[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your opinion on TL Notes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

File: 1481132953616.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481132953616.png
1MB, 1280x720px
What is your opinion on TL Notes?
>>
Okay in books, when kept to a minimum.
Shit in animated media.
>>
I translate some manga and doujins here and there and TL notes annoy the shit out of me because 99% of the time it just means the translator is lazy or bad at what they do. The remaining 1% of TL notes should be really short or put at the end of the chapter or in release notes on whatever blog you're distributing from. TL notes should definitely never be put in an animated medium.
>>
all according to keikaku
>>
File: eww gross.jpg (63KB, 518x850px) Image search: [Google]
eww gross.jpg
63KB, 518x850px
They have their place
>>
Insanely distracting. If you're going to use them at least put that shit on a separate subs track.
>>
Sometimes okay to explain a term if the translation doesn't convey the connotation well, never okay if the translator uses them to express his opinion
>>
No general opinion. If I personally think the translation doesn't need it or could've easily worked without it, then fuck them. If it's shikataganai, then whatever.
>>
>>160547994
>never okay if the translator uses them to express his opinion

This.

I saw this shit in the latest chapter of Okusan and it was pure fucking cancer, since they did it practically at the climax of the chapter.
>>
>>160545206
They can be useful in manga or light novels.
But shit tier in anime, you're not supossed to pause whatever you're watching for reading something that could have been very well translated in the subs.
Imagine going to the cinema and having a TL note appear in the middle of the movie
>>
>>160545716
How do you let people know what "keikaku" means then?
>>
>>160548236
Translate it?
>>
>>160548234
>Imagine going to the cinema and having a TL note appear in the middle of the movie
I take it you haven't seen Kimi no na wa in theaters then. Not that I'm defending it.
>>
I don't mind them unless they're completely retarded.
>>
>>160548260
What happened there? I'm quite curious; I don't think I've heard this story.
>>
Translator's notes are never necessary, sometimes helpful, and sometimes detrimental.
>>
>>160545206
>What is your opinion on TL Notes?
Frankly they're a lost artform and I think newer anime fans are going to have worse understandings of anime as a whole with their fall in popularity. I owe a lot to TL notes for helping me understand common words, phrases, references and jokes I might not have picked up on otherwise. Seeing them in one anime helps understanding in another. Not to mention their function in choosing one set of subs over another, admittedly a lesser issue these days.

>inb4 "just google it"
If pausing in the middle of an episode to read something at the top of the screen is disruptive then pausing, opening a browser, and sorting through results that don't take any context into account or my be inaccurate is even more so.
>>
>>160548260
It hasn't opened in my country yet.
What happened?
>>
>>160548335
There was a TL note explaining "tasokare" meaning "twilight" and it also meaning "tasogare-doki" or something. There were also a few stuff that were just put into parentheses like "I (watashi) am" without much explanation, if I remember correctly. I assume the official BD subs are the same as they were in theaters so you can just look for yourself.
>>
>>160545206
Horrible if used to just make comments like in your example.

Great for actually leaving a note of translation, particularly for attack names. Like "tn: Getsugatenshou means Moon Fang Heaven-Piercer", because translating the attack name every time a character shouts it is retarded, as referring to the attack itself is the intention, rather than focusing on its etymology.
>>
>>160548335
Not that anon, but they're probably talking about this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oaYvQg9MCY
I don't recall if they had those parentheticals in the theater showing that I went to, but I think they did. It's a joke that you can't translate into English: you can only explain it, or hope that they person watching knows enough about Japanese to get it.
>>
Fansubbing is fun.
It's a shame it's disappearing slowly.
TL notes was a great part of some earlier anime. Really makes you appreciate the time put into them.
>>
>>160545206
Depends on the TL note.
>>
>>160548766
Shut the fuck up retard
>>
>>160548635
I refuse to watch the film, which is why I asked in stead of looking through it myself.

That "(watashi)" bit sounds dangerously close to the translation works of TV-Nihon or whatever.
>>
File: 09_061.jpg (261KB, 777x1200px) Image search: [Google]
09_061.jpg
261KB, 777x1200px
>>160548739
Ah, that makes significantly more sense, then. I had thought that he'd meant that they'd consistently put "watashi" in parentheses throughout the movie; that'd be a very different can of worms.

Yes, in cases like that, it's very important to include some form of explanation.

That puts me in mind of a particular case which has haunted me for a considerable amount of time: how can one appropriately and gracefully translate the bottom panel of this page? It's sarcasm, but it's sarcasm in the form of a pronoun, appended by an honorific change. We released the page with the text simply reading as "kami-tama", with no TNs or other explanations given, but the apparent lack of an absence of a proper alternative has stuck in my mind for a long time. A TN which would fully explain the 'joke' would be exceedingly long, and there is not any possible localization in this instance. What would someone more 'professional' do, here, I wonder?
>>
File: Screenshot_2014-12-28-06-08-30.png (1MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2014-12-28-06-08-30.png
1MB, 1280x800px
>>
>>160545206
Only fine when attempting to make sense of a Japanese phrase that commonly mistranslated into English.

I believe for example, that a note should be given context to the phrase "So that's how it is" since translators always translate this phrase that means "I get it it" to something that in english is used as an aggressive quip.
>>
>>160549302
This are the kind of TNs are kind of annoying to see.

Using the phrase "Oh, so there are hot springs in here!" would´ve make perfect sense anyways.
>>
File: complicated.png (304KB, 387x534px) Image search: [Google]
complicated.png
304KB, 387x534px
>>160549255
I have no experience in translating, so take my advice as you will.

You could either:
A. Translate it non-literally, finding a similar way of sarcastically addressing someone in English, but at the cost of losing some of the original meaning.
B. If the TN really would be prohibitively large, put the note on a blank page (possibly at the end of the chapter).

Those are just the solutions that I have come to expect over time. Personally, I feel that B is the best solution: better than not having a TN at all and leaving the section untranslated and unexplained.
>>
>>160549505
My exact thoughts.
>>
File: 2ec.png (208KB, 327x316px) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
208KB, 327x316px
>>160547662
Everytime
>>
TL: Moo mean moo
>>
Whitepod
>>
File: best TL note ever.jpg (48KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
best TL note ever.jpg
48KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>160549255
Mister God might work.
It conveys that he's mocking him with child-speak.
>>
File: tlnote.png (185KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
tlnote.png
185KB, 600x400px
>>
>>160545206
Fucking awful for stupid comments like the OP image.

Other than that, it's great for japanese phrases, wordplay, or things that don't really have a proper english translation. When it comes to wordplay jokes, even if I can't appreciate the humor fully I'd just like to be aware that it's supposed to be a joke that I just can't understand rather than making some nonsensical translation that just ends up being confusing like Gabriel Dropout's whole kitchen sink bullshit.
>>
>>160545772
But what does "keikaku" mean? I need a TL for this one
>>
>>160553427
Note : keikaku means plan.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.