that i'm going up there is a great accomplishment to me. I just want to do well enough that no one laughs or anything. I did take speech class but i was never alone. This time i'm alone which is crazy because i haven't done any projects alone in a very long time.
>>
Write down what you're going to say. Practice it regularly, in front of a mirror, until you're comfortable with it. Record yourself saying it from across the room so you can hear your vocal quality and adjust it.

While actually delivering, take slow, deep breaths and take your time. If you fuck up some words, correct yourself and move on. You're probably going to fuck up, but if you just roll with it and proceed, nobody is gonna hold it against you.

If you fuck up more than just a few words, stop for a second. Inhale and exhale. Review what you're going to say in your head, check your notes, and begin again at the beginning of the sentence.

The more you practice beforehand, the better off you'll be.
>>
>>16439282
Thanks a lot. will practice. I just need to write down the information. When i'm nervous i tend to forget everything so i can take some notes with me when i'm up there.
>>
>>16439291
protip: when you use your notes, have a number, paraphrase, and/or keywords next to each paragraph so you can quickly find your place.
>>
>>16434471
smoke some weed. remember that people make mistakes and anyone who doesn't make a mistake have usually made so many mistakes that they just don't worry about it anymore.

exposing yourself to failure and accepting it is key in coping with anxiety.
>>
>>16439300
good idea thank you
>>
>>16439334
>exposing yourself to failure and accepting it is key in coping with anxiety

it's just so hard. I make the dumbest mistakes ever. i've seen people laugh at me when i do and it hurts. these thoughts will haunt me forever. I always tell myself to get over it, but then one day it will come back as i reflect. I don't want to work as a cop or something and get fired just because i made some mistake in my report. I see my friends and how they process things quickly and react quickly to certain information and i envy them. Their only problem is that they can be lazy and not work hard to achieve their goals. sometimes i wish i had a high IQ. Then i can be taken seriously.
>>
>>16439367
*those
>>
Reherse at home with the full ten minutes

Bulletin index cards will help.

Have good posture.

Try to avoid looking at your cards but remember the bulletin.

Speak clearly and semi loud

Just Pratice
>>
>>16434471
Distract yourself and let the weeks fly by. You cannot obsess over it, Afterwards you feel like it wasn't a big deal.
>>
>>16439484
yea i'm pretty much not letting it get to me for now. still have a few weeks to go. i wish the professor would have let us do this sooner but it's going to be before the holidays so more stress.
>>
>>16439500
I know the feeling from when I was little, know I never feel like that anymore. You've got to realize people only care about themselves, so nobody will be giving a shit basically as long as they themselves are fine. Comforting thought isn't it? You never have to be nervous again if you understand this.
>>
>>16439507
well yea i mean i do want to get a good grade. Or at least a passing one. Thanks friend.
>>
>>16439521
and you might be nervous because you might fuck up

you probably don't care about THAT, but only about what you will look like, what others think of you..

which is why you have to realize that people are selfish
>>
>>16439527
ok i see what you mean. the class isn't bad i mean they are willing to discuss almost anything. it's just the stares....the eyes.....my dumb ass not saying words. but i will do my best.
>>
>>16439539
you will be fine

just show some effort and be honest

they ll probably let you pass if they can see you worked at it
>>
>>16439500
I also have a 15 min presentation in like a week or two. Probably won't do it.
>>
>>16439679
yea, it's hard huh? what is your topic on?
>>
>>16439559
I'll memorize as much as i can and i'll look all the way forward to the wall so i don't choke. i'll probably talk fast but i don't care. I don't want to pussy out but everything inside of me is saying fuck this.
>>
I used to have great anxieties about public speaking. So, before one of my presentations in a high school 'Current Issues' course I smoked a joint laced with opium. As I was walking back to campus, headed toward my presentation, I felt the world drop and from then on understood I was headed toward disaster.

Thankfully my teacher understood I was 'going through a difficult time' and just shook his head at me the entire time I tried to speak during the [group] presentation. My poor group. It was kind of hilarious. I got a talking to after class, unsurprisingly--thankfully I was high for that too.
>>
>>16440608
haha great story. I have never been high before. so can you imagine what it would be like if i presented the project high? And by myself no less.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.