[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Goodnight, Punpun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_6688.png (167KB, 560x478px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6688.png
167KB, 560x478px
Good Vibrations
>>
File: 1456863318101.png (734KB, 1944x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1456863318101.png
734KB, 1944x1400px
Objectively the greatest manga of all time.
>>
>>161719724
What's exactly the point of that shet.
Protip you the caracters are not.
>>
>>161719882
Muh caracters ar da best
>>
>>161720031
So what's the best of dat and i will repost is shet.
>>
cult arc is worst arc
>>
I read through the whole thing the last 7 days

Was kind of underwhelming. So did Punpun and Sachi end up together despite her keeping the kid?
>>
>Good vibrations
>still doesn't change the tone of the story
>>
>>161720376
>speedreads
>still has to ask questions
>>
>>161720599
so did they or didn't they?
>>
>>161720599
Is that really speedreading? I read the whole thing within one day, I think I got it down pretty good.
>>
>>161720718
It's complicated.
Sachi cares about PunPun and PunPun needs Sachi and her daughter to stay alive, even if he might not want to.

Sachi fills his need for a hard truth-crushing family love he never had from his mother.

He's getting better by the end. At least all his selfish childhood dreams are dead at last.
>>
>>161720376
He keeps his bond with Sachi, so he somehow has certain influence in the life of her child. The point is he decides to get attached to them in order to keep living even if he is fucking depressed, he even states that the meaning of sadness that came with the death of Aiko is fading, human brain is tricky and it forgets, that brings the depression of being unable to feel even properly sad.
>>
>>161719724
I never liked this screentime-filling faggot
>>
>>161719858
9.5 at most, and im being generous.
>>
File: 1797.jpg (154KB, 728x1026px) Image search: [Google]
1797.jpg
154KB, 728x1026px
This still kills me
>>
>>161723472
best boy
OTP
>>
>>161719724
Is good vibrations a euphamism for cult brainwashings?
>>
>>161723472
What really gets me the most about his whole arc is that it's hard to tell if Good Vibrations actually did anything at all in the end, or if that final scene of the group together in the afterlife is just another one of his delusions.

I powered through this all in about 3 days maybe two weeks ago. It was kind of a slog up until the turning point of Volume 11, but it's had a more lasting impression than almost anything else I read.
>>
>>161719724
him and the cult are the only things keeping opp from being a 10/10
>>
>>161724177
>but it's had a more lasting impression than almost anything else I read
This is my main issue with manga. Just almost nothing I read is memorable despite frequent cries from /a/ telling me manga is better than anime.
>>
File: 20140115_59003.jpg (35KB, 500x664px) Image search: [Google]
20140115_59003.jpg
35KB, 500x664px
So I recently finished the whole thing, and I've got a question that I haven't been able to find decent information on anywhere.
What the fuck was the point of Good Vibrations man in the story?
I've read an interview with the author where he suggested that every single thing in the story was there for a reason but it seems like the whole cult is just kinda pointless.
>>
>>161724590
2deep4U
>>
>>161724698
Thanks for the meme and the (you) but could anyone who actually has a grasp of the story give me a serious answer?
>>
>>161719724
This city gathered all of Japan's mental patients.

Everyone is unrealistically weird.
>>
>>161724733
He's right.
>>
>>161725300
Alright so if it's too deep for me then help me understand. Surely you know what's going on since you know that other anon is right?
>>
>>161725339
That's a correct assumption.
>>
>>161719724
I skipped every single page that included this shit.
>>
>>161725339
why do you think the cult thing is pointless? define pointless in the context of the story.
>>
>>161725460
Please stop fucking around anon. I'd like to know
what other people think about Good Vibrations man's place in the story because I think it would enhance my enjoyment of this great manga.
>>
>>161725550
Thanks for sharing that you're a fucking tasteless idiot who read a manga you didn't even understand. Good to know.
>>
>>161719858
>read it
>expect some real philosphil stuff
>it's about a boy, who is just an idiot and autist
>I love her!!!, but I don't have the guts to do something
>my aunt took my virginity, but I was just a little shyboy and couldn't do anything
>in the end 2 people died because of my actions but who cares I just chill here with the girl wo said she loves me, because I don't have anyone else

Literally overrated
>>
>>161725613
>>161725339
>>161724590
Pegasus is part of the juvenelian satire of Punpun--similar to the entire story about publishing an edgy story, which, in all honesty, sounds just like Oyasumi Punpun itself. What's the point of discussing why your own manga, characters, and themes are immature; even defending them in the face of overwhelming legitimate criticism? It's because it acknowledges that the author isn't writing about a subject which is foreign to the reading audience. In fact, it's likely they've had the fantasy of attempting to put their own personal angst--their feeling of existentialist isolation--into a permanent media. The entire exchange is thus sarcastic, that Punpun isn't deep because of its subject, if anything it's incredibly shallow and that makes it all the more appealing, in that Punpun's problems are in themselves unremarkable. That's why Punpun's nephew will be born with the same issues he experiences, and will be haunted by the same God that Punpun saw.

So, what exactly is Pegasus? He's a lunatic, but the same indecipherable lunatic that everyone has seen at some point or another, even in real life. Yet, he has a family and a history, even a legal name, philosophy, and a group of adherents who claim to understand his jargon. Pegasus is one part a surreal joke about modern society, and another the understanding that even crazy people have their own internal logic and history. If you relate with Punpun, think of Pegasus as a mirror which allows you to view how others may see Punpun's character. "Why does he say that? Why is he crying again? He just coops himself up in his room all day. He tried to rape me," it's all identical to when even a reader is left wondering, "Why is Pegasus on the news, why does he keep making those gestures, why do people spend their time with him, etc., etc.
>>
>>161723144
Don't kid yourself, its a perfect 10.
>>
>>161725607
Pointless is probably the wrong word. It didn't seem like the way the story with the cult unfolded
had much to do in relation to punpun's life other than the scene where he tries to recruit him,
only to fuck off because God (which we know is punpun's inner desires) has too strong a hold on him.
Is God, and I don't mean specifically punpun's God, but just the idea in general, the Black Spot that
he's trying to fight? What are the philosophical points that Asano is trying to make with this character
in contrast to Punpun? The manga sets him up to be some sort of christ figure in a lot of symbolism,
but is he just delusional? It's hard to tell what's going on in the reality of the manga when a lot of characters
confirm and deny how Mr. Good Vibrations is functioning.
>>
>>161725760
Furthermore, Pegasus adds colour to the expansive universe that doesn't focus solely on Punpun. Just as Punpun isn't the only one dealing with the angst of young adulthood, there's potentially millions of people suffering through unimaginable circumstances, and some--understandably--are going to find mysterious ways of dealing with it. Essentially, what Punpun is really looking for is "good vibrations," but what that is changes by the individual, and is such a vague subject that it probably is a representative of the ideal, illusory happiness everyone wants; whether it's from being a mangaka, having sex, or holding faith in certainty. Pegasus finds a cult of loyal adherents because his image and his hopes aren't alien, just as Punpun likely isn't alien to many readers; even though Pegasus is obviously designed to be verging on being a literal alien, something of a parody of cult leaders who believe flying saucers will save them from life. The best detail about this is the fact that Pegasus' right hand seeks to guarantee his predictions, and Pegasus is also legitimately correct about what he sees, feels, and hopes for--even if his brother does not value him, even if he lies dead, and even if Punpun or anyone else doesn't understand him.

Perhaps the best way to summarize it is the irony that the story ends by comparing various "endings" in themselves. Punpun's old friend settles into adult responsibility and has a satisfyingly mediocre life; but from the experience of the comic, we know it's not because he has never wanted for anything. Punpun himself is a parent, literally surrounded by friends, and has found stability; but there's only tears in his eyes, because his regrets cannot be superceded by future or present pleasures, only by impossible corrections to his past. Pegasus accomplishes nothing of recognizable success, is constantly made a fool of, and ultimately murdered, but with the happiness that comes from within, he's the strongest character.
>>
>>161725760
That bit about Pegasus being a mirror makes a lot of sense. If most people encountered someone like Punpun in real life then they'd
probably wonder what the hell his problem is, but we wouldn't ever get to see his internal logic and the experiences that he's had up to
that point. In the manga we get to see Punpun growing up since he was a baby, and get to see his innermost thoughts all the time.
Pegasus could very well be a person that makes "sense" if we had gotten a similar perspective that we do with Punpun, but since we
dont, he just seems like an incomprehensible person.
>>161725874
Thanks anon, that was real cool of you. Excellent posts.
>>
Sachi was better than Aiko
>>
File: aiko.png (211KB, 716x328px) Image search: [Google]
aiko.png
211KB, 716x328px
This smile should've been protected.
>>
>>161725928
I'm certain if people met Punpun in real life, they wouldn't understand him; simply because characters in the comic which are just routine normies don't get him, and many readers will pick it up because of the art, and then drop it because they don't have any sympathy for the protagonist beyond the childhood chapters.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.