[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to create a mega-successful franchise?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: 2.jpg (85KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
85KB, 600x338px
Reading an article about Type Moon present in Comicket 92 on ANN makes me want to ask this question: How can a company set up a mega-successful franchise?

If you look at the west, especially the cinematic scene, you would see that having a single good film/novel/game/etc is not enough anymore. And the usually totted approach of the MCU has been shown not to be always successful to other works (the most recent example is the Mummy film.) I think it is about time we ask this question, not just to anime and game, but to the entire narrative-centered entertainment industry.
>>
I want to start with pointing out a problem horror franchises (and some anime like Slayers) usually make: over-reliance on established characters. Sure, interested characters is what make or break individual horror flicks, not just the whole franchise. But if you look at iconic characters such as Freddy Krueger, Mike Myers, and Jason Voorhees, you can see that they have been used to death without any new things about them after the first movie. All the while the new characters in the movies are reduced to target practices. Sooner or later people would have been tired of the same old character and not bringing in memorable new blood.

(Jason and Friday the 13th is a particular sour note to me. The idea of a copycat killer in A New Beginning is kind of cool, but no, they had to resurrect Jason.)
>>
You can see plenty of attempts at this kind of thing with anime that fail terribly. This stuff happens by chance.
>>
>>161119458
There are many layers to this and if you examine popular series, you'll see plenty of similarities between them.

>one of the keys of success for the of MCU and Fate is the backlog of recognizable characters. This is usually the starting point, if people recognize a symbol or any kind of visual you as a producer would want to capitalize on that by featuring it to a wider audience
>medium of origin is much more adaptive to risks, so they can try all sorts of ideas and see the reaction, the cost to produce a comic book, LN or VN isn't the same as the cost to produce a TV show or movie. So by testing in a medium with less risk, producers can determine if it's scalable or not from the feedback they get.
>An important part of the survival of a franchise is that it doesn't depend on one author, by having a mix of creators working on it, it attracts different demographics as well.
>Fan involvement, this is the hardest to predict and artificially manufacture but it's essential. Derivative content of any form is an indicator of success.
>MCU, Fate, SW and others are basically modern retelling of myth stories. It remains the most popular type of story today, because every culture has their own myths and how similar they tend to be, it can appeal to a wide demo. Not only that, but myth stories are multi-genre stories, they can have adventure, romance, action,ect. lending to their strong appeal.

The mummy dark universe or whatever it's called failed mainly because of appeal. They failed to make the characters appealing to modern audiences, they failed at creating a simple, consistent narrative that showcases their characters(brands).

The characters are antiquated, modern audiences doesn't care for them, which translates to "How people view character X is not interesting". Meaning, they would need to update the portrayal of those characters so it would surprise audiences, an example is what twilight did to vampires, it changed how people look at them.
>>
File: 1461249357503.jpg (154KB, 780x900px) Image search: [Google]
1461249357503.jpg
154KB, 780x900px
The more waifu candidates it has, the more likely it is to succeed.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.