[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Neon Genesis Evangelion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 17

File: shit_tier_show.jpg (49KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
shit_tier_show.jpg
49KB, 225x350px
What does anyone see in NGE? I just binged the whole thing, and it started out interesting - I thought the idea of "maybe teens wouldn't be great at this job" was good - but then it just went of the rails. The shitty pseudoscience, the psychobabble, everything just served to make me hate the show. What gives? Why is this so acclaimed?
>>
you didn't get it
>>
>>161500664
pleb
>>
>>161500900

then explain it
>>
>>161500664
>muh contrarian
go back to r/atheism
sage
>>
File: 1499495719835.png (264KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1499495719835.png
264KB, 500x375px
It was fun
plus it features cute autistic girls for every taste
>>
>>161501110
honestly, you should just watch it again, and make sure to pay attention
one of my friends watched it just to pass the time without thinking too much about it and came to the same conclusion as you
after watching it again however he liked it way more
I'm not saying it's 2deep4u but I sincerely believe it requires some degree of attention
>>
File: carl.jpg (39KB, 600x615px) Image search: [Google]
carl.jpg
39KB, 600x615px
>>161500664
Because the average animefag is a beta orbiter with even less masculinity than pic related. And now that the millineal generation is old enough to watch TV without mommy's permission, they fall for shit like Rebuild, which features character pandering with all the character flaws removed.
>>
>>161500664
You could miss a few things if you grown up in a full family.
>>
Its got a special charm in that it was thrown together with limited resources and the story is a reflection of that and the writer's own personal problems. The TV show at least, the rebuild movies are a different story

Not a masterpiece but that's why I liked it.
>>
>>161500664
>it started out interesting
shit taste confirmed
It starts out as an cliched mecha teen pilot fights alien kaijus and transforms into something bigger as it progresses
>>
File: Picture 1.png (323KB, 634x478px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 1.png
323KB, 634x478px
>>161500664
Dunno.

I enjoyed it for the great animation and cool as fuck robots. Great music on top of all that as well.

Not much beyond that.
>>
its shit

/thread
>>
>>161500664

It's a very dense show. If you're not really paying attention you'll miss a lot of what's going on.

Whilst not as profound as a groundbreaking philosophical text, it "true" in the sense that good literature tends to be. It's about something real and valuable to understand, that isn't entirely obvious to most people (particularly young adults).

And it does all that whilst looking and sounding great, having good drama and characters worth caring about. It's main flaw is that it's really more cryptic than it needs to be, hence the retard "2deep4u" labelling.
>>
File: 1500776959918.jpg (61KB, 200x329px) Image search: [Google]
1500776959918.jpg
61KB, 200x329px
>>161500664
>>
File: 1492022589742.png (262KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1492022589742.png
262KB, 800x450px
>>161500664
>he didn't get it
>>
File: Hack.jpg (30KB, 570x606px) Image search: [Google]
Hack.jpg
30KB, 570x606px
>>161500664
Episode 24 is the best Anime episode of all time
>>
>>161500664
2deep4u
>>
>>161500664
WHAT'S THE MATTER OP?

TOO

DEEP

FOR

YOU?
>>
>>161500664
you're like a little baby.

>started out interesting
a very tiny baby.
>>
It's a really beautiful show. It has nice animation, music, story, characters, ad robot fights. Also End Of Evangelion will help it make sense, so watch that.
>>
>>161500664
It's just a generic roboshit anime for the dumb masses. It's the Justin Bieber of anime for its time.
>>
why do people compare anime to philosophy tomes
what cuck came up with the idea that anime has to contain the same intellectual content as an entire novel by (pick your poison) to avoid being labelled pretentious, or pseudo intellectual
>>
Okay, interesting I just finished as well. I liked it at first but then it got WAYY to technical and became like heavy literature. I had to pause to absorb it all. OP didn't pay attention personally.

I liked how it started. I realised at about ep.8, my favourite thing about the character were the subtlety. Shinji obviously has daddy issues, but is a teen boy. ASUKA is great desu, I fuckin loved her and how realistic a bitch she is. She is the most perfect teen character I've seen all anime.
AND I liked it at that. Asuka was just a proud bitch, when Shinji was gonna kiss her and she said "mommy", we got to see her personal side. She's just a baby like everyone else. And I loved Shinji's reaction, after realising bitches aint shit.

And I loved it ALL til ep.20. I realised from ep.1 that this was gonna be a psychological anime (I'm not OP), and I loved it for that. Asuka was a perfect teen, that's how a teen girl acts. She's brought herself up as super proud, knows her sexuality, whines, is super sly and competitive, and still learning, whilst acting big headed, gets what she wants, isnt psychologically damaged like Rei or Shinji, and we still love her because the audience knows she's still got a lot to learn about, and she's just a little girl who wants attention from home.

THEN she got ruined. WTF was that mom backstory?! I loved Asuka for being a little unapologetic immature still-to-learn shit. Yeah she has attention issues, but all teens do. WTF does she need a twisted psychology backstory? I loved her being viewed as a child who was determined for fame and attention, saying "mama" in her sleep because she's still a little girl.
I though she was gonna be compared to Shinki and Rei who were clearly psychologically deep characters, as just a normal kid. I expected to SEE her grow, as she fought angels, her mind erode and her character to change. But no...ah well. I loved her before.

Also, REI!? I'm gonna get to her...
>>
Will end of evangelion explain ep 25 and 26? and how what was happening saved humanity?
>>
>>161500664
It's essentially about deconstructing the otaku ethos through full subversion of genre tropes and examining the core appeal of them to the hardcore watcher. It's great in every necessary context to do so, one major being the blank slate MC being a true if exaggerated reflection of that shut-in fan rather than being a vicarious vessel, among many other traits
>>
>>161508661
episode 25 and episode 26 explain episode 25 and episode 26. in big white letters on a black background. what are you confused about? watch them again and fuckin' read.
>>
>>161508807
i watched it dude, shinji and everyone is just talking, something cracks and they're all psychologically cured.

Now HOW the FUCK was that meant to Kill an angel?
>>
>>161508661
episode 25 and 26 happened in Shinji's mind during EoE instrumentality, it's self contained. Shinji accepting himself and decided to reject instrumentality, leaving people the option to come back.
>>
>>161508661
Ep 25 and 26 are absolute shit, they even made a movie to retcon them out of existance.
>>
>>161500664
Eva is about solving the mystery of what the fuck Angels and EVAs are, which party wants what from them, and the struggles of mentally ill kids given such a big responsibility and dangerous job with pretty much no reward for it, also Shinji's personal journey to feel comfortable around people.
>>
I agree in some part the anime is not bad but at the same time its not good at first its great but later its shit its like constipation at first there is no shit but over time shit slips out and at the end all the shit comes out at once and your disturbed that you just watched a guy masterbait
>>
File: why do you exist.jpg (33KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
why do you exist.jpg
33KB, 704x480px
>>161509057
>tripfag
>can't even use proper sentence structure
>>
>>161508873
He's not psychologically cured, he did a small groundbreak and felt happy a bit, so everyone cheered him. In EoE, he wakes up from that and understands everything is still fucking shit.
>>
File: 1476484673568.jpg (26KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1476484673568.jpg
26KB, 320x240px
>>161500664
>pseudoscience and psychobabble
>somehow goes over your head regardless
>>
File: human shape.webm (856KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
human shape.webm
856KB, 960x720px
>>161508401
>Shinji obviously has daddy issues, but is a teen boy.
Shinji's done with Gendo after the 19th episode. He has issues left besides.
>>
>>161500664
buzzwords LMAO
>>
>>161500664
It's very deep.
>>
Does anyone have the manga scans where Misato explains Lilith/Adam origins? The black moon crashing etc
>>
>>161509197
Just watched this. Confused as fuck, could you explain it to me?
>>
>>161500664
>pseudoscience
Whats the problem with some sci-fi?

>psychobabble
The genre is a fucking psychological drama, what you expected? You did know it is a psychological drama first and foremost, instead of a mecha anime, right?
The main message and character archetypes are actually pretty simply. The characters are so simplified that they are closer to living caricatures of depression than normal people.
>>
>>161512215
Basically, the main plot of the show is a bunch of people (Seele, Gendo, Yui) want to awaken the Goddess Lilith to achieve their desires.
But the show isnt really about the plot, so it is NEVER STATED during its run. It focus on the psychological of the characters, and that alone.

Anyway, third impact and instrumentality (the merging of all souls) happens no matter what (shinji triggered it because he was stupid), the world was fucked anyway. Shinji get to talk with his friends inside his mind and realizes life is good so he makes it possible for people to live again. Im gonna say it again, the events themselves arent that important, even though pretty cool.
>>
>>161512933
>Shinji get to talk with his friends inside his mind and realizes life is good so he makes it possible for people to live again.

So at the end of the movie, was the world back to the way it was?
>>
>>161513013
No. At very least nearly all buildings around asia got damaged, the environment will be a mess, crops will likely be lost, but people are free to try to reconstruct it. Given that humanity recovered from the second impact in less than 15 years, i dont think the world is doomed.
>>
Watch "The End of Evangelion" it wraps the whole thing up nicely(?) and will probably help understand where the show was coming from.
>>
>>161508974
EOE and the last 2 episodes literally depict the same events
>>
>>161500664
Hey, maybe you are just stupid
>>
>>161513111
Then why was shinji mad? And why did he attempt murder on Asuka?

It's what he wanted right, the world is fixed now?
>>
File: delet1.jpg (104KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
delet1.jpg
104KB, 600x900px
>>161513353
I would want to choke that cunt too if i were him.
I'm still an asukafag though
>>
>>161500664
Honestly, some art in this world is only meant for those who want to achieve a higher understanding of their lives. If you're a casual looking for entertainment try something else.

This isn't meant to be insulting, it's just a statement.
>>
>>161513353
>Then why was shinji mad? And why did he attempt murder on Asuka?
Thats still one of the biggest questions even today, and involves the whole movie, but here is my explanation:

So, over the course of the last few episodes, shinji grew distant from Rei, Misato, nearly killed Toji, and killed Kaworu. In EoE he keeps begging asuka to "help him".
As i said, instrumentality happened, and we see shinji and asuka (their souls), arguing in a "kitchen". Asuka tell him to fuck off because he is hypocritical and cant see how the bad things are also his fault. Thats the breaking point, his last friend rejecting him.
He snaps and attack her in that mental place. He also gets to the conclusion, "no one loves him, so i wish everyone was dead".
And as Fuyuziki said, him being used in the ritual means he can do whatever he wants to the world. So it was shinjis desire to destroy the world after 26 episodes of trying to save it. He fucked up.

Skip forward a little after his realization that he fucked up and life is worth living,, he returns to the world, and allow other people to return too. Then he sees asuka, he still either very confused about everything that happened, and mad inside about being rejected, so he goes for the kill, but cant do it.
>>
>>161501381
>I'm not saying it's 2deep4u but I sincerely believe it requires some degree of attention
This is all really. I enjoyed it the first time but love it watching it again recently. There's a lot that I missed simply because I wasn't bothering to think much on it.
>>
>>161506577
>It's about something real and valuable to understand, that isn't entirely obvious to most people (particularly young adults).
What would that be exactly? I'm asking less because I feel I didn't understand it and more because I'm interested in your take on its themes.
>>
It's a show for people who've felt depressed or isolated in more than just a crawling in my skin kind of way.
>>
File: 1336979335206.png (326KB, 657x3213px) Image search: [Google]
1336979335206.png
326KB, 657x3213px
>>161500664
>>
>>161513719
I thought he strangled her because he was
>doing that whilst in limbo and imagining her talk in their apartment
>check if he's really back to this world and if Asuka would fight back

The weirdest thing is that she carresed him, meaning that he's still in instrumentality, but she said "you filth", meaning she's real.
>>
>>161500664
>he didn't get it
either a child or a woman.
>>
>>161513975
Both are kinda possible theories
I recommend skimming through some of the wikis, maybe rewatch paying as much attention as possible, read some threads, question a lot. I have some theories written somewhere, if you have questions, just shoot.
Just dont go "explain me EoE", because you might as well be asking me to spend hours writing everything up
>>
>>161513890
When was the first half of this explained? Especially the alien part?
>>
Also this guy >>161513815 is pretty right.
The show makes much more sense if you already felt depression.
>>
>>161514140
A ps2 game or something.
>>
>>161514140
In a japanese only game released in 2002. The backstory is mostly fluff.
>>
>>161513169
I thought 25 and 26 were Shinji accepting instrumentality in the end, while he rejects it in EoE
>>
>>161500664
You have to be in the right mindset when you watch it. I was a depressed high school sophomore, and I loved it.
>>
>>161513721
>There's a lot that I missed simply because I wasn't bothering to think much on it.
My most recent tism is that Ritsuko didn't wear the lipstick until after seeing her mother with Gendo. She's shown smoking once, the rest is implied with ashtrays around her, and her butts in public areas are stained with Ritsuko's characteristic red, but the stuffed ashtray in her private office is full of Naoko's purple.
>>
>>161500664
>The shitty pseudoscience, the psychobabble
there's your problem
just because it includes psychological elements doesn't mean they're done poorly. yo u don't have to be so cynical all the time anon
>>
>>161514230
There is some discussion about it, but i think the same as you.
Basically two different timelines, very similar, but in them the nature of Instrumentality is different.

In TV, you are still yourself, although as a disembodied soul, able to interact with others
In EoE, you arent "yourself" anymore, just are lost in the sea of souls, unable to interact with anyone because there is no "you".

In both endings, it end with shinji choosing the way that allows him to interact with others.
The reason TV ending exists is lack of time and money to animate the original idea (EOE), and had to create a new ending. Anno wanted the message of accepting others, but had to change a lot of things to get it to work. I like the TV ending a lot.
>>
>>161514055
Evangelion was made for women.
>>
>>161513013
Boy, if you are confused about the fate of the world in EoE, wait till you watch the Rebuilds

If you dont know, the rebuilds are a "reimagination" of the series. So far there are 3 movies (called 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33), and a forth one in the way, called 1.11+3.33.
Given the changes in characterization and story, i DO NOT recommend you to watch it till you have a solid base and settled opinions on the original series and EoE, or you will likely end up even more confused.
There are STRONG hints that its a sequel and the characters are stuck in a time loop.
>>
File: 2d4shinji.jpg (94KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2d4shinji.jpg
94KB, 1440x1080px
>>161514353
In TV, you're you, you're the you that exists in your mind, and you're the you that exists in everybody else's mind.
>>
>>161515094
Yeah. Its hard to explain. Have you ever heard that saying "hell is other people"?
The origin of it applies to Eva pretty well: You think you understand a person, then said person betrays your expectations and disappoint you. That difference between "real person" and "person in my mind" generates pain.

In the TV ending, all the "yous" from everyone elses mind converge into a true "you", so there is no conflict.
>>
>>161500664
>pseudoscience
>there's fake science in science fiction

What a bunch of hacks.
>>
>>161513353
I dunno, sudden urge. Wanted to check if she really was alive, still held resentment for her.
>>
>>161508401
Is this pasta?

>>161514691
>If you dont know, the rebuilds are a "reimagination" of the series.
*sequel

>>161513815
Basically this. There's a myriad of psychological issues from which to pick and choose, if you want to relate to or even learn a little about an emotional burden that feels isolating.
>>
>>161500900
this
>>
>>161513764

I think it's essentially about accepting that being close to people means they're going to hurt you, and that's okay and worth it nonetheless. And that avoiding the physical pain brought by others is ultimately futile (and in th extreme example of instrumentality, the same as not even existing).

Phrased like that, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone that disagrees, and yet those people that agree will often live their lives as if they don't.

There's also other sub-themes about personal development not really being like climbing a mountain, in that once you've acted differently you'll stay that way, but rather like developing a skill that has to be practiced again and again.

It sounds simple, and it is, but it's also deep and true. Good literature doesn't tend to be more complicated than that.
>>
>>161514140

Stuff about the seeds is mentioned. The aliens are never mentioned in the show, but that's immaterial anyway. According to the show, the seeds came from somewhere in space, it doesn't really matter where.
>>
>>161500664
>Not realizing the reason eva is so good compared to most anime is the fact that it actually has something resembling an artistic vision and a direction
>>
>>161513890
Disagree with a point here and there but its a good guide.
>>
>>161520578
This desu
>>
So Rei was the one who triggered instrumentality (fuck knows why), so WHY was Shinji given the choice of humanity?

He literally just became a second Adam. What gives? And what the fuck was his purpose with all the S2 aliens?
>>
>>161500664

I love spot the newfag threads
>>
>>161522123
We arent sure how important the ritual seele perfomed on 01 (and by extension shinji) was. Perhaps she, as Lilith, is bound to the will of the person in the ritual, or perhaps she did it because she liked him more than she liked gendo or seele.
In the end of the day it was shinjis decision, and it was a rather bad one.

>He literally just became a second Adam. What gives? And what the fuck was his purpose with all the S2 aliens?
Dont quite understand your question.
>>
>>161522459
As in Shinji again was useless, Rei became the new God, Shinji just became a useless floating Adam.

Really, what's the logical story outcome here.
>>
I completed the original series and EOE, I gotta say I loved had to watch eoe twice but I got it best anime series I've watch.
But I don't Understand the third rebuild movie, can someone explain?
>>
>>161523411
No one does. But basically its shinji accidentally setting up the last details for seele to start instrumentality, kaworu being gay, and everyone hating shinji for unknown reasons (possible theory: shinji has angel blood / powers, amd people are afraid of him.)
>>
>>161523537
Why didn't they just explain things to him rather than treat him like a Terrorist?
But then again they are women
>>
File: Bullshit.jpg (24KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
Bullshit.jpg
24KB, 250x242px
>>161500664
I don't hate it but i think it's higly overrated. Dunno, i think i got it but half of the "hidden meaning" amounts to nothing but biblical references that apport nothing to the plot and, well, it's nice to see so much attention to detail, but there's a line between meaningful symbolism and just mashing all the shit you can together.
>>
>>161500900
This.
>>
It provides stupid people with something they can feel smart about for "getting".
>>
>>161514055
Evangelion is able to be understood by emotionally unstable people with poor social relations, thus women are more likely to get it.
>>
>>161506910
>Shinji and Kaworu stared at each other awkwardly for two minutes before Shinji offed him
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.