[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Held Back by Genre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

What are some anime/manga titles that you feel are held back due to the genre they are part of?

The first one that personally pops to my mind is Monster Musume with its really fun and colourful characters full of personality, who are stuck in a harem manga that does not allow them to display their full potential. They are all stuck chasing after [self insert character], which is a shame considering how much more interesting the story could be if it was not so formulaic.
>>
>the writing could be better if it weren't so shit
Excellent point, OP.

Harems aren't even necessarily bad. There are harems with good characterizations of the harem members.
>>
>>160925361
I think that the characterization itself is not the issue here, but rather the story telling after the characterization. To put it in other words, I am intrigued by the characters, but not by the situations they find themselves in.
>>
Not necessarily a genre issue but this was a great character who was stuck with only one or two repetitive jokes in a mediocre series.
>>
HxH

what it should be: adventure/drama of some kid finding his place in the world searching for his shitty father and dealing with morality behind inherent selfishness in midst of being an adult with responsibilities

what it is: chunni "omg hes so strong!" shit
>>
>>160927745
I have a similar problem with Kono Suba and the way its turning into the generic harem shit its trying to parody. Vol 12 of the LN is painful.
>>
Sidonia no Kishi should have been more about mechas vs aliens than waifus and SOL.
>>
>>160931190
Such a waste with such a gorgeous art style as well. I love my SoL but this shit drove me up the wall.
>>
>>160931692
Yeah, the problem is that he wanted to pander to everyone but his fans. Worse was that he made the switch in the middle of the story, because the concept of the beginning was interesting in comparison for what we got.
>>
>>160931190
I was pretty disappointed when it just became abut tentacle waifu and gender bender waifu.
>>
I want to see more of that planet that Hit was on in that Goku vs Hit episode.
I'd love more universal exploration for the sake of exploration. Maybe Jaco can get a second series where he just goes through the galaxy. I just want to see that space society ruled by Freeza and who buys the planets.
>>
>>160925272
Holy fucking shit are you seriously saying MM would be worth a damn without tje harem shit? Kill yourself off stream, I dont even care
>>
>>160925272
Read his other works, those are better.
>>
>>160933697
It would be better if it was not entirely harem shit. As it stands its all centered around a single guy attracting all the monster pussy in the universe, which can be fun for a while but starts getting silly as chapters pile on. It'd be fun to see these characters do something different than trying to suck one guy's dick. Bits such as Miia looking for a job have been the best ones so far since they break the monotony.
>>
>>160925272
>characters full of personality
What are you even talking about? Their personality is mostly different flavors of "I want to fuck MC". They are what they are specifically because of the genre they're in.
>>
>>160931190
what a shame

I did smirk at the harem stuff but ultimately it led to a terrible change in tone (not to mention lightweight ending)
>>
>>160925272
Plenty of chapters of monster musume have no lewds. I honestly always seen it as a SoL first and ecchi harem second. It works this way, and the ecchi dont actually stop the characters from being good.

The author tried to make a couple arcs recently and honestly they are pretty meh. He isnt a great story writter. I wish it wou return to pure SoL
>>
>>160925272
>colourful characters full of personality
How delusional and or retarded do you have to be to actually believe this?

All of the characters are generic cookie cutter harem tropes with less depth than a puddle. There is nothing unique about them nor are they full of personality. They are another generic harem cast whose only defining feature is that they aren't human.
They aren't held back because of the genre. They are shitty haremtrash girls because they are in a haremtrash series.

If you think they are "full of personality" then you need to read and watch more series. You reek of new.
>>
>>160925272
They might have had better development if they were encountered on a less daily basis, but then the title would be kind of misleading.
>>160937746
Stop drinking Dead Sea. Or keep doing and die from a heart attack.
>>
>>160925272
>personality
Nice joke
>>
>>160925272
Basically this >>160937746
You're an idiot, OP.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.