[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is manga on average so much better than anime?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 9

File: 1470953147732.png (174KB, 379x497px) Image search: [Google]
1470953147732.png
174KB, 379x497px
Why is manga on average so much better than anime?
>>
Better animation and voice acting.
>>
>>161029959
It's much easier to make.
>>
>>161030010
>>161029959
this and have more artistic control over what you write (most of time) so we have more stuff that doesn't feel like "the ecchi show of this season"
>>
Because there are more of it.
>>
>>161029959
Your thread just got deleted.
Fuck off.
>>
>>161030010
>>161030068
The opposite could also be used against it though, although I could see where you guys are coming from. If you have more editorial and more people to work with rather than just one guy exchanging ideas it could lead to a better and more developed idea.

>>161030078
Wouldn't that mean there's more shit though?

>>161030120
I swear to God I wasn't that other thread, if you're referring to the one asking about "japanese manga".
>>
>>161030068
That is not true. Editors for most magazines have more creative control unless they are established or it's a small magazine. There are exceptions, but not many. An example of this would be interviews in the spinoff magazines of "Big Comic" for example, "Big Comic Spirits" amongst several others. Same with lower-grade Kodansha stuff. The only way I can agree with you is we are only talking about usually a single mangaka or in some instances a duo and rarely a trio working on a manga unlike an animation studio team consisting of 20+ workers on all different cylinders not to mention outsourced help with certain episodes, animation cuts, sounds, etc.
>>161030010
Only true due to the fact of how many people are on an average animation team for a regular seasonal anime. This will never change due to the culture standard set by manga and anime so I must agree.
>>
Same reason why book readers on general are better human beings than movie watchers
>>
>>161029959
>Why is manga on average so much better than anime?

It's not and the whole idea that it is is a hipster meme. There's more shit manga than there is shit anime and the best anime are typically anime originals or adaptations that massively diverge from their source material. There aren't much more hidden but secretly good manga out there then there are anime.

Japan's preference for manga is purely a logistical thing.
>>
>>161030183
>Wouldn't that mean there's more shit though?
Yes. And?
>The opposite could also be used against it though, although I could see where you guys are coming from.
Both, have their advantages and disadvantages.

Manga is not better on average since there is much more manga is created than anime, but it's cheaper and easier to produce. This leads to a greater variety overall.
>>
>>161030183
Manga is cheaper to make from a business standpoint.
It's incredibly toilsome for the author, even with assistants, but for the publisher company manga is practically never a risk investment, unlike anime.
This means that publishers and authors can take a lot more risks with manga on what comes to the subject matter or themes of any given title. Of course publications prefer manga that fits to the demographic of its general reader base, so you go to a publication for your work that you think fits their catalog.
Manga also has like an astronomically larger consumer base than anime. I heard from somewhere that manga is the second most bought commodity in Japan following food. I'm kind of inclined to believe that.
Practically everyone reads something sometime. This means that there is a huge variety of different manga catering to a very wide array of interests and preferences.
As for whether manga is better on average or not is kind of irrelevant. The sheer amount of difference between quantity just means that you're most likely to find more uniqueness in the realm of manga.
>>
>>161030408
>anon talks out of his arse: the post
>>
Top notch blog anon.
>>
>>161029959
Kind of off topic, but are mangakas, specifically weekly shounen mangaka actually the hardest working people in the entertainment industry point blank? I mean when you see the average schedule of one and how so many work themselves to death, I really can't think of anything that can compare.
>>
File: IMG_0895.jpg (80KB, 355x641px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0895.jpg
80KB, 355x641px
People can just draw whatever they want instead of having to follow budgetary restrictions or trends.
>>
>>161030518
>how so many work themselves to death
Excluding Tezuka wanting to draw on his deathbed who has this actually happened to?
>>
>>161030483
Please give me reason to believe that I'm wrong then.

>>161030469
>As for whether manga is better on average or not is kind of irrelevant.
It is though.

>The sheer amount of difference between quantity just means that you're most likely to find more uniqueness in the realm of manga.
But the most unique and ambitious anime have few parallels in manga.
>>
>>161030408
I can understand this settlement, but we must also take in account there is an incredible amount of manga publication magazines homing manga. New manga are more likely to never get translated than anime simply because manga has a way higher output than anime. If we go back and look at the ratio of anime that received a 6.75 or higher on MAL compared to manga who received a 6.75 or higher on MAL since 2000, more manga would win. Granted when I did this statsical analysis I could only use MAL because it would take much longer to use lets say volume and dvd/blu-ray sales because I gurantee more people are likely to use a streaming service, watch on tv, or watch illegally than to also get the retail publication. More anime is being pumped out than ever, but the same for manga and more manga has always been produced by the sheer fact it's quicker to make a manga than an anime (not necessarily easier). And if you honestly believe there aren't more manga out there that are of at the very least good quality to anime, you're fooling yourself.
>>161030469
I agree with you 100%, you seem to be a very logical person compared to other imbeciles on this thread.
>>161030483
Exactly.
>>161030518
Pretty much most weekly mangaka are like this especially in big magazines like Jump and Weekly Shonen Magazine.
>>161030578
There were several cases in the 90's this happened to, but recently it's moreso they are getting very sick and you pretty much can't escape hearing at least once a month in a single magazine that one of the mangaka is very sick or something.
>>161030662
I agree in your statement towards, >>161030469 as shown in my first comment.
>>
>>161029959
Artistic freedom. There are a lot of good manga out there while for anime I can't say that.

>>161030578
Tezuka had cancer and If I remember well Kawashima finished Alive on his deathbed.
>>
>>161030662
>But the most unique and ambitious anime have few parallels in manga.
Sure, but I didn't write anything about the high points of quality, just quantity of what is usually considered unique, experimental, daring or niche, because there's so much more manga than there is anime.
Manga has more authorial leeway, despite editorial decisions from the publisher.
People who could be considered anime auteurs are very few. In manga such creative control is much more easily attained, because as said the cost of producing it being low, and most likely there being some kind of an audience for it, allows for risks.
>>
Japan has a thing where they stretch manga to cover too many minutes of animation leading to extreme boredom while in the west studios adapt books where they leave half of it out due to time restraints.
>>
Why are light novels better than both?
>>
>>161030008
>flip the pages quickly
>get an anime
>>
who cares about objectivity of manga being better than anime?
[translated] manga is on par or a only tiny bit better than anime.
>>
>>161031040
>light novels
They aren't.
>>
>>161031040
Light novels are a completely different beast. They have been around for a long ass time and have or at least had a distinct culture until they got wrapped together with anime and manga in the early 2000's since they were on that thin line.
>>
>>161031040
they are merging with smartphone novels as we speak and it's like that cultural 'enrichment' pol talks so much about.
>>
>>161030010
Precisely this.

Because it's easy to make, there's way more variety and therefore the probability of appearing a good story is higher, on average, than in anime.

Because it's easy to make, there're probably lots of people making manga and trying to publish, that means popular magazines receive lots of stories and can be very picky about which one they'll publish.

Competition and variety makes manga, on average, much better than anime storywise.

Artwise, manga usually have better art because it's static, but that's obvious.
>>
>>161029959
At the beginning, there's only one person that has control over the story and the art. There's nobody in the way of your creativity.
If you're lazy and can't draw, though, LNs are for you. You can hire somebody to be an illustrator for you, and all you need to do is write an entertaining story.
>>161031157
>all small caps
>wrong use of "cultural enrichment"
>saying just "pol" instead of "/pol/"
Please leave.
>>
>>161030008
This
>>
File: c68.jpg (51KB, 672x378px) Image search: [Google]
c68.jpg
51KB, 672x378px
>>161031040
Who the fuck actually enjoy reading light novel?

The writing is fucking terrible, like 9 out of 10 time i feel like i was reading some shitty fanfiction on tumblr
>>
>>161031304
Have fun with your memetic mutation of the very LN term then, it pretty much went from just short story literature form to imaginary ego shitposting and there are people who buy that anyway because japanese generally don't pirate.
>>
>>161030974
Tezuka had hepatitis c, he didn't literally work himself to death but if he hadn't worked so hard the disease wouldn't have finished him off. Ishinomori died of a heart condition at 60, his workload probably didn't help. Shigeru Mizuki said he used to be horrified at the two of them boasting about drawing four or five stories at a time, killing themselves for art. By contrast he lived to 93, not too unusual in Japan but a rarity in a high stress occupation as a mangaka.
>>
>>161031341
My fingertip softly touched the gentle curve that was Asuna’s shoulder. Her body quivered sharply. I slowly traced a path from the line of her collarbone to the nape of her neck.
“N…mm…”
Asuna let out a soft moan as her eyes closed. The blood rushed to her cheeks and her eyebrows furrowed.
For some time I watched Asuna’s responses in secret delight as I touched her all over the place. Slightly excited by her fresh reactions, I went a bit overboard as I kept my fingertip at a point where I was just barely touching her and continued to slowly glide smoothly across her skin. I crawled down her arms which were firmly hiding both breasts, circled around her stomach and reversed direction up her arms again.
“Ah…oh…mm…”
Every time my finger moved, Asuna’s body would shake and a soft moan would leak out. After caressing her entire body, I put my right hand’s finger under her small chin and lifted her head up. With my left index finger, I diligently traced her wet, shining, cherry-colored lips.
“No…not just…your finger…”
A softly blushing Asuna opened her eyes slightly and looked at me pleadingly.
“Kiss…me…”
“…”
I silently moved my face closer. Asuna’s lips parted slightly as if they could not wait any longer. But, instead of fastening our lips together, I softly poked her lower lip with the tip of my tongue.
“Mm…”
As if seeking me out, Asuna stuck out her tongue, but I restrained myself and moved to avoid her before softly touching her with the tip of my tongue.
“Ah, mm…ah…”
Asuna let out a irritated sound of both anticipation and need as I abruptly plunged my tongue into her mouth.
“Ah—mm!”
I violently swished my tongue around.
>>
>>161031341
>i feel like i was reading some shitty fanfiction on tumblr
Because you practically are. LNs have like zero quality control.
>>
There's a metric fuckton more of it.
>>
>>161031486
The wordings feel so fucking simple as well

Like i was reading some kinda shit for elementary kids
>>
>>161029959
That's because you're unable to appreciate the technical aspects of anime. You also can't appreciate the fact that anime production unites many talents and has a lot more at stake.
The criteria for judging anime and manga are also different.
>>
>>161031566
Consider the readership and it makes sense. Not that the authors were capable of much eloquence in the first place.
Fan translation quality certainly doesn't help either.
>>
>>161031645
If you want to say anime is better just say it.
>>
>>161031645
You sound like fucking Digibro
>>
>>161031040
Animes adapted from light novels are good because the film makes have more material to work on so theres less downtime in the end product. The anime artstyle is criticized less because the reader isnt watching the characters pictures most of the time.
>>
>>161031833
>animes
leave
>>
>>161030010
Light Novels are easier to make than manga, yet manga is, on average, better than LNs.
>>
you can go into the story much more with manga
it's less likely to be riddled with retarded fan service
it's easier and much more enjoyable to read than to watch (at least for me)
>>
>>161032182
>it's less likely to be riddled with retarded fan service

I'm not sure about that actually
>>
>>161029959
>more room for artistic talent and more room for plot development because of no animation budget/restrictions

idk anon pretty hard question desu
>>
>>161032496
Ok then why are LN garbage compared to manga and anime on average even though that's the easiest to make?
>>
File: Snapshot 2 (8-11-2017 12-02 AM).png (426KB, 1018x768px) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot 2 (8-11-2017 12-02 AM).png
426KB, 1018x768px
>>161029959
You shouldn't be allowed to discuss manga unless you can read Japanese expertly.
Also, a terrible art can ruin an otherwise fun story. This makes me so fucking mad I see red sometimes.
>>
>>161032560
Because you're not reading the stuff penned by legitimate studios and directors.
Unfortunately, the state of industry's taste has led to random otakubaiting schlock getting picked up so going by the "it got adapted" metric is no longer valid.
>>
>>161032560
LNs are written by people who can't write well enough to make actual literature, or people who would like to make manga, but can't draw.
There's literally no risk to publish the stuff because it's cheap to produce, and otaku without any semblance of good taste will eat battle academy harems and shit like that right up anyway.
>>
File: IMG_20170718_170309.jpg (44KB, 639x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170718_170309.jpg
44KB, 639x960px
>the people who read manga but sadly still indulge in battle shounen trash

Literally don't know how people stomach shit like Boruto anymore.
>>
>>161032927
Newfags, casualfags and i am sure a good sized of the bleachfags too
>>
Manga is, on average, defiantly worse than anime exactly because it's easier to make and publish. Since all it takes to make a manga is one dedicated guy able to draw shitting out a derivative version of a story he likes with a novel gimmick, of course most manga are gonna be trash. But you don't see that since only a small part of manga is being scanlated and that small part is cream of the crop of what manga has to offer, while comparatively small amount of anime is almost fully accessible along with the most trashy entries.
>>
>>161033237
I don't think doujinshi counts
>>
>>161033237
The best of manga will always be better than the best of anime

I mean, who the fuck actually count every single literally who manga ever published
>>
>>161033329
>The best of manga will always be better than the best of anime
Why?
>>
>>161033413
Because read the thread
>>
Because animating is harder than hand drawing pictures and less effective
>>
>>161033448
You are retarded
>>
>>161033468
No u
>>
>>161033464
That's right and put under the best hands with top tier animation voice acting and direction it will be better.
>>
File: 1474237999633.png (17KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
1474237999633.png
17KB, 800x500px
>>
>>161033522
Basically the skill roof is higher
>>
I like reading a manga and seeing the artist get better during the run.
>>
>>161032115
That's because its too easy to make, any untalented hack can write something
>>
>>161029959
You get more content for the same time spent.
>>
Manga has better art and pace

Anime has shittier art and pace but it is okay if you are one of the brainlet who can only enjoy something if they are animated and colored
>>
>>161033302
There are a shitton of manga magazines each running dozens of series that get quickly canceled and replaced, so it follows that manga produces larger quantities of trash than anime.

>>161033329
Not from a storytelling perspective since the goal of most manga is to be as "hype" on per-chapter basis as they can, and not to tell a compelling story in the most efficient manner. The advantage of more artistic freedom manga has over anime that should have theoretically lead to the production better works of fiction in manga form didn't really transfer into reality.

>>161033702
Detailed characters with shitty perspective and composition is not good art. Also, the better pace thing is just your delusion.
>>
>>161033937
>hype" on per-chapter basis as they can

Yeah in garbage magazines like shounen jump.
>>
Its the original and you can't beat it. Only if somehow the original is bad then maybe anime is a bit better.
>>
Anime movies have better quality
>>
>>161034246
There are cases where the anime adaptation is considerably better than its source material.
>>
Process is like novels

writing part is just a guy and his pen (and probably assistants), editors just approve it for the most part (unless it's Jump)
>>
>>161031040
Light novels are basically just anime scripts.
>>
They still make anime storyboards in silent manga format. Manga is better!
>>
Manga also have more credibility where Japan is concern.

I remember people saying that Japan both young and old read more manga on average than anime.
>>
>>161034386
Those are an exception though and they are still quite rare, the overwhelming majority of the time the manga is better than the anime.
>>
>>161034560
Practically everyone reads manga. Anime is a nerd hobby. Going deep into manga is a nerdy hobby as well, but there are a lot, a lot, of casual readers.
>>
There's a lot of shitty manga, but also a lot of shitty anime. Hard to say which is higher in that regard. But there are tons of great manga running all the time, in all kinds of genres. Whereas for anime you'e lucky to get 1 or 2 watchable shows per season, let alone maybe one truly good or great one per year. So manga wins.
>>
>>161033413
because the best manga will never be adapted
>>
They're really not. all the 'good manga' fags just have shit taste.
>>
seems to have a lot more variety than anime

especially when it comes to genres
>>
>>161031566
That's because Japanese people never learn how to read. It's their language that is too difficult. On top of translators not being able to properly translate shit.
>>
>>161031749
Isn't that the neckbeard who tried to defend moeblobs by saying they have deeper meaning/value?
>>
>>161034898
actual Japan authors would know more varieties of Kanji

they're called Light Novels because they are "light" on the kanji
>>
>>161035106
>actual Japan authors would know
But the general public wouldn't. That's why light novels are the industry. Their own language is holding them back
>>
>>161029959
is this from a manga or solo image?
>>
>>161035333
yes
>>
>>161035106
>>161035187
Kanji is so counterproductive as a writing system.
In alphabetic writing, ability to read and understanding are separate. When you learn a new word in alphabetic language you know already how to write and say it, more or less. When you encounter something you don't understand it will be easy to determine the meaning since you know how to read it, and how it sounds.
Logogram system lacks these advantages.
The argument for logograms is that once you know the symbol you know the word, and unlike alphabetic system where graphemes represent a certain sound, the meaning is conveyed to the reader regardless whether they know how to say it or not, but learning all the different intricate characters by heart and actually writing that shit takes so much more time and effort than chaining alphabet together to form words.
>>
>>161035433
>>161035433
very clever of you,
google image shows noroi michiru as
artist
>>
>>161034743
But there's no such thing as seasonal manga

you can set your watch to anime but talking about "recent manga" let along the good ones is hard to do.
>>
>>161029959
Because the inbetweeners working in your head are so much better than the ones they subcontract in the Philippines.
>>
File: fgfcv.png (101KB, 210x195px) Image search: [Google]
fgfcv.png
101KB, 210x195px
>>161031040
>>
>>161031833
>animes
Fucking newfags
>>
>>161035524
read the ones with suicide in the tags
>>
>>161035564
Basically this.
>>
>>161035564
heh
>>
>>161031157
>new mediums exist now hurrrr
>>
>>161029959
It's not on fucking Netflix
>>
>>161031749
I've never watched any of his videos, but thanks I guess.
>>
>>161029959
On average, dude? That's a good joke. Do you even know how much garbage manga come out every pushing down the average. I can tell you it's a lot less then shitty anime, because even those take actual time to make.
>>
Better art
Better pacing
No fillers
Variety (you would never get a Dorohedoro adaptation)
No rotoscoping (Aku no Hana anime is borderline offensive)

On the other hand good anime adaptations can be better than the manga. In the end, you can't have one without the other.
>>
>>161029959
It doesn't have to be waifubait to get published.
>>
>>161029959
Actually what do you base that statement off?There are way more manga than anime so it could very well be that actually anime are better than average than manga. If anything you could compare adaptions with the source material or original anime with original manga.
>>
File: 1405721870296.gif (72KB, 287x344px) Image search: [Google]
1405721870296.gif
72KB, 287x344px
>>161031044
Made me laugh
>>
>>161029959
Original material will always be better than any adaptation, it have nothing to do with anime, though there are exceptions, but you can count those with your hand, like Shingeki no Kyojin.
>>
If we were to compare the best works of manga and anime with each other which would come out on top? Everything is allowed.
I would wager Anime easily comes out on top.
>>
>>161041023
manga
>>
>>161029959
i guess the creator has more creative control, as long as said artist can draw and come up with ideas then said artist can pretty much do anything to his fullest ability, if a manga gets adapted into an anime then there are way more people working on one thing, and due to lack of communication the original idea may not be reproduced as accurately or as well, so the quality may be diluted.
>>
>>161041023
Why would you though? Two different mediums.
You don't compare a painting with a music album either.
Sure, they're both visual mediums, and comics have cinematography, so to speak, but the process of creating either and also the artistry behind them is completely different.
>>
>>161041177
Which tell the better stories within the confines of their respective medium. Thats all I am asking. Everything else should be left aside.
>>
>>161041651
But narrative isn't the only thing that determines the value of a visual work of art. Books are for that.
If you disregard everything else than the story in anime and manga and care for only that, you really ought to rather look into literature.
>>
>>161039277
>aku no hana is offensive because it uses rotoscoping
Seriously? Sounds like you're just misunderstanding the point of Aku no Hana's adaptation. it's better in many ways than the manga.
>>
>>161039277
Not only is there huge economic barrier to entry with anime, but it also has to be very marketable relative to its cost.

Manga are cheap to produce, and do not need to appeal to a massive audience to be successful.
Because of this, they can generally do whatever the fuck they want, resulting in more original stories and inspired work.

It's like comparing Hollywood stories to books.
>>
>>161029959
>more artistic control and freedom by the creator in both art and writing
>less of a need to appeal to the lowest common denominators to get high sales
>easier to make so more content can be produced with less time and money
>because of that there's a lot more manga than anime, ensuring that there's a higher amount of good stuff
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.