[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is it that usually the anime with the more unique art designs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

How is it that usually the anime with the more unique art designs are also the best ones in terms of story concepts and scriptwriting? If you've got an anime with more generic visual designs you know it's going to be a bad anime in most cases. How come? It's not like those two are tied together.

People sometimes use the phrase "form over content", but in anime it seems to be that the more form, the more content as well.
>>
>How is it that usually the anime with the more unique art designs are also the best ones in terms of story concepts and scriptwriting?
Because the style is used to infer something. If you use a particularly cute style, you are telling people at a glance what the anime is going to be about. That doesn't make the anime bad. It means it has a particular focus. Similarly, if you actively choose an artsy style, you are sending a very different message. "Stay for the ART!"
Lots of mangaka make their characters intentionally ugly so as to avoid any confusion.
>>
>>160914712
>if you actively choose an artsy style
What does that really mean though? I mean, I've head people calling anything from Kaiba and Mononoke to Dead Leaves and House of Five Leaves as "artsy". But basically all of those are completely different.

By that standard every werstern animated film or cartoon is artsy. Because they're all different and there is no one "standard" art style.
>>
>>160914562
>PSG
>best ones in terms of story concepts and scriptwriting

Hilarious
>>
>>160914879
It means you stylize the show in an unusual way that leaves the audience out of the comfort zone for a while.
>>
>>160914902
Name one show with a generic art style that has a more unique story.
>>
>>160915081
But what I'm saying is, by default there should be no "unique" in animation. In the states or europe every cartoon and animated film has its own unique style. Japan is the odd one that somehow created one unified, bland style which gives us the false perception that those other shows are somehow weird and different.
>>
Form follows function

Generic styles are lazy and more likely to be lazy in the writing as well.
>>
>>160915171
>by default there should be no "unique" in animation.
That's a meaningless assessment considering I didn't use the term "unique".
>>
>>160915215
Well ok, in that case I still don't really think what you write is true. I feel more in my comfort zone watching an anime with an unusual style like Belladonna or Ping Pong. If an anime has a generic style it's usually harder to watch, because anime already has lots of still images and most of it isn't animated fluently. So if the shots aren't striking in some way it easily becomes uncomfortable to watch.
>>
>>160915286
>I feel more in my comfort zone watching an anime with an unusual style
I'm not talking about your overall experience. I am talking about your visual experience. Your brain expends more effort deciphering the information it's receiving from the eyes. You need to establish a new standard for what a nose is before you can look at a Fukumoto drawing and not have your brain go "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!?"
>>
>>160915138
High School DxD. Hell, I could go even lower if I wanted, School Days? HotD?
Liking PSG is fine and all, but a unique story is far from being its strong suit.
>>
>>160914562
>how come things are better when you put in more effort
hmmm
>>
>>160914562
If they put thought and effort into the visuals and took risks with a more unique look, they most likely did the same for the story. Conversely, if the art is generic and uninspired, the story will probably be the same.

Aside from those sort of correlations, usually if the style is interesting it's done specifically to reflect the content. It's purposeful, whereas a bland style indicates there's nothing in the writing that needs to be represented in the visuals.
>>
>>160915696
>>160915177
>>160915587
The laziness only works for adaptations of works that already set up a particular art style. Even then a studio can actively decide to abandon the original art-style though and go with something dramatically different (like Aku no Hana).
So you're all just memeing.
>>
>>160915948
>The laziness
*the laziness argument
>>
OP, please hang yourself.
>>
>>160914562
Because you trick yourself into believing a show is "good" just because it looks different.
>>
>>160915171
> In the states or europe every cartoon and animated film has its own unique style
Fucking hell, do you actually believe what you just said?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.