[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good characters in Bad Shows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Accelerator (1).png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Accelerator (1).png
1MB, 1280x720px
When is he getting his own anime?
>>
File: IMG_1517.jpg (220KB, 630x940px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1517.jpg
220KB, 630x940px
>>160372454
His manga is mediocre and still not enough material for anime adaption.
>>
>>160372562
I'd still be better than Railgun
>>
>>160372703
Yep, It's still better than current railgun arc which was just ended.
>>
>>160372454
Railgun S doesn't count?
>>
>>160372562
The art is so fucking bad in this
>>
>>160372454
>Sisters arc for the nth time

Please no.
>>
>>160373714
Well, Accel has his own manga, anon which story is happened when he is in hospital after got bullet in the head.
>>
>>160372454
He's a good character, but his biggest problem is how immensely overpowered he is.

he has no medium setting, it's either 0 or 11.

Either he's reflecting nuclear bombs and tearing everything around him into pieces to throw at people, or his thingy is broke and he can't do a single thing / Touma is using his nope-fist to, again, turn his powers off.

So they've kind of written themselves into a corner where it's going to be extremely difficult to come up with compelling ways in which this guy is supposed to struggle - all of the reasons he IS a good character are, however for that very reason - the fact that he's an invincible death machine, yet leads a very sad, lonely life, plagued additionally by the guilt of murdering just under 10,000 cloned high school girls, even more, fucked up being the fact they were seemingly completely okay with it...

That's where his struggles can only really lie, in his emotional journey, because there's no physical journey for him to even bother overcoming.
>>
I think I speak for everyone when I say that I would watch 24 episodes of Accel bullying Kakine.
>>
>>160374345
>it's going to be extremely difficult to come up with compelling ways in which this guy is supposed to struggle
Not really. Remember how one of the first things that happens in his tenure as a protagonist is that he comes home and finds his apartment ransacked? That's meant to drive home the fact that however invincible he is personally, it's not as much use as you'd think to him for protecting anything else, be it property or people. It's the whole dichotomy of being powerful, but powerless. His impotent rage at being (as far as he knows) the most powerful person in the world yet also seemingly unable to save one solitary life was part of what drove him in his current direction to start with.

Accelerator's physical struggles (such as they are) come in the form of having to protect what he cares about and that often being beyond the scope of his powers. Sure he can obliterate most any threat, but he can't safeguard Yomikawa, Yoshikawa and Last Order all at the same time, and he's come close to losing all three at some point or other, to say nothing of situations where his power is useless (Last Order's condition in WW3) or irrelevant (Worst vs Last Order).

The best part of his character is the emotional journey, for sure. But that journey is inextricably tied with the physical, with his struggling to realise what he CAN do to help with his powers, and wouldn't be able to make that journey if he didn't have something to lose.
>>
>genius that is clearly able to think creatively and apply his powers in new ways
>utilizing projectiles isn't even something he was unfamiliar with at the time
Literally no excuse as to why he didn't just flick a rock at Touma. Fuck Raildex.
>>
>>160377585
At first it was because he was bored and dicking around, then it was because Touma actually being able to harm him was novel and he wanted to push his limits against this new obstacle and later it was because he was starting to doubt what he was doing and hold back as a result.

I mean, he could have killed Misaka instantly when she attacked him as well, but (shocker) a character doesn't always go into a fight with the absolute intent of immediately killing their opponent in the simplest most efficient way possible. That's not his motive.
>>
>>160377815
>the absolute intent of immediately killing their opponent in the simplest most efficient way possible
I never said he should have done it from the start. However, when he starts backpedaling, freaking out, and wondering how to beat the person that can negate his defense when up close, the option that would keep himself from potentially getting a head injury is pretty clear. Repeating the same failed tactic isn't pushing your limits anyway.
>>
>>160378080
>when he starts backpedaling, freaking out
I don't recall the exact sequence of events (and am too lazy to check), but I think his reaction was more fascination and hype than freaking out. He didn't really start freaking out until he started wondering why this guy was willing to go so far for some clones and realising the resulting implications.

>Repeating the same failed tactic isn't pushing your limits anyway.
I recall him thinking up the plasma thing and trying that out. Sure it's not very efficient, but it's something new to try out that might push the envelope of what he can do with his ability, and that's what active participation in combat is to Accelerator at that point. Like, he didn't have to kill that clone by reversing her blood, but he'd just dreamt it up and wanted to try it out. He pushes his limits by doing new things with his powers.

Mild concussion might have also played a part, who knows. Dude was kinda scrawny to get punched in the face a bunch.
>>
>>160378377
It was just bad writing, plain and simple.

I like Raildex's setting and characters, but the author itself can't write for shit and it shows in a lot of the volumes.
>>
>>160378620
I dunno. An explicitly arrogant character losing a fight he could have otherwise won as a result of his pride sounds like pretty solid writing to me. Pride is a deadly sin for a reason
>>
>>160372454
>>160372562
Fuck his regular manga, the idol spinoff is fucking 10/10 and needs an adaptation.
>>
>>160378620
>the author itself can't write for shit
It's not so much that he can't write. He can write fine, otherwise that setting and those characters never would have been what they are. No, his problem is being too clever for his own good. He's constantly coming up with new metafictional concepts to explore and working it into the rest of the narratives, some of which are interesting and work, some of which...don't.

Although:
>It was just bad writing, plain and simple.
This kind of attitude grates. All too often people call 'bad writing' because things don't pan out the way they think they should or the way that appeals to them somehow. It's especially irritating coming from people who act like all fiction is and should be treated as a kind of simplistic exercise where a series of tasks must be completed by the characters, and that any behaviour that deviates from the accomplishment of this is bad writing because the they're acting more like a nuanced person than an optimal problem solving machine. You know, the kind of people who ask 'why don't they just nuke them?' and are 100% serious about it and don't understand why you would do anything else, like storytelling is a game of top trumps and power level wank and having bigger numbers.
>>
>>160379704
I always thought his second fight was even worse than the first one. He does everything his fanboys tell him to -- rip up the earth beneath him and throw it at Touma without giving him an opportunity to close in -- and still eats fist for his trouble.
>>
>>160381448
Touma dodging the black wings and all the debris thrown at him is pure undiluted bullshit
Kamachi is a fucking hack
>>
>>160381448
It's way better than the first one based purely off hype level. If you'd read the series up until that point you'd know how good Touma is at dodging things. He's blocked supersonic shit and had to dodge an immense amount of steel girders and gravel during the first Acclelerator fight. Combine that with the fact that Accelerator was behaving like a child throwing a tantrum as well as the fact that it was also serving as fate manipulation foreshadowing and suddenly the second fight makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>160372454
He's an edgy shitlord and only good in the Idol spinoff.
>>
File: 1500723988274.jpg (111KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500723988274.jpg
111KB, 1280x720px
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.