[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was this good world-building or a stupid asspull?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: Dark_Continent.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Continent.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Was this good world-building or a stupid asspull?
>>
File: hxh.jpg (300KB, 658x1009px) Image search: [Google]
hxh.jpg
300KB, 658x1009px
>>161664158
>>
Not sure if its good but its world building and not a stupid asspull for sure.
>>
Most of the time, the real world provide plenty of space and trying to expand on that results in boring one-characteristic places à la Star Wars (desert planet, jungle planet, city planet, garden planet, ice planet...).
I haven't read any new chapters in years so I don't know where Togashi is going with the dark continent, but I doubt all the extra space was really needed.
>>
>>161664158
Why would it be an asspull? Unexplored lands are a thing
>>
>>161664158

I like the possibilities and the dangers but I can't shake the "the outer world has been unlocked! Go on with your adventures!" feeling I got when I read this the first time
>>
>>161664158
think it like this, how sure are you of the world you live in?
>>
What is even remotely asspully about "There's land we have not traveled to yet"?
>>
>>161664238
The major appeal of HXH is how grounded it is compared to other shounens. The world seemed a lot like Earth before but now the planet has to be at least the size of Jupiter. The very existence of such world seems to break several fundamental laws of physics. Why is gravity so low? How does the moon work? How do seasons work? Don't they have satellites? If not how do they have cellphones? This just rises too many questions.
>>
>>161664314
The world might be hollow and built of super-strong nen-materials so it doesn't collapse under its own weight.
You don't necessarily need satellites for cell-phones, though lacking them means no connection in areas that are not densely populated.
But maybe their "satellites" are actually self-propelled machines that fly in circles to not stray over dangerous territories.
>>
>>161664314
>The major appeal of HXH is how grounded it is compared to other shounens. The world seemed a lot like Earth before
What the fuck am I reading. Just because it looks like Earth in some scenes doesn't mean it's grounded. We've seen a lot of outlandish shit throughout the series
>>
>>161664277
I think the OP wants to say that he feels that the whole "Oh yeah the world you traveled for years and where everything happened is just a tiny speck in the middle of a lake" reveal came kinda out of nowhere and just served as a cheap Shyamalanian twist and a way to introduce new adventures without having to flesh out the existing world while simultaneously topping everything that happened before.

Asspull is just the wrong word here. I'd rather call it cheap, even if the DC itself is pretty damn interesting and promising.
>>
Didnt the ant come from the dark continent? When was this asspull anyway? I cant remember enough but I think its after the ant arc right? gon meeting his father or something.
>>
>>161664582
>Asspull is just the wrong word here.
No, it's actually used right.
Togashi pulled a Jupiter sized world out of thin air that was never implied to be a thing by any statement ever and that goes contrary to the implications of their tech level.
>>
>>161664640
What makes you think the image in the OP is accurate. You'd think a random sea monster would've just run in and destroyed all life already.
>>
>>161664682
The size of the monsters isn't, but the size of the dark continent is established to be larger than the known world.
>>
>>161664640
>was never implied

Wasn't it implied multiple times that there are still uncharted, dangerous lands?
From what I remember the existence of a dark continent was hinted at, at least since the CA arc, and I think Togashi planned some kind of "Travel to the new world" arc for a long time, it's just the scale of the whole thing that's bothering people.
>>
>>161664726
>Wasn't it implied multiple times that there are still uncharted, dangerous lands?
Not the same thing.
And island of difficult to reach territory does not blow up your entire world.
>>
>>161664704
Either way I dunno why you're expecting realism in a world populated with strange ass animals and magic powers
>>
>>161664640
it's a shonen set in a fantasy world, who gives a shit if the gravitational constant is different from real life

it's not nearly as weird as prince tserreidich talking about kant and hegel and famous footballers
>>
>>161664779
But I wasn't complaining. I was saying that OP used a term correctly. If you can't even guess that X might be a thing in a story and it suddenly appears (and shakes things up) then the term asspull is accurate.
>>
>>161664797
dunno, asspull implies it's stupid and hacky, the dark continent was just a big twist thing
>>
>>161664779
>tserreidich talking about kant and hegel and famous footballers

Man that was a wierd chapter.
Not just because of the real names of real people, but also because apparently european football leagues are on the same level as philosophy and quantum mechanics, according to prince Bateman.
>>
>>161664158
Did this part came before Toriko's Gourmet World reveal?
>>
>>161664819
>asspull implies it's stupid and hacky,
Indeed, it does.
A good writer puts in hints at appropriate times, because they already know about what's going to be in their stories.
>>
>>161664822
you wouldn't understand you fucking pig
>>
>>161664158
The dark continent is simply stupid, the people in the known world should have noticed that something about the curvature of the earth is off.
>>
>>161664853
>Series A
low quality league
>>
>>161664158
Its a nice idea and I like the possibilities, if not for the mangaka not being in his prime anymore and probably not being able to explore it properly
>>
>>161664857
Did they even consider the earth to be round? You should be able to circumnavigate the world if that was the case, and with modern technology it should be an easy feat.
>>
>>161664857
You don't even need any of the modern technology to caclculate the size of the globe. Eratosthenes correctly measured the size of Earth in 250 BC.
>>
>>161665235
It's easier with small planets than with large ones.
>>
>>161665201
>>161665235
I'm not sure I they ever that say that the earth is round, but a round earth big enough that you can't measure/notice a curvature over long distances would be absolutely massive. Maybe it's some sort of nen fuckery and the earth really is flat.
>>
He could've put a bit more effort into the geography.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.