[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there an MMO out there comes close Overlord, if you don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: Pleiades.jpg (1MB, 2769x1513px) Image search: [Google]
Pleiades.jpg
1MB, 2769x1513px
Is there an MMO out there comes close Overlord, if you don't include the "Dive" aspect? As in: Pretty in-depth system but lets you custom create avatar appearance and settings and design bases?

General Overlord discussion as well. Shizu best/cutest maid.
>>
Older MMOs like Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot come close. Overlord's YGGDRASIL is pretty much trying to be a D&D TRPG made into a video game with all the complexity focused on the depth of the game. I don't know how many people could get into a game where a character can easily have 800 spells, it clearly catered to the hardcore audience.
>>
>>159779640
>I don't know how many people could get into a game where a character can easily have 800 spells...
Well, me, the OP, which is why I'm asking. I'll look into the other two. Can I draw appearances for NPCs and design bases from scratch? Not like, cookie cutter, but 3D model furniture and the like? The more creative freedom the better. I know I'm asking a long shot but I kind of hope there is a game like that out there or about to be.
>>
File: pray.jpg (54KB, 530x696px) Image search: [Google]
pray.jpg
54KB, 530x696px
>>159779488
>design bases

The server costs to do that in a mmo on a large scale would be a fucking nightmare.
Just pray some technology breakthrough happens and we get an early version of overlord.
>>
>>159781259
>The server costs to do that in a mmo on a large scale would be a fucking nightmare.
Not really.
The disk is cheap and the bandwidth is plentiful nowadays.
>>
>>159781259
City of Heroes did it. Over a decade ago.
>>
>>159781259
Not every player gets a base though...

The closest you might get to that kind of creative freedom is Second Life, OP. You probably don't want to sell your soul, though.
>>
>>159781751
>Spoiler
Oh no. You've put it back into my head. I'd gone so long without thinking of that. So shit but yet so... fun? Fuck.
>>
>>159782000

>November 30, 2012, was listed as the official shutdown date of the game and the servers were turned off at midnight PST. Many players arrived en masse to express their continued protest, support, and fond farewells, including messages of gratitude from the developers and moderators thanking their fans for their support and passion for the game.[1][2] A variety of efforts got underway, led by players of the game, to keep the game operating past the announced date of closure.[12] Ultimately, their efforts were unsuccessful, and the game shut down as scheduled.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Heroes
Just like the animu. T_T I wonder if there's a "Momonga," in a City of Heroes... doing his thing right now...
>>
>>159779640
>I don't know how many people could get into a game where a character can easily have 800 spells

Several million, if Guild Wars is any indication.
>>
>>159781259
To be fair, Nazarick wasn't designed from scratch, it was just a really hard dungeon that Ainz Ooal Gown took over.
>>
>>159781433
It still cost millions to maintain servers each month and that's with mediocre graphics and customization.
>>
>>159783851
Care to provide some substance for these numbers?
>>
>>159781259
>design bases
doable with minecraft/chisel and bits
>>
>>159784340
It's doable in minecraft without C&B.
>>
>>159779488
Dot Hack is best MMO
>>
>>159779488
Non, because
>much ballance
>>
>>159781861
>Used to play Second Life.
>Know how it feels to be alone in a server waiting for some of your friends to log in.
>They never do.
>>
>>159781433
Even if disk space and bandwidth is cheap and plentiful designing coherent terrain customisation MMO spaces is extremely design intensive. The closest anyone got was EQN (Ultra-alpha alpha Landmark) which is beyond dead at this point. AI pathing was a persistent problem in that aborted game and ideally you would want movable customizable objects (vehicles/airships/boats) as well this is currently something well beyond the current state of the art.
>>
>>159786684
Frankly, I don't really care if it's a little buggy. I just want to recreate Nazarick and get it on with the maids... well some of them..
>>
>>159786731
The developer behind the terrain tech that made the now super dead EQNL is still developing and working on aforementioned problems.

http://procworld.blogspot.ca/

It will take a lot of time to make it work well enough to work on an MMO game designed to run on most PCs. You probably need much higher core counts, vastly optimised code for said cores, next generation game engines, ....

There are countless difficult problems the are needed to be solved well before you can fully customise high fidelity characters, build bases on par with developer made content, and so on and so forth. And have it work on most people's PCs in a networked environment.
>>
>>159786896
But there are already several examples ITT. So it would not be too much to assume either there are beta games out there already, that just have not been discovered, or in the process, as the game you have shown.
>>
>>159786896
Isn't this literally just one guy fucking around though? It's not too much to expect a team to go further.
>>
>>159786896
The problem isn't the tech. The problem are the legal and social issues that this kind of game would invariably bring.
>>
>>159786974
>>159786999
I don't think there are any games doing remotely similar stuff and the only major alpha alpha one using the tech is very much dead. I'm pretty sure teams are using/testing the plugin but at this stage it is pretty early stage stuff. This guy is pretty insane for what he does. But right now voxel games of that fidelity are still very resource intensive so not many major games are likely to use it if only a fraction of users can actually play it. Not to mention there are a lot of missing critical features and optimisation left. If you find any post them as I'm also very interested such games if they exist at all.

EQN Landmark to me looked like an extremely long shot and predictably it failed horribly. I haven't seen anything else that can even come close and the plugin being developed is not even remotely ready for big MMO games.
>>
>>159787193
Why does it need to be voxel, though? It would be okay if the "greater world" were static and you were given a smaller, "base," with a smaller resource draw on it.
>>
>>159787114
I don't think so. The problem is most certainly on the tech side. No one can run it and the code just isn't there yet. The legal issue and social issues are all played out in Minecraft already just with graphics so dated everything is visibly voxel based. Getting better voxel graphics and supporting all sorts of features is really hard. Compared to making a minecraft clone type game having increased voxel graphics, dynamic AI pathing with much more complex terrain, doing physics on loose objects, structural collapse calculations, moving vehicles, modelled characters interacting with said terrain, segmenting structures from ground, ... the list goes on and on.
>>
>>159787280
Then it would have to be instanced and creating it would require traditional modelling tools which would make creating it much more difficult and very inaccessible. It would not fit what overlord has in that the base is set in the world. You also run into problems with excessive detail and needing to hand create navigation meshes, lighting models, everything. You would need an entire development team to make a decent base look similar to the rest of the world.

A high fidelity voxel based engine would automatically do all of that which is the hard part but would make world/base customisation while staying within limits automatic.
>>
>>159787474
Voxel engines allow easy modelling, destruction, modification, LOD, ... but obviously doing things like fluid/solid interaction automatically is hard. But in a traditionally modelled area fluid/solid interaction is all done by hand which for most is impossible. You need to make it so only modelling is required and make it easy to use which is very difficult.
>>
>tfw there were four stages to an alchemist's magnum opus, starting with Nigredo, and going to Albedo, Citrinitas, and finally Rubedo.
ALBEDO'S FINAL SISTER WHEN?!
>>
>>159787558
>In Jungian psychology Rubedo is the final stage of individuation, the "Self" archetype, and merges the ego and "Self." Citrinitas was the "wise old man/woman."
Old lady incoming.
>>
>>159787558
>>159787612
Nuh, Tabula probably got bored after creating the third sister.
It happens
>>
>>159787736
i cri
>>
File: For the princess.jpg (369KB, 948x1176px) Image search: [Google]
For the princess.jpg
369KB, 948x1176px
Reminder
>>
>finally got around to reading the maids chapter
>>
>>159781751
And how did that go
>>
>>159787114
>The problem isn't the tech
It's tech. Not the bandwidth or disk space, but the sheer complexity of programming.
It would be a fucking nightmare to properly code and test. Just look at the Skyrim.
>>
File: IMG_4690.png (181KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4690.png
181KB, 750x1334px
The sad news
Vol 12 won't be released in August.
https://www.enterbrain.co.jp/schedule/
>>
What's the best chapter? For me it's chapter 9. All that splat splat made me scared of Ainz for a bit.
>>
File: 1498646891371.jpg (22KB, 358x398px) Image search: [Google]
1498646891371.jpg
22KB, 358x398px
>>159793506
How long will this blue-balling continue?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.