[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

According to my computer, I saved this chart in September 2008.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

File: 1326323838549.jpg (391KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1326323838549.jpg
391KB, 1000x1000px
According to my computer, I saved this chart in September 2008. Does it still hold up today?
>>
>>161715372
I watched all of these bar LOGH, Morbito, Minami-ke, and Kaiji by 2009.

I'd say it holds up especially the point on /a/ hovering around crap like a fly.
>>
>>161715372
First stage viewing is a bit outdated but the second stage viewing is still fine
>>
>>161715372
desu that's actually a pretty good list, although everything there would have graduated up a stage by now, and the new first stage would be filled with everything popular post 2010; SHAFTshit, Steins;gate and the Madhouse collection.

The only problem is a distinct lack of Spice and Wolf.
>>
The only thing I think is outdated is mentioning "other Key shit". It's true back then Key was part of /a/'s essential meme shows but these days, they've fallen to the wayside in terms of memory.
>>
>>161715372
>near the top of its subgenre
>moribito, mushishi, mononoke
>not the absolutely unrivaled top of its genere

>harder to get into
>fucking eureka of all things, utena, gits-sac, HARUHI what?!, cardcaptor sakura, flcl, honestly any of this
None of these shows are hard to get into, especially not the ones I listed. The only reason one could consider LotGH or Planetes to be is because they are slow and in case of the former have 110 fucking episodes. But seriously listing FLCL, Haruhi or E7, which are literally three of the most entry level shows in existence is pretty damn laughable. The guy who made this definitely has most of favourites as part of the "second viewing stage".
>>
>>161715372
flcl and haruhi are shit. and cowboy terribly overrated. the rest are either good, masterpieces, or havent watched them yet.
>>
>>161715372
It's not a bad intro but hardly what I would recommend
>>
non of that shit i can self insert, so fk off
>>
>>161715372
>the following sites are your friends
>MAL
wew
>>
>>161719703
>I keep a .txt file like a contrarian
>>
Start with katsudo shashin and go up from there
>>
Terrible. Any list recommending trash like Cowshit Bebop or TTGetthefuckoffmyboard is irredeemable.
>>
>>161719808
Not him but MAL is a shit website for scoring anime, there are way better options out there Anon. And if you dont give a shit about the community then you have even less reason to use that webstie.
>>
>>161715372
>BUY MORE HARUHI DVD'S
Oh god, I had forgotten.
And still fucking kyoani with their no season 3.
But yeah, that chart looks like a good place to start as any.
>>
>>161719325
Eureka SeveN is actually very difficult to get into and is more complex than your favorite series, by far.
It's literally the opposite of 'entry-level'. People bitch about it being incoherent and slow, they were just yesterday when they decided to shitpost in my thread. It can only be misinterpreted if one does not understand the genre, especially UC Gundam, very well. Its most subtle elements will only make sense with a proper understanding of 19th and 20th century Western ideology. The absolute centrality of the entire series will just be missed if one doesn't have at least some knowledge of contemporary theory in deep ecology and ecotheology. I doubt you even know who wrote the Golden Bough.
I fucking dare you to actually stand up for your post and provide an actual criticism of any series you've listed as 'not hard to get into', you're lucky I only know one of them extremely well.
Now, apologize for being a brainlet.
>>
>>161720123
>understand the genre, especially UC Gundam
Despite what Gundam fags may believe, Gundam isnt a genre and Gundam as an IP has no depth whatsoever, not even by mecha standards.
>>
>>161720207
I didn't say Gundam is a genre, I said that it's filled with somewhat important allusions to UC Gundam. That is undeniable. It could even be passed as a Gundam series with some tweaks.
You're fucking insufferable.
>>
>>161715372
This list has a lean towards slow shows, but they're all pretty good. Personally I'm not keen on Macross Plus though.
>>
>>161720265
Then you should learn how to properly phrase sentences.

>It could even be passed as a Gundam series with some tweaks
Very hard thing to do considering that the IP stretches from Romeo and Juliet in form of 08th, over shoe-horned environmentalist narrative in form of Turn-A, all the way to what is essentially "dont even try" in form of IBO. Very hard to "fit into that IP", especially since SEED, Wing and Greco expand it even further.
>>
>>161720385
I did properly phrase my sentences, ESL-kun.
>>
>will give you a good breadth and foundation of viewing
>no nge
>>
>>161720586
Definitely a smart idea to tell someone to watch NGE as one of their first shows with the second halfs production value being as abysmal as it is. Besides, what sort of foundation does watching NGE even give you? The realization that its hard to design a worse looking main cast?
>>
>>161720796
Pupa
>>
>>161720796
Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon
>>
>>161720854
Nice underrated troll rec. We should really recommend that piece of shit more often.
>>
modern /a/ would replace Utena with Madoka.
>>
>>161720967
At least it's not Boku no Pico. That one's recommended way too often as a troll rec.
>>
>>161720972
And someone who doesnt suffer from chronically shit taste wouldnt list either.
>>
>>161715372
>MAL
>>
>>161720972
Rightfully so.
>>
File: 1388671509022.jpg (446KB, 1600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1388671509022.jpg
446KB, 1600x2400px
>>161715372
>2002+15
>using and reposting a single chart
http://animu-mango.wikia.com/wiki/Anime_Recommendations
https://www.lolicatgirls.com/a/recommended%20anime/

>recommending the shittiest macross
Also the severe lack of slapstick comedy and romance is disturbing.
Oh I get it, it's a meme chart.
>>
>>161720653
>Besides, what sort of foundation does watching NGE even give you?
You can't be serious.
>>
File: 1500322579952.png (316KB, 743x355px) Image search: [Google]
1500322579952.png
316KB, 743x355px
Where the fuck is Evangelion on this shit tier list?
>practically the reason this website exists
>arguably the best anime ever made
>talked about fucking daily on this website over twenty years later
>revolutionized late night anime
>>
>>161721390
Why dont you answer the question instead of pretending that NGE is anything else but an Ideon copy with horribly production value throughout its second half, atrocious character design and a really dislikeable cast in general? What sort of foundamental knowledge does that series give you? That waifus sell? And please dont burst into tears now, I am not even saying the NGE is bad. I simply want you to answer the question and justify your claim.
>>
>>161721437
Eva should be properly watched in its natural environment: VHS copies on a CRT television in the late 90's when you're going through puberty. There's no reason to watch it otherwise, as the experience is drastically inferior.
>>
>>161721547
I watched it when I was done with puberty and I still think it's one of the greatest TV anime of all time.
>>
>>161720653
>>161721445
>>161721445
>entire argument based on the fact NGE is similar to Ideon
>doesn't even mention the live action shows Ideon is based of
Congratulations on discovering how the world works.
I guess people should just stop studying any sort of mechanism since it's obviously a copy of the first wheel.
5/10 bait, got me to reply.
>>
>>161721595
You still havent explained how NGE provides any fundamental knowledge of the medium that will help you in the longrun.
>>
>>161721642
It's incredibly well made, it's incredibly popular, and it's incredibly influential. What the hell else do you need?
>>
File: google it motherfucker.jpg (90KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
google it motherfucker.jpg
90KB, 1280x720px
>>161721642
I'm not even the guy you're arguing with, m8.
But if the lack of resources is your problem, here, I'll help you:
https://scholar.google.com.br/scholar?hl=en&q=neon+genesis+evangelion&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C5&as_sdtp=&oq=neon+genesis+e
>>
>>161721642
>it's included in likely 95% of every other "recommendation chart"
>he still thinks it shouldn't be
Maybe the entire internet is wrong and you are right.
>>
>>161721716
>It's incredibly well made
Excuse me?

>it's incredibly influential
Its only influence is the fact that it changed the format anime were being distributed in. This has literally no meaning to the average viewer unless he get into this medium in chronological order, and not even then it really has since the him there is no real difference between an OVA and a tv show since he just binge watches a bunch of files.

>it's incredibly popular
Which is the reason for its influence, so a mood point.

>>161721786
Missing the point. Also:
>google.scholar to back up your claim
Might as well cite urbandictionary.
>>
>>161715372
Baccano, 5cm, girl who leapt through time, Dennou Coil, Azumanga daioh, Haruhi, Monster and Beck weren't good back then and they certainly aren't good now.
Also, the list is outdated as fuck.
>>
>>161721837
>Maybe the entire internet is wrong and you are right.
I am going to repeat myself so you mentally disabled little bimbo stop ignoring the point: I didnt claim that NGE was bad (which would be a reason to not include it on a recommendation chart), I asked how it provides fundamental knowledge of the medium that will help a viewer in the longrun, because thats you/that clown claimed.
>>
>>161721839
>Google Scholar provides a simple way to broadly search for scholarly literature. From one place, you can search across many disciplines and sources: articles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions, from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities and other web sites.
>Google Scholar helps you find relevant work across the world of scholarly research.
>Urban Dictionary is a crowdsourced online dictionary of slang words and phrases that was founded in 1999 as a parody of Dictionary.com and Vocabulary.com
Ironically, most UrbanDic entries also praise EVA for being a complex series that still manages to entertain a variety of tastes.
Here, I assume you have trouble google'ing things:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Neon%20Genesis%20Evangelion
>>
>>161721839
>meaning to the average viewer
It's one of the most classic anime in existence. It had an huge impact on the industry and its fans. An anime fan who never watched NGE is like a philosophy student who never read Aristotle.
>>
>>161721839
>Its only influence...
Notably, Kaworu clones and Rei clones abound to this day. Although both characters have their roots in prior shows, the clones as we know them today draw more heavily from Eva's iterations of the archetypes.
>>
>>161722076
>most classic anime in existence
So are the original Mobile Suit Gundam or Uchuu Senkan Yamato but you wont call people out for not having watched those, neither will you tell recommend them to watch them.

>had an huge impact on the industry and its fans
Again, literally nothing to do with fundamental knowledge since all it did was change the way shows were broadcasted in. This might have value to you if you were Japanese, but I dont think an English recommendation chart is for Japanese people.

>>161722019
>you can search across many disciplines and sources: articles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions, from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities and other web sites.
Re-read this bit again. What does it tell you? How regulated and limited are the listed resourced really? Lets just go with the combination of [articles] and [other web sites]. What does that tell you?

>Ironically
The only ironic thing here is that you basically proved my point in showing that the two are comparable.
>>
File: 1470961263507.jpg (65KB, 566x478px) Image search: [Google]
1470961263507.jpg
65KB, 566x478px
>>161721970
>I asked how it provides fundamental knowledge of the medium that will help a viewer in the longrun
I'm sorry I thought this was entertainment.
If everything on the chart needs to meet your criteria, we might as well remove half of it.

Last Exile is a script and continuity failure, with no known legacy besides some underspoken steampunk. Doesn't provide fundamental knowledge of the medium.
5cm/s is a niche drama, with themes too mature for younger audiences, only employed and perfected by Shinkai in the entire genre. Doesn't provide fundamental knowledge of the medium.
Mushishi is a brilliant deviant SoL, UNIQUE to its segment. Doesn't provide fundamental knowledge of the medium.
FLCL is self explanatory. Doesn't provide fundamental knowledge of the medium.

You know what provides fundamental knowledge of the medium according to your standards?
Naruto.
It's the culmination of all shounen tropes and settings with the required amount of fanservice, edge, comedy, stereotypes and cardboard romance. By watching Naruto you can have a clear understanding of how 3/4 of the shounen action genre is structure.
Do you really want to recommend Naruto?

I'm done replying to you. You're either really committed to baiting or just plain stupid.
>>
File: 1336944014646.jpg (3MB, 3380x3622px) Image search: [Google]
1336944014646.jpg
3MB, 3380x3622px
>>161722228
>neither will you tell recommend them to watch them
Actually, they are on the same charts as NGE
>>
>>161715372
Guess you missed the Eromanga boom
>>
>>161722328
>they are found on a single one of those charts
>that single chart includes 169 shows
Very filtered recommendation chart, might as well just open MAL and sort by genre. No shit will shows show up if you basically list everything that is part of its subgenre.
>>
>>161721839
>EVA isn't well made
Years later, people who still jerk off the scene where Kaworu dies, which exists entirely due to budget cuts. Anno managed to make a ridiculously iconic scene with exactly two frames. That's the sort of thing anyone involved in finances gets hard over.

Meanwhile, NGE's characters are still reused over and over as they've become archetypes all by themselves. Shinji himself was actually reused to a degree in a show in the OP, by the by. I'm sure if you are as much of an anime expert as you make yourself out to be, you'll already know what it is.
>>
>>161722228
I'm not the guy who said that stuff about fundamental knowledge as I don't even know what the fuck that means in this context. Which anime even does that?
>>
>>161722228
>How regulated and limited are the listed resourced really?
Since when people's opinions need to be regulated and limited? Are you from China or something?
There are over 1k published entries over 20 years mentioning Evangelion and its accomplishments. If this isn't proof of how prominent this series is in the anime spectrum, I expect you can explain why so many people would PUBLISH essays about it.

>that the two are comparable
The only comparison that can be made is that both are available online. Or do you wish to show me a urban dictionary entry on google scholar?
>>
>>161719915
>"X is shit, you shouldn't use it, there are more options"
>doesn't post any option
>>
>>161722514
>opinions
Thats not very scientific, now is it?

>mentioning Evangelion and its accomplishments
Obvious outcome due to its popularity and the fact that it completely changed the way anime were distributed. Still doesnt back the initial claim.

>why so many people would PUBLISH essays
See above. If something is popular it will receive attention either way, whether its good or not. The Fast and the Furious has 1.2k published entries as well.
>>
File: 1440544200676.jpg (108KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1440544200676.jpg
108KB, 500x500px
>>161722446
>hur dur it's a single chart
Well too bad faggot, it's actually a collage of 6 different charts. And NGE is in all of them except the one which lists movies only.
Here, have more charts >>161721314
There's a metric shit ton of Neon Genesis Evangelion everywhere you look.
You're done faggot, go back to choking in a dick.
>>
>>161722631
I'd just end up being accused of shilling and eventually would get banned. I dont gain anything from it.
>>
>>161722659
Read reply chains retard. He linked that chart pointing out that Yamato and MSG were on it. However, since that picture consists of 6 charts, and either of them are only mentioned in a single one that consits of 169 shows, it doesnt prove anything. In fact, its actually proving my point that "influence on the medium" and "being recommended" are two completely different pairs of shoes. I mean holy hell, listing 13 space operas of course that show will show up, there hardly even are 13 of them.
>>
>>161719808
It's not a .txt file, it's a spreadsheet
>>
File: explain further.png (52KB, 180x240px) Image search: [Google]
explain further.png
52KB, 180x240px
>>161722636
Isn't your whole argument
>it doesn't provide fundamental knowledge of the medium
So explain to me how a series that "completely changed the way anime were distribute", your exact words and received vast "popular attention", your words again doesn't provide fundamental knowledge of the anime medium?
Please, do enlighten me.
>>
>>161715372
>hating the witches
Go back to Gaia, faggot!
>>
>>161722857
The distribution of the product has no value to the viewer. If I hand you the files for MSG 0083 Stardust Memory then you will not know, or care, whether its an OVA or a TV show. It has no meaning to you. Thats precisely what NGE did. It changed the landscape in a way that promoted late night TV shows over selling OVA, no more no less. The overall content wasnt necessarily different, the only thing that changed was its accessibility. Instead of being forced to buy physical copies you could simply watch it on free-tv/pay-tv.
>>
>>161721437
>>practically the reason this website exists
What.
>>
>>161723033
>no more no less
Aren't you forgetting the massive sales of merchandise? The establishment of the culture of turning even used animation cells into trading items, something only diehard collectors would have a couple of years before? The fact NGE is still milked to the day?
Switching to cable means the popularization of niche genres, and it likely contributed to the popularization of many major 2000~2002 anime.
"Oh but this means nothing to the consumer of precure media"
What about the multiple mecha and action series that would be released based on NGE's pattern and storyboard? Aren't they relevant?
Having watched the franchise that inspired them all not fundamental knowledge of the medium?
>>
>>161715372
That list was never good nor did it ever hold up.

t. here since 2006
t. watching anime for over 20 years
>>
What's with all the autism?
The only reason why NGE is always a good pick for these charts is because it's easily accessible for everyone. Not only on file availability (there are HD rips everywhere) but also because from all the old mecha series, it's the one with the simplest plot and narrative. Factor in exciting action, a twist in the end and voilĂ .
For someone new to anime or mecha, that's more than enough. Who gives a flying fuck about its influence, trivia or what ever.
Simple as that.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.