[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is an anime director as legitimate as a film director? What is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: miyazaki.jpg (82KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
miyazaki.jpg
82KB, 960x640px
Is an anime director as legitimate as a film director? What is the difference in skillset?
>>
>>161756250
>film
Live action I meant
>>
Anime directors are artists and therefore very often have better understanding of composition, color, movement, character design, environment, etc.

Film is a great medium with great people behind it but if animation wasn't so hard, so expensive and so time consuming there's no question that it would take over film. So to answer your question, they are as if not more legitimate, in my opinion. That's why every time someone tries to make something animated or drawn into a live action film they shit the bed, cause they can't do it.
>>
>>161756250
Usually takes the same level of work. While anime directors often have to give rough sketches of every shot they want, they don't have to deal with shit acting, stages and "cuts" as often, so the workload becomes the more or less the same. Anime directors might have a tiny bit less work per show, if anything, but they get more shows to work on, so really, it evens out.

As far as the importance of a director goes, anime directors has more, as their work is entirely imaginative. They require understanding of a lot more things before they can create something truly good.
>>
>>161756250
>anime films and OVA
legitimate
>anime TV
a joke, outside of a few cases
>>
Anime directors are Japanese and deal with animation.

The west hates animation so no they wouldn't think it's legit.
>>
>>161756250
I think that's a useless question because it depends on the person more than the job title.
>>
>>161756250
More legit. I would argue, since they have to motivate people two or three steps away from the performance the audience sees, rather than the actors the audience will see.
>>
Brad Bird

Just wait till miyazaki gets an offer from hollywood to direct spiderman 2
>>
>>161756250
I'd say it's equally as legit yes. Mainly because animation in general has more flexibility and potential than live action since you can do more with it. Of course, you'll rarely see westerners buy this line of thought thanks to Disney accidentally perpetuating the "cartoons are for kids" meme (although some places in Europe prove to be exceptions).
>>
>>161756250
I would agree with >>161756897
But in general I would say that both are about the same in expertise. There are basics aspects such as shot composition, pacing, etc. and both anime and film directors need more specific technical skillsets such as animation/character design/etc for anime directors and camera operation/lighting/sfx for film directors.
>>
In theory yes. In practice no.
>>
>>161756250
Is this the thread where we shit on Miyazaki and minority tries to defend him?
>>
File: ed415ae03dd0d560f1ac67ece2f94a22.jpg (783KB, 2861x2221px) Image search: [Google]
ed415ae03dd0d560f1ac67ece2f94a22.jpg
783KB, 2861x2221px
>>161756250
>Is an anime director as legitimate as a film director?
Comparing the director of 1995 GITS and the director of the 2017 live action will answer your question.
>>
>>161762563
Yes.

Also gonna use this as a soapbox to note just how shitty it is for Miyazaki to shit on modern anime.

Not for the fans. But for the numerous creatives that are working in the industry that were likely inspired by some of his work as kids. What an old crotchety dick bag.Pretentious to boot.
>>
Watanabe is legit
>>
>>161762629
He doesn't shit on modern anime so much as he shits on aspects of animation producing Japan which are bad. Have you ever read a word of what he's said?
>>
>>161763011
But he always manages to shoehorn some anime aspect in the critique?
>>
>>161763065
What?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.