[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird Shit With Big Following

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 28

File: 1503425952647.jpg (406KB, 1152x1680px) Image search: [Google]
1503425952647.jpg
406KB, 1152x1680px
What are some shows/manga series that have weird themes but managed to gather huge following?

Pic related, MonMusu is far from being unique, but it is the most popular piece of media that portrays the topic and led to its normalization.
>>
File: 1464420880207.gif (778KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
1464420880207.gif
778KB, 540x720px
>>161495819
My two cents is that the character designs are not too crazy. When compared to other monster girls stuff, MM looks down right plausible. For me the concept of a large, active hybrid organism that can live entirely off of a few ounces of 'human essences' is too stupid.
Outside the 4chan circle jerk MM is just the right amount of weird and wholesome.
I HATED anime (and the Japanese narrative style) before I watched MM, yet it somehow has lead me to not be so close-minded about it as a whole.
>>
>>161496585
This. Take away the monster bits, and you have a group of girls struggling to adapt to a culture shock while being helped out by the romance interest. My two best friends love the show. Then again they're lesbian as fuck so probably watch it for the same reason most people do. Miia best girl.
>>
File: 1453585562634.jpg (514KB, 1280x1787px) Image search: [Google]
1453585562634.jpg
514KB, 1280x1787px
>>161496585
Another thing related to character design is that they are based in myth and legend, but are sufficiently 'monster' enough and not just 'cute human with extras'. Examples: Demi-chan, Rosario+Vampire, etc. Also the girls are not other beings pretending to be human like Dragon Maid. They are what they are with no way to hide it. Makes them honest I suppose.
That said I enjoy all three of those examples.
>>
File: 1455041955716.jpg (2MB, 1907x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1455041955716.jpg
2MB, 1907x1600px
>>161496783
Ahh, boobs. So good, even those that have them enjoy others too.
>Romantic interest
I think one of the nice things about MM is that the romance is a pretense for plot, but is done in away that is not so nauseatingly over focused.
In Rosario+Vampire there was a scene where the Male lead and Moka would just stare at each other and say each others names. While certainly 'aww', it got a little old fast, but also set in stone who the winner would be at far too early a point.
>Culture shock
That's why I liked Demi-chan. Went into it blind and it was calm and peaceful when compared to MM, yet still addressed the differences in a way that had some weight.
>>
>>161496783
Lamias are overrated.
Rachnera is best girl, and driders are underrepresented in media.
>>
File: CVk-QwoUEAErbq6[1].jpg (46KB, 600x628px) Image search: [Google]
CVk-QwoUEAErbq6[1].jpg
46KB, 600x628px
The feels THE FEELS
>>
The character designs and personalities really do drive the show. I usually hate harems, but the MC here is present just to give the girls yet another thing to argue over rather than being a big focus of the series. He feels like just another member of the huge family, especially since the girls usually molest one-another all the time anyway so sexual advances are not strictly limited in one direction.

Another charm of the show is how relaxed it is. Ecchi shows usually shove in some sort of plot that makes it seem like the characters are doing something important. Here I could just sit back, relax, and enjoy whatever dumb shit Crabman had come up with over the years without having to sit through a generic story arc.
>>
Last thing I read of MM was when the Mermaid got kidnapped, has it gotten any better since then?
>>
>>161497478
neither better nor worse
>>
>>161497478
I dont know, anon, what would you consider "better"? It has had some more slice of life chapters and now it has a big arc going on that is going to culminate with two gigantic slime girls wrestling it out.
>>
>>161497284
This isn't the vampire chapter
>>
>>161497576
vampire chapter a shit, dying girl a best
>>
>>161497150
I loved Demi-chan too even though I found the differences most of the girls had (especially the vampire and the snow woman) compared to regular humans to be really small. But I suppose that might have been the point of the show.

The big difference between the MonMusu girls and the Demi-chan girls, however, is while the Demi-chans would usually be girls in a story about kids with disabilities being accepted as normal members of society and their issues addressed by a loving mentor, MonMusu is about girls who come from foreign lands and are trying to get accustomed to a new way of life in a new culture. If they spent less time molesting one-another and more time trying to adapt, I would have found the show more enjoyable, but thats clearly not what its focus is supposed to be.

Shy SUCC > any MonMusu girl
>>
>>161495819
Outside the girl's different shapes, it's just vanilla harem.
Jagaaaaan is very . Evangelion is very weird too
>>
Before a mod deletes the thread (even if OP is asking about weird anime/mangas and is using Monster Musume as an example), there are weird anime that got a 2nd or even a 3rd season and yet the owners of Monster Musume don't want to risk a thing for a 2nd season.
Heck, even there are very unpopular normal anime that got a 2nd or 3rd season, even if their sales sucks
>>
>>161498218
>Outside the girl's different shapes, it's just vanilla harem.
It is still extremely surprising that THE harem manga that has had every single one of its volumes appear on the New York Times best seller list is one about monster girls.

Evangelion was quite the upset for the whole industry so I do agree that it gathering a cult following was a big and pleasant surprise.

>>161498438
The author said he is interested in making a second season of the anime, so who knows. Its just that often anime is made in order to promote the sales of the source material, so since his product is so successful either way there is no need to further advertise it.
>>
File: Succubus_94a6dc_6170874.gif (217KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
Succubus_94a6dc_6170874.gif
217KB, 400x250px
>>161497784
The anime did a great job with succu-san. She was rather bland in the manga, and that forehead was too big. Now she is lively and active and they gave her head normal proportions.
>>
>>161498847
She is the most relateable character in the show. I honestly see her as the protag and not Sensei, since he is just a bit too perfect.
>>
>>161498908
I don't see the series being any less successful if she was the main character watching Iron-sensi do what he does. Perhaps make have a higher position so she isn't stuck teaching classes all the time and wander into him and the girls doing stuff more often.
>>
>>161499038
* make her have

* and then can wander
>>
>>161499038
She, Dumpire and Sensei all have MC potential and I believe the series would have been a success whoever the focus was. I don't mind a male MC in that case because he is actually a reliable and responsible adult rather than a bland and generic teenage neet/edgelord.
>>
File: 3VjvdYF.jpg (634KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3VjvdYF.jpg
634KB, 1920x1080px
>>161497373
>huge family
>Shove in some sort of plot

Thats another thing that I really like about MM. They aren't in school or are kids. There's no artificial constraints for them to work within, nor do they have to separate to grow up. The whole idea of lets make a series that can only last for as long as the characters are in school seems so short sighted.
The girls can grow as people, but never have to worry about losing touch as they are going to live in the same place for the foreseeable future.
>>
newfags see /vg/ crossies circlejerking over it and latch on because it looks popular
>>
>>161499907
4chan alone is nowhere near big enough to make something successful on its own. It also needs to somehow appeal to a wider audience. Thus the question in the OP is - how do weird things manage to find such wide appeal to the point where every single chapter of MonMusu is on NYT's top sellers.
>>
>>161500154
newfags see /vg/ crossies circlejerking over it and latch on because it looks popular, bring it back to the other sites they browse
>>
>>161495819
I still just like how the MC fully admits he's a leg man, and despite how well all the other girls treat him, he's still most turned on by the spider.
>>
>>161500288
You place too much influence on this place as far as I am concerned. It might help with the spread but claiming it all originates from here sounds a bit too self-centered. I dont have any evidence one way or another, though, so if thats your interpretation - have a blast.
>>
>>161497284
Don't pay the ferryman!
>>
I'm more surprised that after all these years, they still havent made a second season.

This was honestly the last harem anime I've enjoyed in a very long time.
>>
>>161500641
The manga sells very well so they have no reason to make the investment. We have now gathered more than enough content in terms of manga chapters for a second season, though, so I wouldnt be surprised if we were to see one announced at some point in the near future. The mangaka started writing really long arcs that might be there for the purposes of making a more satisfying narrative for a viewing audience.

>>161500457
I liked how surprised Rachnera was by that revelation. It was set up in advance some time earlier when Smith asked him what his fetish was and he said legs, which made the girls feel down.
>>
>>161500818
His being a leg man is still, to this day, my favorite joke about the entire manga. Where literally all the girls are wildly in love and faithful to him...none of them have legs, his fetish. Yet, he still blushes at the thought of Rachnera's legs.
>>
>>161500534
>anons obsess over okaydo's H-oneshots years before the manga
>general MG obsession being a niche interest for a long time
>anons are primary consumers of fan translations. translators dump here
>twitter engagement
>drawfags
>when okaydo feels down anons make a collage for him
>7seas anon even coming here to shill
I agree that attribution to anything happening here is very difficult, but if anons have any influence at all then i'm pretty sure that MM was something on which we had an effect, because these threads are persistent as fuck. At times we had continuous threads running on 6 boards at once.
>>
We've come a long way since MGQ.
>>
>>161500944
>faithful to him
>he dies all the time because of them and has to will himself back to life
>he hasnt fucked any of them
>Rachnera goes full bondage on most of the cast
>Suu is by now a seasoned cave explorer
Being Darling-kun is suffering.
>>
File: vs451dvs.gif (3MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
vs451dvs.gif
3MB, 853x480px
>>161500944
Shame nothing has been done with it except for the OAD original reference to that movie. At the very least I want to see him rubbing her legs with his hand or offering to help her clean them or something.
>>
>>161501104
I think that he felt initial attraction towards her, but after seeing just how nuts she is that kind of put him off of straight up going for her and choosing her as his bride.
>>
>>161501104
>At the very least I want to see him rubbing her legs with his hand or offering to help her clean them or something.
He's still a gentleman. He's not just going to indulge like that. It'd be kinda creepy.
>>
>>161501748
>It'd be kinda creepy.
Unlike helping miia shed or papi egglaying?

>>161501501
she's still the most helpful haremette and he acknowledges that.
>>
>>161501820
Does it even count as a harem if he doesnt even kiss let alone fuck any of the harem members? If its anyone's harem its Suu's.
>>
>>161501916
Yes it counts as harem. And no, suu is not the MC. She's just the comedic molester character. You have the haha-lesbian-titty-groper in regular harems too.
>>
>>161501820
>Unlike helping miia shed or papi egglaying?
Those were both things that needed to be done, and he was still apprehensive about it. Not quite the same as randomly rubbing her legs or offering to bathe her.
>>
>>161502005
I am talking about it from a practical standpoint, not necessarily anime-genre one. If I was the owner of such a harem I would be extremely dissatisfied with my predicament.
>>
>>161502050
Chitin needs care too.
>>
>>161502063
there's only smith cockblocking him to make it non-H. See the oneshots for comparison.
>>
>>161495819
>Momonsu
>Huge following

Is just a circlejerk full of real autistic people that spam threads in at least 5 board here, they even make fanfics they are the worst fanbase here

Protip: these guys are the same that like mlp and furry shit
>>
>>161502136
This doesnt make his situation any less unfortunate. And yes I am aware of the oneshots.

>>161502142
Its one of the best selling manga series in the west volume after volume. I am pretty sure there hasnt been a single volume that hasnt been in top 10 best sellers of its period.
>>
>>161500457
>he's still most turned on by Smith.
fixed
>>
>>161502260
>in the west

That doesn't mean shit, momonsu it's not popular and neither is good, and it doesn't change the fact that the fanbase is pure cancer, even the fanbases tokyo ghoul, MHA or SnK are better
>>
>>161497576
That chapter hit me hard when I realize that Crab wrote it in response to Kouji Miyata's death. Same mangaka for Oh, my Sweet Alien. Apparently they were friends in real life.
>>
>>161502496
It is more difficult for such niche and weird products to gain popularity here, so it is relevant to the topic at hand.
>>
>>161502496
Imagine having this autistic of a hateboner.

Also you forgot Jojo and DBS, faggot.
>>
>>161502142
Prove it.

...Y'know, without sounding like a jackass.
>>
>>161495819
Its babby first monster girl anything.
Its very bad as a harem.
>>
>>161503280
Good luck, this entire thread is filled with jackassery.
>>
File: 1499886008432.png (146KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1499886008432.png
146KB, 625x626px
We were having a good thread and then you dumbasses had to go and take the bait.
>>
File: 1472763225555.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1472763225555.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>161501748
>>
>>161503368
>Its very bad as a harem.
There is no good Harem story. Just endless blueballs and waifuwars. I think a good move for MonMusu was to go more plot focused as opposed to episodic/intro a new girl. I don't mind the transition at all.

>>161502142
>furry shit
Crab is so entry level when it comes to furry and anthro fetishes that I'm surprised you think that.
>>
>>161503576
I actually enjoyed the longer story arcs (the latest one included) as well as the slice of life moments such as Miia looking for a job quite a bit since it gave us a break from the usual harem things happening. I like the characters and wish we could see them in a setting where they could grow and do interesting things instead of constantly wanting Darling's affection, but since that hasnt been that big of a focus in the latest chapters anyway I am satisfied.
>>
>>161503665
Yeah, I love seeing new characters, but there were a bit too many lately so I'm just happy to see the main girls get a bit more focus again. I actually really liked the vampire arc just for giving Papi some spotlight. After being depicted as too dumb to even function lately, it was really cute seeing her trying to find Coolie's necklace in her own birdbrain way.
>>
File: fist_26.jpg (514KB, 1115x1600px) Image search: [Google]
fist_26.jpg
514KB, 1115x1600px
>>161503665
>I actually enjoyed the longer story arcs (the latest one included) as well as the slice of life moments
Agreed, when it was just introducing girls every other chapter and harem shenanigans I was interested, but I'm the kind of guy who gets a boner over verisimilitude. And seeing a world that "makes sense" with regards to extrahuman integration gets me going. Reminds me of the good days when Z-ton wasn't into NTR.
>>
File: 1472763016675.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1472763016675.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>161501916

He's only gonna be with 1 of the girls and it's obvious which one he's gonna choose.
>>
>>161503810
good hentai tbqh
>>
>>161503805
Yes, this arc was pretty great. It is also one of the reasons I like seeing Lala more involved in stories - she usually doesnt care about Darling that much and mostly talks to him when they are chilling in the spirit world because he died again. When she shows up to do things it usually involves more interesting and involved arcs or showing her actual power as a reaper.
>>161503810
Yes the introduction of grey-area business practices in a world populated with monster girls in the latest chapter made things a lot more interesting, especially since they got tied back to the time Rachnera entered the show. The attitude of strangers towards the girls, the changes to the world due to their arrival, and the contrast in comparison to their home cultures makes the universe feel a lot more alive and interesting. I hope we see more of that, and I think we will because the author seems interested in pursuing new places to take the story to.
>>
Papi is CUTE
>>
File: 1503056855038.jpg (481KB, 1600x1155px) Image search: [Google]
1503056855038.jpg
481KB, 1600x1155px
There's no reason for this garbage to be popular.
>>
>>161504524
I hope this trend goes away.
>>
>>161504524

Both that and the other one "Eromanga Sensei" have no business even becoming Anime. Huge waste of time and money when we've still got Psyren, Angel Densetsu and Akumetsu without Anime.
>>
>>161504524
I can't fucking stand this show! It's entire premise is something that's way too sketchy for being acceptable on TV. And as to prove my hate it all culminates down to one stupid kiss and then all done, back to regular life.
Every single character in the show needs serious mental help. Except the childhood friend and the otaku rich girl. They at least show signs of not being completely toxic to those around them.
And then the whole stupid premise gets ANOTHER series that won't go anywhere with it, and if it acctually does, it doesn't fucking matter since they are acctually NOT blod relatives, negating the whole point of the premise.

Fuck that show and everything related to it.
/rant
>>
>>161504861
>toxic
>/rant

Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1473358908_full.jpg (230KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1473358908_full.jpg
230KB, 640x960px
>expect a thread where people are posting examples that fit the OP
>it's just another monster Musume circlejerk thread

My vote goes to Psycho pass. It gets meme'd to hell and back but it's so mediocre. It's not even the enjoyable kind of mediocre.

And yet it was popular enough to get a movie and a second season.
>>
>>161504757
>Huge waste of time and money
I would say the same about most anime that is an adaptation rather than original work, but studios have to pay the bill somehow in the end of the day.
>>
File: 19276.jpg (101KB, 952x536px) Image search: [Google]
19276.jpg
101KB, 952x536px
Every edgy teen's fantasy.
>>
File: Usagi.jpg (804KB, 1980x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Usagi.jpg
804KB, 1980x1080px
It's no different from the other CGDCT shows, but this one blew up for whatever reason.
It's not even terrible but there's not a lot there.
>>
>>161495819
Kemono Friends. Berserk-tier animation. Why is it so popular in Japan?
>>
Isekai as a whole. This garbage in particular.
>>
>>161505641
Children, Manchildren, closet furfags, and people who want to fuck the girls.
>>
>>161505643
Name one good Isekai show.
>>
>>161505181
>>161505303
>>161505643
OP seemed to refer more to shows that seem to be too weird to catch on. These shows are immensely overrated, but it's not really weird that they got popular. It's very easy to pick out why they appealed to people.
>>
>>161505690
Typical response of someone who has no idea what they're talking about.
>>
>>161505735
>stupid super computer and aliens controlling the populace
>not weird
>>
>>161505785
Typical response of a nip mlp apologist.
>>
>>161505690
I thought i love animals too much but this furry shit is too much.
>>
>>161505785
Child, manchild, and closet furfag detected.

Entertain us then. What's so good about your shitty CGI show?
>>
>>161505735
The problem is that stuff like MonMusu isn't really weird or has weird themes. It's at it's core, a show about girls acclimating to a new culture. If you want weird you'll have to step into deeper waters; but I'm so jaded as to what is considered "weird" nowadays I can't really think of any shows like that.

Best I can give isn't a weird theme, but a weird premise. Thunderbolt Fantasy is a Taiwanese Puppet show written by the Butcher himself and it's not only got a second season in the works for next year, but a movie this year and even a light novel.
>>
>>161505735
The OP series is just another generic haremshit for people with small brains. Of course harem shit is popular.
It's mass produced and designed for that sort of mass appeal. Much like TLR and IS it's a normalfag series.
>>
>>161505849
Excellent pacing in the way it reveals the lore of the park, without entirely focusing on it. Doesn't rely on exposition to explain character actions and plot points and instead allows the audience to draw their own conclusions. Characters all have excellent chemistry and the main characters get very tangible and recognizable development over the course of the series. Insane attention to small details, especially with the behavior of animals, to the point that it gets difficult to recognize what was coincidence and what was intentional. Cute designs that incorporate aspects of the base animal in clever ways.
>>
File: 78e.jpg (639KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
78e.jpg
639KB, 1440x810px
Pretentious shit?
Pretentious shit.
>>
>>161505898
Wusha Thunderbirds?
>>
>>161506051
>beastiality is now considered a normalfag fetish
What a time to be alive.
>>
>>161506143
The only people who think Monogatari is "pretentious" are brainlets
>>
>>161497284
one of the best chapters
>>
File: bid3dxh.jpg (339KB, 900x1218px) Image search: [Google]
bid3dxh.jpg
339KB, 900x1218px
Is it the gore? The time it was released in?
Berserk is not a very good manga.
>>
>>161507559

No trolling, I feel the same way. I liked the Golden Age arc, but the rest of it thus far hasn't gotten much of a rise out of me, excepting the shocking and dark imagery. But even that stuff could only go so far. Maybe I'm just no giving it enough of a chance.

Oddly, the manga I keep mentally comparing it to is Gunm, which I adored prior to the ZOT tournament arc in Last Order. It makes me wonder why Gunm not nearly as popular are spoken about as much.
>>
>>161505725
Does Konosuba count?
>>
>>161508785
Yes.
>>
>>161501104
>>161501748
We could use a chapter of Kurusu helping Rachnera out with a difficult molt. Have him sliding his lubed up fingers under the old carapace to loosen it up to pry it off.
>>
File: 1503614567092.jpg (115KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1503614567092.jpg
115KB, 768x1024px
Overrated shit right here.
>>
File: 1503038394965.jpg (106KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1503038394965.jpg
106KB, 1280x720px
Babbies first Shounen series.
It got so cancerous so quickly.
>>
File: Reg.gif (655KB, 762x574px) Image search: [Google]
Reg.gif
655KB, 762x574px
>>161509942
As awesome as that would be, on the level of Miia, Papi and Merino, molting means she is growing. Which makes me wonder what the possible reason behind her getting larger might be. She has been shown to be able to stay trim despite the food.

My (bad) answer is that her spider body is involuntarily creating some internal space for making babies since she is so happy living with her Honey and her toys.
>>
File: 72756-1-1453150322.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
72756-1-1453150322.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
/a/ creams themselves over this series, but I just don't see why it's so popular. Sure the setting is nice, but it's so slow even for slice of life standards.

I guess Holo is all you need since that's all that ever gets discussed.ot doesn't deserve the popularity.
>>
To this day, the amount of hype, praise and embarrassing thinkpieces KLK got even from "normal" people absolutely astounds me, all just because of the Trigger name
>>
>>161510302
KLK is very much overrated. It threw the potential it had out the window early on, and rushed the ending episodes because of the pacing fuck ups in the early episodes.
Not to mention they decided to just copy DMC and Chrono trigger for the plot.
>>
>>161510302
You can lump that one together with TTGL
>>
I'm new-ish to waifu/fanservice anime but I recently finished Monster Musume and loved it. I've tried some other romance/comedy anime and they were just too sedated/"normal" to hold my interest. What else would you guys recommend?
>>161507559
>>161508207
imo, It depends on when you got in to it. The ride through Black Swordsman/Golden Age is incredible. I watched the anime on bootleg dvds back in the early 00's and read the Dark Horse volumes as they came out. Things definitely lose steam during the Conviction Arc though and the quality of the most recent two arcs will be dependent on how the series wraps up, if ever. Part of what makes Golden Age so good is how compartmentalized it is.
>>
>>161510985
>asking for recommendations
Fuck off
>>
>>161510985
>>>/wsr/
Kill yourself
>>
>>161511019
>>161511041
>Request threads belong on >>>/r/ or >>>/wsr/
>Threads
did I accidentally create a new thread with my reasonable question about a genre that's being actively discussed in this thread? christ, this is why no one likes you /a/.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.