[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dubs v Subs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: 1498151323810.png (364KB, 500x531px) Image search: [Google]
1498151323810.png
364KB, 500x531px
I do not usually like dubs, but there is a vast amount of shows i only watch dub.
are people that say subs are the only wat to watch anime and that "all dubs are trash" just people who didnt grow up on dubs?

as in, people who probably are new to anime?

let us discuss dubs vs subs...?
>>
>>162273033
OP here, i think that a large portion of dubs do not contain any real emotion, making the them bad. on top of that, the translations are sometimes waaay off, making the lack of emotion far worse.
or maybe the bad translation makes dubs lack emotion?
>>
The vast majority of voice acting in anime, both in English and Japanese, is trash tier voice acting. But weeaboos who don't speak Japanese can't tell how bad Japanese voice acting is, so they fall under the impression that only English dubs are trash.
>>
>>162273033
>dubs
Check mine, then fuck off and kill yourself.
>>
>>162273033

Most dub voice actors are mediocre and there are not enough "good" ones out there. The end result is that you are either going to have a cast that you heard a thousand times already or that is mediocre (and those aren't mutually exclusive). Even if the main cast is good or even great you are going to have a bad time trying to find a dub where the side characters have not abysmal performances. My favorite voice actors (Crispin Freeman) don't dub anime anymore. And the translations make me dagnabbit mad sometimes.

Even mainstream dubbing is trash. Germany dubs nearly everything in existence and even our hollywood blockbuster dubs fail to not make me cringe everytime.
>>
>>162273033
I only like some English dubs. Code Geass, Death Note, HxH 2011 and Psycho Pass are all GOAT.
>>
>>162273158
yeah, but if japanese isnt your native language/you are well versed in it, you cant tell.
so that is why sub is better most of the time.
>>
>>162273233
>Hunter x Hunter
i do not feel the same way
>code geass
muh dick>>162273158
>>162273254
>>
>>162273033
Why did you start with an image from an anime that doesn't have a dub?
>>
>>162273158
>>162273254
woops. im tipsy tonight.

as in, i know that the japanese VAs sound bad, such as the forced high pitch and fast talking, but you just cant notice it as bad as english voice actors.

maybe its the disconnect from my native language of english. i hear an english voice no some blue haired girl, such as aqua, and it just seems trash.

that is an example though. not that aqua has a dub, at least i think
>>
Found out recently that some dubs are so inaccurate the dialogue is rewritten and idiots insert their own real life bullshit into it. Never want to watch a dub ever again.
>>
File: 1495497750847.jpg (22KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1495497750847.jpg
22KB, 200x200px
>>162273296
because i am stupid and i just saw that picture first, senpai.
>>
what are some /a/ approved dubs?
>>
>>162273372
NGE is the only one
>>
>>162273388
dude, dont even try
>>
Don't forget to sage dubfag threads.
>>
new fag detection is off the charts
>>
>>162273539
fuck off
>>
File: 1478388947347.png (278KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1478388947347.png
278KB, 450x450px
Really could not determine if this was subtle bait or just typical konosuba newfriend. Bravo
>>
>>162273372
G Gundam (Allegedly)
>>
File: 1505215830281.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1505215830281.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>162273033
Dubs are trash in a multitude of ways

1. The timing of the jokes\gags is almost always fucked up or they are outright cut from the script
2. Most of the time VA's cant match the characters appearance\mannerisms due to the poor script and acting. In serious cases that leads to memery i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwhgHz3Fm3o

3. >>162273254
This
>>
Why you should never watch a dub
youtube.com/watch?v=tEXurYaIHao
/thread
>>
>>162273179
this
>>
>>162273033
I can tolerate a dub no matter how bad it is, I only watch Subs if absolutely necessary.
>>
File: 1503974358340.png (242KB, 369x484px) Image search: [Google]
1503974358340.png
242KB, 369x484px
>>162274419
But the danganronpa 3 dub is one of the greatest dubs in existence. It revved up the shitposting in the threads.
>>
>>162273033
If you watch anime with dubs you shouldn't watch anime at all. Just go watch netflix and fuck off.
>>
>>162273372
Ghost Stories
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHN6vOzDs84
>>
File: 1484827790622.jpg (90KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1484827790622.jpg
90KB, 500x500px
>>162273033
There are some God-Tier subs out there
>Cowboy Bebop English Dub
>Cowboy Bebop Spanish Dub
>Death Note English Dub
>Death Note Spanish Dub
>Ghost Stories English Dub
>Some other dubs I haven't bothered watching
But most of the time dubs are horrible or mediocre, simply put
>Anime is released
>Translate
>Rewrite to make dialogs fit with the timing and lip movements
>Take actors. If you live in a shitty country then your country only has like seven voice actors for everything
>Explain them nothing
>Record
>No direction to the voices
>Localize music
>New OP, ft. Kanye West
>Jelly-Filled Doughnuts
End Result: A character speaking in unnatural sentences with no emotion with a voice you swear have heard somewhere else

Meanwhile on Subs:
>Anime comes out
>Translate
>Set the timing
>Add Subs
>Add important notes, like the meaning of "Keikaku" because your weeb ass is autistically obsessed with accuracy
Result: Anime containing the original product with words added on top of the image
>>
>>162276643
>There are some God-Tier subs out there
*There are some God-Tier Dubs out there
Shit
>>
>>162273372
Mejoku
>>
>>162273158
>The vast majority
Not really, there are bad voices in Japanese too, but it's not even comparable. I don't know why dubfag monolinguals think they are any more qualified to talk about 'the actual quality' than other people. From what I've seen and experienced personally, people usually enjoy anime even more once they learn the language.
>weeaboos
The main dubfag argument, only rivaled by "I like to not watch the screen while I watch anime" and "I can't watch the screen and read the subs at the same time. English dubs are not on a level playing field with the original voice track and this obviously works the other way too. For some reason dubfags always argue like every animation ever was made in Japanese, when most anti-dub arguments can be made without referring to the country of origin.
>>
>>162273033
Death Note dub was surprisingly good from the main characters, the supporting cast was trash, though.
>>
>>162273158
>>162273254
Acting is all about conveying emotions. Some cultures have a tendency to show some emotions more than others, but it doesn't change the fact that basic things like being happy, angry, sad, afraid, etc. are really universal for human species. Just like in western cartoons, the voice acting usually goes for exaggeration rather than realism, so "people don't speak like that in real life" is also one of the most retarded arguments.
Learning Japanese hasn't changed my opinions about people like Wakamoto, Sugita, and Omigawa Chiaki. Getting into seiyuu has made it even more obvious how big the voice acting industry is in Japan; the huge pool of people creates a really tough competition where it's simply impossible for "bad actors" to survive.

Ironically, a very common phenomenon on /a/ is that when an actual rookie / live-action actor / (gravure) idol / random nobody has the most generic 3DPD voice and can't act for shit (which in this context means being able to portay their character in a manner that suits the show's style, whether it's serious or comedic), anons think it's the most exotic thing ever while in reality you could pick any random woman from the street and she'd sound like that, ie. they have got so used to how great actual seiyuu sound that to them, a bad actor becomes special.
>>
>>162273033
>are people that say subs are the only wat to watch anime and that "all dubs are trash" just people who didn't grow up on dubs?
Anyone not living in a english speaking country grew up on dubbed kids movies.
It was awful then and it is awful now, the only reason I don't think my childhood Disney movies are bad is because of massive nostalgia.
Any of those movies I re-watched in the original language turned out to be simply better.

Dubs are shit.
>>
The difference is that Japan has thousands of professional voice actors, while America either uses non-professionals or the same few dozen VAs even if they aren't suited for the role.
>>
>>162278523
The Death Note dub is pretty solid, but that's due to the amount of inner monologuing and action-less scenes, so the VA's acting sounds more natural.
>>
>>162273158
I assume you can understand Japanese to make such a claim. Also by your logic dubs of languages we don't understand would sound better than English dubs but they sound just as bad as the English ones. And you know why that is? It's because in many cases there isn't enough money for a good English dub. Japanese dub is in around 80% of the cases better than the English one.
>>
>>162273372
Space dandy
>>
Even if the voice acting is bad on a show, I don't remember one where I thought the dub was any better; in my opinion/experience either the original language is good or they both are bad. That being said, in the specific case of anime, there are some voices I find too annoying and thus prefer the dub, like was the case in Fruits Basket and Sakura CC, to name a couple.
>>
>>162273372
Cowboy bebop, even the creator loved the dub
>>
>>162276643
>>Rewrite to make dialogs fit with the timing and lip movements
This is the biggest pitfall. With how different the languages are it's almost impossible to match words in English to the animation without severely changing things. This by itself is bad but then you add to the mix that dub directors will just say fuck it; it doesn't matter what the original content is about. Let's just make shit up. It will severely impact the story and even the tightest Japanese writing will become a fan fiction based on the series. Add to the mix that realistic style anime are actually animating the lips moving to form the syllables physically and you can't rely on making any old word to fit the simple open mouth closed mouth mouth flaps. There are other reasons I don't watch dubs but this is the biggest one.
>>
>>162273033
Various reasons stated above. I'll also add that "taking liberties with the script" extends to making every male between 8-16 as rude as Bart Simpson, and every female sound like some whiny self-entitled tumblrina. Which, these days, they very well might be.
>>
>>162273372
>Ghost Stories
>Cowboy Bebop
>Panty and Stocking (only after watching the sub.)
>Sextra Credits

Almost everything else is trash or at the very least not as good as the original.
>>
>>162273308
Examples of this?
>>
>>162273033

>Needing dubs or subs
>Not knowing Japanese

Fucking normies get out
>>
>>162276524
Danganronpa has some of the most awful fanbases around, not surprising that they were discussing the dub in their threads.
>>162273033
You know, because you grew up with something doesn't mean you still have to like it once you are an adult.
>>
>>162283425
>You know, because you grew up with something doesn't mean you still have to like it once you are an adult.
Bingo.

Just because I grew up with dubs doesn't mean I have to like them now. The insinuation that I'm somehow new to anime because I understand that 99% of subs are superior is ridiculous.
>>
>>162283180
Prison school referencing gamergate and Dragon Maid referencing the "patriarchy"
>>
>>162273033
A lot of dubs are really not well done.
>>
>>162273158
One of the reasons why dubbing is often poor is that dub VAs are paid in practically pennies for their work. It is not an industry that attracts much talent, dubbing anime is for the poorfags. The ones with talent will generally be doing voice work for video games, which is where most of the money is (Bioware was reasonaly well known a few years ago for paying out the nose for decent quality or better, though that might have changed since), as well as producing/ directing voice work for games.

Which only leaves anime dubs for the people just getting statted who lack a real resume, the ones who do it on their off time between bigger roles, the ones who can get a key role for a steady paycheck (e.g. One Piece Straw Hats and other long running anime "main teams"), or rarely the ones reprising prior roles as a favour.

The best money in English voice work, however, is and remains things like the Simpsons. Those ones are all multimillionares.
>>
>>162282555
I would add Space Dandy, Black Lagoon and Jormungand to that myself.
>>
hyperdimension neptunia is one of the examples of a dub that is even better than the original
just watch whatever suits you best though, like who gives a shit how you personally consume your entertainment? what kind of elitist faggot would get in someone elses face for liking things differently?
i prefer subs in general but you do you man
>>
>>162287511
>neptunia dub
>good
>>
>>162273033
Grew up on dubs and now 100% prefer subs here. After discovering subs I started to think that when dubbed the characters mouth matched up to the words much better, and in a sense is a better representation of what the original creator thought they would sound like. But that's just how I think and see it, purely opinionated.
>>
>>162288147
i didn't say "good". i said it's even better than the original. that's just an objective truth.
>>
>>162288147
It's got its issues but the original Japanese audio is trash.

>obnoxious verbal tics
>many characters sound too young
>dumb voice affectations like Blanc perpetually sounding half asleep because Japanese acting has no sense of subtlety
>>
>>162273233

not mentioning FLCL's dub
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.