[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This anime would be incredibly mediocre if it was standalone;

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: diebuster.png (207KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
diebuster.png
207KB, 300x300px
This anime would be incredibly mediocre if it was standalone; however, the fact that it builds off of and subverts so many expectations from its predecessor makes it legitimately a marvelous work and perhaps GAINAX's best.
>>
k
>>
I completly agree.
It's pretty unique and interesting in that aspect.
>>
>>160403893
>the state of /a/
>>
It's still very mediocre. First four episodes are alright and then it goes off the rails into garbage hood for 5 and 6. Everyone sucks 6 off because "muh hype" but it's literally just a bunch of explosions and tie-ins to Gunbuster attached to an incoherent plot and characters that range from "barely any character" to unlikable.
>>
>>160403646
You're probably right, yeah. The ending itself only works because of the previous work, and it blows you away twice as hard because of that.
>>
File: 1476311413192.jpg (140KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1476311413192.jpg
140KB, 1440x900px
>>160410407
I'm kind of torn on this. The ending is fantastic, and I love it, but I can't decide if the show would still be good without it. Like the OP asks, just how good would this anime be without Gunbuster?
>>
My biggest issue with it is that it feels more like a sequel to FLCL than Gunbuster.
>>
>>160411815
I was initially unsure of the art style but had seen TTGL and part of FLCL so I didn't think it was that weird, just modern GAINAX. I think the use of art style change to mask the twist of the true enemy was really fuck novel though.
>>
I think it's basically fantastic on its own.
>>
>>160412464
It's great if you're coming in from Gunbuster. But if you haven't seen Gunbuster you'll be confused on a lot of things.
>>
>>160403646
meh i guess
>>
>>160411773
It's the second half of Gunbuster, so it depending on Gunbuster doesn't really count against it. Usually the problem with a sequel depending on its predecessor is because it brings nothing to the table itself, but Diebuster clearly adds to Gunbuster instead of just leaning on it.
>>
Gunbuster is horribly, horribly written and only enjoyable because everything else is good enough to distract you from that

Diebuster was written by Enokido in his prime and is held back hugely by its connection to GB's dog shit story
>>
>>160417392
>Gunbuster is horribly, horribly written
It has a simple story, not a horrible one. Its honestly about the only Anno work I enjoy.
>>
>>160403646
The only good thing about diebuster are ED and OP. The only good this about gunbuster is the art of the last 2.5 eps. Both are ultimately trash.
>>
>>160403646
>This anime would be incredibly mediocre if it was standalone
Dumbest shit I've read all day. Diebuster is just a good anime. Fuck off.
>>
>>160419254
Try reading the rest of the post, dumbass.
>>
>>160419508
May have come off a little too harsh but how would it being standalone make it mediocre? I dig the way it ties into Gunbuster but it had a solid foundation and was fun to watch on almost entirely it's own merit,
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.