[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will there ever be another Dragon Ball?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4680.jpg (73KB, 720x517px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4680.jpg
73KB, 720x517px
I'm sure this topic has been talked about before and probably to death, but I'm just curious to see what current /a/ thinks

Dragon ball first started in 1984 and finished and continued in Z and went all the way until 1995 with 42 volumes of manga, 13 non canon movies, 444 episodes combined between DB and Z combined, not including Kai but then it came over a decade later to introduce a younger audience to this story

What I'm getting at, will there ever be another manga or anime that has had the impact on the medium, fans and the world? Like watchmen and the dark knight returns did for American comics? Like even though it's getting on in years it's still talked about to this day

Series like naruto, bleach and fairy tail and one piece were all inspired by DBZ, and each of those series came out 10 plus years after db or dbz, but I haven't seen them inspire a new generation of writers and mangaka the way that dbz has

Tldr: will any anime/manga ever be as big as Dragonball in the sense that it'll still be relevant 30 years later and inspire more creative writers down the line?
>>
Fuck no.

DBZ came at the perfect time to cause it to be an iconic cultural catalyst for anime.

No series ever will reach that level ever besides One Piece.
>>
Naruto is the closest thing, but no.
>>
>>161788598
One Piece is irrelevant in every country except Japan. It's nowhere near as huge as a phenomenom as Naruto. Like not even 10%.
>>
>>161788660
Agreed
>>
>>161788538
That heavily depends.
Since a huge chunk of anime now days is mostly fanservice and autism, it's pretty hard to tell. You'll have a lot of people that will tell you that it's impossible because it was the show which they grew up with so they'll most likely be biased.
>>
>>161788810
>now days
>>
>>161788538
Bleach and Naruto were more inspired by Togashi than DB.
Bleach was also strongly inspired by Saint Seiya.

>What I'm getting at, will there ever be another manga or anime that has had the impact on the medium, fans and the world?
Pokemon had a similar impact.

If we are only talking about Otaku culture than there are multiple works that have had a similar impact as DB.
>>
>Natsu

Every. Fucking. Time. Why do people who make this kind of picture always jumps to conclusion that Fairy Tail is from WSJ when it's from WSM?
>>
A lot of normies have been watching Death Note lately. Normies that would never watch autistic shit like Dragon Ball, Naruto or One Piece.
>>
>>161788896
I agree about Pokémon, considering it changed my opinion about rpgs, which I hated before I played it and then it made me nuts over rpgs, but the anime doesn't ever feel like it has an end in sight and really only ever piggie backed off of the game. I don't know that it'd be as successful if the game wasn't there next to it
>>
>>161789337

>Normies that would never watch autistic shit like Dragon Ball, Naruto or One Piece.

What are you talking about. DB, Naruto, OP, are what normies watch, just random fight scenes with muh new super form and nothing else. If someone watch DN he have watched any shounenshit before for sure.
>>
>>161789490
>DB, Naruto, OP, are what normies watch

No one who is not a permavigin would ever touch any of those.
>>
>>161789490
>>161789531
Normalfags don't watch anime, they watch tv shows like Game of Thrones and play League of Legends or Overwatch.
>>
>>161789337
>death note
Great anime and manga, but I'm not sure if it ever took the world by storm. I do remember all those weebs that would come to school with fake death notes and writing all sorts of shit and it certainly holds up

You may even have a decent argument considering it just got that netflix movie some 11 years after the manga and anime, and also had those Japanese films as well
>>
>>161788538
>>161788538
One punch man could have but it went down the shitter since Murata started adding his retarded story and bland characters after Boros.
>inb4 OPM fanboys
>>
>>161789150
> magazines define genre
>>
>>161789792
Did ONE take a break from writing since he started up mob psycho 100?

I've been planning on picking up the opm manga while waiting for season 2. Also for a show with such convoluted origins as starting out as a web comic, then manga and then anime, I'd hope it would inspire other writers to keep working on their self published works
>>
>>161789681
retard
they watch got AND db
watching db is on par with watching your daily fox news
>>
>>161788538
No. It's a matter of being the right thing, in the right place, at the right time. Time thing being the most critical.
>>
>>161789923
>they watch got AND db

Maybe that is true if they are kids or spics, otherwise I don't think so.
>>
>>161790033
You just might be right anon. After all, I don't even remember most people talking about anime or manga before then unless it's really old stuff like gundam or Astro boy
>>
>>161788538
Well One Piece is like that technically, the only comic series that outsell One Piece are Superman and Batman
>>
>>161788538

The only reason DB got ultra popular in the West was that it fell into the perfect after-school slot. Proof of this is that Naruto and Bleach both went into the same slot and did exceedingly well.

People seem to think Western markets are anything to do with quality but it's all about perfect association with a certain time slot or you'd see the spread of fandoms be WAY wider as people pick up something they like more than men screaming in a field for 30 minutes a day.
>>
>>161790369
Everyone knows who Superman and Batman are.
Goku is no where near as big, but still relatively popular.
Staceys at my work knew who Naruto is.
Nobody knows who the fuck is Luffy.
>>
>>161790485
>men screaming in a field for 30 mins a day

Kekekekek
>>
>>161789150
Why would they include Natsu but leave out Black Star
>>
>>161790485
This, but also keep in mind the content is still important. DBZ's simple inner power shit and constant one upping basically babbies first action drama.
>>
>>161788538
That fucked up perspective on luffy's mouth is pissing me off.
>>
>>161789792
It's still written by ONE
>inb4 OPM fanboi
>>
>>161788538
I think there are definitely manga waiting in the future that will have a tremendous impact on the landscape of not just fiction but modern culture. That impact will just take a different form, it won't be as readily identifiable because we'll be living in it rather than looking at something that's run its course. A number of anime/manga have come out since that have shaken things up a lot, like Neon Genesis Evangelion. It may not be to the same magnitude, but its influence still resonates through anime and manga. I think every era will have a big shakeup, whether or not it's so commercially successful is another story.
>>
>>161788660

My mom just went to europe and bought me a volume of one piece she saw them selling at a train station magazine shop in switzerland, it's popular everywhere but the US.
>>
>>161790613

>Nobody ((((in burgerland)))) knows who the fuck is Luffy

FTFY
>>
>>161793129
Spoken well
>>
Op here

I'm another way of saying it, Dave Chapelle once said about Richard Pryor : "the mark of greatness is when everything before you is obsolete, and everything after you bares your mark"

I'm just wondering what could render dbz obsolete and change the face of anime and manga as we know it
>>
>>161793333
By definition, DB is already obsolete. You have its corpse being dragged out by Super, but it doesn't have the same punch. Chappelle's statement sounds good, but when you think about it, it doesn't really work. People are still finding inspiration from Tezuka's works, Go Nagai's works, even Hokuto no Ken which precedes DB. Sure, the majority of people today may not actually digest these things, but their mark has been left and continues to deepen, though it's a crawl compared to yesterday's mad dash. The only thing that really phases something out is time, as conventions and sensibilities change to where people can't connect with something anymore. But really, if you think about it, the way humanity works is that it modernizes something old, directly or otherwise, because it's essential. I think a similar thing can be said of media. Mighty Atom/Astro Boy later took a new form as Mazinger Z, Ultraman took a new form as NGL. Now, I don't mean that these things took a new form in the literal sense, but one series became an inspiration for another, which became an inspiration for others yet. What inspired Mighty Atom? Disney and Fleischer. You can bet Disney and Fleischer's influence is still seen today. That's something to think about.
>>
>>161793551
>NGL
That should be NGE.
>>
File: 962095b7e73d194bcf20e2aece362e65.jpg (183KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
962095b7e73d194bcf20e2aece362e65.jpg
183KB, 1920x1080px
Attack on Titan has been the closest to be instantly ans massively kown around the world when its anime started. Even appeared in an episode of The Simpsons together Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach and Pokemon. The Simpsons chose those series as symbols of the anime
>>
>>161793155
no one knows what the fuck one piece is in the uk
>>
>>161788538
Yes. Zeno will get bored and make a couple hundred universes, then we will get Dragonball GT Super.
>>
>>161789792
Lmao can your little intellect understand that the only thing murata does is drawing?
>>
File: amusedtoriyama.jpg (49KB, 660x330px) Image search: [Google]
amusedtoriyama.jpg
49KB, 660x330px
>>161788538
>Goku letting a disgusting rat that is Natsu, not even a JUMP character, touch him
kek
>>
>>161788660
Wan Piss is pretty big here in Brazil.
>>
>>161788538
Yes OP, it is called One Piece and is arguably better/bigger than Dragon Ball

Burgers don't like it as much as DB though, but that's because they have shit taste.
>>
>>161790161
I don''t know where you could have possibly lived if you don't remember Dragon Ball being mainstream. Maybe you're underaged.
>>
>>161795535
Brazillians fans like watchung some pretty weird anime tho
>>
>>161789923
I think you misspelled Initial D there
>>
>>161795741
>OP
>impact on the medium, fans and the world?
Even OPs impact on the medium isn't nearly as large as DBs.
Worldwide DB is much bigger everywhere except in Japan.
>>
actually no, because DB was what made anime huge all over the world, and everything after has been influenced by DB one way or another.
>>
>>161788660
It's the best selling manga in France in life time but that also not saying much since OPM is selling more than OP per volume.
The only reason that it's the best selling manga is because it have 75 fucking volume in print
>>
>>161788660
t. Amerifat

The world doesn't revolve around you
>>
File: 1501432775991.png (850KB, 914x514px) Image search: [Google]
1501432775991.png
850KB, 914x514px
>>161789792
You fuckturd, ONE is still writing for it
>>
>>161795000
It fastly bombed
I would say that OPM had much more impact in the west
>>
>>161795000
So what's the DB reference in this supposed to be? Can't find it myself.
>>
>>161805618
The dragon
>>
>>161795535
Teu cu. Não chega aos pés de Naruto em popularidade.
>>
>>161788660
Naruto is for weeaboos. DBZ is for everyone.
>>
>>161806125
>>161795535
SOPA
>>
>>161806125
>>161806226
UMA
>>
>>161806260
DELICIA
>>
The problem is that Japan was fascinated with the overseas on the 80s and 90s so its cartoons have an international appeal in spite they weren't planned to reach an international audience. Since the 2000s, Japan has entered into a new age of isolationism where they're too depressed for the economical stagnation and they just want to be alone with their shitty cellphones and archaic ways that have been cancerous for the Japanese society but muh tradition is comfy even with the suicide rate and an increasing rate of neets. They don't want baka gaijins meddling in their country so they focused entirely on their own culture, what fueled the anime stagnation because the old classics were inspired by multiple sources and the old authors were huge westaboos while the modern authors only consume otaku shit and have no interest on anything outside their comfort zone. The industry is cannibalistic. Even DBS is more focused on Japanese culture than DBZ, the latter had a Chinese/western setting while Super is very Japanese by comparisson. They're still homages to western movies and pop culture icons because Tori is an old westaboo but the industry changed because Japan changed.
>>
>>161789834
>implying Shonen is a genre
>>
>>161789531
Naruto and Dragon Ball are popular with normies because they have kids who watch those shows. Dragon Ball is super well known by almost everyone. Implying normies don't know or don't like Dragon Ball is the same as saying normies don't know or don't like Superman or Batman. Dragon Ball is at THAT level of popularity.
>>
>>161789464
>I don't know that it'd be as successful if the game wasn't there next to it
They wouldn't even bother making it anymore if they weren't trying to move video games and trading cards.
>>
>>161806533
Sad, but true.
>>
>>161788896
And Togashi was following Kurumada's footsteps while making Yu Yu Hakusho (bishie team on sadistic adventures). Also Kishi said he loves Saint Seiya
>>
>>161788538
We just had SAO
>>
>>161788538
No
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.