[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why has animation quality imrpoved so much? I mean in the 90s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 198979.jpg (159KB, 713x1024px) Image search: [Google]
198979.jpg
159KB, 713x1024px
Why has animation quality imrpoved so much? I mean in the 90s we would never have as well animated tv shows as Space Dandy, Flip Flappers, Mob Psycho, Yozakura Quartet, Little Witch Academia or any recent kyoani show. Did studios start getting more money? Are there more talented animators? Did digital coloring make the production process faster so more effort could be put into it?

I know lots of people will get butthurt by the types of shows I mentioned. But I'm not talking about scripts or directing. I'm talking very specifically about the animation itself.
>>
>>161481386

Animation cells are like film, once you use one, its used. And they cost money.

Digital lets you redo something over and over, so long as time permits. Its also far easier to learn and practice when you aren't paying for art supplies over and over.
>>
>>161482135
They still draw frames on paper though.
>>
>>161483059
Yeah, but that's just pencil + paper. Before you would have pencil + paper + cel + retracing + paints.

Most backgrounds are also done digitally and that helps as well.
>>
>>161481386
You've special software like TVPaint for drawing and animating. You've got After Effects for adding SFX. You've got really developed 3d technologies for complicated scenes. Colorgrading and other stuff are really well researched now. A lot of stuff can be automated or has already been figured out today. It's also quite cheap. And we also have Internet so communication is also really quick.

That's just the things I immediately thought off.
>>
Anime really is better than ever
>>
>>161484681
Well, that's a matter of preference. Most of my favorite anime are from the 90s and 00s but I think that in terms of animation itself tv series of this decade really stand out. Just not as much in terms of writing and directing.
>>
>>161484863
I would blame it more towards the fact that you have to be really creative to have a stand-out plot nowadays seeing how saturated this market is.
>>
>>161485631
True, but usually I'm able to catch out the ones that stand out and while they can be great, they usually aren't the masterpieces I remember from the last two decades.
>>
File: Megazone 23 II.webm (3MB, 460x340px) Image search: [Google]
Megazone 23 II.webm
3MB, 460x340px
>>161481386
Digital makes it a lot easier, though really I think that comes at the cost of a better looking aesthetic in still frames. LWA is a good show for digital animation, but I still miss hand painted frames on cels.
>>
>>161481386
The amount of well animated shows increased because the amount of shows increased, it's only statistics.
>>
Honestly the only well animated LWA episodes were the first 3, maybe 5, and and 8. Overall it was incredibly inconsistent and it was annoying as hell.
>>
>>161482135
Cell shadow?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.