[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Mandatory english dubs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: The Big O.jpg (39KB, 300x383px) Image search: [Google]
The Big O.jpg
39KB, 300x383px
Sub purists stay the fuck out.
>>
None of them. Dubs are for brainlets who can't read.
>>
Pic unrelated
>>
>>159737911
The reason dubs suck isn't because of the change in language, it's because the English voice actors have zero interest in the material and don't put in any effort, which is why the only people who like them unironically are also people who can't put in any effort
>>
>>159737953
And subs are for brainlets that don't know Jap.
>>
shit nigga
>>
Cowboy Bebop is better in dub imo
>>
>>159737911
Pretty much anything not made by funimation after 2013
>>
>>159737911
>Sub purists
>not already knowing the generally approved eng dubs
Lurk for 2 years before posting.
>>
>>159739941
Merely bandwagoning. We want the real opinions. None of this COWBOY BEBOP or SAMURAI SHAMPOO shit. We want ones that weebs will wet themselves in rage over
>>
>>159737911
Have fun hearing "megadeuce" forever, faggot
>>
>>159740083
>we
>weebs
lurk for 2 years before posting, you're looking for /r/anime
>>
>>159740180
There we go we got one
>>
Both versions of Fullmetal Alchemist.
>>
File: 1386997807600.jpg (42KB, 514x527px) Image search: [Google]
1386997807600.jpg
42KB, 514x527px
Panty and Stocking.
>>
>>159739691
You sure about that? Last I checked the voice acting in the English dub of Big O was superb.
>>
>>159740354
This is the only correct answer for shows that began during this decade.
>>
>>159739862
this, and lupin for me only because it's so familiar.
>>
>>159739691
Either that or the ADR Director is responsible for being apathetic, incompetent, or both.
>>
Sailor Moon's dub is objectively better
>>
>>159737911
>Still no Ghost Stories
https://youtube.com/watch?v=qIgmvyHhc6w
>>
>>159740372

>>159740173
>>
>>159739862
I like the Bebop dub but I like the jap voice actors way more. Some of the all time best are there. The Space Dandy sub I'd say is equal if not better, though.
>>
>>159740817
Space Dandy dub I mean
>>
If you even listen to dubs to see if they're any good or not you don't belong here. At all. Like an M&M in a packet of skittles.
>>
I don't think I'd ever call an English dub "mandatory". They can be good, but hardly mandatory. It's funny seeing people constantly cite the same 15-20 "good" dubs released irregularly over the last 25 years and being totally unable to name anything else besides those popular examples. That seems like solid proof that there's something wrong with the dubbing industry.
>>
>>159737911
>11
Nice English dubs there.
>>
>>159740973
The only mandatory one is Ghosts Stories for obvious reasons
>>
>>159737911
Golden Boy is hilarious in English. My problem with anime dubs nowadays is that there's a huge difference between real voice actors who are capable of different ranges and anime dubbers that sound like people hired off the street. If the setting is mostly western like Big O the English dub sounds more natural than the Japanese with its Rajuh Sumisu and Doroshi Weinuraito.
>>
File: 1472882954731.png (157KB, 422x309px) Image search: [Google]
1472882954731.png
157KB, 422x309px
Have their been any Japanese creators who saw the English dub of their work as the AUTHORITATIVE version? Now I'm really curious.
>>
>>159741868
Cowboy Bebop said it sounded cooler in English.
>>
>>159740886
In the cases shows that take place in grounded western settings like the Big O, absolutely not. Japs know fuck all about American culture which is where the show takes place (at least in a fucked up not-New york city). Steve Blum was great as Roger and made him feel like Batman while Dorothy's english VA was amazing. Hearing Jap-Roujaa as some monotone nip salarymen is jarring.
>>
OP was talking about his dubs
>>
>>159741958
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>159737953
fpbp
>>
>>159739862
Cowboy Bebop's English dub is better than the Japanese dub of some anime, but not better than Cowboy Bebop's Japanese dub.
>>
>>159741868
Watanabe said the dub for the CB movie sounded good, but that his English was bad. Somehow that turned into "the creator said the English dub was better".
Once upon a time in a 2ch/2chan (dubfags alternate between these, but there's no source anyway so it doesn't matter) thread someone liked a trailer for the English dub of Code Geass. Naturally the dubfag interpretation of this is that "even Japan preferred the English dub".
>>
>>159737911
Ghost Stories is almost unwatchable without the dub.
>>
>>159746320
The voice of Lelouche did a good job, wisely not trying to imitate the unique and brilliant performance Jun Fukuyama gave, but overall the Code Geass English dub sounded like every other average voice acting job. I think I checked out the scene where whatsherface died and she was just some cringy generic valley girl with no emotion - meanwhile Lelouche's voice actor was fantastic and really made you feel his personality and desperation. Cowboy Bebop at least had a good performance from everyone, including Ed (which blew me away the first time I listened to it as I was expecting it to be terrible). But no, I really don't get the praise people give to Code Geass's English dub. It was pretty run-of-the-mill to me.
>>
Howl's Moving Castle
Shin Chan
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.