[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On reality and escapism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: illusion.png (53KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
illusion.png
53KB, 480x640px
I get the impression that anime and manga are often consumed by people who are dissatisfied with their life or reality in general.
Sometimes even wishing that the laws of physics were less restrictive.
It is not uncommon to see some anon lamenting the non-reality of a character (or his waifu), for example.

But how widespread is this dissatisfaction?
Do you wish reality was different; more eventful/adventurous/fantastical?
What do you believe that our reality is? (Do you think fictional worlds could be real?)

I apologize for this being a meta-thread of sorts, but I am curious as to what people here think about these things.
>>
>>160498241
>reddit spacing retard
fuck off
>>
>>160498390
I don't even browse reddit. Why so hostile?
>>
>>160498241
Life should be like a high fantasy RPG.
>>
>>160498241
>I get the impression that anime and manga are often consumed by people who are dissatisfied with their life or reality in general.
Anons are small minority of people who consume anime and manga.
Waifuists are small minority of anons.

That's the biggest fallacy in your post.

And to answer your questions:
>But how widespread is this dissatisfaction?
The only thing I'm dissatisfied about is that my waifu is not real. Everything else, friends, job, education, entertainment is pretty satisfying for me.
>Do you wish reality was different; more eventful/adventurous/fantastical?
Only that she was real, everything else is fine.
>What do you believe that our reality is? (Do you think fictional worlds could be real?)
Everything physical. Fictional worlds exist but they aren't physical. They are mere concepts, ideas that doesn't have physical manifestation, just like current physical laws, mathematics, science, any fiction, etc.
>>
Lurk before posting, faggot.
>>
>>160498241
Thing is, artists --especially excellent ones-- and other creative types are fundamentally dissatisfied with reality in some fashion. It is this dissatisfaction that leads to people creating art. Anons like me who are fine with reality or have learned to accept it, thorns and all do not have the drive to make art.

Art is a medium for stories. And a way to express how we want things to be changed.
>>
File: 1498220347520.jpg (108KB, 824x579px) Image search: [Google]
1498220347520.jpg
108KB, 824x579px
>>160498241
>>
>>160498241
>people who are dissatisfied with their life or reality in general
That's so common among the younger generations in the western world it would be surprising if people watching anime wouldn't also fall into thhat group.
>>
File: 1453452958444.jpg (390KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1453452958444.jpg
390KB, 1280x720px
>>160498241
The greatest illusion is reality.
The greatest lie is the truth.
>>
>>160499155
>>160500282
Yeah, I realize I should probably not have made this thread. But having just finished reading a series left me feeling empty inside. I kinda just wanted to hear how people cope with returning to reality without being too direct about it. Not trying to tip any fedoras
>>
>>160498390
>actual retard
Fuck off.
>>
>>160500504
If thats all you wanted then thats probably how you shouldve started the thread. Whenever I finish a series and get that feeling, I just try interacting with people. Call family or just try and start small talk with strangers. It sounds stupid but it helps.
>>
>>160498241
I understand completely. The world is really boring, really really boring. Work and work until you die. Everything is fair, but 'just' is not fair. Entropy spinning down energy dense centres into an empty warm soup. Common existential dread. But if I keep living I increase my chance of finding something interesting. So I just keep living. Life extension is perhaps the most important thing. Some day perfect simulations will exist, then we can live in hedonistic and perfectly fulfilling recreations of our ideal worlds.
>>
>>160498241
My dream is to become a shota and be raped by faceless sweaty old men
>>
>>160500741
Unfortunately, my family doesn't want to speak to me. Those few friends I have with similar interests have also been shafted by life in some way or other, and so aren't too helpful in reminding me that things will be fine in the end. It seems pretty common to people with this hobby. Why?

>>160500929
>Some day perfect simulations will exist, then we can live in hedonistic and perfectly fulfilling recreations of our ideal worlds.
So I wish as well. But somehow I doubt technology can take us that far in the end.
>>
>>160499064
nice post, i would suck your cock
>>
>>160498241
Mewt's mom is pretty hot.
>>
>>160498241
>>>/v/
>>
File: 1479729162192.png (963KB, 878x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479729162192.png
963KB, 878x1080px
>>160498241
I don't feel empty or lost when finishing a series, because I generally consume media to learn. Even in the outrageous of mediums, you can find someone pretty interesting ideas to think about.
Similarly, how can I possibly be dissatisfied with reality if there are an infinite amount of things to learn about?
>>
>>160502804
>Even in the outrageous of mediums
most outrageous*
>someone
something*

Fuck proofreading before posting
>>
File: 1483076656611.jpg (111KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483076656611.jpg
111KB, 1280x720px
>>160498241
I often get that feeling that OP is a huge faggpt.
>>
>>160500504
The only cure for PADs is start watching new anime. It's normal for everyone and every fiction. Have you ever heard about people committing suicides after watching Avatar? That's exactly same thing.

>>160502264
My cock belongs only to my waifu, sorry.
>>
>>160502088
>somehow I doubt technology can take us that far in the end
What's to doubt? Your entire subjective experience is whatever is relayed to your senses. You have nor ground truth, so a perfect simulation across all your senses will be indistinguishable from reality. And although for some reason there is controversy around AI, it's not as though consciousness is some magical thing. You should look into more recent neurological studies, the gap between the micro and macro functions of the brain gets smaller and smaller every day.

General purpose AI will exist, and technology to perfectly trick your sense will exist. That's all that's required.
>>
>>160498241
Dissatisfaction comes from within, as does happiness as well. People look to entertainment, such as anime and video games, or other forms of sensory input to satisfy their desires. Such is placing your mind on the material world, so of course these people are going to be very dissatisfied with life.

As for me, I watch anime because I love it as a medium of art and storytelling.
>>
File: 1464350602024.png (80KB, 318x470px) Image search: [Google]
1464350602024.png
80KB, 318x470px
>>160498241
Only came here to shit on all escapist fucks
>>
Lovecraft's The Silver Key conveys these kind of feelings pretty nicely
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.