[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overrated Shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

>recycled 5 minutes of animation every episode (not counting OP and EDs)
>formulaic episodes that always end the same way
>shit fights
>worst filler episodes ever
>characters get tossed aside until it's "their turn" for an episode
>end twists contribute little-to-nothing to the actual plot why is himemiya even turned into a witch? and why does that even matter?
>no yuri despite being hailed as a hallmark of yuri anime, there's more yaoi overtones if anything

Remind me why anyone could possibly think this is a masterpiece.
>>
File: 1502160619558.jpg (114KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1502160619558.jpg
114KB, 960x720px
>being this mad
>>
>>160952550
It's funny because you literally posted an image from probably one of the best episodes/duels of the series.
>>
Literally 2deep4u.
>>
>>160952620
You're right, her storyline with Saionji was actually pretty good I'll admit. If only every other episode was like that. Only Juri's first episode managed to make me care in the same way.
>>
>>160952550
>shit fights
>not appreciate a good duel
>>
>>160952693
I think the only real issue I have with Utena was that Anthy only really became an actual character in the last arc.
>>
>>160952550
>why was anthy turned into a witch
It's symbolism, she wasn't a real witch. Better shit than the sideways eye moe shit that all looks the same now.
>>
File: 1487135586528.png (71KB, 349x265px) Image search: [Google]
1487135586528.png
71KB, 349x265px
>>160952735
But then again, now that I think about it, this may have been Ikuhara's intention. Having her treated as property, rather than a person until the end.
>>
>>160952781
That was the entire point.
>>
>>160952802
>>160952781
Yeah well you can make your point without boring your audience for 30 episodes straight
>>
>>160952769
>It's symbolism, she wasn't a real witch
But she really was a witch, and Akio a prince who saved maidens.
>>
>>160952802
Yea, I think I probably actually realized this somewhere during my rewatch of it earlier this year.
>>
>>160952829
Princesses need a good rape to be saved
>>
>>160952825
"Boring" is a state of mind, nothing but an inherent emotional response which is entirely baseless as critique. Such terms are more so a criticism of yourself than of the given art itself, akin to "fun", "I liked it", "it was good", "bad", etc. "Boring" also implies that an auteur, Ikuhara in this case, has some sort of obligation to pander to your ideals of "not-boring", which completely removes their role as auteur and restricts them; certainly there is such obligation to the audience in terms of demographics and selling points when products are concerned, however, the topic isn't a product, but the art itself. If you cannot distance yourself from your biases, you have no place commenting in the first place.
>>
>>160952715
I wouldn't call most of the duels good, they were just decent. It's hard to get excited for them after watching her walk up the stairs for the 20th time, and watching her win in the same exact manner every single fight. Most of the duels don't even last that long, some are just a brief exchange and then Utena gets her power up and wins.
>>
>>160952963
If he wants me to take his product seriously as an art then maybe he could've actually directed new sequences rather than using the same ones again and again.

Anyway, it was apparent after the first episode that Himemiya is an object. It was apparent for the whole first arc. It was apparent during the Black Rose arc. It was apparent during the arc after that as well. Any of those 30 episodes could have been used to develop Anthy but instead we get intellectually insulting storylines like Manami turning into a cow.
>>
>>160953060
recycled fight and transformation sequences are a staple of mahou shoujo anime (especially of the 90's) and are partly and homage to that (see Sailor Moon)
It's also ecnomical. Be-PAPAS was a new company formed by Ikuhara after he left Sailor Moon and he picked up some friends like Enokido who had worked on Evangelion. Utena was a passion project for them and it's amazing it got funded at all, considering how weird and artistic it is. That said, its budget was very low. But like Anno, Ikuhara is very good at knowing when to use recycled animation for maximum effect in both saving money and visual impact.
Anthy is not an object, she is a real character and also an archetype of sorts. She is meant to literally be a mirror in which you're intended to self-reflect on your own reactions to her character. After watching the series entirely, if you go back and rewatch you notice that there's a lot more to her you overlooked the first time.
The entire point of Anthy being so hard to read for the first 33-ish episodes is so that the twist of her true nature at the end is shocking and fforces you to re-interpret everything you thought you knew about her.

>intelluctually insulting cow episode
so... you refuse to pay attention to the symbolism and subtle context of character interactions yet you think that's intellectually insulting? talk about hypocrisy

>>160952985
its like sailor moon. the stairs are the transformation sequence. this is not a shounen series. the duels themselves are not supposed to impress you with their action. no one watches sailor moon for the cool fights. go watch dragonball or jojo's or something if that's what you want, because this genre is not for you
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.