[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did /a/ react when this first aired?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4458.png (2MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4458.png
2MB, 1440x1080px
How did /a/ react when this first aired?
>>
>>160728634
Googoo gaga?
>>
i wasnt around but ill ask my grandfather what he thought.
>>
>>160728634
>when it first aired

Ask /a/'s parents.
>>
>>160728634
COOOL!
>>
I remember /a/ back then. We didn't surf the web on personal computers, but had only Commodore 64 to use internet on. 4chan had just started up a couple of years earlier. The 90s were the shit man. And when that scene came, /a/ totally exploded. We couldn't have more than fifteen threads at a time, but a thread didn't even last 30 seconds before it died. It was chaos man, real chaos.
>>
>Be an American watching UK Cartoon Network in Germany
>"Dragon Ball Z coming up next!"
>get excited of this new awesome looking cartoon
>shows another show altogether

And that channel kept trolling me
>>
>>160728634

i get the joke. in my case back when i watched it as a kid, I cant say i was shocked, but it was unexpected.
>>
>>160732530
Moot, having just been born a couple of months before, used his umbilical cord to highen the bandwidth of his servers. Having made 4chan his first months, banned all my little pony threads the second month, and made all memes the third month, he thought he was well prepared for this moment. He was not prepared.
>>
>>160728634
I wouldn't know, considering I didn't even learn about the internet until a year after it aired.
>>
>>160728634
The dub aired in 1997, so most of /a/ was 5-10 years old.
>>
>>160732837
Was literally born that year
>>
>>160732878
Are you even allowed to be here, this site is 18 years and..
Oh. Shit.
>>
>>160732878
Seeing how most Superfags are underages/18-24, I can believe it.
>>
I had watched DB for like 2 eps so didnt care
>>
>>160728634
Sure as fuck didn't care. Back then even I realized that with the dragonballs out there, any death lacks significant meaning.
>>
>>160732837
I watched it, i was around 15 back then
>>
>>160732530
>>160732733
/a/ wasn't around then, idiots.
>>
>>160733852
>thatsthejokedotjpeg
>>
>implying I remember my reaction from anime I watched like 14 years ago
>>
>>160728634
I actually first saw Z when I was 7, halfway through the Freeza saga.
I remembered having watched the beginning of Dragon Ball when I was 4, and was dumbfounded that there was a sequel.
Needless to say, I was very confused.
>>
>>160728634
>first time ever saw dragon ball z
>4 years old
>scrolling channels
>see cartoons
>middle of a fight
>piccolo's arm gets fucking blown off
>i am horrified
>it fucking grew back

dropped it for a few years
>>
>>160728634
/a/ wasn't around for the US first release 20 years ago. Hell, moot wasn't even born yet.
>>
>>160728634
>Ohhhh, now they gotta go find the dragonballs!

I'm not even joking, that was legit my thought on the matter, I brushed it off like it was nothing and then just went right on to expecting hijinks as they found the balls because I was more used to early Dragon Ball, and since I knew they could bring him back I was actually disappointed when they said he would come back later, because it meant they weren't going to go do adventures.

In hindsight, it was a pretty fucked up moment, but was 100 percent valid.
>>
>>160728634
The OP was catchy
The energy beams were new to my eyes
It was something I didn't wanna miss.
>>
>>160732837
I was 4 years old, holy shit
>>
>>160728634
Hyped. As an adult, I'm still baffled at why Raditz is portrayed as a weakling when he gave both Goku and Piccolo a hard time. Despite having a higher power level, Nappa could've been killed either by Tien's Tri Beam or Krillin's Destructo Disc out of his own arrogance.
>>
>>160732837
>5-10 years old

By the quality of these posts I'd hope most of /a/ wasn't born yet
>>
>>160733852
>he never went on alt.tv.japanimation
>>
>>160734419
>watching dragonball Z with friend
>even as a kid i knew the english dub sounded shitty
>episode with green man and floating platform, had no idea what the fuck was going on
>fights were just blinking in in out so meh
>didnt have cable so never watched it
watched DB and DBZ years later as a 20 year old, one of my favorite anime now and my favorite manga
>>
>>160728634
I was pissed. Why did they let the green sub-human kill off someone as cool as Raditz?
>>
>>160728634
I watched on Cartoon Network, Piccolo losing a arm fans them this told me this a great.
>>
>>160728634

>they are just gonna use the dragon balls to revive him anyways
>they do

this is why DB was never exciting to me.
>>
>>160728647
fpbp
>>
I was pretty shock actually, not only did Goku who I never expected to die died but piccolo his worst enemy up until that point killed him.
>>
>HOLY SHIT THIS CARROT DUDE HAS A HOLE IN HIM
>>
I can still remember somehow not because of the anime
>7 years old
>just finished DB Goku as a kid
>loved it
>the channel starts with DBZ
>I'm excited, but mom doesn't like it because of cousin #3
>cousin #3 comes to visit because of work
>he was there at the time as a kid watching DBZ first aired in my country
>I was hyped because of AMV with linking park sogs at background
>cousin is high on drugs that specific day
>drugs hit hard
>scene appear s
>cousin start screaming the opening cracking his voice
>punch the tv with his bare hands
>tv was stronger
>old cousin is crying on the floor telling me that goku dies on that episode
well he fucked everything since then
>>
In 1990-ish? Awesome. I even watched it through an English dub in the Philippines.

We started with Z. Didn't know what the deal Goku had with Piccolo but followed it nonetheless.

Then they showed Dragon Ball.
>>
>>160728634
love
>>
When did US DBZ aired?

I remember first watching it in the early 90s. I was like 4.

I even remember watching GT back when it came out. Such a disappointment.
>>
>>160728634
Watched the Englsih dub in the 90s. Since we started with Z it was kinda shocking how the main character died so early, its part of what hooked me. Also of course, we never actually saw that image because of the censorship.
>>
My first experience with Dragonball was the third game for the famicom, which was already at the cell arc. I don't know how my relatives managed to get it to work on a nes, but they did. They didn't understand shit and relied on a lot of trial and error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOh8583s350

As a result, my opinion of the franchise was infinitely better. I couldn't stand watching the shitty tv series.
>>
>>160744921
First started airing in 96
>>
>>160734431
He's almost 30
>>
>>160741325
Bitch thought he could fight a saiyan
>>
>>160728634
Any drama and shock I would've had was ruined by the simple fact they didn't fucking air Dragon Ball in any of the channels I had, quite possibly even the entirety, of the US so strictly speaking I just saw a guy get killed after knowing him for several episodes.
>>
>>160728634
I remember being hyped as fuck about DBZ after watching DB.
>Goku has a son!
>Goku has a brother!
>Goku is an alien?
>Piccolo teams up with Goku!
>Goku is dead?!
>>
>>160728759
what
>>
>>160728759
just how old are you?
>>
>>160728634
NOOOOOOOOOO RADITZ!
>>
I had watched a majority of dragon ball when I lived in mexico, so I knew about the dragon balls but I was still shocked to see them kill Goku off. Just gave me a sense of loss in the sense that we wouldn't see Goku for a while until he was revived.
>>
I was pretty shocked, in my mind cartoons (never even heard of anime back then) did not have or show people being violently wounded. People occasionally died but it was rare as fuck. Admittedly, dying doesn't real much of anything in DBZ. When I saw Piccolo having his arm torn off though...
>>
I didn't because I already knew that would happen. The local library started stocking Dragonball before Cartoon Network started broadcasting Dragonball.
>>
When I first witnessed this scene I was like 7 years old. This was so hype but I couldn't believe Goku fucking died.
>>
>>160728634
I never watched that episode until after high school.

I did read the manga when I was 8 (in the late 90s), and was shocked that Goku, the guy that fought Vegeta, Ginyu, and soon Freeza, got killed early on.
>>
>>160728634
"Mommy I ga go poddy!"
>>
Does anybody remember when they first watched the Cell saga on Toonami?

God, it was so badass seeing Gohan fight Cell!
>>
>>160749985
The dub soundtrack was definitely something. All of Cell's themes in general made were pretty damn good.
>>
File: kill_everyone_in_this_thread.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
kill_everyone_in_this_thread.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>160728634
>>
>>160732837
I was born in 1996, I watched the episode in like 2000.
>>
>>160728634
I was like 7 and this was my first episode of DBZ. Didn't get the significance of goku sacrificing himself because I didn't know that he was the main character and actually assumed that big green was the bad guy a first. It was be like another 5 years before I saw the one or two episodes before this.
>>
>>160732837
>>160732878
>>160735413
>>160736745
>>160751951
fucking newfags
>>
Is it true that Japan freaked out hard and like people stopped going to work and kids skipped school when future Trunks appeared and one shot Freeza?
>>
>>160728647
my sides
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.