[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did the ending of Death Parade make everybody else melancholic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Chiyuki_(1).jpg (62KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Chiyuki_(1).jpg
62KB, 800x450px
Did the ending of Death Parade make everybody else melancholic? It closed out all of its plot lines nicely, but, that being the case, it was true to its message about the ephemeral nature of life and humanity.
>>
>>161324616
>It closed out all of its plot lines nicely

No all, what about the whole shit going backstage with the ones controling the afterlife?
>>
I think the ending was okay, can't see why it makes so many people ''mad''.
>>
>>161324670

That's true. But given that we were sort of dropped into the middle of Nona's machinations at the start of the show, it ended the way it began. As an ongoing process--which is fitting for death, after all.

>>161324756

DId it? That's surprising to me.

Unless people were just upset that Chiyuki is gone, which I can understand.
>>
Death Parade is basically ReCreators: Interesting premise that was executed really fucking badly. Repetitive, melodramatic bullshit reactions in every single episode that involved games. The worst part is that no one ever even considered that the memories that suddenly got restored arent real. Especially the first EP was so goddamn stupid. You have a doctor who knows how the human body works. He realizes that, to cause pain, all you need to do it manipulate the brain. For some reason he accepts that they manipulate his brain to cause pain, but he doesnt even consider that they also manipulate his memories. Really compelling writing.
>>
>>161324959
But Re:Creators hasn't even finished yet.
>>
>>161324616
We only really cared about the OP and the old loli. And by "we" I mean I.
>>
>>161324616
It made me confused because no judgements made sense and the arc of skater was one of the most forced sad out of nowhere I've ever seen.
>>
>>161324959

You're mistaking your dislike of the premise of the show for a dislike of its writing. It's the premise you had a problem with, not the writing.
>>
>>161324817
>As an ongoing process--which is fitting for death, after all.

Still, we dont got much info about what Nona was trying to achive and for what purpose, I know she wanted to create a judge with emotions, but for what? and why was lotus-for-a-head guy angry about it?
>>
>>161324616
Last rules of Death Note are:
All humans, without exception, will eventually die.
Once dead, they can never come back to life.
>>
File: 1435019424375.jpg (41KB, 704x400px) Image search: [Google]
1435019424375.jpg
41KB, 704x400px
>>161325226
>let me tell you how you actually feel
Fuck off, the social commentary of Death Parade was shallow. That's not very impressive writing.
>>
>>161325226
Pretty sure I explained why its the dogshit, bin tier writing, not the premise. Looks to me like youre trying to make the writing be immune to criticism because of an abstract premise but thats not how it works. The shows writing is absolutely atrocious and theres virtually no consitency to it. The pseudo social commentary was incredibly flat as well.
>>
>>161325266
Never say never.
>>
File: 102475390668.png (436KB, 507x613px) Image search: [Google]
102475390668.png
436KB, 507x613px
>>161324616
I thought the ending was just fine, it reflected well on what it truly means to be human and we finally saw Decim figure out this cold hard fact. Like it says in the book, we are blessed, and cursed.
>>
>>161324616
Sadly I dropped it halfway. These episodic overly melodramatic shows like this or Jigoku Shoujo really bore me. I don't remember it having some sort of an overarching plot. Sob story of the week bullshit.
>>
>>161325310
>social commentary

what social commentary? in any case the show was more about accepting death and trying to live a life withouth regrets
>>
>>161325257

>I know she wanted to create a judge with emotions, but for what?
Because she thought emotionless judgements were unfair, and saw it was causing their system to break down. That's wht they were getting at whenever they talked about that people were dying too quickly. At least that's how I see it.

>and why was lotus-for-a-head guy angry about it?
I would say that's simply because he was supposed to represent the Old Way of doing things. His character didn't have much complexity.

>>161325365

You didn't though. Your critique was at turns vague, and otherwise misunderstood the purpose of the show (which is why I say you disliked the premise).

I'm not interested in changing your overall opinion of the show, just explaining why you have it.
>>
>>161325693
>misunderstood the purpose of the show
Shoddy writing has nothing to do with "the purpose of the show" you mentally handicapped nigger. Especially since this purpose you speak of doesnt even exist, unless you provide factual evidence that it does. So please go ahead. It doesnt matter if the memory restoration was used as a plot device to trigger reactions. The fact still stands that it was pulled off badly, no matter how hard you try to twist this. Something that is bad doesnt suddenly become acceptable/good because the writer didnt have any intention for it to be different. So no the issue isnt the premise, its the illogical writing that is particularly prominent in the first episode. In all the others this shit can be somewhat tolerated since neither of the cast members are doctors, not is pain caused in a non physical way. However the first episode (and by extension the second since it build up on it) is utterly laughable regards to writnig.
>>
>>161325532

For the most part, I wouldn't say it's nearly as down on itself as you make it out to be, but I understand where you're coming from.

>>161325965

The purpose of the show was simply to explore how people might react to their own lives and the decisions they made if given the chance to look back on them after death. The setting functions as a stage for that exploration. This is all self-evident.

Your focus on the mechanical background for how the system of death as portrayed in the show works is completely backwards. Your inability to suspend disbelief for a detail like the exact nature of the doctor's reaction (which isn't even necessarily unbelievable) in the context of a show that features an army of bartenders who make people play crazy games is puzzling. Particularly since all of that is in service to various portrayals of human behavior. Not that the stuff going on in the background isn't interesting, mind you.

Like I said, I think you just disliked the premise, as did the anon who I responded to above you.
>>
>>161326639
>The purpose of the show
Again, this doenst matter. If the purpose of a show is to be shit and it accomplishes that then it doesnt suddenly become good because it tried to be exactly what it turned out to be. Sure, its good at being shit but that doesnt make it good in general.

The fact that you point out the unrealistic aspects of the show makes it even less logical for a person to not assume memory manipulation. The more illogical the setting, the more you have to assume that every single aspect of the respective universe is being tempered with. You simply justify shoddy writing by claiming that the viewer should suspend disbelief due to the already abstract setting, but thats not how it works. By that logic you could never criticise any form of writing becuase the events occur in a fictional universe, therefore are always consitent in their realm no matter how badly written and batshit insane the reaction. Premise doesnt justify bad execution, and thats precisely what Death Parade is. Its half assed in its writing and only assesses what it deems worthy of assessing while using abstract events as a justification to push its narative, while never actually thinking it through. No more no less.
>>
>>161327130

>By that logic you could never criticise any form of writing becuase the events occur in a fictional universe
That's not what I'm saying at all.

The trouble here is you are presupposing that human behavior is entirely predictable, rational, and, to use your word, logical. The criticism below encapsulates that problem:
>The fact that you point out the unrealistic aspects of the show makes it even less logical for a person to not assume memory manipulation.
This assumption is deeply contrary to how people's minds work in the real world. Most people most of the time are not sufficiently self-aware to question the fundamental veracity of their lived experiences (moreover, why would they?). This should go without saying, but normal people don't think consciously about ideas like "memory manipulation", especially in the essentially magical sense that one might contemplate it in a fantasy story. Furthermore, you seem to be discounting that there is a difference between the perfect knowledge that your possess as a viewer of the story, and the perspective of somebody actually inhabiting that story.

In other words, the doctor's behavior in Death Parade is entirely reasonable.

>while using abstract events as a justification to push its narative, while never actually thinking it through
?
>>
>>161327910
>how people's minds work in the real world
Cop out

>moreover, why would they
Another cop out since the character already realized that something that cant be explained logically is happening to him.

>the perfect knowledge that your possess
At that point in time the characters knowledge of the sitatuion was equal to the viewers. In fact, the character actually had access to more information since only parts of his movements and thoughts were narrated or shown on screen.

Good job at utterly failing to weasel your way out of any of these points. This is a complete waste of time. I am done.
>>
>>161328475

Cop out.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.