[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does he ever display any redeeming qualities? Kamina is easily

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_2602.jpg (32KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2602.jpg
32KB, 240x240px
Does he ever display any redeeming qualities? Kamina is easily the worst part about this show and im about to just quit watching it. Screw spoilers, does he ever become an actually good character or is he just a badly written "lol what a dick" until the end?
>>
he dies like 4 episodes in
>>
>>161691298
This is bait.
But in case it isn't, the only reason you think he's a dick is because you are intimidated by people like him.
>>
>>161691298

Keep watching, you might be misunderstanding the intention of the writers right now in regards to him being the way he is and others accepting him. You'll see what the point of him is later.
>>
The show jerks off Kamina for the entirety of the series.
Just drop it, the only people who find him to be not a complete waste of air are children and people with the mental capacity of children.
The only way for non-impaired humans to enjoy this is by the means of a prefrontal lobotomy.
>>
>>161691298
I hate you.
>>
>>161691298
Why do you make these unnecesarilly contrarion TTGL every week op?
>>
File: Kaminarox.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Kaminarox.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
I think Gurren is pretty cool guy. Eh kills beast men and doesn't afraid of anything
>>
>>161691298
Only permanent beta male dislike Kamina.
>>
File: 1464232210169.jpg (213KB, 503x503px) Image search: [Google]
1464232210169.jpg
213KB, 503x503px
>>161691298
>dick

Explain yourself, OP. He was a true bro.
>>
>>161691298
OP confirmed to never have a brother or bro-tier friend
cuck
>>
File: 14984566812176.png (284KB, 440x388px) Image search: [Google]
14984566812176.png
284KB, 440x388px
>>161692759
>it's a Kamina encourages Simon once with an empty speech that sounds good but contains no advice whatsoever and proceeds to completely forget about him for the rest of the time and undermine him at every turn episode
>>
>>161691442
>the intention of the writers right now
you mean like how they couldn't figure out how to reconcile the beginning and the end, so they had to retcon/ignore their own shitty writing/planning. it's a fun show, but if you think it has any sort of deep writing, you're delusional.
>>
>>161692751
>Only permanent beta male dislike Kamina.

Kamina was a loud mouthed braggart who had to hide behind the back of a kid and rushed in head first leaving everyone else to clean up his mistakes
>>
>>161692975
This is why I can't take the show seriously.
Had any realistic human beings been in that show they would've rightfully punched him in the face and exposed him for the all-bark-no-bite pussy he really was.
>>
>>161692793

>tfw black star never died

This and the garbo ending man
>>
>>161693048
Black Star is who Kamina wishes he'd be.
>>
>>161692793
So according to you Kamina have to suck Simon's 1 inch every second.
>>
>>161693906
No, ESL.
Giving him an ounce of respect would be enough, or treating him as an equal, or a friend.
Simon is nothing to Kamina but a prop to make him look like an older brother figure.
>>
>>161691298
He was a coward who put up a hothead facade to keep himself and everyone around him feel safe and in charge. It's pretty tragic now that I think about it.
>>
>>161694052
A bus driver without a license crashing everyone into a ravine is tragic too, but it's also really stupid.
>>
>>161691527
Feels like there's been one everyday for the past week
>>
>>161691298
imagine being so stupid that even gurren lagann is too much for your tiny brain
>>
>>161692793
Kamina literally states that Simon was the method to his madness, and he's the one that turned his words into actions.
He never once forgot about him, in fact, he was the only one who still believed in him when everyone was doubting him.
>>
File: 1471192591919.png (147KB, 313x319px) Image search: [Google]
1471192591919.png
147KB, 313x319px
>>161693004
>Had any realistic human beings been in that show they would've rightfully punched him in the face and exposed him for the all-bark-no-bite pussy he really was.
This is the entire fucking point. The only one that comes close to being a realist is Rossiu, and we all know how that turns out.
The setting itself, the entire concept of Spiral power, it acts completely based on "doing the impossible, kicking reason to the curb" this is a world where idealism and belief triumphs over realism and logic by literal fuck you magic.
At the beginning of the show. humanity was depressed and downtrodden living in caves that needed to constantly expand or they'd be forced to control the population, worse more, they just couldn't see beyond that, they were complacent in their belief that this was life, there was no "surface"
Then here comes the idealist Kamina, a loud braggart that hides his weakness behind a façade of charisma and fearlessness, knowing, believing that Simon will always find a way to save the day, and he really does.
It's not about what Kamina is, it's what he achieves by being who he is, he wasn't the hero humanity deserved, but he was the one they needed at that moment.
His speeches might have been dumb if analyzed for even a second, but his voice, his headstrong almost improv stance on the frontlines of the revolution was what made said revolution possible in the first place, it was what gave Simon the courage to act and be all he could be.
His entire character is that of the hypeman, the charismatic face the larger than life unachievable ideal, and all wrapped around a layer of duality when Kamina himself admits that he's nothing more than that, and knows that he'd get nowhere without Simon always being there to pull everyone out of the fire.
>>
Kamina is Lenin
And TTGL is commie propaganda
>>
>>161691298
We get it OP, you don't have to post every week that you're about to quit watching the show.
>>
>>161693981
Kamina inspired Simon to be more than a pathetic sniveling little bitch. He took him under his win and made hime a man, and got him to do somethin other than spend all of his days digging, what more could you expect from him?
>>
File: Good times.jpg (427KB, 956x3381px) Image search: [Google]
Good times.jpg
427KB, 956x3381px
>>161694277
>Rossiu

Whew, what a day.
>>
>>161694381
I liked Rossiu
>>
>>161694277
More like the entire fucking problem.
How am I supposed to connect with characters who are devoid of any human features psychologically?
I feel more kinship with shellfish then I do with any of the characters in this show. Is that on purpose? Because then I'd say it's a pretty huge failure of a purpose.
Sure you can write a story about people who act completely differently then normal people but that in any other circumstance would be called bad writing, making it a feature doesn't mean it's fucking terrible.
How is it different from having an empty self-insert as a protagonist? That's on purpose too and I don't call it good.
>>161694372
He did exactly none of that, Kamina not being there would be preferable for Simon's growth if it were not for O MY SPIRAL POWER.
>>
>>161694441
>doesn't mean it's
doesn't mean it isn't
>>
>>161694381
Realistically Rossiu was a good character if you think about it, he never wanted any of that shit to happen and tried to stay calm and fix an unfixable situation.
GAINAX did a good job of playing with people's emotions here.
>>
>>161691298
>Drills: The Anime
>redeeming qualities
What do you think?
>>
>>161694467
Yes, it was intented to at first to be enraged at him, then to take a loot at his human side and feel bad for misjudging him.
>>
>>161694495
Honestly, i was so fucking mad they tore down the statue of Kamina, i was expecting Simon to go ballistic.
I guess its understandable since if it wasn't for spiral power in the first place, none of it would have happened, humans wouldn't have even been driven underground.
>>
>>161691449
*tips fedora* I agree m'sir
>>
>>161694612
>Honestly, i was so fucking mad they tore down the statue of Kamina
I thought it was symbolic, kinda like people like Kamina are only needed during times of distress, but during peace they are nothing more then thorn for people like Rossiu, who are truly needed in times like that.

Probably i was thinking too hard about cartoon with giant robots and drills.
>>
>>161694441
Listen here anon since you seem to be having a hard time grasping what the writers was trying to say here. The dynamic between the two MC's is telling us that you and anyone else can be a hero or can make a change but, due to [s]being pussy[/s] fear, are unable to do shit. Kamina's purpose throughout the show was to plant this idea to all the cave people; and who is the perfect guy to reinforce this idea than someone who's an idiot and powerless. If you want to shit on something better understand the concept first so you don't look like an idiot. Quite crying about muh MC should be strongest and watch Naruto if you want something like that.
>>
>>161694657
Its fairly realistic in a sense that an angry mob will tear down statues just for the sake of it.
Just look at america right now, they literally tore down a statue of Abe Lincoln
>>
Fuck off, Kamina is the best
>>
>>161694695
If Kamina was charismatic that would be one thing, but the problem is he barely tries to be and he encounters zero adversity, no criticism or backlash, until he gets disintegrated.
That's fucking retarded, spiral bullshit or not. Even worse it's ALIEN as in it makes you feel as if the characters in the anime aren't people. Why have an alien story trying to impart a moral on a human audience? Is this some arthouse bullshit masquerading as a super robot anime?

And about "being a pussy", well hey there you fucking have it. The only character who apparently has the power to fake not being a pussy IS KAMINA. Gary Stu Presto, we have a magical shonen bullshit self-insert who all the kiddoes can call oniisan, even though any scrutiny shows him to be a coward and an asshole.

You know a good character whose power is to inspire and mesmerize people? Friend, hell even the Major from Hellsing has that.
>>
>>161694866
>characters have to be flawless otherwise theyre shit
>>
>>161694930
>Friend and Major are flawless
You see how your post doesn't make sense?
I'll save you the trouble of posing all those characters which are inherently or completely flawed as humans and yet better than Kamina.
I'm sure you can list them yourself.
>>
>>161694866
>he encounters zero adversity, no criticism or backlash
Did you even watch the show? I'm not even gonna bother to shoot this down

>Even worse it's ALIEN as in it makes you feel as if the characters in the anime aren't people.
What does this have to do with Kamina's character again?

>apparently has the power to fake not being a pussy IS KAMINA.
Being stupid and charging in without fear of your own death is the reason he was criticized and received heavy backlash from most humans before they figured out he might have a point you moron and is what ultimately lead him to his death. Seriously what more do you want from him?
>>
File: 1488363341507.jpg (656KB, 2500x1858px) Image search: [Google]
1488363341507.jpg
656KB, 2500x1858px
>>161694441
You've never met someone who was obnoxiously positive, always talking up himself and his friends? I'm not getting how this is not only unbelievable to you but actually makes you type something as ridiculous as "devoid of any human features psychologically".
>were not for O MY SPIRAL POWER
>if this were a different show and setting, this character wouldn't make sense! I sure told those anons
>>
File: 1473299650647.jpg (372KB, 1394x2662px) Image search: [Google]
1473299650647.jpg
372KB, 1394x2662px
>>161694866
You're making this grand leap, from "Kamina inspires people and has no flaws" to "the whole cast is completely unbelievable". From "Kamina can fake bravado" to "Kamina is a complete Mary Sue". You got a massive hateboner for this show, anon.
>>
>>161695133
/thread
>>
>>161694866
They intentionally set Kamina up as a ridiculous, larger-than-life ball of bluster and success specifically so they can remove him and make the show about Simon, who has some very obvious flaws. It's a dichotomy. It shouldn't be this hard for you to grasp the plot of a shounen.
>>
>>161695048
>Kamina gets criticism
Oh you mean when he has to say "no I'm the best hurr durr I'm Kamina I pilot robo I am leader now" and then everyone agrees because he's Kamina?
Oh yeah what adversity, surely not asspull magic there.
>What does this have to do with Kamina's character again?
Does Kamina exist in a fucking vacuum?
>Being stupid and charging in without fear of your own death is the reason he was criticized and received heavy backlash from most humans
Give me a fucking break, the entire rest of the show after his death is jerking him off. Simong fucking mimics him to a T he builds his entire self on the corpse of Kamina, the only thing missing is him having wear Kamina's face as a moron party mask. Having token outrage is a drop in the bucket, it even makes him seem even more heroic.
>>161695092
>You've never met someone who was obnoxiously positive, always talking up himself and his friends?
They usually don't have many friends, and when they do they talk behind their back about them being huge bullshitters.
>if this were a different show and setting, this character wouldn't make sense! I sure told those anons
If it were a different show it would be better, which is the point here.
>>
>>161695176
The show was never about Simon, it was about Simon trying to act like Kamina while feeling insecure because he's not Kamina and crying himself to sleep because Kamina died and singing praises to Kamina.
Fucking brilliant, 10/10, I can surely never understand such a masterpiece.
>>
>>161695292
Yeah, that pretty much sums up his arc. Simon had to deal with losing his big bro, the guy who motivated him to do all these great things. So he's depressed about it for a while. You can't fault him for that. He gets over it though. That's his character development. It's really immature to mistake "I don't like it" for "it's bad".
>>
>>161695224
>they talk behind their back
You have issues. The butthurt combined with that projection says there's something deeper here. Who hurt you, anon?
>>
>>161695404
So Simon's arc is mimicking and jerking off someone who is a lying asshole and the show glorifying it?
You can see how people would think that's shit right?
And of course before saying people are immature, try to think for a second because any statement of "this is bad" is subjective. I never said it was objectively bad, but it certainly is bad.
>>161695423
Bullshitters always get talked behind their back, are you socially retarded or something?
>>
>>161695224
Grew up in Jeeha village
>Not get criticisms

Don't forget Rossiu's village too. Diaka didn't really agree with them but saw them as man power. They needed every man they can get as they were forced out of their village.

>Simong fucking mimics him to a T
Yeah, founding and governing Kamina city and taking all that shit form Rossiu even for just a short while is very kamina-ish.

He's charismatic since his enemy wasn't the beastmen or the anti-spirals, he never knew they existed. What he hates is cowering in fear as most people seem to have embraced it in Jeeha therefore makes him unique and charismatic at least in that setting. He's an anarchist in that sense which I think is why he's popular to idiots as well.
>>
>>161695472
His arc is being able to stand on his own after Kamina died, which he did and got over his death completely in two episodes.
>>
>>161691298
Whats wrong OP? Too much toxic masculinity for you? Faggot.
>>
File: 14984566812230.png (97KB, 894x754px) Image search: [Google]
14984566812230.png
97KB, 894x754px
>>161696418
Kamina permeates every single episode until the end.
To say Simon got over him is like saying Germany got over Adolf Hitler, it's a joke at best.
I'm kind up against the wall when talking with GL fans because of the warped view of the show they have.
Here's pic related, what best sums up my views on all of it. In the minds of GLfans Kamina is God and to go against him is heresy. Even when looking at him objectively he's a fucking asshole, an idiot and someone who you would do anything not to have as a friend.
And even with all his faults he still suffers from being a Gary Stu, someone who for no apparent reason gets granted the title of "chosen one" and leader. Kamina is everything that's wrong with anime characterization, an empty shell that you pull the string on and says cool sounding stuff and wins every time even when he fucking dies and even after his death.
Stockholm syndrome best describes the fan-Kamina relationship. Blinded by deep sounding dialogue and flashy robot animations forced to eat Imaishi's shit and say it's gourmet cuisine.
>>
>>161696704
Is there a particular reason you come to a thread about something you hate? You sound like an atheist or a vegan who just has to make people accept his view as some irritating form of validation.

TTGL is just popcorn fodder, something to shut your brain off and watch.
>>
I've read the manga before and dropped it because of that fag
>look at this guy he talks big and get shit done. Everybody like this guy and fawn over him. You're supposed to like this guy. Oh look he make big speeches again with the effects and music hyping him up and everyone goes doki doki
Hes garbage
>>
In my opinion gurren lagann is the best anime and kamina is a great character but that's the thing their our opinions because everyone had a different views before watching it

I washed when I was in a time of my life feeling depressed and felt like I had nothing to aim for so when I watch I inserted myself not to kamina but to Simon bc I also was inspired of how kamina this idiot still had goals n didn't care what other people say

When my other friends watch it they liked but they didn't believe it was great probably bc they probably never felt depressed about having nothing to aim at but that's their view

So just like u i just want to share my opinion
>>
Kamina is a decent plot device and not just an generic sidekick who dies in plethora of shonens
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.