[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people keep calling Shonen series a genre when they're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

Why do people keep calling Shonen series a genre when they're actually talking about battle series?
>>
File: 1262438149202.jpg (66KB, 794x480px) Image search: [Google]
1262438149202.jpg
66KB, 794x480px
>>161775833
>people are stupid
M-MASAKA
>>
Battle shounens are so ubiquitous that the terms are pretty much interchangeable at this point
>>
>>161776321
They aren't.

Shonen means Young Boy, Kid, or Boys.

Weekly Shonen Jump means Weekly Boys Jump.

Battle, Gag, and Detective are actual genres for manga.
>>
>>161776382
I know, but it has become pretty much a shorthand at this point
>>
battle manga in shounen magazines

not that hard
>>
>>161776382
Who care like what's the difference between a shonen from where they punch each other or one where they play sports or whetever?

None. It's shonen that's the genre. What they're actually competing in doesn't matter.
>>
>>161776382
Maybe you should check up on the definition of "ubiquitous". I know big words can be scary for a brainlet like you, but you'll never learn if you don't actually apply yourself. Replying to messages you have no idea what they're talking about would be a good thing to stop as well.
>>
>>161776798
>all shounen manga involve competition of some kind

Perhaps read more than three manga before posting next time.
>>
>>161776798
Because plenty of shounen manga aren't about that. That's just sports and battle manga, which developed as an offshoot of sports manga to begin with. That anon is correct.
>>
>>161776905
>plenty
Examples.
>>
>>161775833
>holy shit some people on the internet confuse genre with demographic
this happens everywhere and it doesn't impair communication, so why the fuck do we need to talk about it?
yeah it proves you don't know what you're talking about but seriously, it's not like anybody actually gives a shit.
>>
>>161777841
Death Note
>>
>>161776897
He's right though. Most shounen do involve competition, whether be fighting, sports, law enforcment, or whatever. They central conflict is almost always presented as competition
>>
>>161779879
I though Death Note was seinen, and I would call the rivarly between Light, L, and the law a competition. Light thought of it as a game and the Death Note even gave him rules to abide by for that game.
>>
The most popular are battle manga so that's what most people mean when they say shonen.
>>
>>161782155
Are you retarded?

Death Note was run in Shonen Jump.
>>
>>161782155
>I though Death Note was seinen
That's kind of sad.
>>
File: 1503861488144.png (272KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1503861488144.png
272KB, 853x480px
At this point it just became a buzzword that brainlets use to describe something they don't like.
>>
>>161776896

2/10
>>
>>161782155

I bet you think that death/blood = seinen
>>
>>161782155
Under that definition, wouldn't any story with conflict be a shonen?
>>
File: maid dragon.jpg (83KB, 600x878px) Image search: [Google]
maid dragon.jpg
83KB, 600x878px
>>161782155
Do you think seinen is all edgy and darkness?
It just means young adults who are old enough to read kanji.
pic related is from a seinen manga
>>
>>161785088
still feel weird this was adapted by KyoAni given the source material
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.