[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Early Reviews Praise Shunji Iwai's 'Fireworks'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: C9WuyuBUMAES2mW.jpg (182KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C9WuyuBUMAES2mW.jpg
182KB, 848x1200px
Film and music journalist Koremasa Uno said the film doesn't feel like a work from Iwai or Hitoshi Ōne, the scriptwriter. Rather, it feels more like the anime of the studio creating it, Shaft, and its producer, Genki Kawamura. Uno also praised Suzu Hirose and Masaki Suda in the lead roles of Nazuna and Norimichi, respectively.

Film writer Tatsuya Masutō said that the expectations surrounding the film did not disappoint, and the anime could be better than the original live-action drama. He noted that the anime is more than just a remake, and the 90-minute run time compared to the 50-minute original helps add to the content.

Other people who saw the film described it as not feeling like an anime and being an emotional experience.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/interest/2017-08-14/early-reviews-praise-shunji-iwai-fireworks-anime-film/.119896

SHAFT does it again.
>>
File: warui-arai.jpg (64KB, 550x572px) Image search: [Google]
warui-arai.jpg
64KB, 550x572px
This is Shaft's first challenge to nip normies
>>
>>161127658
How much do you think TOHO paid them?
>>
>>161127658
>Rather, it feels more like the anime of the studio creating it, Shaft
That's sums up why I hate Shaft pretty well.
>>
>>161127889
It's pretty much what every studio wishes they had. A unique visual brand with recognition amongst the public to differentiate themselves from other studios in a marketplace where there are literally hundreds of studios that could be chosen instead of yours.
>>
>>161127954
>instead of yours.
I have a studio now? Great news.

Having a unique brand can nice but it can also be a prison. If you get bored of it or hated it from the start then almost everything else the studio is going to make in the future is going to be easy to hate.
That applies to Shaft and Kyoani imo.

It's much better if that unique brand is associated to a director instead.
>>
>>161127658
Good on Takeuchi, I'm looking forward to it.

>>161127823
>normies
Fuck off.
>>
>>161128113
>I have a studio now?
Its just a pattern of speech mate. Don't be autistic. It is clearly talking from the perspective of someone in charge of a studio. With regard to your main point though that is perfectly true but as long as it is working you might as well stick with it. SHAFT keep getting work from it and clearly making money as a business as do KyoAni.
>>
>>161127889
This is the reason I liked SHAFT's earlier works, since the style was still evolving and it was till new.
>>
I'm just watching live action and I don't like it
>>
>>161128254
I'm not talking about business decisions, just my personal taste.
I'm fine with Shaft being succesful doing what they do milking the gataris until they die, but I'm not gonna like them because they make money.
>>
>>161128435
And I am not arguing with your personal taste if you don't like what they do there are plenty of other anime out there making anime with different styles. Just pointing out that it makes sense from a business perspective.
>>
But didn't some random nobody on twitter say it was bad the other day?
>>
>>161127658
>Shunji Iwai
Iwai didn't direct the anime.
>>
>>161128797
>Nice cherry-picking. You can blame Yaraon for this, but quoting 3 tweets by the same person doesn't mean much. If you actually know how to read Japanese you will notice that it is getting trashed in general reviews, and critics are commenting about missed opportunities, disappointing art and animation quality for a theatrical release (which is somewhat typical of Shaft, and evident in trailers which showcase awkward 3DCG), and mediocre storytelling (people feeling that the movie was pointless after it ended). Some go as far as to call it unredeemable trash, and an effective soporific.
The article references someone claiming that it doesn't feel like an anime movie, but this is a load of bull, and should be obvious from the promotional material. In contrary I have seen commentators mention that the contrast between anime voice actors' and real actors' performances is jarring, and (from another person) that, compared to the original work, this adaptation does feel like an アニメ劇場版 - an anime movie/digest version of a TV series.

Finally, I got from an animation scholar that the film cannot surpass the original because it remains constrained in its visual style. The director decided not to implement Shinbo's idea of transforming the character art towards a manga-like style to reflect the changes throughout the film (I haven't seen the original, so I'm not sure EXACTLY what he's talking about). His conclusion is that because the film, despite having no technical constraints as an animated work, does not convey the feeling of a world where many realities interlock and are made possible, and where it is impossible to determine which one is real and which one is "correct". If Kawamura had had the courage to develop the artistic vision, this adaptation could have outgrown its status and become larger than the original. But it failed to do so and this is disappointing for an animation film.
>>
>>161128328
I liked it a lot anon. That pool scene was pure kino.
>>
>>161128797
>The most praise you will see about it if you aggregate constructive reviews is for the performance of Suzu Hirose. So if you are not careful, you might think the film is actually good as you browse through 50 Hirose fanboys and 50 Suda fangirls posting superficial messages about how "pretty" it is and more importantly about the voice acting and singing. Unfortunately it takes more than that. The general consensus among people who knew what they were watching is that the original film is superior. What I conclude from all these comments is that it is a forgettable movie that the Western fanbase will praise as the greatest thing evar before they get to see Yuasa's films and realize that everything else shown and praised in the past few years is actually mediocre/crap. That includes the crappy Okada film streamed on Crunchy a few months(?) back and Koe no Katachi, which people clinged on because it was the first movie of the year that they could actually watch.
>>
File: DDYWrjRVwAAyNiY.jpg (31KB, 640x464px) Image search: [Google]
DDYWrjRVwAAyNiY.jpg
31KB, 640x464px
>>161128328
>and I don't like it
>not being able to appreciate a Shunji Iwai film
Bad taste.
>>
>>161128328
I don't blame you, Japanese drama is fucking shit.
>>
File: 1652.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1652.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
>>161127658
>being an emotional experience.
What's wrong with this, These films are the best, I'm gonna watch it for the newbie female VA, She's been getting a lot of praise from this.
>>
>>161129012
Who are you quoting? If you're going to post someone claiming to be a higher authority at least post the source.
>>
>>161129149
this desu
>>
>>161129149
>>161129194
You guys are wrong but, OK.
>>
>shaft
So I'm going to feel the need to crack my neck every minute watching?
>>
>>161129056
>everything else shown and praised in the past few years is actually mediocre/crap
Said nearly every Western anime watcher ever. Nobody likes anything. This isn't news.
>>
>Rather, it feels more like the anime of the studio creating it, Shaft

So it's got tons of cutaways to solid colors or birds flying away, or extreme close ups to eyes or mouths?
>>
I like the animation shaft does, it's nice to watch. So I don't mind that it feels more like an anime, which it obviously is.
>>
The hate on the voice acting in Japan is unbelievable, they say it ruined the whole movie. And I have to agree, they shouldn't have used real actors and should have used a normal seiyuu. But Shaft fell for the "reality feel" meme.
>>
>>161127658

>not feeling like an anime

What does an anime feel like?
>>
File: 48164694.png (181KB, 616x465px) Image search: [Google]
48164694.png
181KB, 616x465px
>>161127658
Indeed
>>
>>161131316
kawaii desu ecchi baka
>>
File: IMG_3391.jpg (48KB, 484x478px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3391.jpg
48KB, 484x478px
>>161127658
>children
>>
>>161131372
ouch
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.