[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did somebody say goblins? Did somebody said rape?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

File: alastordevilmarycry.jpg (40KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
alastordevilmarycry.jpg
40KB, 225x350px
Did somebody say goblins?

Did somebody said rape?
>>
twink
>>
It's really weird. With cars, people would usually look up some real ones before drawing one.
With horses (and unicorns), people would usually google some real horses first.
There are gun fetishists who will go to great lengths to depict the weaponry as correctly as possible. In effect most mainstream media feature somewhat realistic looking guns. (this is excluding scifi weapons)
But with medieval weaponry and armor, the only inspiration that people seem to draw from is other people's uneducated drawings. What's with this disconnect?
>>
>>160486790
>But with medieval weaponry and armor, the only inspiration that people seem to draw from is other people's uneducated drawings.
People look up historical weapons and armor, if they make historical manga.
If they make scifi shit, they obviously don't put accuracy on real life cars and planes.
>>
>>160486790
Because swords are easy to make look different. With cars, you can only take so many creative liberties until it stops being a car, same with guns and living creatures, but swords are swords so long as you slap some metal on a stick. It's a cheap way of making a design look flashier and more original.
>>
>>160486926
That's only if you disregard the functionality of the sword.

>>160486885
Scifi is speculative fiction. It's arguably the hardest thing to do, unless you just handwave things.
As for your other point, I can't judge that because I haven't read a whole lot of historical medieval manga yet, other than Vinland Saga.
>>
File: 60331940_p0.png (2MB, 840x1120px) Image search: [Google]
60331940_p0.png
2MB, 840x1120px
>>160486425
No.
>>
>>160487018
>As for your other point, I can't judge that because I haven't read a whole lot of historical medieval manga yet, other than Vinland Saga.
Doesn't really matter how many historical manga you already read.
Fact is Fantasy is suppose to look more heroic than real life, so if course the weapons and armor have more ridiculous proportions to show the characters are normies, but badass dudes.
That's being said Mound & Blade manga, never
>>
>>160487145
>if course the weapons and armor have more ridiculous proportions to show the characters are normies, but badass dudes
I really doubt that it's an intentional design choice. To me it looks like a lack of knowledge. Which can be translated to a lack of care.
>>
>>160487202
not him but go look at guts' "sword" for 5 seconds and explain to me how anything about it isn't intentional design choice
>>
>>160486790
Medieval weapons and armor haven't been relevant in real life for centuries. Cars, horses, and guns are commonly used in real life today, so their enthusiasts have experience with the real stuff and the manga versions can be cool through association with real cool stuff. When dressing up in medieval armor is relegated to Renaissance fairs, the manga version has to do something different and more extreme to be cool.

>>160487018
Real swords varied immensely and were still functional. However, real guns vary just as much, so he's only right about cars and horses.
>>
File: 1501314609156.jpg (46KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1501314609156.jpg
46KB, 480x480px
>>160488196
Guts' sword is an extreme example. It's obviously meant to be unrealistic. One could point to half a dozen hard problems with its design, but ultimately it's a big piece of metal with a grip, which works to underline a point about Guts.
However the same comic also contains dumb helmets like pic related, which is just an all around bad idea. Try to explain to me how that's anything other than lack of care for an admittedly one-off character that would never appear again.
>>
>>160488418
>Real swords varied immensely
Not as much as you think. Other than man-sized two-handed swords, they had a relatively narrow range of weight. The guards would never become as big as fictional ones often tend to. Their grips were not arbitrarily long. Their blades were not as thick as fantasy depictions like to portray them.
>>
>>160488539
You can just go to a museum and look at all the different swords instead of assuming they're all similar.
>>
Do these guards all look tiny and the same to you?
>>
>>160488786
Which point would you like to disagree with? The different shapes of the swords that you've posted follow their function, and I promise you that all the one-handed examples fall roughly into the 2-3 pound spectrum.
>>
>>160488813
Strawman. I never said either of those things. I suggest you learn to read.
>>
>>160488834
>>160488881
You're doing the equivalent of claiming pickup trucks are cars because they have 4 wheels and fit in a garage. I suggest you stop throwing a tantrum when you get proven wrong by a simple google image search.
>>
File: 1478999942566.jpg (90KB, 600x436px) Image search: [Google]
1478999942566.jpg
90KB, 600x436px
>>160489010
It's not my fault you have trouble following the conversation.
Here, try to find a real guard on the scale of this. More pictures to follow.
>>
File: 1482106090245.jpg (6KB, 236x337px) Image search: [Google]
1482106090245.jpg
6KB, 236x337px
>>160489038
>>
File: 1489198229063.jpg (5KB, 191x263px) Image search: [Google]
1489198229063.jpg
5KB, 191x263px
>>160489069
>>
>>160488786
rapier is the thinking man sword.
>>
>>160489289
Most people underestimate how much strength is needed to use a rapier properly.
>>
>>160486790
>But with medieval weaponry and armor, the only inspiration that people seem to draw from is other people's uneducated drawings. What's with this disconnect?
It's Fantasy.
>>
>>160486425
There should be a fictional character that is like GS but for NTR instead. He travels to multiple dimensions killing faggots that NTR women of other man because he himself got NTRed in the past.
>>
File: scottish-broad-sword.jpg (62KB, 600x361px) Image search: [Google]
scottish-broad-sword.jpg
62KB, 600x361px
>>160489038
Here you go. That was easy. Your examples are very similar to standard guards with a ton of decorations thrown on, but this one has a fundamentally different design.
>>
>>160489361
>Here you go.
Wrong. That guard is barely 3 mm thick. It is not nearly on the same level of weight.
Try again.
>>
>>160489393
>moving goalposts
you're trying way to hard to seem smart to the point that you just look like an ass
>>
>>160489433
Are you being stupid on purpose?
A fictional guard that weighs as much as an entire functional sword weighs is not the same as a thin basket hilt.
>>
>>160489338
>It's Fantasy.
This anon is correct.
>>160488457 needs stop being a prissy elitist, there is media that is made to be historically accurate, and media that is made to be fantasy.
Dark Souls would be dreadfully boring if it were historically accurate armor.
>>
>>160489393
>weight
You're trying to move the goalposts but doing a pretty bad job of it. The skull on >>160489038 can be hollow, and the other two don't have that much extra bulk. Your own examples don't cut it.

But to put the goalposts back where they belong, we're talking about variety of design, not simple numerical weight. You're just shitposting now, so there's no point in replying to your nonsense again.
>>
>>160488457
>unconventional overly protective armor
>shit at fighting
>gets utterly jobbed

I think it was to show that knights are just rich kids who get over confident because they can afford armor
>>
>>160486790
>What's with this disconnect?
Rule of cool, anon.
>>
>>160489479
Using weight as a comparison is fucking stupid on a magical fantasy sword. He found a guard that was the same size and now you're bringing the weight of magical weapons into the argument. You're a god damn idiot huh.
>>
>>160489623
The skull might be hollow, but the solid piece of metal underneath it better not be, because that would seriously undermine the sword's stability.

>the other two don't have that much extra bulk.
They have too much.

>we're talking about variety of design,
No, we are not. This post chain was in response to somebody disagreeing with the statement that fictional guards are often too big.
>>
>>160489681
>I think it was to show that knights are just rich kids who get over confident because they can afford armor
Not anon and I don't want to defend his sissyfit, but not really. We have seen a lot of fighter that are pretty good with retarded armor and weapons.
Anons example is even one of the more realistic versions, compared to other.
>>
>>160489735
>He found a guard that was the same size
Why not go further? If you don't care about enclosed empty air and just go with full volume, then the broadsword has a guard that is much larger than the fictional ones. Obviously that's nonsense.
Either you accept that the amount of metal was being discussed or your argument loses its point.
>>
>>160489681
>overly protective
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.