[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anime: Then and Now!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

Anime: Then and Now!
>>
>>160874970
>>
>>160874983
>>
>>160875001
>>
File: protags1.jpg (659KB, 2917x1233px) Image search: [Google]
protags1.jpg
659KB, 2917x1233px
>>160874970
>Anime: Then and Now!
this thread looks like it's about some magazine but i'll just leave this here
>>
>>160875022
>>
>>160875032
Old America article from 1995 about how anime fandom had changed in the last 10 years.
>>
>>160875051
>If you could live in your favorite anime universe, but could never return to your normal life, would you?
>76% yes
literally clamoring for isekai, we should have known
>>
>>160874983
>Other 53%
Does this means 53% were distributed in less than 5% across multiple shows? Because goddamn, that's pretty interesting, compared to how we look at entry-level anime today.
>>
File: 1492906127934.png (136KB, 273x397px) Image search: [Google]
1492906127934.png
136KB, 273x397px
>>160875051
>people were complaining how how "clean and hygienic" anime distribution had become in 1995 since it was on TV
Reminds me of those old usenet posts. Nothing ever changes.

>>160876476
It's possible it was a multiple choice thing, rather than a write-in, isn't it?
>>
>>160876476
That's what it seems to mean, though there seems to be a slight math error since the named shows add up to 53.8%.
>>
>>160876902
It's especially fun the read the clean and hygienic line while keeping in mind that Animerica ran advertisements for hentai.
>>
File: anime now and then.jpg (225KB, 999x1011px) Image search: [Google]
anime now and then.jpg
225KB, 999x1011px
>>
>>160875051
Holy shit, this just answered my years-old question of why they replaced "samurai" with "ronin," a lesser-known word, instead of the usual opposite approach.
>>
>>160876476
Theres no way in hell this list if accurate if Dragonball doesnt make 5% while Ranma scores almost 20%. Shin-Chan is another one of those shows that was really popular in the west around that time. If Ranma is sitting at 20%, a show that started in like 1989, than those two should AT LEAST make the list, and realistically be even higher.
>>
>>160877032
This is an American magazine, anon. Neither of those were officially released here yet.
>>
>>160877096
Wait a second, how come Ranma was released in the US but Dragonball, a show that ended prior to Ranma even starting, wasnt?
>>
>>160877143
You made me look it up, because that's actually weird as fuck and I never thought about it, and I found this.
>Harmony Gold USA licensed the series for an English-language release in North America in the late 1980s. In the voice dubbing of the series, Harmony Gold renamed almost all of the characters, including the protagonist Goku, who was renamed "Zero."[5] This dub consisting of 5 episodes and one movie (an 80-minute feature featuring footage of movies 1 and 3 edited together) was cancelled shortly after being test marketed in several US cities and was never broadcast to the general public, thus earning the fan-coined term "The Lost Dub."[6]

So as usual, Harmony Gold was fucking retarded. And based on how retarded they've been with the Macross IP, it was probably not easy to get the Dragonball rights away from them and try again properly.
>>
>>160877032
Read at the bottom, the questionnaire was conducted at a convention.

>>160877143
Harmony Gold picked up Dragon Ball in the late 80s but it was canceled during test marketing. Funimation picked it up in 1995 (the year this article is from) and did their own dub. You can actually see a reference to this here >>160875022 where they talk about Dragonball having been a difficult sell for American TV in the 80s but being just fine now due to cultural shifts making violent and obviously Asian stuff more marketable.
>>
>>160877201
Guess that explains this more or less weitd list that is missing boatloads of big titles. Licensing studios in the West, not even once.

>>160877225
>now due to cultural shifts making violent and obviously Asian stuff more marketable.
Thats actually a funny thing to say since I dont remember Macross, Ranma or Bubblegum Crisis to be particularly passive, yet they all make the list.
>>
>>160877251
Ranma and Bubblegum Crisis weren't on TV though. The violence part is probably not as big of a deal as they make of it, but I'd imagine they're right that the popularity of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at the time probably made getting broadcasters to buy obviously asian cartoons easier.
>>
>>160877201
Considering Dragonball is such a mammoth series today, I wonder where they fucked up.
>>
>>160878330
Because they probably massively changed the series' characters and story, like they did with most of the anime they licensed. I don't know why western anime companies in the 80's and 90's were so dead set against just translating and dubbing a series, the only time reworking a series completely worked was Robotech, and even then the original is still better.
>>
File: One tatsumaki.jpg (391KB, 2560x1107px) Image search: [Google]
One tatsumaki.jpg
391KB, 2560x1107px
>>
>>160875032
Are you saying that there is something worng with jojo?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.