[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vinland Saga

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

File: 35l5cue.jpg (232KB, 1206x701px) Image search: [Google]
35l5cue.jpg
232KB, 1206x701px
Can it compares and will it surpass Berserk?

How do you feel about the "redemption path"
>>
It'll never surpass the best Berserk arcs but it will actually end while the story still makes sense.
>>
One of my favourite manga. Haven't read the last 15 chapters or so cause I'm waiting for them to pile up so I can binge them. Should I pick it back up? Have they reached Athens yet?
>>
Looking forward to it more than Bezerk if that means anything. I do feel like its story is better written
>>
>>161556983
No, it's still in the Baltic Sea War arc. Currently dealing with the guy that hired Askeladd to kill Thors.
>>
>>161557110
Shit I'll probably have to read a lot more than the last chapters cause I've forgotten a lot of shit. Farmland Saga it is for me, then
>>
>>161557229
the farm part was too long
>>
>>161557419
I guess it was if you were following it at the time. It was really enjoyable when I binged it.
>>
It's so complete a moral tale of paganism/the medieval era that I often wonder if Yukimura is Christian himself or just really into the history. Planetes had some vibes like that as well, come to think of it.
>>
>>161557545
He must be really into the history cause VS is so historically accurate it's almost scary. It's still amazing how an jap has such a firm grasp of western medieval history and is able to tell such a gripping tale of revevenge and, consequently, salvation. Easily one of my favourite manga and the only work of fiction that has actually made me feel for an edgelord.
>>
>thorfinn is a complete edgelord at first
>now refuses to use violence
goddamnit can't he be something inbetween
>>
besto seinen mangas HOLY TRINITY
>>
>>161558382
Swap Saitama with the mc from history and we're fine.
>>
I'm sad Askelad died. I woulnd't have mind if he became the true mc
>>
>>161559910
He was great but too cynical
>>
>>161555801
I got bored on the farm. I'll probably go back and read it soon-ish because last time I read, he was being hunted by the chick on the mountain and recruited her.
>>
>>161557760
Yeah I just feel it's so developed. Like we see the "Valhalla" of Thorfinn's world and we get this amazing contrast between the struggling, apparent weakness of the Christian principles and the fatalistic bravado of the Vikings. Of course, Canute himself is Christian so perhaps it's more about the power dynamic being explored, weak vs. strong.

What's insane is that like, Thorkell and Garm are actually innocents in way that Thorfinn or Hild will never be again even though they're so bloody and bloodthirsty. And that's conveyed in the text! I was thinking about this the other day: the line drawn in VS between people who have empathy, who understand the impact of suffering, and those who don't.
>>
>>161557419
Yeah I dropped it during this, might pick back up if things are actually happening now.
>>
>>161561093
the farm part is over now, you can start reading again
>>
>>161555801
where the devil do I find decent scans?
>>
>>161561269
Hox
>>
>>161560883
So would Thorkell and Garm be able to understand the impact of suffering if they had been born in a Christian society later on that really emphasized protecting the weak?
But that makes me think of people we've all heard of that would have been happier living as viking warriors in 900 AD, regardless of the standards of living
>>
>>161557545
>>161557760
It's quite clear he did his research, though I wonder how much Dziwna river was correctly named thanks to translator's own knowledge/research, and how much it was Yukimura.
>>
>>161558382
All three are shit compared to REAL and Dorohedoro.
>>
>>161563926
>Dorohedoro
Pic related the manga.
>>
>>161556930

I think that's the best way I'd describe it too, Berserk's peaks were amazing but it's been in such a limbo it's killed a lot of my enthusiasm for it. Vinland Saga has always been "consistent" and aside from the slow pace in the farm arc I've never felt it going downhill or losing direction with the character development always moving forward. It also has a kind of comfy brutality and fleshed out world that makes it easy to consume on rereads.
>>
File: 22.png (401KB, 905x1300px) Image search: [Google]
22.png
401KB, 905x1300px
Gudrid a cute.
>>
>>161563983
Gudrid, Hild, Thorfinn's sister... Why are all the girls so cute?
>>
>>161563983
What happened to her lips?
>>
>>161564165
dicksucking sessions
>>
>>161564165
Miura desease
>>
>>161563983
germans don't have black hair
>>
File: the fuck did I just read.jpg (98KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
the fuck did I just read.jpg
98KB, 1280x720px
>>161566874
>>
>>161566874
and japanese dont have dicks they only have pixels on the crotch
>>
>>161564019
Because faces are the same.
>>
File: 1497659369080.gif (51KB, 192x224px) Image search: [Google]
1497659369080.gif
51KB, 192x224px
>>161568333
How can he be so good at drawing old men but not girls?
>>
>>161555801
It's surpassed Berserk long time ago.
Berserk went into shit ever since Isidro and Farnese joined the party while Vinland saga stayed good and is still good. Yes even farmland saga.
>>
Farmland Saga was great. People just have bad taste
>>
WE WUZ WIKINGZ
>>
Rank the 3 mangas,i start.
1-vagabond
2-vinland saga
3-berserk
>>
>>161574263
1-Berserk
2-Vinland saga
3-Vagabond

Here i fixed that for you.
>>
>>161557945
Isn't that exactly what he is right now? He's accepted that non-violence is impossible in the war-filled world he's living in and has slowly but surely been moving to the philosophy we saw his father lead in the beginning of the story
>>
File: 1502569682307.png (208KB, 382x706px) Image search: [Google]
1502569682307.png
208KB, 382x706px
>>161563926
Dorohedoro was one of the weirdest shit I've ever read. AND I LIKED IT.
>>
>>161555801
I remember the first time I saw this image I thought it was about viking giants.
>>
>>161563926
Are there even good scans for REAL anywhere?
>>
>>161563868
Dziwna was Yukimura, since Hox specifically commented that he seemed to be going for some specific theory about where Jomsborg was. Anyway, why would the translator change the content to be historically accurate? That'd be fucking stupid, that's not a translator's job.
>>
>>161558382
>that image
>mangas
>Facebook filename
Fuck off and kill yourself, cancerous newfag.
>>
>>161561093
>>161557419
As another anon pointed out, its just fine if you read it all in one go.

One could be forgiven for thinking it was too long if they read it chapter by chapter at release, but when bundled altogether, it's length is fine.
>>
>>161575749
>>161574263
Vagabond automatically sits in 3rd place considering it's dead
>>
>>161557760
Well it's not completely accurate

For instance, historically Einar wanted to marry Gudrid but Gudrid's father wouldn't allow it because Einar's father was a slave

And Thorfinn almost certainly wasn't a one child murder machine that spent his childhood trying to get revenge on the descendant of king arthur.

But I admit I'm being unfair since the details are generally pretty great.
>>
File: 1493270033324.gif (331KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
1493270033324.gif
331KB, 250x200px
>>
>>161555801
I dropped this manga after about 20 chapters or so because the protagonist was annoying, the plot didn't seem like it was going anywhere interesting, and none of the characters except for Thorfinn's dad were interesting. Does it get better? Do they explain how Thorfinn became a one man army at any point?
>>
>>161580321
Well it stops being Berserk in europe about chapter 55, and Thorfinn does seriously change as a character after that. Chapter 55 is even called "end of the prologue"

It becomes a lot less actiony though, so if you want Berserk in Europe, you'd be dissapointed.

Its still a great read though if you don't mind that.
>>
>>161561093
>>161557419
It's not like the pacing right now is particularly brisk, either. We're like twenty chapters into this Jomsviking civil war arc, and the only really major narrative development is Thorfinn learning about Floki's involvement in his dad's death, and then having some more vague inconclusive wrestling with his ideals. I wish Yukimura had found some way to condense this, instead of having them go to Town A and meet Thorkell's men, and then get taken to Castle B to meet Thorkell and run into Floki, and then go to Island C to confront Floki's men, and then get taken to Island D to meet Vagn by Vagn's men, and then get taken back to Castle B by Garm, and then escape, but then Hild gets trapped inside, etc. It just feels like a whole lot of convoluted movement and time for very little of actual consequence to happen.
>>
>>161581403
>Hild
Ah, fuck, meant Gudrid, obviously.
>>
>>161580321
As someone who was laughing all the way through at how edgy the protagonist was, when 'that' happened (which I'm guessing is ~ch55 as an anon mentioned above) it completely changed the way I looked at this manga. Truly a work of art, I felt like an idiot for misunderstanding it.
>>
>>161580321
>Does it get better?
If you can appreciate the main theme of the manga plus the historical accuracy then yes.
>>
File: nigga you said some dumb shit.png (55KB, 422x357px) Image search: [Google]
nigga you said some dumb shit.png
55KB, 422x357px
>>161563983
>can't be a good wife
>even made her husband blame thorfinn for her bullshit and indirectly got him enslaved
>is deadweight as a sailor
>shitty tagalong of the group with no interesting chemistry with them other than complain about almost everything
>taking the baby along on their dangerous mission after all the time and effort to find him some willing foster parents
>in medieval times where people are sparse
>got thorfinn involved with Jomsvikings with her big mouth
>fail to get away from Jomsburg
>>>Why don't you come with us?
>EVER suggesting to endanger Floki's grandkid to the opposing side, further provoking him to kill Thorfinn's group to get him back
Everything about what she suggested reminded me of why I fucking hate this bitch. She is such a huge burden and almost everything she does is a fuck up.
>>
>>161558382
I'd say Vagabond deserves to be up there as well.
>>
>>161583465
Isn't she Thorfinn's future wife? You'd better get used to her bullshit.
>>
>>161583695
Well theres the Big Eyes/Gudrid theory.

But yeah, it's probably gonna be Thorfinn Prime's wife
>>
>>161583611
It did until it just fucking died.

Historie is a better contender right now
>>
>>161558382
So did some Facebookfag take the three seinen manga he's read and shop them together just because, and then you saw this on there and thought it was so epic you just had to repost it to 4chan?
>>
>>161580321
Yes
>>
>>161555801
I want thorfinn to find out when to kill instead of just running
>>
>>161587242
Never, he's a full pacifist now
>>
>Thorfinn has gone from being top tier to solidly mid tier
>He probably won't even be able to beat Garm
>>
>>161581403
Thorfinn having that moment of rage when he found out Floki murdered his dad was pretty neat. But one of the highlights of the manga for me were the visions of Askeladd Thorfinn had during Farmland Saga, because Askeladd really ended up being more of a father to him than his actual dad over the years.
>>
>>161588066
Well he only was Thorfinn's replacement dad since he killed Thorfinn's real dad.

And honestly he was a pretty shitty father figure considering he led thorfinn on to use him as a tool for his pillaging.

It was only right at the end that he bothered to actually try to change Thorfinn
>>
>>161587962
>>Thorfinn has gone from being top tier to solidly mid tier
I don't think we've got any real evidence of that. He tanked those hundred blows from Canute's guards at the end of Farmland Saga, and more recently he dodged Thorkell's welcoming flurry of axeblows and beat the shit out of Floki's assassins unarmed.

>>He probably won't even be able to beat Garm
>even
Garm gave Thorkell a tough time, so now I'm really not sure what you're on about.
>>
>>161587962
He took out those jomsvikings nearly single handedly without even killing them, he survived Thorkell's hello attack, and thats after not having seriously fought a real battle in at least a year or 2.

And as another anon said, Garm gave even Thorkell a hard time, so I dunno what you are talking about either.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.