[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any theory on why japanese readers preferred OP over Naruto?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (432KB, 1112x1660px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
432KB, 1112x1660px
Any theory on why japanese readers preferred OP over Naruto?
>>
>>160156098
Better characters with more interesting stories to tell.
>>
It's more interesting to read something with a more western inspiration. Similar reason as to why Naruto was more popular in the States.
>>
Better everything
>>
The mainstream Japanese public have no taste.
>>
Naruto's designs are fucking nasty.
>>
more relatable
>>
people don't like thinking
>>
>>160156098
Autism.
>>
>>160156098
Same reason why most people do.
>>
>>160156098
they just have no taste
>>
>>160156098
Naruto is about Ninjas and Shinto gods

probably elementary level History class in Japan

OP is about Pirates, even blackbeard and Peter Pan isn't that well known in Japan
>>
>>160156098
>world trigger
Hiatus until when
>>
>>160156098
It is better. Also hopping from island to island is better fit to a long running manga than focusing everything on a fixed location.
>>
>>160156098
My guess: One piece works better on the demographic its sold to, while on the west titles aren't separate in demographics when sold as volumes, Naruto would speak to a broader audience slightly better.
>>
>>160156098
primacy effect
>>
>>160156098
Serious question - besides marketing purposes, why would you give a shit about the reasons why One Piece was more popular than Naruto?
>>
>>160156159
/thread.

nip culture was already saturated with samurai/ninja shit, and western stuff felt more novel to them.
>>
>>160156098
Because One Piece is good. I've tried reading Naruto and I rember I started skipping chapters when the moment Gaara's beast appeared because of how uninvested I was in the plot.
>>
>>160156098
I hate both of them, but from what I read ages ago, OP was creative and had interesting characters, even if everything always devolved into a power level fight. Naruto on the other hand was just constantly trying to be grim and edgy, took itself way too seriously and was just downright fucking miserable.
>>
File: 1497042168112.jpg (1023KB, 1548x1662px) Image search: [Google]
1497042168112.jpg
1023KB, 1548x1662px
>>160156098
One piece is a constant adventure filled with colorful characters and locales and the journey of a wonderful family of misfits. Luffy and the strawhats represent something most Japanese people can only dream of, a world of freedom and romance outside strict rules and traditions of society, especially a Japanese one.

Naruto's main appeal outside of cool fights is the journey of a plucky dead last loser trying to become the greatest which gets shat on when you realize he was born with almost every advantage possible. There's also a brooding teenager appeal that exist in characters like Sasuke, Gaara, Neji and even Naruto to a degree that just doesn't play as well the older you get. Not tomention the whole thing just kind of went to shit after the timeskip.

If I had to put it into memes, childhood is wanting to be a broody cunt like Sasuke or a demon possessed pariah like Naruto while adulthood is realizing you'd rather spend your time exploring the world with ten of your best bros. OP just feels more timeless than Naruto and Bleach as well.
>>
Superior in every way.

In fact OP is more popular than Nurutu in every place in the world other than Dumbfuckistan.
>>
>>160158897
So what you're saying is that Naruto is a gateway anime of the worst kind. It's a bad series, a clusterfuck of story and characterization that isn't very well done by any aspect, but which attempts to compensate for its weaknesses by adding in excessive shipping faggotry and DARKNESS. The normal anon can see this as the shit it is, and may enjoy it, hate it or be indifferent to it, but all the while recognizing that the series itself, regardless of their opinion, is plain bad.

However, these very aspects that try to smear over the shit of its core make it a breeding ground for aspie, unsociable underageb& faggots who engage in every kind of faggotry both online and in the real world. The superpowered characters all trying their hardest to look cool, the jutsus, peculiar, colorful clothes, the whole ninja faggotry and everything about the Naruto world fuels their escapist fantasies, while the pity-party character backgrounds, emphasis on revenge, and overall preachiness of the series make it fit just right with the mary-sueish drives of your average preteen and his sense of unwarranted self-importance towards the world. Exactly the kind of shit that makes little kiddies and underageb& retards eat this shit right the fuck up.

Naruto is basically THE series to attract the most hated anime fanbase known to /a/, which is why, regardless of individual opinions, it is the responsibility of every anon to troll the fuck out of this show and everyone who likes it, and ensure that no Naruto threads ever encourage the newfriends to show their faces here.
>>
superior nip taste triumphs once again
>>
>>160156098
Quality and preference aside, One Piece is has a way more wide appeal compared to Naruto

And it's lighthearted feel caters more to adults compared to Naruto's darker, edgier storylines in the later arcs. There's less emphasis on being "cool" and more emphasis on being "fun"
In addition to that, its runtime alone, and Shueisha's marketing juggernaut makes it a cultural pillar in modern Japan. When you say "Manga" people there think of One Piece.
That's just how it is.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.