[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you enjoy harem hijinks in your animu and mangos?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

Do you enjoy harem hijinks in your animu and mangos?
>>
File: 1478324837023.png (190KB, 1100x1593px) Image search: [Google]
1478324837023.png
190KB, 1100x1593px
not really
i far prefer monogamous hand holding
>>
Yes but that probably makes me a bad person.
>>
File: 1428482366276.png (81KB, 583x415px) Image search: [Google]
1428482366276.png
81KB, 583x415px
>>
>>161837311
Yes.
>>
>>161837311
No I hate it quite a bit since it feels like the characters have no personality or purpose aside from being otaku wish fulfillment vessels. Romance has become boring as a whole since it is an overused tool of character motivation, but harem makes it even worse. Since the series focuses even more on it.
>>
>>161837311
Good girls being ruined by having them inanely squabble over the MCs dick drains my will to live.
>>
>>161837966
What's wrong with wish fulfillment?
>>
>>161838026
I prefer characters that can stand on their own two feet in terms of personality and goals rather than serving as empty self-insert vessels. Harem protags are twilight tier.
>>
>>161837311
only when they are all actually fucking and its not a big competition
>>
>>161838050
So you like characters who can do everything themselves. Grats, that's wish fulfillment.
>>
No
Easily one of the worst overused generes in anime
>>
>>161838106
This is not what I said at all, though. The character's competence is not a factor in what I stated.
>>
File: 1444244898556.png (141KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
1444244898556.png
141KB, 300x450px
If it's played more as comedy it's great, but I struggle to take the romance plot seriously if it's also doing that so the actual serious aspects of the romance have to be handled in a fitting way to the tone.

Monmusu is a good example of a good fitting tone that doesn't trivialize the girls feelings but also still maintains a healthy degree of levity, from what I've watched and read.
>>
>>161837311

When the MC acknowledges and wants to fuck his harem it's all good, if he's as dense as a black hole the whole thing should implode it's way to hell.
>>
>>161838160
Monmusu is alright because the females in the harem are also lewd towards each-other on the regular, so in essence the whole thing is a giant orgy rather than a single-direction attraction towards the MC. It balances things out a bit since they are like a giant fucked-up family.
>>
>>161838050
I like wish fulfillment and deep characters both but separately. It's like the difference between lust and love. One is a cheap but visceral imitation of the other, but I'd rather experience both in my escapism.
>>
>>161838171

Also bonus points for the harem getting along, they need to get along.
>>
Not really because the characters always exhibit an inhuman lack of sexuality, especially the dudes
>>
File: 1479661852421.jpg (356KB, 550x2650px) Image search: [Google]
1479661852421.jpg
356KB, 550x2650px
>>161837311
Yes I do.
>>
>>161838220
That too.

What I struggle to get into in some harem anime (the most common worst offenders being some VN adaptions due to their nature) is when each girl has a really serious arc with personal drama and all sorts of stuff, but then the MC just goes on with his life and moves onto the next girl.

Amagami got round this by just hard-resetting after each girls arc, essentially making every four episodes its own separate mini-series. A pretty simple solution.
>>
>>161838233
I get their appeal, they are just not for me. I never really feel like I am experiencing anything through the eyes of the character, it just feels like I am watching a shitty character. It might be because I have spent too many years analyzing different media so at this point I cant detach myself from it.
>>
>>161838330
I'm a fan of the omnibus format too. I didn't like that most recent one, Serien, though. I didn't like the girls' personalities. Amagami is great though and I'm really enjoying Tsurezure Children this season. I still need to clear Photokana off my backlog.
>>
>>161837311

I really dislike it. I don't understand how is that much overused.

If it's a comedy show that don't even take itself serious it's okay, but all these harem romantic shows trying to be serious and deep on the relationships when the characters act so unreal and sometimes even breaking how would they actually react it's just retarded.
>>
>>161838330
Monmusu kinda went there with the moms arc but then quickly went back to nobody giving a shit.
>>
>>161837311
I don't mind them, but it makes the world feel very shallow if every new important character starts pinning for the protagonist.
>>
>>161837311
I only hate it when I hate the MC or the girls are foreigners
>>
>>161837311
For me, there has to be a really good conceit to explain why the girls would put up with the situation.
Essentially the girls need to be held together by ties of friendship or other circumstances that they value more than monopolizing MC.
>>
>>161837311
why are Japanese so fixated on arch-types?
>>
>>161839168
It's a symptom of the serialized format. Manga gets weekly or monthly releases, with months between tankoubons, and LNs are on a similar schedule. There's always content, but it's in a bite-sized format. Fans are expected to jump around between dozens of titles. All of that provides a lot of flexibility and variety in your choices, but it can make it hard to kerp track of everything you're reading. The characters have to be memorable, and archetypes are easily remembered.
>>
Only if there's a harem end
>>
Harems are cringeworthy as fuck. Waah! I am a useless betafag who cant attract a woman to save his life so I have to watch a fake chinese cartoon guy get swarmed by a herd of fake girls to get some sort of fulfillment. Its pretty sad.
>>
>>161837311
I insist on them.
>>
Only if the MC is a cool guy and the girls aren't all whiny jealous bitches.
>>
File: 1494171902024.png (579KB, 912x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494171902024.png
579KB, 912x720px
>>161837311
If its mostly comedic. It gives me the right dose of wish-fulfillment and lightheartedness. Bonus points if the MC is actually hilarious himself.
>>
>>161837311
I'll never understand why proud and powerful women would lower themselves to swarm around just one male without ever being proactive and/or plot against each other.
>>
I only like subtle harems and implied yuri, but if its ecchi it has to be full blown ecchi with no plot allowed
>>
>>161839928
Why not let them enjoy it?
>>
>>161839928
>he needs another person to help him feel love and sexual pleasure
Classifiable as a disability
>>
>>161837311
No, not really. Unless whole girl cast.
>>
>>161837311
I can never decide - sometimes I love it, most of the time I hate it, but the benefit is that at least you get two or three good scenes with best girl.

Well, that's probably why they do it in the first place.
>>
>>161837311
I only hate insofar that it means that the author can't make more meaningful developments happen with 1 girl, and resort to the same cliched bullshit where other girls fall for the MC and the main girl gets jealous.

The worst part is that the main girl will literally always win, the other parts of the harem are just window dressing.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.