[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was One Piece not as successful as Naruto in the west?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: naruto_luffy.jpg (171KB, 810x986px) Image search: [Google]
naruto_luffy.jpg
171KB, 810x986px
What was One Piece not as successful as Naruto in the west?
>>
Why*
>>
mostly 4kids
>>
>>160784908
Pirates are overdone in the west, while the whole water walking ninja shit wasn't.
>>
File: Op.gif (1MB, 260x200px) Image search: [Google]
Op.gif
1MB, 260x200px
>>160784908
Daily reminder that nothing in naruto will ever top Enies Lobby
>>
>>160784908
4kids. Also it isn't as easy for autistic children to self-insert into the One Piece world as it is for them to do so with Naruto
>>
File: 1000.png (787KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
1000.png
787KB, 1000x563px
>>160784908
Character designs are all over the place.
General vibe is goofy.
Story isnt really compelling at all.
Makes it very hard for me to take anything that happens seriously.

Honestly I'd say OP is the weakest of the shonen.
>>
>>160784908
ninjas are better than pirates
>>
>>160784908
That Arlong Park Arc where Luffy just pulls a win out of nowhere with no rhyme or reason behind it is sickening. Plus the standard One Piece reaction face with jutting eyes and gaping mouth is overused.
>>
>>160784908
>4kids
>had a strong Disney influence early on, reinforcing the kiddy image
>Naruto was an A class autism magnet
>also babby's first edge
>>
>suddenly random new anime ad comes on Cheese TV
>looks like some meh pirate ser--HOLY SHIT THAT OPENING
>get super into it
>start Googling One Piece, reading the manga, etc
>read about the absurd ridiculous changes 4kids made
>4kids stops dubbing the series and the show becomes dead for a while
It's still popular in the West but its dubbed anime status really fucked it over.
>>
There were no good FITES kids like FITES

Though if the Funimation dub premiered on toonami originally I think it would have done better.
>>
>>160787403
I would like to write about that whole ordeal someday. It sandbagged the entry of one of the biggest franchises in anime into the American market, ruined 4kids' reputation, and eventually led to the company's demise. What's more, it was thrown in as an extra in a package deal they were licensing and they only said okay because they didn't do their due diligence, they didn't even intend to license it in the first place. I once read that they only realized what a mistake they had made at the Baratie arc, where they were spending twice the intended budget per episode to do all the edits, it's part of the reason they cut filler episodes.
>>
If you like either you need to leave /a/ and kill yourself.
>>
>>160784908
Both are cancerous trash, to be honest.
>>
>>160784908
It's not edgy enough for the American audience. It is also very silly and goofy. Not serious.
>>
>>160787403
Even if it had aired originally with the FUNi dub, it wouldn't have got on. See >>160788347
>>
One piece and naruto are trash if you like either you kill yourself,both are trash and donĀ“t matter your opinion,both are trash,sasukeedgelord and character design of one piece are the worst from these animes.
>>
>>160784908
because 1 piece sucks and naruto only sucks after the first three arcs
>>
One Piece is too happy for America.

Meanwhile, Naruto, Bleach and even Death Note were gold mine for the Hot Topic audience
>>
>>160784908

I haven't watched One Piece and never will. The art in my opinion is atrocious and doesn't look like the plot is serious, looks goofy. I like battle shounen to have a serious plot.

Most of the people I talk about anime with that haven't watched One Piece, feel the same way about it as I explained above.
>>
File: TOP.jpg (705KB, 2212x1257px) Image search: [Google]
TOP.jpg
705KB, 2212x1257px
>>160784908
I liked One Piece but its so fucking childish now. And there's only so many times a crying women can make a scene emotional.
>>
>>160789515
>Childish
It seems childish if you are a pleb.
Right now it's featuring a giant autistic woman who cannibalized an orphanage full of children in an autistic rage.
>>
File: To this.jpg (267KB, 1145x1145px) Image search: [Google]
To this.jpg
267KB, 1145x1145px
>>160789777
>It seems childish if you are a pleb
>>
>>160786413
This. One Piece is, straight up, a kids' show. And luffy is a total clown of an MC. He's stupid like Goku, but Goku is awesome and get his serious face quite often.

Teenagers and pre-teens like edgy stuff. And Naruto has that (specially with Sasuke hanging around, spitting fire and mumbling he's an AVENGER).
>>
4kids
Even in latin america 4kids destroyed any hope of one piece making it big.
>>
The humor is very japanese
>>
>>160790080
The dub in Latin America was pretty good. It even fixed some mispronunciations that the US made.

>Zoro is Zoro again, instead of SOLO like in the US
>>
>>160790204
The dub wasn't the problem, it was the retarded censoring and cuts made to it.
>>
4kids dubbing it at first which resulted in the absolute WORST first impression it could've had coupled with the death of toonami. Only Naruto seemed to keep on chugging after they stopped toonami, but it did well.

Then when toonami returned and one piece came back, they started it with episode 207 instead of starting at the beginning, so new viewers were just not gonna follow it. old viewers stick to pirating and dvds because its leagues ahead. it also aired too late. incidentally, those last two reasons are also why naruto shippuden is kinda suffering right now. dvds take forever to come out, but the dub on toonami is still hopelessly behind.
>>
Oda is a hack.
>>
File: Orochimaru117.jpg (48KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Orochimaru117.jpg
48KB, 800x600px
>>160784908
I love One Piece more than Naruto, but Naruto had way superior bad guys, at least before they all got their gay redemption arcs.
>>
>>160789777
Not him, but Wan Piss is indeed childish. Even more so than Fairy Tail.
>>
>>160785443
sasuke retrieval arc is certainly close to it in quality, it just doesn't last nearly as long, especially if u count water 7 as part of that arc as i would.
>>
>>160784908
Cutthroat Island utterly obliterated pirate movies for quite some time back in the 90s with the only movies after that being Muppets Treasure Island and Treasure Island - both kid's movies - until Pirates of the Caribean came out. And whilst the first PotC did a lot to fix what Cutthroat Island destroyed, it quickly lost its glamour with the sequels. Depp also a huge string of flops and personal life drama which tainted the franchise.

One Piece just came around at a bad time for the west. Having it being dubbed by 4Kids first just sealed the deal for it to become forgettable.

Naruto had better luck. Ninja stuff has always been popular, so it also had a lot more nostalgic promise behind it with adults checking it out and encouraging their kids to watch.
>>
>>160790430
I meant Treasure Planet from Disney, whoops.
>>
File: 546.jpg (98KB, 244x335px) Image search: [Google]
546.jpg
98KB, 244x335px
>>160784908
Most likely 4Kids, it neutered the anime and ruined many scenes at the beginning, making the series look like a harmless kids show and losing all of the seriousness in the original.

It also didn't help that the voice acting direction was bad, the music replacement was bad and the censorship was laughable.
>>
>>160784908
not enough AMVs?
>>
>>160789925
>Cake wow how childish
proving your plebeishness rn anon
>>160790306
>Muh tits makes it mature
Plebeller detected.
>>
>>160785443
Thats the thing I never understood about One Piecce, when we got Luffy vs. Lucci it pretty much felt like the series was finally going to lift off, but for some reason it just declines into shit.The Summit war arc is a perfect example of this shit, they poke ass for like 10 episodes straight and its just luffy running to Ace.
>>
>>160787776
Holy shit, that's stupid as fuck. They actually spent lots of money to make the anime worse?
>>
>>160787403
The West is not just USA
>>
>>160784908
Kids like ninjas.
>>
>>160784908
It's not as interesting.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.