[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The story went downhill when it got rid of the Ripple. Having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 6

The story went downhill when it got rid of the Ripple. Having the stands and moving the story to Japan made everything generic.
>>
>>159713932
>stands are more generic than ki power
>>
>>159713932
I think you have an unpopular opinion there, comrade.

I would agree though, that part 1 and 2 were the best. Especially part 1, but ESPECIALLY part 2.
>>
I wish they had at least kept some of the Ripple stuff and incorporated it into the Stand fights
>>
>>159713932
The ripple was your ordinary Shonen movepool that could seemingly solve any problem.
Healing, water manipulation, hypnotism, stretchy limbs, slowed aging, euthanasia, if it kept going, the applications would get even more ridiculous.
Not to mention how you'd have to make a villain more powerful than Ultimate Kars at that rate, and make each protagonist's ripple "stronger", which has never quite been clear as to what it actually did.

Stands can create more possible opponents without worrying about power levels and the like.
>>
>>159713932
Part 2 jojo is the best jojo, but I don't think it has anything to do with ripple.
>>
>>159713932
The ripple is just as generic as Stands though. What's your point?
>>
>>159713932
>moving the story to Japan
What? Three tours half the world, five is in Italy, and six and seven are in America.
>>
Stands are great and iconic but I do feel that the show became profoundly less FABULOUS once the Ripple was phased out
>>
>>159713932

Stands are cooler, but it would've been nice for them to keep Ripple around in some form.
>>
>>159715149
with Japanese characters though, they should've kept them British or American.
>>
>>159715199
The ripple was good because it could be used in anyway the user wanted. But it had one big weakness on the user being human. Incapacitate the user and it's done.

Then the stands were introduced with rules. But then each arc will throw away those rules and add new ones. It also didn't mattter how much the user was hurt since they could still use their powers.
>>
Japs were butthurt about the characters being Europeans, that's why Jotaro is "half Japanese" in name only of course since he looks white like the other characters. Making Jotaro "cool" to appease the racist Japs destroyed the manga IMO.
>>
>>159715370
Are you really arguing that something is generic because of the ethnicity of the characters?
>>
>>159716752
>>159716956
Yes, that's why Part 1,2 and some of 3 are so good. Araki didn't have to worry about trying to tie everything to Japan and it felt more natural having the characters being European and going on global adventures.

That's why Diamond is so much shit as an arc.
>>
>>159717242
>it felt more natural having the characters being European
What? How?
>>
>>159714612
stands aren't generic though
>>
File: 1451090689482.jpg (40KB, 261x260px) Image search: [Google]
1451090689482.jpg
40KB, 261x260px
>>159713932
Anyone who thinks that hamon was in any way superior to stands has not read the manga past part 3.
Hamon is literally just shitty ki used to finish off enemies, everything that made the Battle tendency fights good wasn't the hamon but the way Joseph utilized his surroundings and pulled shit out of his ass to beat his enemies.
>>
>>159717439
For one they actually travel places and know a lot of customs. They know various languages and most importantly they're not manlet virgins who don't leave their country like the Japanese.
>>
>anime only fag
I start watching part 3 today and can't really say something about story yet but why ost went to shit? Especially part 2 had godlike ost
>>
>>159717667
>pulled shit out of his ass to beat his enemies

Which including using hamon to do it. Or do you mean pulling shit out of his ass like how Star Platinum conveniently developed the same powers the World had even though at the beginning they said each stand was unique.
>>
>>159717674
But again, Part 4 and 8 are the only parts with a mostly Japanese cast. Everything else is western characters.
>>
stands could be great, way better than hamon. The problem isnt the system, the problem is the super episodic way of writing he does after part 2.
anime only fag btw.
part 4 is almost no different than part 3, its just 1-2 episode stand battles with little to no influence on the story, the characters o the surroundings.
i can "forgive" this style of writing if you write a world travel story like in part 3, but in part 4?
Half the time they try to kill each other in the battle, after that the villain makes a 180 character change and its all alright now and the world almost resets.
>>
>>159717953
Bro, only Italian Dio gets away with it. The rest of the protagonists have been Japanese.
>>
>>159717786
No I mean literally pulling a tommy gun out of his ass.
I'm not saying that asspulls are necessarily a bad thing, every single final antagonist in this series has only lost because the protagonist pulled shit out of his ass, but you have to be purposefully obtuse to not see that stands allow for way more creative fights than hamon.
>>
>>159718025
Part 4 is the most shit of all the arcs.
>>
>>159718054
Johnny is American and Jolyne is even less Japanese than Jotaro.
>>
>>159718054
Italian Dio is half japanese too, though.
>>
>>159718065
They don't though because Araki wrote himself into a corner. Remember that when hamon was introduced it was said its range was infinite and the user could use it however he wanted. At least it was a nice way of saying he could pull asspulls but the story justifies it.

With stands he limited himself by saying each stand has certain skills, limits, range and it's unique. By the middle of the arc he drops some of the rules and suddenly in the end Star Platinum and the World are the same because he couldn't think of a way for Jotaro to beat Dio.

Then each arc after that makes up shit for stands to be broken after that.
>>
>>159713932
>stands
>generic

Hamon is generic and dumb. I'd have stands over hamon anytime.
>>
>>159718054
Italian Dio isn't Italian, he's Japanese-American just like the others. His stepfather is Italian. And you didn't even remember that, because it's a completely immaterial detail, just like the ethnicity of the rest of the MCs.
>>
>>159718515
Whoops. Japanese-British, rather.
>>
>>159718181
Johnny is just Jonathan from another universe so it is expected that he wasn't going to be Japanese. He still made the reset universe head to Japan though.

>>159718382
True, but he downplayed the shit out of it though. You can tell he doesn't like that his editors and audience want Japan to be the protagonist since he is a Western fag.
>>
>>159718408
The powers are inconsistent but the fights are way more imaginative and fun as an expense.
>>
>>159717674
What the fuck sort of generalization is this? You're saying it's unbelievable that a nip character would go traveling? Come on, nigger.
>>
>>159718580
Honestly I thought the fights Jonathan and Joseph were more imaginative since they were actually fightings instead of the stands. There was more stakes if that makes sense.
>>
>>159718817
Not him, but stakes are a completely different discussion from how imaginative something is.
>>
>>159718687
Yes, their people are fucking dying out because they're so timid and fragile. Why do you think Araki made Joseph hate the Japanese?
>>
>>159718870
https://www.tourism.jp/en/tourism-database/stats/outbound/
Seven million Japanese have gone abroad this year.
>>
>>159713932
Let us all agree that Hamon and Stands could live in Harmony and lead to unique situations, and getting rid of Hamon was a crime.
>>
>>159718868
How so? Jonathan and Joseph had to approach the fights and really think how to outsmart the opponent since they were supernatural foes.

The only imaginative fights after that were stuff like the D'arby brothers but 98% of the time it was just throw Star Platinum or Silver Chariot at the foe and whoever was stronger would win.
>>
>>159718998
So you only watched the anime huh
>>
>>159719044
Nigger, I'm at JoJolion and shit hasn't changed. Steel Ball Run was a little bit better though but it's drag down by the shit after part 2.
>>
Hamon was dropped at just the right time when it got stale and anyone who thinks parts 1 and 2 were better than any of the other parts is an animeonly
>>
>>159718998
I'm pretty sure that some mystical breathing technique that allows you to harm vampires, walk on water, defend yourself from a barrage of bullets with just a handful of hair, control minds and do other crazy shit is also supernatural.
>>
>>159719279
But all that went away as soon as you cut off their breathing which was a huge weakness. The stands didn't have that.
>>
>>159714237
>what is part 3
>>
File: 1491030020848.jpg (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1491030020848.jpg
11KB, 250x250px
>a rip-off of Hokuto no Ken is somehow less original than stands
>>
>>159713932
I love the ripple and parts 1&2, but stands were one of the best things to happen to the series, because it meant each fight wasn't about getting powerups in order to beat someone stronger than you, instead it relied more on creative uses of limiting powers

besides, the ripple was becoming so universally useful in ways that made less and less sense (I still call bullshit on ripple hypnosis, of girls or pigeons)
>>
>>159715370
Jotaro is the only full-blooded japanese person in part 6
the only asian people in part 7 are side-characters at best; the main characters are american and italian
>>
>>159719760
he's a half gajin remember?
>>
>>159719687
this. Battle tendency was only good because Joseph actually had to outsmart his opponents. instead of the shonen jump shit where
>I HAVE PEOPLE TO PROTECT
>THEY MAKE ME STROOONG HUUUAH

Notice how the people who fought that way all fucking died?
Caesar tried that emotional bullshit, but one slip up and he was killed in a second.
>>
>>159719811
you're right, I'm dumb

makes the guy I was replying to even more dumb though, because it turns out Jolyne is only like 1/8 japanese at best
>>
>>159719950
Unless you're implying Jotaro is a cuck, Jolyne is 1/4 Nip.
>>
>>159719936
>>>/r9k/
Fuck off.
>>
>>159719977
jotaro could have easily fucked josuke's mom
>>
>>159713932
>stands made everything generic
>moving the story to Japan
Only two parts take place in Japan, and they're hardly the typical japan we see, since it's just a rural seaside town, rather than a big city.
OP being a faggot as usual.
>>
>>159718567
>downplayed the shit out of it though
Downplayed the shit out of what? Giorno got as much "japanization" as the rest of the japanese main characters. That is to say, in one of the early chapters the narrator or another character reads off his ethnicity, along with his job/school, age, and hobbies.
>>
>>159718998
How so? The Part 3 onward protagonists had to approach the fights and really think how to outsmart the opponent since they were supernatural foes.

The only imaginative fights in the first two Parts were stuff like Wamuu but 98% of the time it was just punch each other with hamon/vampire abilities and whoever was stronger would win.
>>
>>159719370
Every stand aside from Star Platinum has huge glaring weaknesses, and each fight typically begins with that weakness getting exploited and the protagonists being in a seemingly hopeless scenario.
Having your breathing being restricted will never compare to shit like White Album, Green Day, Highway Star, or literally any of the final villains' Stands to name a few. If you seek weaknesses and scenarios that put the protagonists at a disadvantage requiring them to seriously think and strategize about how to overcome the situation, I can't understand how Stands don't appeal directly to that desire.
>>
>>159717674
>Japanese don't know foreign culture or customs
He says while discussing a manga written by a Japanese man that constantly portrays foreign culture and customs
>>
>>159713932
>Animeonly tries to discuss jojo again

Fuck off would you?
>>
>>159713932
>>
>>159725116
>I watched the first couple of episodes of Stardust Crusaders and nothing else: the .jpg
>>
From the latter half of part 4 onwards the stands start to become good. Although there were some weird stands in part 5, part 6 and beyond are extremely well made battles of wits.
>>
>>159717706
Eat shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2L4r0Aelvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gi6ToIkuTA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpc8K-zQoYM
>>
File: DjDMdpu.jpg (279KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
DjDMdpu.jpg
279KB, 500x667px
what the fuck is "stands" I want a small explanation I just watched season 1 and got bored of hamon desu
No spoilers pls
>>
Seems impossible for any action anime watcher to not have an idea of what a stand is.
>>
>>159713932
I want everyone who grew up with and enjoyed DBZ to die.
>>
>>159719426
Joseph barely does anything with it and no one else can use it
>>
>>159727270

Stands are basically hamon if they were personified in the form of a spirit only other practicioners could see and ensure that every combatant has a unique skillset.

They also very roughly balance powers e.g. a stand that works super well up close won't work well from a distance, or a stand with a superpowered basic ability will typically have a number of restrictions on how it works to balance it out.

If you've read HxH it's not entirely dissimilar to nen, just with less control and some swing on luck (you can have a OP stand or a shitty one)
>>
Haven't read Jojolion, is it still going on?
>>
>>159717706
They got a different guy to do the music. I think the person that did parts 1 and 2 was unhappy with how his music was used/edited, so he didn't come back for part 3 or 4.
>>
>>159727270
They're not related to hamon, while early part 3 suggests some similarities the idea is quickly dropped and forgotten about. A stand is a physical manifestation of your mental energy, so called because it stands behind you in battle. Everyone has a different one and fights are more oriented around who makes better use of their power rather than whose power is outright stronger.
>>
>>159713932
While I would not call stands generic I do agree that the Ripple was better, partially because it involved more training and was actually difficult to perform. Araki did quite a lot of creative stuff with it, but every fight stilll felt like a fight and not like a joke, where the punchline is just how stand x beats stand y. It is also just more engaging to see someone fight using the ripple instead of having the stands fight.
>>
>>159728173
>Dubstep squirrels
>bad
>>
>>159728924
?
For the record, I don't think the newer guy does a bad job at all. The tracks are solid and they're used well. I personally prefer the soundtrack in the first two parts, but that's just a matter of taste.
>>
>>159728494
>>159727911
Nice, thx guys that got me interested.
>>
>>159728494
The thing that bothered me is where were the stand users while the pillar man were running amok.

>>159728763
That's what I'm talking about! It was more satisfying seeing them fight by themselves instead of the stands.
>>
>Stands are more generic than literally Fist of the North Star with vampires

I love Battle Tendency but come on man.
>>
>>159719426
>one line of text in the first season using stands
you sure told us, anon.
>>
Does Ripple=Hamon or what?!
>>
>>159729723
Yes
>>
>>159729400
It wasn't their fight. Stand users are drawn to other stand users, but the pillar men didn't have stands, so that wasn't happening. Most natural stand users either lived hermits' lives or were petty scum who used their power to commit crimes. Neither exactly the kind of person to willingly go into battle with some weird super-vampires trying to take over the world, even with the massive advantage they'd have.
>>
>>159713932
Ripples are just inner energy you use to beat people up. At least Stands has a lot of creativity in their design and powers.
>>
>>159717242
>>159718025
>>159718129
>Hating Diamond is unbreakable
What does it feel like to always taste shit
>>
File: 4913085_orig.jpg (11KB, 350x250px) Image search: [Google]
4913085_orig.jpg
11KB, 350x250px
>hamon is intresting cus you need to breath to use it.
I'm pretty sure that breathing is necessary for most people to do anything.
>>
>>159729678
>first season

Makes sense why you have such shit taste
>>
>>159730868
You tell me, you're the one that likes that crappy arc.
>>
>>159732118
I'd be fine with not liking DiU if these idiots didn't, in the same breath, defend SC. DiU is strictly a step up from Part 3 because the stand-of-the-week format fits far better in the more slice-of-life tone on Part 4, whereas Part 3 had to ignore its premise (saving Holly's life in a limited time frame) so the characters could constantly meander about, as well as force stupidity on the characters just for excuses to split them up for 1v1 battles.
And, of course, the Stands and battles were far more creative. No "my stand just shoots fire", or bullshit like "star finger".
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.