[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Anime companies that are now underwater.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

ITT: Anime companies that are now underwater.
>>
>>161650162
/a/
>>
Thank god. ADV should be killed just for what they did to Azumanga Daioh. Let alone all the other series they ruined.
>>
Their only good dub was Cromartie. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>161651211

>Prove me wrong.
There is no such thing as a good dub.
>>
Were they in Houston?
>>
It was a real shame to see them go.
>>
Weren't these the guys that did Evangelion? I feel kind of bad for them cause if you listen to the audio commentary it's obvious they actually did care a lot about what they did. I hope the former employees found success...
>>
>>161651413

ADV became Sentai/Section 23, more or less.
>>
File: Selection_068.png (186KB, 312x423px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_068.png
186KB, 312x423px
It's a shame the anime liscening is turning into these lifeless corporations with Crunchyroll/AT&T and Funimation/Sony. There's no unionized cooperatives of any kind that you can support in the anime industry without supporting global capitalism.
>>
>>161651565
Hang yourself commie.
>>
File: Mediaplay.jpg (2MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
Mediaplay.jpg
2MB, 2816x2112px
>>161650162
I remember their full color catalogs. They use to give them out free at Media Play in the anime section.
>>
>>161650162
Whatever studios in Houston
>>
>>161651717

They are in Houston, as it turns out. Too bad FUNi is not.
>>
>>161651413

>Weren't these the guys that did Evangelion?
See image.

>I feel kind of bad for them cause if you listen to the audio commentary it's obvious they actually did care a lot about what they did.
They started off as fansubbers. But once they got into dubbing, they started to prioritize dubs. Since dubbing was the only thing that made a middle man distributor necessary. If people knew anime was Japanese and where to get it, they wouldn't bother buying from ADV or any other company.

This led to really shitty practices like back in the VHS days, they sold the dub and sub separately, with the subtitled version being double the price of the dub. Of course most people ended up buying the dub version because it was cheaper. This blinded people to the origins of what anime was and caused people to become dependent on dubs. So once DVDs started coming out, people still preferred the dub over the sub.

But ADV and the other companies got prideful and thought they had a monopoly on the market. With the rise of fansubs on the internet, it led to their downfall. And the anime market in the west collapsed. They could have avoided it if they weren't trying to cover up what anime was for three decades.
>>
File: Tqw0fqK.png (27KB, 269x268px) Image search: [Google]
Tqw0fqK.png
27KB, 269x268px
>>161651384
>>161651739
>>
File: facepalm_lina.png (331KB, 600x413px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm_lina.png
331KB, 600x413px
>>161651885

>forgot image
Well I just lost all credibility. Oh well.
>>
>>161651408
This is the company I own the most releases of. They licensed a lot of interesting anime that would have otherwise been forgotten.
>>
>>161651885
That sounds like total bullshit. If it really was fansubs that killed them, people will always take free fansubs on the net over whatever the price of dubs/subs are. Aniplex price gouges the shit out of everything but they're still alive, I'm sure there were other factors going into it. Also the idea that dubbing anime is "covering up what anime" is, is stupid. Subs aren't an integral part of anime, especially in most comedy anime (which is 50% of all anime), subs distract from the visual comedy.
>>
>>161652043

>If it really was fansubs that killed them, people will always take free fansubs on the net over whatever the price of dubs/subs are.
The overwhelming majority of people are. Haven't you noticed that western anime sales tanked after 2000? Correlating with the rise of fansubs online.

>Aniplex price gouges the shit out of everything but they're still alive
Probably because they're raising the prices. Much like a Japanese company can survive on only 50,000 people buying a show if its priced super high.

>I'm sure there were other factors going into it.
There actually was. In the case of ADV specifically, they were doing a bunch of shady crap. One of the founders got indited for tax evasion. The company also was saving upwards of $300 million dollars, trying to get a live action Eva film made. That idea fell through and the company filed for bankruptcy to keep itself alive.

>Also the idea that dubbing anime is "covering up what anime" is, is stupid.
Why? That's exactly what dubbing does. ADV was one of the worst examples of this. Or do you honestly think Azumanga Daioh takes place in America with a Texan girl?

>Subs aren't an integral part of anime, especially in most comedy anime (which is 50% of all anime), subs distract from the visual comedy.
This is a totally different discussion. But you can also say dubs aren't an integral part of anime either. And while a sub might be 'distracting', its a hell of a lot better than the entire joke being changed, Once again, see Azumanga Daioh.
>>
>>161652043

It's not really bullshit at all. If companies focused on subs, they'd be trying to sell a product for $20-$40 that someone could get online for free. And no matter how ethical someone is, they're not going to choose $40 > free. The only thing that makes distributors stand out is dubbing or promotional tie-in figurines/boxes. And dubbing still doesn't win out over free with most people.
>>
>>161650162
>tfw popping in your new evangelion vhs tape and getting all tingly during the anime promos

damn, right in the nostalgia button..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0l0Delz4Bo
>>
>>161653278
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRdwA8mhqVY
>>
File: untitled.png (611KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
611KB, 620x349px
>>161650162
roosterteeth
>>
>>161653278
>>161654233

So many memories of these kind of promos for me as well - though I was just a kid in the late 90s. Seeing Ninja Scroll for the first time when I was 8 changed everything for me. I delivered fliers so I could have money to go rent anime VHS and DVDs every weekend. These promos were always so hype to me - and nothing felt as good as finally finding something from the promos that you were never able to find before, because you took a bus to a video rental store way outside of your neighborhood hoping to find something new.
>>
File: Map-Houston-to-Austin.jpg (119KB, 894x400px) Image search: [Google]
Map-Houston-to-Austin.jpg
119KB, 894x400px
>>161655260
>>
>>161655353

Thanks for sharing your experience. I enjoyed reading that. Growing up in a rural area, I was a pretty lonesome kid after school, so I was always excited to either rent video games or an anime for the weekend. It kills me every time I think about it- getting my mom to rent Cutey Honey for me was a triumph! "It's just a cartoon, mom," and she fell for it. Thank you ADV Cutey Honey promos in my Evangelion vhs tape. After awhile I got pretty smart about it, given I was tech savvy one in the family, I even started to dub those tapes at some point. I never had any intention of selling them- just wanted/needed something to watch when there was nothing on broadcast television.

The sequence at 7:04 is by far my favorite promo of all the anime promos I've seen. That mashup of anime with music and evangelion at the end... love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMfQxw2j0V8
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.