[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that In This Corner Of The World is in select theaters, is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 16

File: MAPPAsGraveOfTheFireflies.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MAPPAsGraveOfTheFireflies.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Now that In This Corner Of The World is in select theaters, is it better than Your Name and is it the best anime film of 2016?

I dunno about it being better than Your Name, but at least we got a WW2 anime that is palatable and doesn't make you want to huddle in a corner or slit your wrists.
>>
It's much better than melodrama filled Shinkaishit, with a convoluted romance. Also, it's less a war film and more of a time period film.
It's really just about Suzu in the end.
>>
Of course it's better than Your Name. That film is a 1/5 at best.
>>
>>161442420
>MAPPAsGraveOfTheFireflies.png
Fuck off OP. Don't compare that to Fumiyo's manga. They're completely different.
>>
>>161442420
War movies should make you want to huddle in a corner and slit your wrists though. War is tough shit.
>>
I doubt it's better than Your Name.
>>
>another "remember the nukes" movie

Garbage. Next.
>>
File: IMG_8208.jpg (94KB, 552x364px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8208.jpg
94KB, 552x364px
>yfw Harumi died and Suzu lost her arm
>>
>>161442782
(You )
>>
File: 1500146175981.jpg (53KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500146175981.jpg
53KB, 1280x720px
The MC shoots all US aircraft down with arrows and leads Japan to victory when?
>>
>>161442700
They usually do because in WW2 movies the bad guys always win.
>>
>>161442762
Your name wasn't that good though. The only good things were the animation, and art; Mitsuha's house was gorgeous.
>>
File: IMG_8365.jpg (140KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8365.jpg
140KB, 1280x1440px
>>161443334
>the director of ITCOTW directed a hyper violent anime series
>>
>>161443506
And story and ost and characters and tone and atmosphere and pacing
>>
I'm disgusted by the thought that there are people out there who think Your Name is better than this. Your Name might be entertaining, but the movie is hollow as fuck. It has no lesson, no meaning, and no insight into anything. It's just a cute story with a twist and a climax. Sure, it's entertaining but you get nothing else from it when it's over. In this Corner of the World at the very least is full of mono no aware.
>>
File: 1352589945535.jpg (52KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1352589945535.jpg
52KB, 1280x720px
>>161442960

>mfw childhood friend dying from radiation
>>
>>161443667
Disagree.
>>
File: mitsuha pondering.gif (1MB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
mitsuha pondering.gif
1MB, 720x720px
I'm a huge Your Name fag and I absolutely adored both films in theaters, though I've come to accept that Corner leans towards what constitutes as a masterpiece than Your Name does. The primary target audience for Your Name is definitely teenagers to young adults, especially with its themes on distant romance and urban-&-rural lifestyles. On the other hand, Corner is just a splendid visual adaptation that is meant for teenagers, adults, and elders to see, with rich mature themes that blend with comfy slice-of-life. Both films really influence audiences think about their past and present, and Corner does have the better advantage in looking at a family angle rather than Your Name's teenage romance angle.

That being said, both have their pros and cons from certain perspectives. To me, Your Name excels at visual details while Corner excels at artistic choices, and both are just splendid works of animation. I hold favoritism towards Your Name's ending because I like that the gratification for Taki and Mitsuha's forgotten efforts took a long time of waiting to occur and start anew, while Corner's take on the adopted child was kinda pushing things for Suzu's post-war healing from depression. Both films have much different messages to the point where they shouldn't be compared in what their creators intended them to do (Corner was about accepting reality of both its good and bad, and Your Name vouches to struggle through the bad to even achieve a glimpse of good that one desires). They're both about overcoming different obstacles for different situations and scenarios, so they both hold their own appeal but most certainly can be both watched by the same audience.

I'm fine with Corner being considered the better anime film of 2016 because I do understand its wider appeal compared to Your Name, but I still believe both are grand works of animation in what they each try to accomplish and convey.
>>
>>161443673
I'm sorry to say this, but you were born in a world where people have different tastes. It's shocking I know, but you have to deal with it.
>>
>>161443900
Your Name will be forgotten in a few years. It won't stand the test of time.
>>
>>161442420
>tfw still haven't seen it
>just learned from this thread that it was getting released here
>could've seen it Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, but now with work I can't go to any remaining shows

Is there anywhere I can get updated about anime getting theatrical releases? Like a twitter I can follow or something?
>>
File: 1492623551734.png (162KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1492623551734.png
162KB, 400x400px
>>161443673
>>161443900
In agreement here. I think both films are great though it's kinda difficult to compare the two. I would very happily recommend both films even to non anime fans.

Though if I had to say anything, watching Kimi no na wa is definitely a more enjoyable experience and easier watch. It's easier to finish Kimi no na wa feeling good and satisfied with how the movie played out. I can understand the criticism that the theme of the movie is kinda simple but that is not to say the film doesnt have depth. Fantastic art/animation and great soundtrack as well.

KonoKata on the other hand, I can see being difficult to enjoy simply because it's not a movie you can finish feeling particularly overjoyed like Kimi no na wa. It has an otherwise happy ending but what transpires in the movie can be really hard on the heart. I really liked the art/animation in KonoKata and liked the music but it's not nearly on the same scale as Kimi no na wa. Undoubtedly however, KonoKata is definitely the more moving and meaningful film.

If you prefer movies you can more or less consume and feel happy and have a good time with, than Kimi no na wa is hard to beat. But if you're looking for a film that will move you emotionally and leave you with a deeper impression, I think KonoKata is better.
>>
>>161444069
It's hard to say. Children growing into teenagers and so forth may be bound to watch Your Name at some point and continue the appeal. Corner will do the same too, though the global appeal may not be as wide over time. I'd like for them to both be remembered as classics, but again it depends on time trends.

>>161444220
Just keep browsing catalogs from time to time and see if anyone talks about theater screenings, then quickly check your local theater websites to see. It's best to rely on Word of Mouth now, because the marketing for both film releases in the West has been quiet and low-key.
>>
>>161444248
Also wanting to add, I had the chance to see this at otakon where the director was able to talk about the film. He discussed how he was afraid the pacing of the movie might have been a little slow and was afraid that it might harm the viewing experience for some. I went on to read other people's opinions and some did feel the pacing was slow. The movie definitely takes its time developing the characters and their situations, but personally, I never once felt that the movie was slow or dragging. Chances are if the director or others never brought it up, I wouldnt have even bothered thinking about the pacing being an issue.
>>
>>161443709
Wasn't that her sister?
>>
>>161444248
Very nicely said. I think the appeal can vary based of how the audience connects with characters, since there is much different focus in both films. Your Name has Mitsuha and Taki, two teenagers from different settings, share their experiences to understand and appreciate things outside of their comfort zone. Corner has Suzu, a young daydreamer living during WW2 Japan, become forced to engage with a new family and accomplish whatever she can to maintain that family's safety and smile. They're both much different characters that fulfill the genre role of their movies, so it depends on how much an audience values romance about lovers and romance about family love that really concretes their enjoyment of the films. Likewise, both can appeal to the same audience and work wonders on what to think about their own pursuits for love and/or family-connecting,
>>
>>161442420
Just got a chance to see it today and thought it was a great film. Watching Suzu grow was an absolute joy and the film was much more lighthearted than I expected considering its setting. I did think some of the stuff with her brother and the guy that she crushed on in childhood was more fleshed out though.
I guess I should also answer OP's question though and say that I did enjoy Your Name a bit more though. I preferred its youthful energy with its poppy OST, ridiculous premise, and optimism throughout.
>>
>>161444673
> some of the stuff with her brother and the guy that she crushed on in childhood could've been more fleshed out though.
is what I meant
>>
>>161444673
>>161444719
I agree, and I think I would have liked to see more of Shusaku (Suzu's husband)'s side of perspective, since he seemed to be the character who suffered the least out of everyone. I wasn't completely too fond of the ending where they adopt the orphan (I understand why, but it felt too sudden after the war), but I still think the approach to focus on Suzu's transition from daydreaming to reality was well-crafted for a huge majority of the film.
>>
>>161443709
She'll probably survive but be sickly for the rest of her life and eventually develop leukemia
>>
>>161442420
Doesn't seem to be getting a wide release in Canada, so I probably won't get to see it until the bluray. Looks really good though, I've been excited for it since it was announced. Doubt I will like it more than Koe no Katachi, though. But two good movies in a year are better than one.
>>
I didn't think that Shusaku would survive the war.
>>
>>161443900
I disagree anon. Kimi no Na wa really felt like one of Shinkai's least ambitious films. It had fantastic visuals (the comet rebirth scene in particular) and the same level of incredible backgrounds that we've grown accustomed to in his films, but did we actually have a new grasp on how time and space affect human relationships? Was this movie really trying to tell us anything beyond a happier version of 5 cm/ second? I really enjoyed this film, and completely understand it's wide spread appeal. It may be the most accessible non-Ghilbli anime film of all time, but nonetheless it seems weak in thematic contrast to its predecessors. Meanwhile, Kono Sekai was a tour de force that really shut out other anime WW2 films. I felt this film was much stronger than Barefoot Gin or Grave of the Fireflies in that it didn't require blatant gore or prolonged suffering to show the real damages of war. In fact, it's almost uncaring pacing and attitude just highlighted how disturbing real war is. The first real bombing was incredible. I felt the sound was upped by 10 or so db and that all of the past 1:30 min of film had just gone up in flames. I don't think I've ever seen a film use dramatic irony so powerfully. We knew from the second we walked into the theater door that there was no way to survive what was to unfold and yet we sat there and watched a woman barely reaching outside of childhood suffer through one of the most intense series moments imaginable in human history and we saw that depicted on a scale that barely allowed us to really absorb the gravity of what was going on. We saw the ruthless and benevolent nature of time and play out in a 2+h film in a way I had never seen before, and I love it.
>>
File: twilight hour.jpg (291KB, 1152x1536px) Image search: [Google]
twilight hour.jpg
291KB, 1152x1536px
>>161445933
I'm with you on how Corner was an intense ride of expectations playing with powerful emotions, though I personally think the same could be said for Your Name. It was ambitious in that it wasn't about accepting whatever happens as happened and moving on, like how 5cm/sec and Corner does to their own conventions, but it was about having the willpower and hope to keep seeking for new discoveries and other positives instead of just letting them come to you passively. It expresses a unique message that people, especially disaster victims, needed to hear, and even though Your Name involves fictional elements to carry the impossible to occur, it was the committed passion and willingness to change that motivates people to struggle through with brains and brawl in order to achieve what they desire, regardless of the newer consequences that will follow. That's the feeling I get from Your Name (and Corner to an extent) in contrast to past Shinkai memories: the importance of caring over remembering that leaves a deeper impression to the heart than anything else.
>>
>>161446323
>the importance of caring over remembering that leaves a deeper impression to the heart than anything else.
That's very interesting. I had not considered that at all. I still think there is a mismatch in emotional portrayl in both films, but you make a good point.
>>
>>161446405
If you had a chance to see it I'm curious to see your opinion on Koe no Katachi.
>>
File: 1501613376392.jpg (126KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501613376392.jpg
126KB, 1280x720px
>Didn't get this at my local art house theater
>Got the Fairy Tail movie though
I'm upset
>>
>>161446323
>>161446456
Sorry, that was meant for you.
>>
>>161446538
I do not have as strong of a feeling towards Koe no Katachi because I feel like it tackled on less significant and passionate themes than the other two films mentioned. It has a shorter target appeal towards mainly teenagers only, and certain elements, such as deafness and bullying, were not explored further enough to leave a deepening impression and were instead used by the plot to carry characters along into particular situations time over time. I personally do not consider it on the same tier as Corner and Your Name due to how little emotional impact it has on me with its message, but I do think it does hold up as an anime flick, even though I would not recommend it for everybody.
>>
>>161446772
That's quite interesting considering would've put Koe no Katachi as an easy choice over Kimi no Na Wa, I'm curious to have your opinion over some of Yamada's previous works in the K-on! Film or Tamako: Love Story. What are some of the other movies you've liked. Obviously character motivation is quite a strong suite to you, but what else has captured your attention?
>>
>>161446457
You should have put in a request anon.
>>
>>161442420
I live in the UK so I got to see it in June. Glad to see a thread at last.

I loved the artstyle and music of this film, and the little moments. I felt like Suzu was a really charming, relateable protagonist.
But two things bothered me (major spoilers, of course):

Why didn't she try to learn how to draw with her other hand?
And I wish she went with the better boy, but that's just me. I couldn't tell if we were meant to want that, or it's just my taste.
>>
ITT: Chinese cartoon connoisseurs lmao
>>
>>161442420
>muh nukes: The movie
>we nippon da real victims.
nah.
>>
>>161447240
I haven't watched much else. I consider 2016 to be the golden year for anime/Japanese films (which includes Shin Godzilla), so Koe no Katachi ranks very low for me personally.

>>161447377
She could never draw well with her left hand as much as she did with her right which she was accustomed to. It's an artist's dilemma, but she learns that she can still make art in her life through her friends and family, hence the scene where the ghost of her right hand pats her and bids farewell.

She couldn't be with the OnoD boy because she already married a man that she also loved. I do feel that the film could have explored more into Mizuhara and Suzu's fixation for him, since many themes associated with him are heavily portrayed (the heron, the rabbit waves, Aoba, etc). Also, young Mizuhara went through a depression that young Suzu helped to cure, though he never could come back to help her because she already has Shusaku and his family for support (the fact she can't write with the feather pen he gifted her is symbolic of that).
>>
>>161442573
>>161442782
>>161447723
(You)
>>
>>161446323
Not to be rude but personally, I don't find "Never give up and good things can happen" to be a particularly ambitious message. I can appreciate that the film does a good job of expressing it through Taki's struggle to find the town and Mistuha's struggle to convince people/her father, and their mutual struggle of trying to find each other, but even so, it just didn't have an emotional impact on me. Maybe because it's such a common message, or maybe it's more to do with execution than the actual ideas. I dunno, just giving my opinion on why I wasn't particularity blown away by the film, even though I love 5cm per Second.
>>
>>161448646
It is a common and obvious message, but it's also the one that's easily forgotten in desperate times. I felt the execution was great because it reflected on how people have forgotten how to act when something matters to them is gone, and what it meant to step outside comfort zones to accomplish something simply because you cared. My interpretation on the message is more to say that you (or mainly a disaster victim who suffered) can't just passively wait for good things to happen just because you suffered; you have to actively seek for those good things that you want instead of just taking any non-bad thing as a form of accepting reality. To accept reality also means to grasp whatever is in your reach of chance, and learning from those experiences of suffering will push you further to reach higher, even out of desperation. Your Name's delivers this theme well as a contrast to the past Shinkai films that simply accept things as they are, and I believe it's a good message for anyone to constantly remember whenever they forget.
>>
>>161442420
So is the whole dredging up Hiroshima thing a reaction to the idea that there might be a half-dozen new Hiroshimas if North Korea goes Nuclear?
>>
>>161447945
2016 was awful for television anime though.
>>
Why did they remove the arc with the prostitute?
>>
File: lemay.jpg (22KB, 450x433px) Image search: [Google]
lemay.jpg
22KB, 450x433px
>muh evil americans
No thanks
>>
>>161442420
I actually feel that in term of enjoyment, KonoKata actually more enjoyable than Your Name. While Your Name does impress me with some scene, it still fall flat out near the end and the first feel rushed so I don't even care about any character in the movie at all or how they feel or what happens with them.

But KonoKata did it better, it take time slowly adapting the character feeling fleshed it out so well that by the end of the movie I really care for Suzu and all of Houjou family. Also I feel that this movie is more of a how war can affect your daily lives more than world war 2 movies exactly. Aka I can self insert any kind of war in there and still get a splendid movie about how a normal girl live through that tough time
>>
miles better than Your Name. saw it with my mum
>>
Yamada killer
>>
File: 1494987483019.jpg (2MB, 3301x1382px) Image search: [Google]
1494987483019.jpg
2MB, 3301x1382px
I think we have a consensus already. The problem is a few vocal minorities not accepting the truth.
>>
>>161452929

Just let that one guy think Koe no Katachi is a good film. He'll eventually know how tasteless he is when it comes to quality films.
>>
>>161442420
distributor here dropped the ball on this one with not a single theater showing it, very disappointing after your name got a huge opening by anime film standards
>>161452929
poor Yamada
>>
>>161452929

I will never understand why people keep saying koe no katachi was underated. It's quite the opposite of that as they think a mediocre movie can be placed on the same level as Your Name and In This Corner Of The World.
>>
>>161453061

Yamada should just leave KyoAni.

Why stick with a company that has lost it's ambition for animation.
>>
>>161442420
I liked it. Wasn't a fan of how the timeline was constantly skipping ahead, and how everyone looked like children, but it was very well made and didn't pull punches. The first bombing scene when they're in the shelter was fucking great. Concussive power.
>>
>>161442420
>>161453871
I wouldn't even compare it to Grave of the Fireflies. To me, Giovanni's Island is a much closer proxy, with it's themes of family, and similar art style. Grave is much more isolated, grimier and uncompromisingly miserable.
>>
oh shit I didn't know in this corner of the world was in the cinema in NA, going to watch it tomorrow. Anyone in Boston gonna do the same?
>>
>>161453128
no, the animation is great but kyoani just pander to the otaku market, if they want their films to go further its gotta have that universal and critical appeal
>>
>>161453128
They're firmly implanted in the benign and dull Pretty People Being Nice to Eachother genre so far as I can see, although A Silent Voice seems to suggest they're becoming more willing to grapple with difficult material. We'll see what happens.
>>
File: ausdralian.jpg (13KB, 243x274px) Image search: [Google]
ausdralian.jpg
13KB, 243x274px
>>161442420
>COMING TO CINEMAS 07th December 2017
fug
>>
>>161443667
Characters were alright, at least they weren't bland or flat out annoying. Story was solid but I wouldn't say it was the best. It was pretty much thanks to the animation and music that the story was even more enjoyable.
>>
File: 1496316101478.jpg (201KB, 1126x1006px) Image search: [Google]
1496316101478.jpg
201KB, 1126x1006px
I thought KnK and YN were the only films to care about in 2016.
>>
>>161454104
dumb tripfaggot
>>
File: 1491165394850.png (125KB, 449x442px) Image search: [Google]
1491165394850.png
125KB, 449x442px
>>161454008
>three months after the BD release
>>
The art style reminds me of Peanuts at times, especially Suzu herself.
>>
i was so fucking happy when the bitch lost her arm serves her well
>>
kek I was going to buy a ticket for In This Corner of the World at Boston for tomorrow, but I accidentally bought one for today. Oh well that's me. Anyone in Boston, come and join me
>>
>>161443667
>story
Constantly genre-shifts from Freaky Friday body-switch comedy, to sci-fi + time-travel BS, to romance and does none of them well. It's like the writer was checking off a list of all the popular things to add in and melded them together to make a weird Frankenstein of a movie.

>OST, atmosphere
I can give you that.

>characters
They were completely bland and forgettable. You barely felt like the two main characters got to know each other, despite them living out each other's lives for a while.

>pacing
Since they were trying to do some much at once they didn't spend enough time on each part. Not enough time developing the characters or their romance.

If it weren't for the fantastic visuals and art direction, everyone would find it mediocre at best.
>>
So BD when?
>>
>>161454273
wrong
even critics that aren't on the anime bandwagon loved everything about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpwXATNGUsQ
>>
its not really that good because of how convulted it was but it was way better than Your Generic Flick
>>
>>161454418
>even critics that aren't on the anime bandwagon loved everything about it
Agreed. Just look at this thread.
>>
>>161454418
I loved that Kermode loved this movie as much as I did
>>
>>161454531
(you)
>>161454615
I found it weird he didn't have as much to say about in this corner of the world
>>
>>161454639
understandable I think, In this Corner is a great deal more straight-forward in concept and execution.
>>
>>161454639
I also think Kermode was blind-sided by Your Name and since then has entered anime movies with higher expectations
>>
File: IMG_7393.jpg (42KB, 539x566px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7393.jpg
42KB, 539x566px
>yfw Suzu was mistaken as a spy for drawing warships on the short and the rest of her family laughed at her hours later
>>
>>161453871
I think I found the appearances added to the down-to-earth-ness. So many anime girls are super tall with really long legs and big eyelashes. These, to me, felt more like actual people you could meet.

The proportions of the feet did remind me a little of classic Digimon, though.
>>
>>161456054
I liked the style too in a purely aesthetic sense, I just found it counter-productive in a film where time progression was so pivotal to the plot and the characters, the designs permanently locked everyone at around 11 years old.
>>
>>161455568
what a woman
>>
The only thing I didn't get what was exactly wrong with the rice after Suzu was following that recipe to a T.
>>
>>161456902
The rice recipe was never meant to be delicious. It was meant to keep the samurai full under poor conditions, Suzu didn't know that though of course.
>>
I think all 3 films are God Tier and too different to compare one another. Kimi no Na wa is a romantic love story. Koe no Katachi is a drama about coming of age and forgiving yourself. Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni is a historical bittersweet tragedy slice of life. All 3 have things they excel in and for one I'm happy we got such good movies in such a short time.
>>
File: 1501445494344.jpg (39KB, 680x638px) Image search: [Google]
1501445494344.jpg
39KB, 680x638px
>>161446457
>upset about getting Fairy Tail

At least it was a more enjoyable shonenshit movie unlike the other shonenshit movies. Be grateful you're getting any anime movies in theaters, period.
>>
>>161457509
This, all three films have different production layouts and thematic approaches that are vastly different and appeal towards audiences as more than just a good flick. It's better to have more discussion on each individual film on details you noticed or want to know more about than it is to continue an aimless movie-war.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.