[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Saitama a Marty Stu/Mary Sue Archetype?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

File: 1434547323188.jpg (15KB, 400x368px) Image search: [Google]
1434547323188.jpg
15KB, 400x368px
Is Saitama a Marty Stu/Mary Sue Archetype?
>>
Only if you don't know what that means.
>>
Nah, he's a gag character.
>>
>>162029789
You don't even know what that means.
>>
>Marty Stu

Well, that's a new one, I've only ever heard heard Gary Stu. But anywhos, I would say Saitama is more of a gag of those kinds of characters. Your average Mary Sue is a character so powerful the entire story just collapses into them—they will easily overcome everything they will beat the shit out of the bad guy, Friendship, Drama, etc, etc, everything goes wonderfully for them.

Sao Tamar has the power for that, and the story does often collapse into him, but it rarely goes well (The Meteor, Frog Lips ruining his defeat over Deep Sea King, how unsatisfying the fight against Boros was for him, etc). It plays out similarly, but it doesn't go well for the Hero.
>>
Saitama is the deconstruction of the Marty Stu.

One Punch man is the Evangelion of Shonen fight anime.
>>
>>162030336
>Saitama is the deconstruction of the Marty Stu.
No.
>>
A parody of Superman.
>>
>>162029789
lol he isn't perfect at all he's just a normal guy who has a funny power
>>
>>162030404
Sorry, what I meant is that the show is the deconstruction of the archetype of the overused trope of Gary Stu'ness. You need a very high IQ to understand something this subtle.
>>
>>162031038
No. He's just comically overpowered. He does not resemble a Gary Stu in any way.
>>
>>162031038
>deconstruction
Fucking stop with this shit you faggot. It's a gag/parody manga, that's it.
>>
>>162029789
>Is Saitama a Marty Stu/Mary Sue Archetype?

Gary Stu/Mary Sues tend to be self-inserts of the author. He/she lives vicariously through the character by making the character "cool", and him/herself cool as well by association.

Coolness is presented as attitude, power, looks and plot relevance.

Saitama is definitely cool in terms of attitude because he is a pretty nice guy, has simple but admirable goals, and can show some pretty impressive capability for self-sacrifice. While sometimes he is not cool, this is played off as a joke.

About power, well, he is the most powerful guy in the story and fights against the most fearsome opponents. So he also could be considered cool in that regard (note that some people may consider an all-powerful guy is the exact opposite of cool).

So far, he is pretty Sueish. But then we go to the next parts: looks and plot relevance.

Saitama is pretty fucking lame in looks. He is lacking in detail, his costume is ridiculously old-school, and even when drawn in a very detailed manner, he lacks one of the most visually attractive details in anime characters: hair. So he is pretty damn uncool in that regard.

However, what really, really makes it obvious he is not a Mary Sue, is his plot irrelevance.

While he saves the world a few times, the author explicitly keeps him away from the story for the most part once the arc fleshing him out is over. All the other heroes hog the spotlight. Even Garou, a villain, gets way more attention. The less powerful heroes are also set up as more admirable figures. Genos gets the "tragic hero" and "smart tactician" roles, while Licenceless Rider gets the "balls of steel" and "punching bag" attributes. Those are pretty Sueish attributes if concentrated in a single character, but Saitama never, ever possesses one of them, and they are distributed instead among other characters.

So yeah, I think Saitama is not a Gary Stu. The author just doesn´t force him enough onto the audience.
>>
>>162031318
Even if Saitama had good looks or plot relevance he would still not be a Gary Stu, because to be one a character needs to be presented as "serious". You are supposed to take them seriously because the author is projecting themselves onto the character and by proxy wants to be the cool one themselves. Saitama is a fucking parody, a joke. That's something that fundamentally makes him unable to be a Gary Stu, because someone who writes one will want their character to be taken seriously.
>>
File: saitama2.png (237KB, 476x268px) Image search: [Google]
saitama2.png
237KB, 476x268px
>>162029789
>Marty Stu
>>
>>162032102
Stop.
>>
File: 1496882501916.jpg (162KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1496882501916.jpg
162KB, 640x360px
>>162031188
>It's a gag/parody manga
It's just bad written shonen
>>
File: 1489969629114.jpg (86KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1489969629114.jpg
86KB, 640x480px
>>162033274
>shonen
>>
only an absolute pleb would think that
>>
>>162029789
>nobody likes him but a few
>fails at everything that isn't fighting
Nah.
>>
File: 1504706845828.jpg (100KB, 678x678px) Image search: [Google]
1504706845828.jpg
100KB, 678x678px
>>162033411
>>
>>162033627
It's Seinen.
>>
>>162029789
Saitama isn't a sue because everything is unfair for him and he's aware of that fact. If I walk onto a playground and start dropkicking toddlers, I don't get to pretend I'm hot shit.

One of the primary traits of a Mary Sue is that everyone that likes them is "good" and the only people who dislike them are "bad", because the mary sue is a self insert for insecure authors with fragile egos. Most people don't even know who the fuck Saitama is, and if they do most don't even like him because he doesn't bother putting in the effort. Genos intentionally has sue-ish traits (tragic backstory, potential for upgrades at plot convenience, dark and mysterious appearance, "badass" appearance" but in reality he's a fucking boyscout that follows saitama around like a puppydog and hangs on his every word.

Saitama would be a sue if he took credit for every disaster he prevented, had a harem of satisfied female heroes that called him one-thrust-man, and beat up everyone that talked shit about him or said he didn't deserve his ranking. Because that's what a petulant manchild with a fragile ego would do in his place.
>>
>>162033274
>shonen
Go back to bnh thread.
>>
>>162033769
>Replying to bait
>>
File: saitama3.png (3MB, 998x1500px) Image search: [Google]
saitama3.png
3MB, 998x1500px
>>162032280
Nah
>>
>>162034798
S T O P
>>
Yes thats the joke
>>
>>162031567
>had good looks
To be fair, Saitama still looks good.
>>
>>162035604
The manga doesn't count.
>>
>>162030336
>deconstruction
fuck off and kill yourself
>>
>>162033411
OPM is for mature adults like me XD
>>
>>162031318
>Saitama is pretty fucking lame in looks.
to be fair, he did look kinda badass before he lost his hair
>>
>>162034170
>had a harem of satisfied female heroes that called him one-thrust-man
Both Fubuki and Tatsumaki want his dick though
>>
>>162030336
>>162030404
>>162031188
>>162037481
>unironically responding to obvious bait
>>
>>162029789
>Bald
>Poor
>Can't get the decent fight he craves
>Stuck with annoying autistic cyborg disciple
>Given a crappy nickname
>0 public appeal
nah
>>
>>162029789
The main features of a Mary Sue are everyone loves them, everything goes right for them and the story revolves around them. Nobody knows who Saitama is, he still doesn't have the fame/fortune/fights he wants and literally every other character is more plot important than him.
>>
>>162037812
being bald, poor and having a shitty nickname are superficial flaws that don't actually matter like how many Sues are beta as fuck or idiots.
>>
>>162030336
No he isn't.
Even if you want to say that Saitama is a deconstruction of Superman-esque characters - or really most action/capeshit in general where it can be assumed the heroes always win (so why bother, why not just have a One Punch Man?), neither Saitama nor the trope character he "deconstructs" are Mary Sue's. Please learn the definition.
>>
>>162037895
being bald is more serious than you think
>>
>>162029789
Can't even compete with pic
>>
>>162030108
This.
>>
>>162029789
No, he's an socio economic representation
>>
>>162030404
A Mary Sue who would like nothing better than to stop being a Mary Sue (at least in relative terms)? If it's not a deconstruction it's close to it.
>>
>>162039182
No.
>>
>>162030836
Superman have weaknesses you can exploit
>>
>>162038338
Damn you Anon, now I'm seriously thinking about this shit.

I'm thinking Saitama could defeat Alucard though.
>>
File: Alucard.jpg (30KB, 736x441px) Image search: [Google]
Alucard.jpg
30KB, 736x441px
>>162038338
>>162039392
Actually, thinking more on it, Saitama would basically be a dream come true for Alucard. He's everything he got out of Anderson except he didn't become a monster. Alucard's one wish was to be killed by a human who surpassed him, right?

Well, there's another crossover that I really want but but will never happen.
>>
>>162029789
A Mary Sue character is made perfect in literally every way without it being a joke. Saitama is a pretty obvious gag character. Seriously, OP, have you even watched/read OPM or have you just seen what /a/ posts about it.
>>
>>162029789
Saitama is not Inf. power. but a high high "Level" of power. The only ones I know who have unlocked this power is Saitama and Genus.
"I will carry it out even if I must do it all by myself"
"I've always wanted to be strong enough to send rotten villans flying with one punch!"
Blast might of unlocked this power aswell since he is as strong as saitama.

Human Eye > Monster cel
>>
File: Medaka_Kurokami.jpg (16KB, 350x292px) Image search: [Google]
Medaka_Kurokami.jpg
16KB, 350x292px
>>162030336
No the "deconstruction" of Mary/Gary Stu is medaka
Medaka box is the evangelion of shonen
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.