[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one who absolutely fucking despises his art style?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_4019.jpg (277KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4019.jpg
277KB, 960x1440px
Am I the only one who absolutely fucking despises his art style? It looks horrible and I can't stand it.
>>
No and you should feel bad for your opinions.
>>
Despise? No.

Find immensely overrated? Hell yeah.
As an animator myself, I never got the western love for his movies. GiTS, the Lupin Movies, RedLine, the One Piece Films +movie 6 all have better animation than his movies. the OVAs from the 80s do as well.
>>
>>161014958
>I never got the western love for his movies
They love them mostly for the same reason they love Disney films.
>>
>>161014898
Cry me a fucking river. Stop being asshurt and grow a pair.
>>161014958
That's a fair point.
>>
File: 4L_Z7tGDX2T.jpg (54KB, 1269x668px) Image search: [Google]
4L_Z7tGDX2T.jpg
54KB, 1269x668px
>>161014837
What's his fucking problem?
>>
>>161015063
Because they're shit?
>>
>>161014958
>western
That's a misconception. He is also loved in Japan. Maybe even more than in the West.
>>
>>161015577
I think his point was the the Japanese have a reason to like him due to him being Japanese, but the West doesnt have that.
>>
>>161014958
I think that point is arguable to be fair. Those films could be said to have more stand out cuts in them but Miyazaki's work has a stylistic consistency to its approach to animation at least which I think can be undervalued by anime fans.
>>
File: why tho.jpg (11KB, 255x200px) Image search: [Google]
why tho.jpg
11KB, 255x200px
>>161015577
>Misconcepion
I'm talking about animators and fans specifically in the west and you're going to call that a "misconception" because there are fans in Japan too?

Nigger, are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>161016208
Ever watch any film done by Toei before the 1980s? Shit was fucking fabulous. Those guys are Animation Gods - doubly so because they're also cheap as fuck when it counts.
For instance also done by Toei
https://youtu.be/4Ah2I166f_U
>>
>>161014958
I agree with you on this, however I think a lot of his success has to do with his films being widely accepted throughout pretty much any viewer regardless of age or how they feel about anime. I think when it comes to other animators that look up to him, maybe its just someone that inspired them from a young age? I don't necessarily care much for his art style either but I do think his attention to details in his backgrounds are really well done
>>
>>161014837
I don't really like it much either. Despise is a rather strong word, though. I just avoid watching his stuff.
>>
>>161016339
Toei only introduced their cheap as fuck 3500 frames per an episode of TV anime limit in the mid 1980s I believe. But yeah I love their 1950s-1970s films even if most of them don't exactly stand up in terms of story today they are very interesting to watch in terms of animation and historical value. Miyazaki and Takahata never would have been the same if they hadn't met people like Yasuji Mori and Yasuo Otsuka whilst working at Toei.
>>
>>161016214
There is a weird misconception that Miyazaki is loved mostly by the West and that the Japanese don't care about him that much. Japanese critics also consider him the best anime director of all time.
>>
>>161016600
They don't just consider him one of the best anime directors of all time. They consider him one of the best animation directors period of all time.

Here is a top 10 animation directors of all time taken from the Laputa festival's book which was voted on by mainly Japanese animators.

1. Yuri Norstein
2. Hayao Miyazaki
3. Walt Disney
4. Isao Takahata
5. Frédéric Back
6. Jiří Trnka
7. Max and Dave Fleischer
8. Kihachiro Kawamoto
9. Norman McLaren
10. Nick Park
>>
>>161016600
I thought that was just something a couple of /a/ contrarians say
>>
>>161015145
Do you have any more Miyazaki pictures with fake subtitles attacking a certain director?
>>
>>161016689
>Yuri Norstein
ALMOST 40 YEARS GLASS PAINTED
>>
>>161014837
I personally find him and his works highly overhyped.
But I'm ReZero fan, don't listen to me.
>>
>>161016746
He is probably overrated in that list because they love him in Japan and he is connected with the festival itself but his work is great.
>>
The only reason Miyazaki is regarded as highly as he is is because his movies arent controversial. There is a gigantic difference with trying to tell more family friendly films like Kikis, Totoro or Nausicaa and trying to appeal to a big crowd with something like Macross, 0083, FSS, Akira etc. Without touchy topics, many people will just sit there and look at the pretty pictures. They wont care if the writing makes no sense because theres nothing to annoy them. As soon as there is however, part of the viewers will shittalk the product for its ambigious topics and plot, which means it wont receive praise anymore. Plenty of works outdo Miyazaki for the sheer reason that their art direction is better. Mimicing what you see when you leave the door is so much less impressive than creating a fictional universe from scratch which is why the Miyazaki movie that ANYBODY should respect most is Nausicaa. However, when you look at movies such as Tekkon Kinkreet, Do you remember love, FSS, Crusher Joe, Akira, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and plenty of OVAs you will realize those are significantly more impressive for the abstract artstyles and environments they created. At least thats how I see it.
>>
>>161014837
Me too
>>
>>161016746
Also that list is from 2003. Some other notables in the top 50.

12. Paul Grimault
16. Osamu Dezaki
19. Mamoru Oshii
20. Tex Avery
21. John Lasseter
22. Kenzo Masaoka
23. Brothers Quay
25. Aleksandr Petrov
26. Tim Burton
28. Koji Yamamura
36. William Hanna/Joseph Barbera
40. Brad Bird
41. Chuck Jones
48. Hideaki Anno

I assume if it was done today Koji Yamamura would be much higher.

Full list can be found here.

http://nishikataeiga.blogspot[dotcom]2010/11/laputas-100-best-world-and-japanese.html
>>
File: saitama ok.jpg (22KB, 375x305px) Image search: [Google]
saitama ok.jpg
22KB, 375x305px
>>161017068
>Tim Burton
>but no Henry Selick
>>
I'll take his somewhat antiquated style to modern god aweful CGI any day.
>>
>>161017216
I can only assume they thought TIm Burton directed Nightmare?
>>
It seems Miyazaki is quite a controversial topic within the anime community, especially here.

I wonder why that may be.
>>
>>161017676
That is the funniest thing about all the hate about Miyazaki. It was pretty much memed into existence on /a/ through misinformation. Whenever I see a thread about Miyazaki "hating" anime more than three quarters of the people in there seem to unironically believe that is something he has said despite not having any quotable source.

The most he has ever said is that he doesn't like specific types of otaku obsessed with planes/weapons/war and that he thinks the anime industry is suffering because animators these days haven't observed people so don't understand how people act and this shows in the work.

Somehow that was twisted into "Miyazaki hates moe anime. Miyazaki hates the anime industry, Miyazaki thinks anime was a mistake, Miyazaki hates everything you like in anime". Let's not forget the fake "anime was a mistake" quote after all.

Most of the opinion on /a/ is just dictated by memes with regards to Miyazaki. It is the same thing that happens with almost any large figure in anime. Just most obviously with him and yet it still works. People purposefully misrepresenting what people have said in order to further some view or agenda they have that they are trying to push. Basically to bait for responses but then you get a whole lot of people that genuinely believe that and go on to parrot it if you spam it long enough.
>>
>>161017848
This guy doesnt seem to sound like he dislikes him because of memes, though. >>161017008 Why are you so sure that most people arent simply sharing his sentiments?
>>
>>161017848
His attack on military and similar otaku really gets me tho, because he himself is a fucking vehicle otaku. Every one of his movies is him jacking off to something like that, usually planes. He probably has more in common with the people he hates (and maybe the reason he hates them, the same way I hate all you fags) than anybody else, and yet, he singles them out and puts them on the spot.
>>
>>161017848
Then he dislikes moe anime, no moe characters act the way they do if you observe real people
>>
>>161019236
Are you being serious? Characters in Miyazaki's own films are moe characters. Sounds more like you don't know what moe means.
>>
>>161019408
do you?
>>
File: 4L_uPZ5s8dt.jpg (83KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
4L_uPZ5s8dt.jpg
83KB, 1136x640px
>>161017848
Out of context quotes and made up memes are the only things I've heard from miyazaki as a person.
>>
>>161015291
I honestly feel really bad for you if you don't enjoy any Disney. Either that or you're 17 years old and just trying to be a faggot on 4chan.
>>
>>161014837
Kill yourself you disgusting fiend.
>>
>>161020818
This one isn't out of context though. He was bashing another persons creation.
>>
>>161021282
What a terrible thing to do. Nobody on /a/ would ever do such a terrible thing.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>161017848
I dislike Miyazaki, as a person, because of how much he likes human extinction. In the larger picture, he really does appear to hate humans and humanity. In more than one interview he's come out as saying the idea of civilization collapsing, humans disappearing, and "nature" overtaking man's creations as very pleasant to him.

Nausicaa (especially the manga) and Princess Mononoke are both obsessed with punishing humans. He pays some lip service to good people on the side of humanity, like with Lady Eboshi, but they're ultimately villains.

The closest he gets to admitting how fucked up his own views are and critiquing them is in Ponyo. Ponyo's father aligns with Miyazaki's destructive impulses, but because of the movie he comes across as a grumpy weirdo, rather than the genocidal maniac he is. Miyazaki is happy to flood the scenery in the movie, but he shies away from showing anything remotely bad resulting from it (the people react to it like it's a vacation, not a natural disaster), so his critique or lampooning of himself falls flat.
>>
>>161021545
It's a funny thing for that to be a critique on /a/ where the majority of posters claim to avoid humans and human contact because of how detestable "normalfags" are and think themselves above others for doing so.
>>
>>161020865
Go fuck yourself. Your opinions are shit, too and you need to fucking die.

Please. Die already.
>>161020975
It's the truth. Miyazaki is pleb tier at best.
Stay mad, bitchboy.
>>
File: image_6.jpg (54KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
image_6.jpg
54KB, 500x382px
>>161014837
I can enjoy his style. It's not my favorite, but it works when combined with the amazing attention to detail and fluid animation that defines Ghibli's best movies. I just hate the hacks in the West who copy it poorly by making every character "blobby" and look as if they're made of marshmallows.

Bee and Puppycat is the fucking worst in this regard.
>>
>>161016689
Norman McLaren should be undisputably no 1
>>
>>161014837
>his art style?

It's not his style, it's the same style of character design from the 1960s. You can see it as far back as Heidi, Girl of the Alps.

The only difference is that Miyazaki can pour in millions of dollars and hundreds of animators into his projects now compared to then.
>>
File: 1460439434821.jpg (28KB, 258x215px) Image search: [Google]
1460439434821.jpg
28KB, 258x215px
>>161014837
>his art style
>his
Kudos OP for being a complete idiot.
>>
>>161024628
Heidi is literally WMT, and WMT is literally Miyazaki and Takahata tag team.
>>
File: 1459539721086.png (228KB, 358x408px) Image search: [Google]
1459539721086.png
228KB, 358x408px
>>161021545
So he hates humans, yet he states most anime suffers because the animators don't observe real people and "don't understand how real people act"? Why the hell would he critique others for not imitating "real people" he supposedly hates?
>>
>>161022247
Come on, put a little bit of effort into your bait anon. This is embarrassing
>>
>>161014837
I love Princess Mononoke because only monsters and slime are sticky
>>
>>161014837
No.. but it gets boring seeing all the same faces all the time. He has the same problem as shadman.
>>
>>161020865
Apart from Fantasia (which I watched when I was 15), I've never seen a Disney film through to the end in my life. Their films are poorly written tripe that survive solely on their animation and soundtrack.

I will admit that their shorts are quite good, though.
>>
>>161019408
>Characters in Miyazaki's own films are moe characters.

You know damn well what he means. Nobody acts like moeshit characters in seinnen SoL shows do.
>>
>>161029306
What he means is irrelevant. Nobody acts like the majority of characters of any type in any anime. What Miyazaki is talking about there is animators nowadays not being able to animate people in a fashion that is true to life.
>>
>>161029415
his fantastic stories portray them realistically
>>
>>161029440
Animation the way characters move. Not stories or settings. If you listen to people like Richard Williams and other prominent western animators they always talk about how animators find themselves spending their downtime in life just obserythe mechanics of joe people are moving naturally and then incorporate that into their work. Miyazaki is making the contents that since the animators themselves nowadays are mostly otaku themselves who shy away from other humans they don't have the benefit of this kind of observation and it shows in their animation.
>>
>>161029594
That should say how people are moving and making the contention.
>>
>>161016339
That's fucking Otaking tier. I doubt you have much skill in field if you think that's better than Ghibli.
>>
File: Duke_Nukem_Enters_The_Matrix.png (188KB, 335x389px) Image search: [Google]
Duke_Nukem_Enters_The_Matrix.png
188KB, 335x389px
>Listening to Arriety's song in German for the first time.
>>
>>161029594
Which in itself is fairly funny considering how accessible VoDs are nowadays. Its not like watching someone jump around on a screen is any different to watching them jump around infront of you. Guess hes stuck in the stoneages.
>>
>>161014837
Meh, his anime is for children. It gets the job done. I'm not the target demo for his works in any case.
>>
>>161014837
Why are you such a tsundere for Miyasaki?
>>
>>161014837
The wide eyes in his art are ugly as fuck.
>>
I don't like it, but I don't despise it.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.