[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the most definitive way to watch Dragon Ball Z? There

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 12

File: 3779341-2357767882-37793.png (152KB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
3779341-2357767882-37793.png
152KB, 350x262px
What is the most definitive way to watch Dragon Ball Z?

There are so many censorings, edits, recuts, remasters and minor changes throughout the steady release of several boxsets over the last two decades that it makes my head spin.
>>
>>161064863
I think the remastered dub with the funi voices throughout is the best, but that's just because the funi dub is what I've heard the most. There is a certain charm to watching it like the original run where the ocean dub switches over to the funi dub.

I can't handle the original nip though, forgive me. Goku's voice is just not doable for me.
>>
Read the manga. There is no such thing as a good Dragon Ball anime.
>>
>>161064917
>I can't handle the original nip though, forgive me. Goku's voice is just not doable for me.
Hey, Reddit.
>>
>>161064917
Oh, and original japanese music too, not faulconer, I only like faulconer at certain moments.
>>
>>161064943
I'm sorry. I have never reddited. I do not have an account. I think you'll find most people like what they grew up with.
>>
>>161064943
>>161065075
Gentlemen, please. This is not the thread to squabble over reddit. I'd just like to get some detailed comparisons between the editions.
>>
For me is the way I first saw it: Ocean dub from the start until Goku lands on Namek, and then the Funi dub with Faulconer music for the rest. I'm kind of indifferent to Kai and Goku/teen Gohan's voices in the Jap version make the whole thing a non-starter.
>>
>>161065404
If you want something actually good then read the manga. If you refuse to read then watch Kai. Kai removed most of the filler which makes it the best release by default, even though it has shitty music.
>>
>>161064863
Don't skip Dragon Ball memester. If you go subbed/raw stick with original music for Z. Only go Faulconer if you're on the dub and sampled some tracks (and liked them). I don't think he kicks in until season two though.
Kai and non-Funi dubs are all shit.
>>
>>161065607
>just read the manga
Jesus christ. Fine!
>there's like eight different editions
Now we're back to the same fucking question, anon.
>>
>>161064863
Just watch Kai. Problem solved.
>>
File: piccolo.jpg (67KB, 542x375px) Image search: [Google]
piccolo.jpg
67KB, 542x375px
Piccolo to Dr. gero
english-you know i used to be like you, one day you'll learn that the more you hurt others the harder your life becomes, it's simple your desire to kill is killing you

japanese- make a note of this, as we fight, we can take our energy, as you call it, amplify it, then release it in one explosive burst.
(karate chops his arm off)
>>
>>161065814
Learn Japanese and read the Kanzenban.
>>
>>161064934
/thread
>>
VHS recordings of Toonami broadcasts (commercials included) with Funimation dubs and Bruce Faulconer soundtrack.
>>
>>161066466
You just hit me with a heavy wave of nostalgia with this post, and I'm not really fond of the DBZ dub.
>>
>>161064863
No definitive way exists. There are tradeoffs. ALWAYS TRADEOFFS.

Personally I like Kai with Yamamoto's score but on Blu-Ray you can only get Yamamoto up to episode 76 (if you look around). Episodes 77-95 aired on HDTV with Yamamoto's score BUT they aired in 16:9 meaning they were cropped using a technique called tilt & scan (a vertical variant of pan & scan).
>>
>>161066466
>Faulconer
His soundtrack all sounds exactly the same though. Just generic 80s space music.
>>
>>161064863
dbz kai and dbz kai the final chapters are fine.

Dragon Ball Recut is a fan edit of Dragon Ball to be more manga accurate and it's basically perfect, you should be able to find a torrent.
>>
>>161065995
When content is being dubbed it is common to change the dialogue. Sometimes it is because otherwise it is difficult to match up the dialogue to the character's mouth movements and other times it's because the translators/localizers think they are creative geniuses who can do a better job than the original creators.

It caused some weird dialogue in dubbed versions of Z and Kai. So I just rewatched Kai in Japanese.

>I can't handle the original nip though, forgive me. Goku's voice is just not doable for me.
It's weird at first but you get used to it. Super sounds totally normal to me now because of that.
>>
>>161064863
Latin America dub is GOAT
>>
>>161067667
>dbz kai and dbz kai the final chapters are fine.
There's still a bunch of differences between releases.

For Kai (episodes 1-98) you have:
>100% Kikuchi soundtrack featured in some Blu-Ray and DVD releases.
>Yamamoto up to 52, Kikuchi the rest of the way in some more Blu-Ray and DVD releases.
>Yamamoto up to 76, Kikuchi the rest of the way in a few Blu-Ray releases (I think some DVD's had Yamamoto up to 72 or something?).
>Fuji TV HDTV rips with Yamamoto up to 95, Kikuchi 96, 97 (98 didn't air due to earthquake).
>HDTV rips from all over the world (nicktoons for instance had Yamamoto up to episode sixty something).
>Yamamoto revival project (Yamamoto manually re-inserted into dubbed Blu-Ray)
>Stitch Encodes release (HDTV audio + Blu-Ray video manually glued together for Yamamoto up to 97).
>etc...
Moreover, some of the above have dual audio, some do not. Some are in 4:3 (original aspect ratio) and some have been cropped to 16:9 (TV broadcasts, specifically, but I think some Blu-Rays have too).

As far as Kai: The Final Chapters:
>International version is named Kai: The Final Chapters. It was created first, only for international release.
>Japanese version is just extra parts/seasons of Dragon Ball Kai. Has roughly 8 episodes worth of content less than the international version (content was cut so that it could be broadcast in one year on Japanese TV). Episode numbering/titles differ a bit from international version. Some animation fixes/changes have been made to Japanese version.
The soundtrack for Final Chapters was entirely done by Sumitomo (same guy who does Super, Battle of the Gods, and Revival of F). I don't even know if Final Chapters had 16:9 cropping going on.

I just finished watching Kai up to episode 98 and am deciding what to do for the rest of it. That shit is not simple unless you don't give a fuck.
>>
>>161067760
Gokus voice is shit in nip, absolute shit.
It's one of the only time dubs are better.
Too bad the english dub screws with dialogue, characters (i.e gokus first ss speech) and censoring because piccolo, vegeta and goku are fucking great, voice wise.

An old womans voice just doesn't cut it for a muscley, middle aged male martial artist. Her voice is just bad in general, moreso because of her age(she's been at it for a while).
It takes the piss out of any scene with goku.
>>
Dragon Box
>>
>>161064863
It should be a 4:3 BluRay release of the original without censorship. But there is none.
I think there's only a few chapters at the beginning of the series. But eventually they decided it to trim it to a 16:9 ratio.
So far the best way to watch it would be the original Japanese DVD release, but it's by no means a "definitive" release.
>>
What are some good english patched VNs or games to get?
>>
>>161068680
I think there's varying levels of censorship in most of the releases. Even Kai has some (though not nearly as much as American Z).

It's kind of weird too, imo, since Blu-Ray releases typically don't have censorship.

The voice sounds natural to me now. Which is weird because I remember being totally put off by it when I first heard it.

>>161068772
Are you talking about Z or Kai? Also wasn't there a Z remaster (forgive me if I'm wrong, I've mostly been looking at Kai)? Was that in 4:3 or 16:9?

>>161068854
DBZ adult VN's?? I feel how Future Trunks must have felt when he realized it had never crossed his mind to try and surpass the Super Saiyan form.
>>
>>161068680
>murricans will never enjoy the materpiece that is the latin american dub
I feel bad for you. Nip Goku is indeed absolute garbage. Sounds like a neurotic old lady.
>>
>>161069040
DBZ is one of the few shows that actually has a good English dub, at least as far as the voices go. I've never seen it in Spanish, though I suppose I could since I understand the language well enough.
>>
>>161069040
My mexican coworker showed it to me.
While anythings better than hag goku I'd have to say too many voices sounded samey.
Like they had one idea of what a tough guy is supposed to sound like and rolled with it for a bunch of them.
They did the child voices better though.

>>161069144
It's generally shonen or western styled shows that have good english dubs
I.E. bebop, yu yu hokusho, dbz, outlaw star, dandy, ect.

DBZ is definitely the prime example though, as it didn't have to work hard to inprove on the original (voice wise)
>>
>>161064863
i watched z first, lost nothing
>>
The blu ray sets
>>
File: 1476031886403.png (523KB, 854x956px) Image search: [Google]
1476031886403.png
523KB, 854x956px
>>161067667
>watching Kai
could someone explain this meme to me? Why would a board that is puritanical about quality watch edited anime? There's no filler in DBZ, just like there's no filler in Beavis and Butthead. If you ever try to watch Beavis and Butthead in later releases with music video segments removed, it's too fast to be considered interesting. Same thing with the DBZ fights. If every conflict begins within a few seconds of the standoff, all of the tension is gone. If you watch them both, you'll find that the villains in the real DBZ seem to pose a greater threat; they're more ominous. These are pertinent moments we're losing. So too with the light-hearted stuff
>>
>>161072076
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>161072076
To be fair, there is some filler, like shitty villains that nobody gives a fuck about like that dude that took over kami sama's crib that Piccolo and Krillin beat.

Other's, like Goku learns to drive are also filler, but top tier episodes on their own. Remember that the original DB had plenty of comedy and just goofing around moments.
>>
>>161072513
Wow I sure give a flying fuck about Garlin Jnr, son of a character that at the time, I'd never seen before.

That was one pertinent moment!
>>
>>161072529
>>161072613
it's part and parcel, needing to get through it smacks of modern adhd kids watching their minecraft videos at 2x speed while they scream at the screen
>>
>>161072076
>There's no filler in DBZ
wtf
>>
>>161064863
1- Read the manga
2- Watch the original japanese TV version without shitty english dub
https://nyaa.si/view/932632
>>
>>161072076
Half of the anime was filler, and the pacing was slow as fuck. Kai is way better, just like how the Mike Judge collection is better because no music videos in the episodes
>>
>>161064863
I would watch the English Dragon Box release of Z up to the departure for Namek, then switch to Kai. The Saiyan training is much too short in Kai and there are some good episodes that pad it out in Z. Most if not all Namek filler is garbage, so you want Kai for that arc to skip it. Freeza fight is also where they toned down using filler to pad the series and started using actual padding (long shots of nothing happening to fill minutes), so not having to sit through that is a plus.

If you have nostalgia for Bruce Faulconer music, switch over to the dub with his music when you hit the final arc (the point the original Kai run ends, Trunks going back to his time and fucking up the future androids), since Kai's Final Chapters really doesn't cut much filler and there was some great Faulconer music in that era.
>>
File: emoti0nal trunks.png (26KB, 248x232px) Image search: [Google]
emoti0nal trunks.png
26KB, 248x232px
>>161073023
both examples were cash grabs. One to ruin a show for the Disney generation, one because they couldn't pay the rights for the music videos

It's shit either way, and what's worse is people like things I don't like
>>
>>161064863
why do niggers have to ruin everything turtle hermit? why?
>>
>>161068745
This desu
>>
>>161068745
>>161073971
Fucking this.
Everyone else in this garbage thread is wrong.
>>
>shiteaters who don't understand why nip Goku is the best

Great test for how full of shit somebody is.
>>
File: bulma fuck off.png (831KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bulma fuck off.png
831KB, 1024x768px
>>161064917
>Goku's voice is just not doable for me.
Get the fuck out of here, plebian.
>>
>>161068745
Good luck buying these.
>>
>>161072785
Not OP but thank you friend.
>>
>>161064917
If you're gonna watch the dub, at least watch Kai. The "remastered" dub is a hodgepodge that can't even have a consistent soundtrack let alone uses voices that are from the same year.
>>
>>161064863
Watch the original first in japanese so you'll get used to goku's voice in DBZ
>>
File: Dragon Ball - V22C318 - Page 04.png (416KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball - V22C318 - Page 04.png
416KB, 1024x1536px
>>161074383
>Goku should sound like an old woman with a ridiculous accent
>>
>>161064934
But I can't find the color scans anywhere...
>>
>>161064863
>What is the most definitive way to watch Dragon Ball Z?
It's not worth your time unless you are a nostalgiafag. The anime starting on the saiyan arc begin to drag on way too much so that it doesn't overtake the manga, and that's the reason behind this series's bad fame of characters grunting at each other with constipated faces for long periods of time, plus constant reaction shots from the ever present non-combatans spectating the current fight. Most of the filler is fairly bad, too. Stick to the manga and you should come out happier.

The anime before then is passable in the regard that these issues are far less pronounced, including the filler that is less in quantity and way better on average, excepting the last filler episodes after Piccolo's defeat with the wedding dress fetch quest, which can and should be completely skipped. Do not expect great animation though, even if it does have its moments in the third and especially in the second "Tenkaichi" tournament arcs.
>>
>defending dubs
I want nu-/a/ to leave.
>>
>>161079430
Dub Goku is just better. He shouldn't sound like a fucking grandma.
>>
>>161080647
>defending dubs
I want nu-/a/ to leave.
>>
>>161064947
Yeah, faulconer isn't bad, but I generally like the original Japanese music better
>>
>>161083224
You need to leave.
>>
>>161072076
The anime has atrocious pacing and Toei has always been a shit.

Read the manga.
>>
>>161072671
You're not watching the true version, deal with.

>The Dragon Balls were originally one big ball!
>Oops they weren't
>"B-but it's just a legend Roshi heard!
>Tenshinhan and Chaozu are con-artists
>Goku travels to the past
>>
>>161074383
Fuck off retard. It's okay to admit the dub can do some things better than the sub. Goku's voice is one of them; you just have shit taste.
>>
>>161064863
Original Japanese version.
>>
The Abridged version, by TFS. First seasons kinda eh, gets gud round season 2.
>>
>>161083224
>LOL
Speaking of nu-/a/, hi, newfag.
>>
>>161068680
>preferring kermit the frogku to superior innocent manchild
>being this fucked
>>
I absolutely hate Goku's jap voice and after over 100 dbs episodes I realized I will never get used to it. For the original series I'd say the remastered dub is the best you can get. I acknowledge 99% of the original dub is trash and even up to the Namek saga is still pretty bad in the remaster, but remastered android and Buu sagas are very acceptable. If the original dub cast just had the Kai Frieza then I would have loved it. I prefer Faulconer for a bunch of scenes because of nostalgia, but the Jap soundtrack is a much better fit for the series and better audio directing for when to use each track and at what volume which Faulconer failed horribly. Whatever Z release you get just make fucking sure it's original 4:3 with minimal filters.

Kai is great too, it's worth the space to have both versions. 11/10 Frieza. I preferred Z android-arc Gohan voice, but at least Cell is just as good. Consistent dub performance with no extra dialogue shoved in at awkward moments.
>>
>>161064863
A time machine
>>
It's kinda telling when only people that grew up on a shitty dub are the ones unironically defending it.
>>
File: 1491020092005.jpg (21KB, 322x296px) Image search: [Google]
1491020092005.jpg
21KB, 322x296px
>MFW I realize the reason Raditz has the long hair was to hide his tail until the reveal
>>
>>161067844
10 pesos have been added to your account
>>
>>161089176
It's kinda telling that for practically every Toonami anime seen by kids at the time, the japanese version is praised as superior or at least equal to the dub when they get older. YYH, One Piece, Gundam, Rurouni Kenshin, etc. DBZ isn't included in that list because even if a lot of the jap cast is great some like Goku/Gohan are so fucking terrible they ruin everything.
>>
I hear "Nu-Sabat" being thrown around a lot
Do people actually prefer I CAN WIN, I FEEL GREAT to a vastly improved pitch and delivery
Hell I'd even take Ocean Vegeta over the original
>>
>>161064863
By watching it in Japanese, with English subtitles, after watching Dragon Ball in Japanese, with English subtitles.

Minimal censorship. Minimal awkward recasts and jarring musical shifts. VAs picked by the original author. Genre-appropriate musical score.
>>
>>161064863
The manga

Even kai does not fix how shit the animation and art quality is even if the pacing is a lot better, and the manga has really great art and fight choreography.
>>
>>161078701
>I don't like it when things are weird
better find a different manga/anime series
>>
>>161089699
The only terrible main character recast I can think of was Frieza, and I can't even blame the VA for it because she did a great Genkai. Whoever green lit that cast should have been fired on the spot for suggesting it. For all of your other complaints you can just get a dual audio uncensored release and listen to the dub voices and japanese music.
>>
>>161089869
>dub
>>
>>161089869
Or just not bother with shitty botched derivative localizations in the first place
>>
>>161089176
It's kinda telling when only the lowest of nu-males defend grandma Goku.
>>
>>161089949
>argument

>>161089967
Yeah I would have gladly but there is no better alternative unless you meant the Kai dub but that wouldn't be the same. You're not seriously telling me that you watching nearly 300 episodes of a grown man that sounds like he was castrated when he was 8 right?
>>
>>161090108
Go back.
>>
>>161090126
I like it here. I don't know anywhere else.
>>
Before cable internet, I sent money orders to a surly fat man who sent back fansubs on VHS. The buu saga was expensive so I sent him a couple pics of my shota penis instead
>>
>>161090108
I'll never understand how you guys manage to stay absolutely fucking triggered by Goku having a high pitched voice as an adult. Like, that's somehow so bad that the laundry list of strengths that the Japanese version has ceases to exist or matter.

Explain this shit to me. Does it make you feel insecure to root for a guy who doesn't have a deep manly voice or something?
>>
I don't understand why no one minds Naruto and Luffy being voiced by women but somehow "grandma Goku" is an abomination even though her voice is great.
>>
>>161090335
It's literally "it's so different from what he sounded like in the dub I saw when I was 8".
>>
>>161090399
Because Luffy and Naruto are voiced by women in the dub too, so it's less jarring for the kids.
>>
>>161090407
I mean, it's different from what he sounded like in the dub I saw when I was 8 too, but I managed to move on mentally from where I was as an 8 year old a long time ago.
>>
>>161090470
If you're old enough to post on 4chan yet still watch dubs, you're a bit special.
>>
>>161090580
Most people on 4chan are more than a bit special
>>
>>161074383
Goku's voice in the dub sounds more natural for his age and does a better job at balancing out the serious moments with his childish moments. Nip Goku sounds way too immature for my tastes. I don't blame the VA, I blame nips for having shit direction
>>
>>161090399
There's nothing wrong with a woman voicing a boy if they actually sound like a boy, the problem is Nozawa sucks at it. She's supposed to be voicing a grown-ass man, but she totally fails at not sounding like a woman. Compare her to someone who actually has talent, like Rica Matsumoto.
>>
>>161090723
>one of the most legendary and beloved voice actors in Japan sucks at her job
Burgers, everyone.
>>
>>161090828
Yeah and the most beloved anime in the west is a shitty adaptation with a godawful dub. Lots of beloved shit is godawful, being Japanese doesn't make you immune to having shit taste.
>>
>>161090335
I just fucking hate it anon. I've been keeping up with Super and have gone back and watched a lot of major Z scenes with jap voices and I still hate it. I hate the fact Gohan has the same voice even more especially because she her attempt to sound more formal and reserved for him just come off as even more feminine. But there are a lot of great jap voices of course. One problem is that I only seriously tried out the jap later on so a lot of the decent voices just sound off to me or remind me of someone else, and for all of the great jap character casts the english casts are also honestly really good.

Vegeta is great but all I can think of LoGH Reinhard. Compared to Sabat who has a much rougher voice and it's hard to get used to.
Frieza is great especially when compared to original dub Frieza, but I still prefer Kai english Frieza over Nakao.
Cell is great with Wakamato of course but perfect cell's english voice was one of the highlights of the dub even before remasters. English perfect cell has to be one of my favorite castings I've ever seen. It also sounds weird when in the same scene as Vegeta because all I hear is Reuental.
No problems at all with Piccolo.
Krillin is another woman voicing a man and while it's nowhere near as bad as Goku it still sounds off.
17 sounds too monotone in japanese. That might have been part of the cyborg image but he just bores me whenever he speaks. The english 17 managed to sound calm but also more expressive.
No problem with Trunks.
Most of the new Super casts are great too, especially Beerus and Whis but the same can be said about their english casts.
>>
>>161090723
Goku in Japan is intentionally supposed to be played up as innocent and childish. It's just that the West has low tolerance for the man child character.
>>
>>161090918
>Gohan has the same voice
But he doesn't, you deaf retard.
>>
The north american dub sucks, enjoy your cartoonized-censored Dragon ball, the music is terrible aswell.

If you don't stand Japanese voices you should't watch anime at all.
>>
>>161090918
>watching dubs
>defending dubs
>>
>>161090662
Schemmel sounds nothing like a grown up Nadolny. That's a major ding against the voice. Another, is that even if it did, Nadolny sucks the biggest of cocks, sounding like some pre-pubescent Krusty the Clown shit.

Nozawa makes Goku's voice deeper when he hits that growth spurt, making it sound like a much more natural extension of his child voice.

Also Upa recognizes his adult voice in the Buu arc while they're gathering energy for the Genki Dama, so his voice is literally supposed to sound very close to his child voice.

>>161090918
>formality and reservation are feminine
Not the stupidest thing I've read in this thread, but it's up there.
>>
>>161090918
You need to go back to your Youtube comment section.
>>
>>161091058
It's even stupider when you consider the fact that Gohan clearly has a masculine speaking style, something I don't believe for a second murca-kun there even knows is a thing.
>>
>>161090399
The designs of the characters really help with that. I stopped watching the naruto anime shortly after the timeskip but then Naruto was still what 17? Luffy looks even younger when I think he's around 20 post timeskip. The delivery of the women voice actors trying specifically to sound like men makes it much better too. It's that same reason that I don't mind japanese Krillin too much but hate jap Goku.

>>161090999
Are you retarded or just pretending?
>>
File: Dragon Ball - V22C326 - Page 13.png (507KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Ball - V22C326 - Page 13.png
507KB, 1024x1536px
>>161090942
Yeah when I look at this page there's no doubt in my mind that Goku sounds like an old woman with an exaggerated accent.

WAKU WAKU
>>
>>161091126
>can't tell the difference between Goku and Gohan
>defends a dub where one guy voices half the cast
>>
>>161091170
Maybe the translator should've done a better job, then, considering Toriyama has specifically gone on record saying he pictured Nozawa's voice when he wrote Goku's dialogue for everything he did after the anime started airing.
>>
>>161091070
It's awkward as fuck to try to make arguments for a bunch of different characters without the post looking like a mess, and I'm lazy so I repeat some things.

>>161091205
I explained how they were different with the same voice actor you fucking moron. It's not a secret that Goku sounds like a country hic and gohan like a polite academic. You aren't special for realizing that or trying to argue that I didn't.
>>
>>161091058
>>161091121
Nozawa is completely unheard of in the west and a lot of her voice work hinges on the viewer knowing the difference in Japanese dialect to tell Goku and Gohan apart.
>>
File: 057.jpg (216KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
057.jpg
216KB, 1024x1536px
>>161091255
OSSU ORA GOKU!
>>
>>161064863

Sub if you're a big weeb

Otherwisde, DBZ Kai. Gets rid of retarded shit like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaLoTA6yICc
>>
>>161091126
>The delivery of the women voice actors trying specifically to sound like men makes it much better too.
Nozawa's kid Goku voice sounds like a weird little boy.

Nozawa's adult Goku voice is that, but deeper. It literally sounds like a grown up version of the kid voice. That it's higher pitched than the norm doesn't mean it isn't grown up sounding in comparison.

I'm sure Mike Tyson sounded even higher pitched as a kid too.
>>
>>161091318
All Japanese actors are "completely unheard of in the west".
Do you think any of your burger dubbers are known outside American dubfag circles?
>>
>>161091318
You don't have to be or speak japanese to pick up that "subtlety." It's obvious as fuck and it doesn't make them sound any better.
>>
>>161091318
nigga you literally just have to pay attention and you can hear the differences, I don't know shit about dialects
>>
>>161091341
>weeb
Hi /v/. Stay there.
>>
>>161067760
>other times it's because the translators/localizers think they are creative geniuses who can do a better job than the original creators.
>think

They clearly are doing a better job
>>
>>161077913
I would watch any version over kai. Kai sounds like straight translation shit and all the voice actors have gotten so comfortable with a certain voice that they just use for every other gig they get.
>>
>>161091491
>watching dubs
>>
>>161091058
>>161091121
The formality and reservation do come off as more feminine in tone whether you are willing to admit it or not, and Goku already sounded more feminine than other famous guy characters spoken by women. I don't care if she used the male versions for her personal pronouns like any other japanese man would, and if you seriously thought I didn't know about those differences just because I don't hate every dub then you're retarded.
>>
>>161091386
No, but they're not retarded like subfags, who keep shilling Jap voices.

>>161091390
>>161091391
Of course you do need to know Japanese to understand what they are saying. Nip language hinges less on voices and more on how a person speak.
>>
>>161091538
>says the same stupid thing again
>but ends it with "whether you are willing to admit it or not" this time
Oh, my mistake. Me btfo I guess.
>>
>>161091599
You don't have to understand Japanese to notice that Goku is talking like a retard. The accent Nozawa gives him isn't exactly subtle.
>>
>>161091599
>to understand what they are saying
That's not what we're talking about, retard.

The way they say it is clearly noticeably different, and you can pick up on this using your ears alone.

If you only watch little clips of their voices on Youtube to shitpost, you're not likely to notice. People who actually watch the shit can tell them apart no problem.
>>
>>161091599
The chance that you actually speak japanese are near zero so why are you trying to argue this at all? You can clearly hear the difference in speaking styles even when know maybe a couple dozen meme words/phrases at most, but you're still trying to act superior to others who can also easily hear the difference and realize it doesn't help. I could make the argument that Sabat plays a bunch of different major characters as well as others in different shows but because he has a decent vocal range they don't all sound exactly the same.

>>161091617
>greentexts part of my post
you win man
>>
>>161091762
>you win man
No bro, you won first
>>
>>161064863
Dragon Ball -> Dragon Ball Kai -> Dragon Ball Kai: Final Chapters.
Kai is objectively superior to Z unless you're wearing nostalgia goggles

Compare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmfyp_4JpUE
to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75gUJ_4SyY0
>>
>>161091880
thanks
can you at least explain how you think Gohan sounds more masculine than Goku when it's clearly the other way around? and how both of them sound so feminine that this relative difference is significant? don't try to tell me about muh pronouns, that's not good enough.

>>161091912
That scene really shows how the namek saga was so fucked up. The early dub was low quality voice performance until the imrpovements in the android saga, and I remember most of the shitty localization dialogue changes happening earlier on. Frieza's dialogue was especially terrible, combined with the poor casting choice from management and that voice actor had no chance.
>>
>Okay Nozawa-san, in this scene you'll be voicing Son Goku
>>YATATATATATATATATATATATATATA
>Terribly sorry I misread the script, you're supposed to be reading that as Gohan. Could you please redo the take
>>YETATATATATATATATATATATATATA
>Perfect
>>
File: 1502432781480.jpg (203KB, 1071x1021px) Image search: [Google]
1502432781480.jpg
203KB, 1071x1021px
>all dubs are bad
>even the good ones
>>
>>161092427
That is correct, good job on figuring it out.
>>
>>161091649
Goku is supposed to be a hillbilly, not a retard.

>>161091707
People who watch the shit still can't understand what the characters are saying.

>>161091762
Japanese Dragonball is way too reliant on Nozawa voicing Goku and the Son Males to the point that the show can't get the same result if someone else voiced the character.
>>
>>161092474
So anti dub fags(/a/ tryhards) have shit taste, thanks for the clarification.
>>
>>161092555
most people watch subs
>>
>>161092474
So dubfags have shit taste? Thanks for the clarification.
>>
>>161092630
What if you struggle reading subs and watching the rest of the screen at the same time?
>>
>>161092630
Most people sleep face up, I'm not most people.
>>
>>161092555
If you hate /a/ so much, why do you come here and sperg like a retard?
>>
Dubfags are brainlets, who'd have thought?
>>
>>161092666
Then you should go back to school until you learn the skillset required of a functioning human being in this day and age.
>>
>>161092666
Then what are you doing on /a/?
>>
>>161092630
Of course most dubs are dogshit nobody is arguing this. Only some dubs can compare to the original, but there are a few dubs that are objectively better than the japanese.
>>
>>161092683
I hate myself, also shitting up HxH threads.
>>
>>161092775
If you're not an elitist retard, why are you even on /a/?
>>
>>161092743
No.
And arguing this in a fucking Dragonball thread is especially retarded.
>>
>>161090723
Dude, I know japan has this creepy ass boner for women voicing pubescent males. But that shit is just terrible.

They won't even change the voices into males when they become men or transform into adultish monsterous forms for fucks sake.

I mean damn, Naruto sounds and from the look of his adult art looks like a butch lesbian for gods sake.
>>
>>161092963
If it makes you feel any better I wasn't saying the dbz dub was one of the objectively better ones. Goku is the only part of the sub that I outright hate, but that might as well be the same as disliking the entire thing.
>>
>>161091255
>Toriyama has specifically gone on record saying he pictured Nozawa's voice
uh huh...
>>
>>161093113
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/akira-toriyama-masako-nozawa-special-talk/
2 seconds to find
>>
>>161093055
Japan doesn't have a boner for women voicing young men. They rely too much on name recognition to advertise the anime. It's sorta like: Can Norio Wakamoto voicing a villain in hentai attract viewers?
>>
>>161067760
>other times it's because the translators/localizers think they are creative geniuses who can do a better job than the original creators.
Or it's because it's fruitless and idiotic to make a direct translation from one language to another like the meaning and impact will remain the same. Have you ever looked up the translation for a foreign song before?

It's the translator/ADR director's job to take this line and fine tune it for a new audience. YYH had a fantastic dub that made both Genkai and Yusuke more sarcastic than their Japanese counterpart, especially noting that sarcasm isn't as big in Japan as it is in America. It was the right call, considering the manga translations made Yusuke out to be a dork who happened to be a delinquent. It's also some of the least cringe dialogue I've ever heard in an anime, english or japanese
>>
>>161093189
I know that he went on record to say that, but he's more then likely lying because he personally likes the voice actress as a person, or he's getting a fat check out of it.

>>161093193
That would actually mean something if the women that voice pubescent males and adult men...were actually really well known. That's almost never the case. Ever.
It's just a thing.

I'm not judging anyone. I like it when they're kids and they can really rock the role.

But when they're becoming adults and teens it sort of sucks shit and it makes little sense for them to continue to do it.

I would have loved it if noizawa got gohan's voice till he grew up later, but an adult male did goku's voice.

But...you know...THINGS!!
>>
>>161093379
HEY
HEY
SHUT UP!
STOP MAKING FUCKING SENSE!
WE DONT TOLERATE THAT KIND OF THING AROUND HERE!
>>
>>161093379
YYH is definitely one of the few dubs that surpass the sub. And Sabat's best role.

>>161093485
A similar thing happened in the Kai dub with Cell arc Gohan still being voiced by a woman. The funny thing is I think the original dub also had a woman for Gohan at that time but it was disguised by the raspy voice. If a woman has to voice a boy at that age entering puberty I would definitely prefer it to be raspy than their natural voice.
>>
>>161093683
Colleen was good for Saiyan/Namek Gohan, but she was too feminine for Cell Gohan. He sounded like a wonan every time he grunted.
>>
>>161093485
All the iconic Japanese VAs are dead, or pushing 80-90s and about to be dead.
>>
>>161093485
>more than likely lying
That might be the case, but we will most likely never know the truth, so we have to take what he says at face value.
I'm assuming you've seen Dragon Ball and Z subbed, there is nothing wrong in wanting a deeper voice for Goku, but to essentially write off Nozawa's performance just because she doesn't sound entirely manly is retarded. Her delivery of lines is significantly better than anything I watched in Z and Kai dubbed.
Now with Kai, a lot of the cast are past their prime. Funi Kai is pretty good from what I've heard online, but I won't watch it since Nozawa is Goku to me.
You might want to do something about that reddit-spacing, it sticks out like a sore thumb.
>>
>>161093379
It's funny that you cite YYH as an example because that show's dub is guilty of what >>161067760 is speaking of in regards to localization. There are a quite a few pointless dialogue and name changes that really serve no purpose and aren't even done for the sake of localization, they're just there because the dub writers arbitarily felt like changing things. http://yuyuhakusho.wikia.com/wiki/Dub_Changes

>>161093683
>YYH is definitely one of the few dubs that surpass the sub.
Surpass? It's on-par at best. The principal characters were well-cast but some of the side characters were very poorly-acted.
>>
>>161093683
>>161093754
Yeah I know. I loved her Gohan voice. Her Teen Gohan voice was fairly weak, but she wasn't going to voice him again and kids can sound like that at that age.
If she tried a bit harder she could have sound like tween boy.

However I loved Frieza's first dub voice. That was fairly good. We saw the feminine face and manerisms and it's an alien and 1+1= 2.
It worked pretty well and she did a pretty good job with it.
Was creepy, more then a bit scary in more ways then one, and it was delivered well.
>>
>>161093887
Super's writing just doesn't compliment
>>
>>161094149
Super's writing don't compliment Nozawa's performance and makes Goku dumber than he ought to be.
>>
>>161093887
don't forget
>... THINGS
that instantly made his opinion worthless to 90% of the people in this thread and for good reason
also what are you even doing trying to argue one side of the dub vs sub shitfest if you haven't seen any of the dub, especially since Kai really is the dub at it best

>>161093989
The main cast is what is important. Yusuke, Kuwabara, Genkai and the rest were all better in the english version. The reverse is true for the dbz dub - most people only have a problem with Goku and maybe Gohan, but that single character is enough to make them hate the entire thing because it's the most important role. Anyway what side characters do you think were poorly voiced? I can understand if it was a one liner like somewhere in the dark tournament arc with all of the randoms jobbing, but a lot of side characters like the tournament announcers were amazing.

>>161094028
Original dub Frieza is where I draw the fucking line on your nostalgia filter. The early dub for saiyan and namek arcs in general was awful, and the Frieza casting was the worst decision Funimation ever made for the show. Go back and look at some of her scenes again, especially the horrible dialogue localizations that completely destroy Frieza's original character. It's not defendable. Thankfully Kai and Super english Frieza is one of the best dub castings I have ever seen, he's everything possible you could want in the character.
>>
>>161093887
I've been on 4chan almost from the beginning.
Secondly I've been spacing my sentences and paragrphs like this for longer then reddit has existed.

Lastly, voice quality matters more then line delivery. She does not sound male or masculine in the least. Her voice is too fucking cute to pull off goku.
But since you've grown up with it and love the voice actress so much you ...well you said it yourself.
She's Goku and no one can replace her.
So it just comes down to not taste or objective facts but nostalgia and being unwilling to let go of certain things that helped define us.

FOR GODS SAKE HER GOKU BLACK VOICE GAVE ME A BONER! I DOWNLOADED MULTIPLE GIGS OF EVIL MILF ART FROM PIXIV AND SPENT ALL NIGHT FAPPING TO THEM WHILE PLAYING HER GOKU BLACK VOICE IN MY HEADPHONES!! FUCK THAT!!
And then there's the VA who does Kale going full pant tent hentai on us.
Damnit.
>>
>>161094028
>>161094264
Pauline Newstone is a good voice actress, but casting her as Freeza was a bloody terrible idea. Linda Young wasn't any better, if anything she was worse.
>>
File: 2kux9XQ.png (354KB, 798x281px) Image search: [Google]
2kux9XQ.png
354KB, 798x281px
Does anyone have any more comparison shots like this?
>>
>>161094592
>they cancelled the second one mid-release

Fuck them for doing that. At least finish the goddamn Saiyan arc you money-grabbing cunts.
>>
>>161094447
I didn't actually watch DBZ where Newstone was Frieza but it was fairly creepy.
But Linda Young did a creepy as fuck Frieza.

It seems like you're simply judging VA's by how like the original japanese voice actors they are rather then their unique merits.
>>
>>161094447
Linda Young is who I am referring to in >>161094264. She did the Funimation Genkai and was perfect for that character, but casting her as Frieza was terrible and I blame Funimation not her. Chris Ayres is the Kai Frieza that is perfect in every single way, he captures the character in the same manner as Nakao does for the japanese. I don't know shit about Newstone and I've only seen parts of the Ocean dub, it was alright I guess but still a bad Frieza. It seemed to have an even lower age for an audience in mind than early Funi.
>>
>>161094723
It's more that Freeza is a male and should sound like a male.
>>
>>161094264
I've seen Z dub numerous times, I've seen the highlight clips of Kai dubbed and subbed (4x Kaio-ken, Goku's sacrifices, father-son Kamehameha, etc). There is a significant improvement, but it still doesn't compare to the original Z.
Hence why I said I wouldn't watch Kai, Kai in Japanese improves in a few areas, one being Goku's first SSJ transformation, but for the most part the voice acting isn't as good. Kai dubbed is much better than Z dubbed from what I have seen, but I much prefer the original voices to the dubbed ones.
>>161094358
>voice quality matters more than delivery
You're trolling, Z dub has an awful script and the lines are awfully delivered. Anyone who argues Z is better dubbed than subbed clearly doesn't remember it well.
Not only was it shit, but even nostalgia doesn't save it. Although they have improved, the voice actors and script writers still fail to grasp the characters they are portraying.
>>
I am the biggest manga purist on the planet but I will defend Australian Jeice to the death.
>>
>>161094766
Well, Kururin is an adult that doesn't sound like an adult.
>>
>>161094734
>It seems like you're simply judging VA's by how like the original japanese voice actors they are rather then their unique merits.
>>
>>161094734
Ocean dub was Hiam Saban and was treated as a young children's show. When the contract with Saban ended Funi could no longer afford to use the Ocean cast, which lead to the current actors being hired. The censorship bullshit the Ocean stuff suffered was all done by Saban because it was made for Canadian broadcasting standards and not US standards, so Funi didn't have to cater to that, which is why the Freeza Saga onwards dub had less editing. Unfortunately the new cast were literally off the street and were shit then, but they had started to grow into the roles by the Cell Games and were mostly fine by the Buu stuff.
>>
>>161094723
>>161094962
It's not just how the original voice actor did it, it's how the character was distinctly written to be by the creator. Nakao is one of the golden pillars of the japanese cast that is above any insults or criticisms from the people who liked the dub more, and that's coming from someone who liked the dub more. Nakao's Frieza is how the character is supposed to be, polite and humble to the extent that it terrifies you when he snaps. Definitively male but slightly upper pitched and royal sounding, referring to himself as lord and even people he hates with tongue-in-cheek respect. That's how he is and that's how Kai english Frieza is. He's not supposed to be mysterious or of ambiguous gender or suffering from asthma.

>>161094850
Kai dub is superior in both delivery and writing, but I personally prefer a couple of the originals that were recasted but still don't hate the new actors.
>>
>>161095012
Finally someone else agrees with me that Funi dub really wasn't that bad by Cell arc, and was even approaching Kai quality by the Buu arc at least in the remaster.
>>
Manga > Funimation > Pioneer >>>>>>>>>> Subbed
>>
>>161094766
Frieza is a creepy girl faced asexual alien that only has a male looking body. It having a creepy ass voice to go along with it works.

Also Goku Gohan and Krillian are canon males, and don't sound like men. At all. Not even to the Japanese.
People just accept it because they grew up on it and favor the actresses.
>>
>>161095191
Pioneer is literally the best dub of the lot. Ocean was the TV dub, Pioneer was the dub of the first three movies using the Ocean cast, Japanese music and an extremely accurate script. The only complaints I have for the Pioneer dub was
Dave Ward's Master Roshi, which was awful.
>>
>>161095212
Trying to play off his character as a boy/girl thing quickly falls apart when he actually starts talking early in the arc, falls apart even more when he starts fighting and is on screen for more than 90 seconds an episode, and is completely destroyed when he starts transforming and getting angry. He doesn't even have a creepy design other than floating around in his pimp chair.
>>
>>161095292
>no Sean Schemmel
Nah
>>
>>161095548
Peter Kelamis did Goku better.
>>
>>161091410
Hi r/anime. Stay there.
>>
>>161067844
Vegueta y Milk.
P.D. Onda glaciar.
>>
>>161064917
I'll always enjoy the dub to some extent but Kai is the only good one. The original Funi dub is mostly garbage, Ocean is legitimately way better. The Dragonball dub by Funimation is particular awkward.
>>
>>161064863
In Japanese, watch the version that has the Dragon Box remastering synched up to the original broadcast audio. The official Toei release of Z (and by extension the Funimation releases) have horrendous audio due to Toei junking all the original tapes, so the audio from home recordings done on betamax is as close to the genuine experience as you're ever going to get. Somebody uploaded a torrent recently of it.

For the dub, go with DBZ Kai.
>>
>>161093989
>Kayko
Never even noticed that until now, but that hardly matters considering they're pronounced the same. Toya to Touya is also superficial. It's not incorrect to spell it that way when romanizing Japanese. Actually, most of the names listed are either improvements or virtually interchangeable

>Instead of asking the Forlorn Hope to drain half of his life energy from him and Kurama to fulfill Kurama's wish which it does, Yusuke instead asks the mirror to take his life instead and the mirror decides to fulfill the wish without taking either life as a reward for Yusuke's compassion.
Improvement. There's no suspense if you're nicely asking the device to follow the loophole you just found

>Koto is given a more sadistic attitude and outlook on things.
Improvement

>The Beautiful Suzuki (as the Strong Tanaka) begged for his life at Toguro's 30 percent. The dub changed it to a mere 3%.
Improvement

>Younger Toguro's 100 percent and 100 over 100 percent was changed to him saying that he lied and what he claimed was 100 percent was actually 80 percent, with 100 over 100 being changed to 100 percent.
How needlessly complicated this sentence was summed up how needlessly complicated the original interpretation of Toguro's 100% power was

>Younger Toguro's final decision for being sent to the last cycle of hell was changed to Limbo for the english version.
This was the only legitimate mistake I can see. They even described him being tortured for eternity...in limbo
>>
>>161096304
The DB Funi dub was done after their original Z dub. It's actually pretty good.
>>
>>161096475
It is.
>>
I want /v/eddit to leave.
>>
>>161096498
Fuck >>161096475 was meant as a reply to >>161096294.
>>
>>161094264
>The main cast is what is important.
Agreed.
>Yusuke, Kuwabara, Genkai and the rest were all better in the english version.
Again, they're on-par, not better. Like I said, the casting is good, but the english voice actors don't really do anything that the japanese voice actors don't do equally as well. Sabat is good but Shigeru Chiba does hysterical things with his Kuwabara voice that Sabat can't, especially when he raises his voice to a high pitch. It's the same with the other voice actors. They are good, but there is no reason to say that they're objectively better.
>Anyway what side characters do you think were poorly voiced?
Most of the demon world arc characters. Some of the dark tournament participants. Most of Sensui's goons, Sniper (whose VA mistakes "muted emotion" for "monotone, lifeless talking") and Seaman in particular. They just sleepwalk through their lines without an ounce of emotion, the difference between them and the main cast are like night and day.

I'll just disagree on this one and leave it at that. I'm not specificially referring to you, but I feel that a lot of dub praise (not specifically targeting YYH, but the dubs people claim are "better") comes as a result of the standards for English dubs being so low that when even a SERVICEABLE dub is released, people immediately rush to say that it's superior to the original for vaguely-defined reasons. People consider it "better" because you're they aren't used to hearing an English dub that is actually well-crafted.

>>161096335
The name changes are inoffensive. Everything else is unnecessary at best and pointless at worst. Particularly the ones that change a character's backstory or personality for no discernible reason. We already know Yusuke is a good person, we already know Ura Urashima is bad, or that Itsuki is creepy, etc. The characters stand fine on their own without inserting 4kids-tier changes. It's almost like they think their audience is stupid.
>>
>>161096714
Koto would've been completely forgettable if she didn't have some semblance of personality seeping through her job. Even with characters introduced in the final arc, they still feel memorable because they sound like people and not archetypes, and that's thanks largely in part to the dialogue, which is usually abysmal in anime

>4kids-tier changes
What I listed were definite improvements though
>>
>>161096879
Yugiohfags call their dub changes as "definite improvements" too.
>>
>>161097001
>conflating diaper-shitting autists who like the 4kids ygo dub with a guy defending the superior yyh dub
now that's just disingenuous
>>
File: 1502126510041.gif (2MB, 620x308px) Image search: [Google]
1502126510041.gif
2MB, 620x308px
>>161097001
I don't pay attention to Yugioh, I pay attention to YYH. Stay on topic
>>
>>161097122
>my shitty dub is better than their shitty dub
>>
>>161097140
you' even mentioning those dubs in the same sentence is sad man, just stop. you at least had an argument until you started strawmanning with fucking yugioh
>>
>>161097204
One of my first posts in the thread, dude.
>>
Find a flaw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4iiX4KByYk
>>
>>161097848
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4iiX4KByYk

Found it.
>>
>>161097848
Nothing wrong, it matches the tone of Z much better, just like how rock music enhanced Broly a bit by making him more of wrestling heel. I like the Japanese soundtrack too, but it peaked around Cell Saga. I can't really imagine Piccolo's theme playing in the background in the Buu Saga, or baby sitting pan.
>>
>>161097848
You're not truly read to watch Dragon Ball Z until you've shouted SPARKING at the top of your lungs
>>
>>161098659
Makafushigi Adventure is way more better than Cha-La-Head-Cha-La.
>>
>>161098841
We Gotta Power is better than both. Fact.
>>
>>161078931
read the colorless manga.
>>
>>161064863
The abridged version
Thread posts: 208
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.