[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about romance in shounen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 395
Thread images: 39

File: 1440547404452.jpg (87KB, 630x411px) Image search: [Google]
1440547404452.jpg
87KB, 630x411px
I think this is worth a conversation. Why does it seem like some people are surprised by a lot of end pairings of main characters? I can't think of a single end pairing for main characters in a battle shounen that was a surprise. The closest, and I'm stretching really hard here, would be that Bulma ended up with Vegeta in DB since that really did kind of come out of nowhere, but by the same token, Goku gets proposed by Chichi? Oh look they got married. Kuririn gets kissed by 18? Oh look they got married. Videl shows a slight interest in Gohan upon first meeting? WOW LOOK WHAT HAPPENED! Usually this shit is telegraphed a mile away, even as far back as very early chapters.

What I'm wondering is how the fuck is it so hard for people to see through these? These are not meant to be romance epics. They are primarily comics for a young male audience. If they throw a few shippy moments in there, that doesn't mean that this is what the story would focus on. They don't need to. I agree that a lot of these relationships end up feeling shallow without enough buildup but my point is on the actual end pairings themselves. The authors plant this early so they don't have to focus too much on it

I mean, to this day there are people still butthurt that Naruto and Sakura didn't end up together 3 years later and more recently, Ichigo and Rukia when I personally thought it was pretty obvious. There are still people who think Natsu will end up with Lisanna, are you kidding? People actually shocked Alibaba chose Mor? Raku ending up with Chitoge? Diane finally kissing King recently? And my personal favorite, anybody who seriously believes Ochako and Deku isn't written in stone. Like this shit is obvious.

tl;dr, Shounen are predictable with this shit, even in romcoms and harems. So why do people choose to ignore the obvious?
>>
>>159621938
Soma ending up with Erina should be pretty obvious as well.
>>
>>159621938
A lesson I had to learn when dealing with fans is that oftentimes personal preference supersedes facts. Various fans don't draw conclusions from what is shown, but instead have a favored outcome and then try to interpret everything in a way that supports their wish. You can't argue with them, because they're not interested in discussing things as they are, unless they happen to favor their view. A variation would be "I don't like this character, so everything they do has to have a negative spin".
>>
I'd say this is pretty common in seinen too more often than not
>>
The only one i see causing upset is gintama, i dont think there will be any pairings at all, doesnt help that the ship everyone loves of kaguraxsougo is downright imaginary and clearly was never intentional. I feel like it wouldnt hurt to just give closure to them though even the imaginary one.

>>159622287
I could understand confuson earlier, but for the past 70 some chapters shes basically been an outright love interest and souma is kind of heading in that direction to himself, the issue is just erina is retarded
>>
>>159623048
Bleach got this so bad, orihime was pretty blatently the love interest since the start but people kept denying reality.

To be fair though, the anime removed alot of the scenes early on and added ship baiting filler for a non romantic relationship.
>>
>>159624204
I'll admit I am ridiculously based toward a GinXTsukuyo end but I won't hold my breath
>>
>>159624269
I'd say the oneshot is the definitive proof that Orihime was always the love interest
>>
>>159624564
Do you mean the pilot chapter? Yeah, Kubo had planned it since the beginning
>>
>>159624281
Well that's kind of the specific pairing I was referring to honestly. Tsukuyo was the only romantic pairing in gintama not treated as a joke. Actually thinking back on it I think gintama might actually confirm the pairings cause I completely forgot how otae and kondo basically already got together more or less at the end of the farewell shinsengumi arc. I dont think anything remotely kagura/sougo will happen though. I firmly believe it was 100% unintentional for the fanbase to so widely pair those 2 together, and I feel like if sorachi had intentions of pairing them off in response he'd of put way more focus on them in that light prior to where we are at now. Tsukuyo I jhave no clue how that'd go, I kind of feel like its gonna be glossed over or something cause it doesn't seem all that popular.

>>159625831
I didnt mean necessarily just that, but the entire first 2 arcs are pretty loaded with teases about orihime liking him and ichigo liking her as a person enough that something more could later develop. Everything after the arrancar arc though lost any semblance of subtlety even in the anime which is why im surprised by how much backlash the ending got from shipperfags. Like Orihime basically became the heroine of the franchise midway through all the way down to her and ichigo basically partnering for the final fights more or less.
>>
The problem, like all media, is the expectation that to be different, artists wouldn't follow typical achetype or storytelling themes. This is not unique to shonen manga AT ALL, it is common in shojo, TV shows, movies, books, etc.

There is the expectation that the first girl always wins, or that the character with the most character development in the beginning will become the "winner."
>>
I didn't understand the naruSaku thing until Kishi admitted he tried to bait them in order to build up interest in the series.Some Mangaka are also against romance and have a way of conveying friendship that can appear romantic to some readers. That's the case with One Piece. Oda has stated he doesn't want to write anything about relationships but that doesn't stop people from shipping. For the most part shippers dont look at the facts but what they want to see.
>>
>>159621938
Because shipping is based on attraction to characters, self-inserting and wish-fulfillment, therefore an emotional approach to the subject is inevitable. This leads to denial, overinterpretations, headcanons, shitflinging, waifuwars, butthurt and drama. Just take a look at this: http://imgur.com/a/XKwJ4/#0
>>
>>159624204
>but for the past 70 some chapters shes basically been an outright love interest and souma is kind of heading in that direction to himself, the issue is just erina is retarded
Actually in OVA 2/ Special chapter, Erina stated to herself that she cannot think of anything(relationships) other than cooking right now, not until she becomes the best(first seat). Meaning that she isn't looking for any relationships but currently in the manga her potential feelings for Soma has begun and will eventually grow. She doesn't "love" Soma yet but she's definitely getting there but when it does the question is will she resist? For Soma he's Foodsexual, only food can turn him on. But for real Soma isn't focused on love, he's busy trying to accomplish his 3 other aims(defeat his father, become the first seat, and have Erina say his food is delicious). After accomplishing 2 or all 3 of his aims he'd probably become more wary of love but because this is Shonen I have my doubts but who know, maybe the mangaka will break the Shonen curse and do something new but i'm not holding my breath.
>>
File: suicide watch.png (98KB, 540x536px) Image search: [Google]
suicide watch.png
98KB, 540x536px
>>159621938
>Let's talk about romance in shounen
>>
File: 1474008841172.jpg (65KB, 540x421px) Image search: [Google]
1474008841172.jpg
65KB, 540x421px
>>159626545
>shipping is based on attraction to characters, self-inserting and wish-fulfillment

Just in case anyone was wondering why everyone hate shippers.
>>
There's always that point in the manga where you know exactly what the author has in mind regarding romance in a shonen.
Incidentally their decision matters a lot. Way more than people give it credit for. Because essentially their choice of canon romance is a reflection of their overall writing skill.
If an author takes the easy timeskip way out it's essentially tacked on and worthless. Romance even in shonen, even if it's only vaguely hinted at is something that needs to be fleshed out in full. Anything else is cowardice and fanbaiting on the author's side. I wasn't as mad as I had expected at the end of Soul Eater, but that's because everything made sense even though my shipping goggles pointed me to something else.
That's one way you handle romance in shonen, not by the author randomly pairing his waifus.
I'll give credit to Kishi for sticking with his original clear cut plan regarding that, even if the manga itself went to complete shit.
>>
Requesting the imgur album showing the tumblrpocalypse after Hinata/Orihime won
>>
>>159626343
>There is the expectation that the first girl always wins, or that the character with the most character development in the beginning will become the "winner."
Actually, I think it's more like "first girl to show legit romantic interest is the 'winner'". At least when it comes to battle shounen anyway
>>
>>159621938
I agree, but there's a particular issue with Narusaku and Ichihime.

The former, Kishi went on record saying that he intentionally made the pairing a red herring to lead readers on, and the fact Hinata is still ultimately a supporting character for a majority of the series despite being Naruto's eventual wife, with all of the buildup to their relationship being relegated to an hour and half movie.

Ichigo and Rukia's relationship was WAY more fleshed out than Ichigo and Orihime's, with Rukia's rescue arc being generally considered the highest point of the series and Orihime's being generally considered one of the lowest points. There's also the fact that unlike the Naruto example above, Ichigo shows absolutely NO romantic interest in either of them, not even a token crush.

But yea, Shonen have rather obvious pairings that I don't think get contested too much. Bleach and Naruto are just the most infamous examples due to how the authors portrayed their pairings.
>>
>>159621938
Romance in most japanese work is terrible becuase the japanese don't understand how a relationship should work so they just hastily pair up people at the end. Now I can get some people not dating because they're a loser. I'm on 4chan I'm not one to talk. However, when no dates the world becomes some sorta alternate universe and I wish they'd work with a younger cast if they couldn't make seem off. It doesn't mean it needs a hard focus but it's so dumb.
>>
>>159628875
>Ichigo and Rukia's relationship was WAY more fleshed out than Ichigo and Orihime's
It was fleshed out as namaka, so people simply ignored this and thought that because they were a male and a female their relationship had to be romantic
>>
>>159628875

In battle shonen the romance is simply hinted or just put here and there, and even if the characters end up with random girsl I don't think people should complain because the romantic life of the characters is not important here.

Authors do this because they don't want to focus much on romance, although some make the romance more central in their series, like in Inuyasha for example. But, anyhow, is up to the author and what they want to do, I don't think they are going to change their way to make romance because some readers want more focus on it and that the romantic relationship of the protagonist be central in the series.
>>
File: 1450759671138.jpg (1MB, 2133x1929px) Image search: [Google]
1450759671138.jpg
1MB, 2133x1929px
>I've got a bomb

>>159628875
>Ichigo and Rukia's relationship was WAY more fleshed out than Ichigo and Orihime's
Yes. As friends (also does Rukia even really do anything major after the rescue arc? I mean she Bankais against jarhead and that's really it right?)

>with Rukia's rescue arc being generally considered the highest point of the series and Orihime's being generally considered one of the lowest points.
I think that was more to do with the fact that it was basically the same arc as the last with even more bullshit
>>
>>159629204
>>159629381

Well yea, that's my point. Romantic or not, there's way more investment in Ichigo and Rukia than Ichigo and Orihime.

So the fact that Ichigo ends up marrying someone he has such little chemistry with is all the more jarring.

I'm not saying that he should have ended up with Rukia, but rather his relationship with Orihime is pretty underdeveloped despite being his primary love interest.
>>
>>159621938
If Soma and Erina from Shokugeki no Soma does end up canon would it be the most satisfying pairing to happen in Shonen Jump? I mean anyone who denies this pairing and favors Soma and Megumi more are just deluded fags because it's been hinted for Soma and Erina to end up together since the oneshot.
>>
>>159629283
For better or worse, shipping gets fans invested in a series and sparks more sales, so it at least makes sense to tease potential pairings.
>>
>>159629811
Arguing for either pairing is kind of ridiculous at this point since none of them have any confirmed feelings for each other at the moment.

Hell, Erina only started becoming less hostile towards Soma relatively recently, and Megumi is still in the hero worship phase according to the author, and Soma himself is only concerned with being the best cook, nothing else.

But people are more than willing to cling to Jou's line from the first chapter about finding somebody to cook for despite not really coming into play yet. But hey, Shippers are notoriously irrational when it comes to this stuff anyway.
>>
>>159630072
>Hell, Erina only started becoming less hostile towards Soma relatively recently
That was like 50 chapters from the current chapter now
>Megumi is still in the hero worship phase according to the author
The author stated that Megumi will one day fall in love with Soma but backed out of it and decided to just have her admire him. If he wanted Megumi to have feelings for Soma slight hints would've been shown by now and that was about 130 chapters from the current chapter the author stated that.
>Soma himself is only concerned with being the best cook, nothing else.
Well yea because this is Shonen but who knows, the author could do something new later on in the series
>>
>>159629801
>fact that Ichigo ends up marrying someone he has such little chemistry
People should realize that chemistry is something subjetive that is on the readers' view , not in the pairing itself, so it depends on what different people find charming in a relationship.
>>
>>159629801
>muh chemistry
Fuck off IRfag.
>>
>>159630400
>That was like 50 chapters from the current chapter now.
Yea, in a series that's only 200+ chapters long. It was literally less than a year ago.
>The author stated that Megumi will one day fall in love with Soma but backed out of it and decided to just have her admire him. If he wanted Megumi to have feelings for Soma slight hints would've been shown by now and that was about 130 chapters from the current chapter the author stated that.
I see this a lot, but I'm gonna need a source. All I know is that he said she's still simply admires him. Regardless, she hasn't shown any feelings for him yet because she's not the focus of the recent events, everything is focused on Erina's family issues, so Megumi's feelings don't really have a place in that.
>Well yea because this is Shonen but who knows, the author could do something new later on in the series
It could change, but it can equally not change if the author just wants to keep focus on the competition aspect of the series. Besides, I'm not talking about events that haven't happened yet, I'm talking about right NOW, and Soma has no interest in either Erina or Megumi romantically, because his focus is on being the best.
>>
>>159630656
I don't agree with the argument there, but more jarringly was the fact that any character development was abandoned as soon as the SS arc ended.
I mean why would you set up a "save the girl" scenario without taking into account the obvious implications?
>>
>>159630674
>I see this a lot, but I'm gonna need a source. All I know is that he said she's still simply admires him. Regardless, she hasn't shown any feelings for him yet because she's not the focus of the recent events, everything is focused on Erina's family issues, so Megumi's feelings don't really have a place in that.
Oh I see, you're a SoMegufag
>>
>>159630471
It may be subjective, but do you really feel like Ichigo and Orihime's relationship was all that fleshed out for them to end up being romantic partners in the end? Because personally, I didn't.

>>159630656
Man, I don't even give a fuck about shipping. I would preferred nobody ending up with anybody, that would have made more sense. I'm only calling out the actual writing in the series.
>>
>>159630755
>Points out that Megumi's feelings have no place in the current arc.
>SoMegufag.
>>
>>159630813
>>Points out that Megumi's feelings have no place in the current arc.
The thing is the author isn't aiming for any love interest between Soma and Megumi. For the past 130 chapters he established their Friendship and that's all, nothing romantic nor will it ever happen. The current arc in the manga is solely for Soma to get closer to Erina(to have a better understanding of her) stated by the author on twitter before.
>>
>>159630756
Yes I do think their relationship with developed enough. Those two went from mere acquaintances(even during this time Ichigo worried over Orihime and paid enough attention to her to know she got hurt a lot) to friends to nakama to partners during the Yhwach fight to lovers and then parents. Ichigo was prepared to die for her during the fight against her Hollow brother, which is something people seem to forget(and only bring up that he was prepared to Rukia during her rescue). He would get angry/annoyed with those that were mean to her(yelled at Yoruichi and told Tatsuki not to be so hard at her, funny coming from the guy that has no problem being rude to others when he feels they did something stupid) and was clearly depressed when she got kidnapped; visible eyebags from lack of sleep, and telling his friends to stay away from him. He goes through hell and back and even death to save her and she was the only he didn't purposely hurt during his Vasto lord form and even though he just had a hole in his chest, his first thought is Orihime and if she's okay. In the FB arc, he doesn't officially snap until tsukishima calls her and that's when he throws through the window and this is also the arc where we find they read the same manga so their interests align. Then the final arc comes and we have him blushing over her and when she cries, he shows his concern and then he finally decides to let her join him on the battlefield which is huge since the kid would freak out whenever she tried to help. They tagteam against Yhwach together and everything is going fine until Yhwach goes full despair.

That's just the iceberg of their relationship, but those two care so much for each other and have put each other's well-being over theirs and have been through a lot yet never drifted apart. They had a really nice relationship that was a great set up for a romantic one in my opinion.
>>
>>159626456
>I didn't understand the naruSaku thing until Kishi admitted he tried to bait them in order to build up interest in the series.

I think he was baiting pretty hard right after the timeskip happened. There was this arc where Naruto went nuts and into mini-foxmode during a fight against Oro. There was a scene right after he turned back when Sakura fretted over him and Captain Woodguy said something like "You may not have realized it yourself..." or somesuch, hinting at some subconscious feelings regarding Naruto. At that time I thought "ah, ok, they got older and she got over her crush and may come to like the guy who tried to move the world for her" and I fell for the false bait for a time. Kishimoto then dropped it later on and went back to ship Hinata and had Sakura revert to the utter Sasuke fangirl that she was pre-time skip, followed by the character assassination of Sakura with the fake confession scene.

I've come to dislike how authors aren't above romance shipping bait on multiple fronts, yet then don't have the balls to commit to some progress during the run and instead deliver some half-hearted wrap up in the final chapter. Sometimes not even that and the author needs an epilogue movie or a series of supplemental novels to tell the shit that should have been in the proper series. If what the anon I quoted said is true, then at least Kishimoto seemed honest enough to admit that he was baiting instead of going "lol it was always Hinata, habeeb it!" Made for a somewhat jarring reading experience though, as far as character motivation goes, in regards to Sakura.
>>
>>159621938
Shokugeki is such a big offender for this. I think it can be argued that it's 90% Erina 10% Megumi .anyone else doesn't stand a chance yet people will write page long essays on why Nikumi/Alice/etc is better.
>>
>>159631710
Alice is literally engaged to Dog.
>>
>>159630756
Nobody reads these, or at the very least the target audience don't, for "fleshing out" of anything romantic. That's the entire point of OP. If the author intended something from the beginning to be in that direction like, say, Inuyasha, great, that's good on them. But all shounen do is the bare minimum to indicate who the end pairing will be. And usually that pairing is obvious.

Whether or not people like you harp on it is generally of no concern to the author. Hell, I read in an interview that Toriyama only had Goku marry Chi-Chi because he didn't like her so he kept her around as a personal punishment to himself. While that's an extreme example, this is the kind of mindset that shounen creators have, at least in terms of battle shounen. Whether the writing itself is good or bad is a completely different conversation
>>
Why does everybody keep bringing up Shokugeki no Soma?
>>
>>159631710
>Nikumi/Alice/etc is better.
No one really ships Meat or Alice with Soma. No one actually belives Meat and Soma to ever be together (I hope so) so they just ship them together for the lolz. Alice is technically married to Ryo and people just ship her with Soma for the lolz as well because we all know they will never become a pairing.
>>
>>159631929
Shippers gotta ship.
>>
>>159631929
Read the thread retard >>159621938
>Let's talk about romance in shounen
>>
>>159631359
>>I've come to dislike how authors aren't above romance shipping bait on multiple fronts, yet then don't have the balls to commit to some progress during the run
Well the thing is they don't really have to. Would we like to see it? Well, that depends on the person. But ultimately, the target audience does not really care about it. Any sort of romance in these things are really just to drum up the older fans and if it's an ecchi manga, give kids their first boners.
>>
File: nom.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
nom.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>159626488
>there were people who thought that these two wouldn't get it on eventually
I mean I know /a/ loves to be contrarian by nature but come on this shit was literally spelled out since the beginning and even now some people here are still butthurt about it. Whenever I see people claiming that this was forced and came out of nowhere I can only shake my head in disbelief.
>>
>>159632269
That's a seinen I think but yeah, that still applies. It feels like a new group of people is ready to kill themselves every week a new chapter comes out
>>
>>159621938
Alright shipping Nostradamus, what other couples do you predict?
>>
As far as Rukia and Ichigo are concerned, I think I always had a feeling that they had more of a buddy cop partnership like Murtaugh and Riggs from Lethal Weapon. They'd go through hell for each other and have seen each other at their best and worst, but they never seemed actually attracted to each other. Just best of partners, though of opposite genders.

Orihime's role was pretty much cemented when the well known 5 lifetimes farewell scene happened. There were many scenes where she was set up storytelling-wise as "the one", thought Kubo shat the bed when he made the portrayal of Orihime's attraction almost completely one sided and we were never privy to Ichigo's thoughts an pretty much anything regarding romance, to the point where he almost seemed asexual, apart from one or two jokes involving Yoruichi. That fueled and gave ammunition to those who shipper Ichigo and Rukia as they always had the fallback argument "haha, ot's completely onesided, he doesn't react to her".

It's not that fucking hard to write cool romance in shounen battle manga. Take Nanatsu no Taizai, as far as romance is concerned, the pairings become pretty clear as the story goes on, some triangles turn up but get resolved and it's a pretty satisfying development for all pair-ups and you even start rooting for it as the author made sure we'd think of the current pairs as the best fit.

Another gripe of mine in many shounen romcoms is that an author spends so much page time on side girls or so called rivals, that they forget that their job is to make sure that the audience agrees that winner girl is indeed best girl, or at least best fit for mc. Instead we get arc after arc how various side girls are awesome and how their love is true and pure, so it feels like a a trashy move to leave the side girls in the dust.
>>
I'd like to remind everyone that you're replying to a pasta thread. Good bye and good luck.
>>
>>159632269
It was just badly developed. Their last moment in TG was when Kaneki left the club and they part on bad terms then she basically becomes irrelevant. When she finally shows up in RE:, she honestly doesn't do anything at all (they don't even have that many moments) and then all of a sudden they're having sex/getting pregnant and exchanging vows. If any Kaneki pairing was going to happen, it was going to obviously be Kaneki x Touka. I just didn't expect it to be so badly done, and so incredibly rushed. It was bizarre how fast Ishida did everything with them.
>>
>>159632408
Ichigo blushed a bit when he found out Kukaku was a girl, blushed a ton at a naked Yoruichi, was trying hard not to peek at Rangiku lifting her skirt up, blushed a bit at the Rukia peach comment, and blushed a ton when asked about Orihimes outfit.
>>
>>159632573
Yeah, a bit of joking about "lol what a strapping healthy lad", but no commitment. Wouldn't have killed Kubo to build up and show some earnest feelings build up through inner thoughts or somesuch, given how he did it for Orihime. I guess the only symbolic form of commitment I can think of was when he came back in full hollow mode after Ulq shot him through the chest and Orihime screamed "Kurosake-fucking-kun" yet one more time. But again, no further evidence that she meant much to him, no inner thoughts or gestures afterwards, which again fired up the opposition with arguments like "He protects everyone! He'd done the same for Chad!" or "He did the same for Rukia, so nu-uh!".
>>
>>159632926
I mean the fact that he attacked Uryu in his Vasto Lord form but didn't attack Orihime and instead told her that he would protect her(hence keeping his promise to her that he made much earlier in the arc)was enough to let me realize that he felt differently for her than any other character. Also there was the fact that many of enemies used her to rile him up; for example during the Grimmjow fight, he mentions how he put a hole through Rukia but Ichigo doesn't react and he doesn't put on a "good fighting face" until Grimmjow tells him Orihime is fucked up inside or something like that. Also the scene where Tsukishima is in his living room surrounded by his brainwashed sisters and friends and it's only when he calls Orihime that Ichigo completely snaps and throws him into the window. Also in the FB arc, Chad tells Ginjou that he doesn't want Ichigo know that Orihime was hurt because he would unsettle him at this point. Also one big scene was how the moment Ulquiorra simply mentioned that he took Orihime to HM, Ichigo completely went rage mood and forgot about a basically dying Rukia. It always felt like Orihime was a major soft spot for him.
>>
>>159632400
Give me a shounen
>>
>>159632400
Deku x Ochako is set in stone along with Soma x Erina.
>>
>>159629117

>Romance in most japanese work is terrible becuase the japanese don't understand how a relationship should work so they just hastily pair up people at the end.

This.

And when it comes to women, Japan has NO clue.
>>
>>159633621
Roy/Riza is god-tier you pleb.
>>
>>159633506
One Piece
>>
What frustrates people about "the main girl always winning" is that the main girl is usually quite boring, intentionally. The author generally makes the main girl really generic so that it wont turn off anyone from starting the series. Think of Senjougahara in Bakemonogatari for example. Very few people would consider her their favorite, but at the same time most people consider her alright. So then it gets to the ending and the niche character with a deeper appeal to you gets blown the fuck out, and of course people get frustrated.
>>
>>159633693
Literally nothing, but Luffy x Hancock if Oda does decide to add romance for the MC. By romance I mean Hancock being the mother to his child and raising him while Luffy fucks off to do his own thing, or die in the end.
>>
>>159633693
Trick question. Oda won't do romance and he will keep that stance to the end. If he were to budge for any reason, it would be for Luffy and Hancock since that would just be easy but jury's out on whether Luffy will die at the end of the series or something
>>
>>159633790
crab was quite popular for a long time but her popularity has even died down in nipland
>>
>>159628136
I unironically like this pairing
>>
File: IMG_3975.jpg (84KB, 481x680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3975.jpg
84KB, 481x680px
>>159633907
Me too.
>>
>>159633365
I agree, Kubo did throw in these implied implications sort of things in, so Orihime/Ichigo did feel right to me as an endgame pairup, but I'm not quite sure why he felt the need to go through all these motions to show Ichigo's soft spot for her through all these indirect means, while he went full out love confession for Orihime. I think it was a bad call on his part to think this is where he ought to apply subtlety and indirectness, especially going by the insane amount of arseblasted shipperwars that this caused all through the entire run. Or Kubo or his editor simply wanted to bank in on the shipping wars and were too pussy to go more overt, for fear interest may decline.
>>
>>159633907
Ever since the Renji flashback, it's alwasy been my favorite. You'd have to be a jerk to take that away from him
>>
>>159629204
>It was fleshed out as namaka, so people simply ignored this and thought that because they were a male and a female their relationship had to be romantic
It's just that people have a much easier time accepting things like death-gods with magic swords than thinking friendship between a man and a woman can be real, suspension of disbelief and all that.
>>
>>159634210
I think it was the latter. Even though shippers like any other shonen fanbase aren't the majority, they certainly are the most vocal; Kubo without a doubt knew that for the shippers Ichiruki was the preferred pairing which is why I think he didn't want to add a more direct Ichigo-->Orihime moment like a confession because he knew how his fanbase would react. I mean the moment Ichigo confessed or even had some internal monologue about how he realized he likes Orihime then it was truly over for them. After the SS arc, the Ichigo and Rukia relationship stayed the same and their interactions lessened big time especially in the last two arcs which is why I think he gave them colorspreads to keep them quiet and appeased; those colorspreads literally have nothing to do with the canon story, but IR shippers ate them up and waved them as victory signals all while ignoring that Orihime basically took the heroine role and was getting more moments with Ichigo.

Kubo likes the IR bond and is quite proud of it since they're of the opposite of sex and so close despite having no romantic ties, but just doesn't like the idea of them together. I think their final interaction is very clear with this since they're shown once again arguing but this time it's about their different partnering skills which I felt was to show how they're better off as nakama.
>>
File: allthatshit.jpg (125KB, 643x744px) Image search: [Google]
allthatshit.jpg
125KB, 643x744px
>>159621938
>>
File: tumblr_onskv8m1yS1uuz8h0o1_1280.jpg (697KB, 1174x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_onskv8m1yS1uuz8h0o1_1280.jpg
697KB, 1174x1920px
>>159621938
OP, takes pic related for example, ofc that is the canon pairing that's really easy to understand in battle shonen but people fall for ship-tease trope with another charaters to fool audiences.
The problem with some pairings like pic related is that we don't know if they'll actually end together. Gintama is even worse because of the trolling nature of it's writing.

Personally I don't care if they end together I just want Sorachi to give us an end for their subplot.
>>
>>159634681
As far as the romance goes, I'm kinda sad that Kubo wasn't able to define the character roles more clearly earlier on, Rukia as the "nakama" and Orihime as the love interest. I think he did the nakama dynamic with Rukia pretty well and if he could have integrated the romance more clearly into the story as well, it would have elevated the overall integrity of the story.

To go back my earlier example, NnT, I really enjoy the various pairs and how they grow as characters as they pursue their respective loves and it fleshes the characters out and shows more facets of them even defines their motivations. The attraction or bond between Orihime and Ichigo was also an important part of who they were and who they became, so it would have been cool to see that aspect get the prominence it should have had, especially since Kubo is pretty good with the mushy stuff when he wants to, e.g. the 5 lives speech or his poems.

Oh well, could've, should've.
>>
>>159633828
>Oda won't do romance and he will keep that stance to the end
If only One Piece's retarded fanbase would realize that.
>>
>>159633907
It's the second most popular Bleach pairing in Japan.
>>
>>159635897
Source?
>>
>>159635897
How did Bleach manage to avoid the fujo menace?
>>
>>159635953
But it didn't. Kubo just didn't give a fuck.
>>
>>159635937
Official polls or something.

Ichihime is 26th.
>>
>>159636136
I think thats just something ichiruki fans made up.
I havent been able to find a source for that except forthe ichiruki tumblr blogs.
>>
>>159636127
In this day and age it's almost impossible having a shonen series where a fujo pairing isn't the most popular one.
>>
It's honestly simple.
Character likes MC from very early on? Congratulations, they're probably going to win.
>>
>>159636643
In Blue Exorcist is the main character who likes a girl a lot, so she will end with him, I suppose.
>>
>>159636944
Shiemi, right? Haven't read it in a while but that's the impression I got too.
>>
>>159636643
What if a couple of characters like the MC from very early on and they're all main characters?
>>
>>159621938
>Shounen are predictable with this shit
Shounen is predictable with everything, you fucking retard. It's made for small boys.
>>
>>159637143
That seems rather rare but the one most plot relevant is probably taking it.
>>
>>159637143
Then you are probably reading haremshit.
>>
I find it funnier when people say romance doesn't exist in shonen. Obviously it's not a central point (most of the time, stuff like Taizai makes it important) but more often than not there's characters who fall in love. Even newer shonen series seem to bring the topic up, don't Neverland and Kimetsu?
>>
>>159637447
>I find it funnier when people say romance doesn't exist in shonen
Most of the time romance doesn't exist but pairings do. See Dragon Ball.
>>
>>159637512
Ah, you know what I meant. People saying pairings won't happen just because the series isn't about them.
>>
>>159621938
Nisekoi was great
>>
>>159624269
>orihime was pretty blatently the love interest since the start
No
Orihime liked Ichigo but this didn't turn serious until Soul Society
Not to mention that Ichigo was a gay piece of shit who never showed interest in women.

Kubo's writing is horrible. He could have given them some cute moments which showed Ichigo had feelings for Orihime but noooooooo
>>
>>159637693
To be fair, no one is saying it was "good". People are saying it was obvious.
>>
>>159626343
>the expectation that to be different
This is only a thing in these cancerous times we live in nowadays.
People used to enjoy shit for what it was back in the day and didn't look for stuff to bitch about where there wasn't any.
>>
>>159637751
Except not really. The series could have easily been concluded with Ichigo being a virgin and it wouldn't feel out of place.
>>
>>159636944
In Hitman Reborn the main character, Tsuna, likes a girl since the start but another girl likes tsuna, but the author left that unsolved. It's more frustrating when they leave it open.
>>
>>159637815
Yes but the sole fact that Kubo put someone in there who really wanted to suck Ichigo's dick from early on was a giveaway as to what his intentions were.
Was it shitty? As far as I'm concerned, yes. But it is what it is.
>>
>>159636643
>Character likes MC from very early on? Congratulations, they're probably going to win.
Onodera
>>
>>159636136
There is literally no official Bleach poll for pairings; Bleach ran in JUMP, and JUMP has never held a pairing poll. The one you're talking about is a fanmade one.
>>
You're looking at this the wrong way. No one is actually surprised the main girl wins. They just desperately want a more deserving girl to win, because more often than not, the main girl is a walking pile of trash.
>>
>>159637075
Wasn't there some shit about she doesn't like anyone romantically since she's too young?
>>
>>159637911
I think Beyblade did the same thing despite ending with all the characters having kids.
>>
>>159637949
But that's a case of >>159637143. In which case, >>159637256 applies.
>>
>>159635400
I think he did since Orihime was introduced with a crush on Ichigo that later turned into love while Rukia simply stayed his nakama.
>>
>>159637593
Great pile of shit maybe
>>
>>159637973
I didn't get that far, actually, but I heard about this briefly. I assume she'll just get past that.
>>
>>159637983
What beyblade you talking about? IN the original I don't remember they showing kids at the end
>>
How did Beelzebub end regarding romance? I think he didn't end with anyone, but was there something implied I am forgetting?
>>
>>159638113
The manga
>>
>>159637911
Most of Reborn's fanbase was fujoshi, so there's no way it'd end with Tsuna in a confirmed hetero relationship.
>>
>>159621938
Man, you read a lot of shit series.
>>
>>159629801
>chemistry

I'd change this to character interaction, but otherwise I agree.
>>
It's kinda sad to realize fairy tail wins at romance by being the only one who tries.
>>
File: Shipper tears.png (471KB, 1723x595px) Image search: [Google]
Shipper tears.png
471KB, 1723x595px
>>159629801
>his relationship with Orihime is pretty underdeveloped

The entire plot was pretty underdeveloped.
>>
File: QUALITYPOST.jpg (160KB, 818x264px) Image search: [Google]
QUALITYPOST.jpg
160KB, 818x264px
>>159626545
>>159623048
I agree with these
>>
>>159638620
Why was Himefags crying in 2008?
>>
>>159624269
I really disagree with this. I felt that from the beginning Ichigo and Rukia were a pretty obviously implied romance. They had a same-roof situation, became identity bound (Shikigami), and the first arc is a rescue the princess arc where he goes to rescue Rukia.

Yes, Orihime then gets her own rescue arc, that is when I feel they shifted the romantic focus, but when you see that they had to shift the entire plot pattern and basically do a repeat of an arc, I feel it was a very conscious pivot, rather than something planned from the beginning.

Let's be honest though, the series itself is a wreck in terms of plot. It was cool and novel when it was a show about dealing with hollows, a sort of trippy version of Ghost Busters. It then went to shit when it became about bankais and a hundred rehashed transformations.

The series itself seems unplanned and pivots a lot, so it is not a stretch to say that it did look like Rukia was intended at the start and then a pivot happened.
>>
>>159638758
Rukiafags were everywhere on /a/ back then.
>>
>>159637143
There's usually one earlier than the others or at least more important than the others (not the childhood friend)
>>
>>159637196
>Shounen is predictable with everything, you fucking retard.
No shit. Did you read the whole thing?
>>
>>159638949
The only thing that really surprised me about Bleach was that Kubo never revealed a Super Bankai or Bankai 2 or anything like that.

Although actually now that I think about it, Ichigo's mugetsu was pretty much exactly that
>>
>>159638949
>obviously implied romance
>literally calls him a kid in the first chapter reminding us of the mental age difference
Anon please. On top of that Orihime is introduced with feelings for Ichigo that grew into genuine love.

>inb4 Masaki/Isshin
Sure she was a human and he was a shinigami, but the relationship was different. Isshin literally leaves his position in SS along with his family to live in the human world, and eventually be with Masaki which was his main thought in leaving SS. From what little we're told Isshin immediately falls for her whereas that doesn't happen with either Ichigo or Rukia. Sure the rescue parallel is the same, but then you have Ichigo throw Rukia to Renji and with a smile on his face he tells him that it's his job to protect her; compare that to the scene before Ichigo goes up to the dome to fight Ulquiorra, he tells Uryu to protect Orihime no matter what with his face not shown and a very heavy atmosphere around his figure.

The Orihime rescue arc feels a lot more like a princess rescue arc than the Rukia one.
>>
>>159621938
>Shounen are predictable with this shit
Agree, though what happened in Digimon still came off as a surprise
>>
Chitoge is a miracle of the universe.
>>
File: TpquV3m.jpg (124KB, 632x1220px) Image search: [Google]
TpquV3m.jpg
124KB, 632x1220px
>>159639622
Also Erina
>>
>>159639896
Tosh better not fucking draw my Chitoge with a retard face ever again. Komi draws far better facials.
>>
>>159638949
which one was more popular in the last poll?
>>
>>159639622
Chitoge a shit. So annoying how she got angry over the tiniest things and was ready to go off at any moment. The only
time I enjoyed her character was when she was interacting with other girls since she was more laid back and nice.
>>
>>159640031
>Tosh better not fucking draw my Chitoge with a retard face ever again.
Niskoi is dead so him not drawing Chitoge will not be a problem
>>
>>159640057
Toshiro came in first in the last official popularity poll. In the 13th blades handbook, another popularity poll was held but only for the Shinigami characters; Rukia was first while Toshiro was second. The handbook came out after she released her bankai so I'm sure that helped out. If a new official popularity poll were to happen then I think Toshiro would get first especially since nips definitely ate up his bankai reveal that made him age. He's ridiculously popular with them for some reason.
>>
>>159637954
>They just desperately want a more deserving girl to win, because more often than not, the main girl is a walking pile of trash.
OP here. I don't think any of the pairings I posted up at the top were particularly bad. Usually the "trash" stuff comes from harems. I am a Chitogefag by the way
>>
I don't get why people who aren't literally children care so much about crappy shonen mangos to begin with. yeah ok you're an adult and can watch whatever you want, but it's really obvious with most of these that they're targeted at readers half your age.
>>
>>159640272
a lot of ichiruki fans were/are 30-40 year old landwhales that already have kids of their own
>>
>>159640330
I just don't get it. the only shonen mango I follow is shokugeki no soma because I like cooking and the girls are hot. I look through threads for some other series occasionally and it seems like they're all obsessed with power levels. it's always "x is stronger than y" and "there's no way x can beat z without training." this shit even gets dragged into shokugeki even though it's supposed to be about food. also whenever I see a character say "I want to get stronger so I can protect x" I want to stop reading.
>>
>>159635215
>Personally I don't care if they end together I just want Sorachi to give us an end for their subplot

yeah i think this is what bothers me the most, is when they have a implied romantic subplot but then there is just no closure. I fully expect gintama to go this route too. Really i think given that we are in the climax now and they havent even had a ship teasy moment of any kind in the final arc is proof that nothing will come of this.

My dream ending is still a timeskip foreword, and all the romantic pairings came true and theres a bunch of kids of all the character, then gin/tsu kid and kag/sou's kid form an odd jobs, except shinpachi is still alone so hes just forced to be some middle aged virgin teaming up with his former coworker's kids.
>>
>>159640272
Just because something is for younger audiences doesn't mean it has to be shit, or that you can't get invested in it. Some of the most solid shows I've seen have been aimed toward the tween+ group.
>>
>>159638618
What is Nanatsu no Taizai? Fairy Tail's romance sucks ass in comparison.
>>
>>159640272
True but a lot of us grew up with these series. We started reading them as kids and they finished in our early twenties or even later for other fans.
>>
>>159640272
Shounen may be targeted at the young but it's accessible to all for that same reason. Why do you think Kemono Friends got so popular

Just because it's for kids doesn't mean you have to be 2mature4it
>>
>>159641222
Kemono Friends aired in the middle of the night, and was targeted at adults who like the purity of kid's shows. It's actually a weird reversal the usual adults liking kids shows deal.
>>
File: Best end.png (473KB, 1092x674px) Image search: [Google]
Best end.png
473KB, 1092x674px
>>159621938
>Naruto and Sakura didn't end up together 3 years later and more recently

Those were good days on /a/. If only the NTR was real that would have been bless for /a/.
>>
>>159624269
I'd argue that there's also the "Second Girl wins" trope that got people hoping for a IchiRuki ending.
This happened in Nisekoi, Shakugan no Shana and, in a way, Naruto.
Usually the first girl that's introduced to the MC in the series is set up as a "Red Herring" to who the MC might end up with, with second girl being the winner. Orihime being first girl and Rukia being Second Girl.
Also, Kubo teased us a LOT with his art.
>>
>>159641770
>This happened in Nisekoi
The very first girl Raku sees is Chitoge.
>>
>>159639144
Agree, I thought we were going to get SSJ type stuff once it headed that direction.

>>159639473
The thing is, the more classic pattern in anime and particularly shounen is to pair two characters that clash at first and have that kind of chemistry, like Erina and Souma. Orihime was introduced in pattern that reminded me more of Nikumi, the friend with a crush. Think about the level of change that needed to happen to turn her into the heroine-- she had to gain powers out of nowhere and then they had to repeat an arc.

My guess is that you pointed out the part where the decision was made-- when Ichigo tosses her to Renji. Once we enter the Orihime rescue arc, it is clearly over and Orihime has won, but it felt very contrived. I stopped watching, not because of objections to the pairing, but because I could not bear to do another rescue arc and had reached anime filler.

Ultimately, the series is just not worth watching. It is not about the pairings, but about how dragged out the whole thing became. They wanted to keep sales going and they did, but the quality really suffered for it.
>>
Shippers follow no logic. Muh feelings and muh emotions > objective facts.
>>
I've enjoyed the tears of NaruSaku, IchiRuki and HakuMor shippingfaggots so far.

How many shipperfaggots tears have you drank until you couldn't anymore /a/?
>>
>>159642644
No wonder you thought Ichiruki would happen. The anime either cut or changed early Ichihime scenes, and added a TON of IR fillers. The anime was very bias towards Ichiruki and Ruki in general.

The relationship between Ichigo and Rukia honestly felt like a mentor one to me after the SS arc. Sure they had their nice moments, but a lot of their relationship was just constant arguing/insulting + yelling/hitting especially the latter from mostly Rukia and they didn't have as many soft/sweet moments to balance it out which is what usual happens with those type of bickering relationships; for example Raku and Chitoge had a shit ton of bickering moments but they always had a soft moment at the end of the arc or chapter to balance it out.
>>
>>159631893
Toriyama hated romance and didn't think anyone reading Shonen Jump cared about it, it was all his editor's idea...it's why in Dr. Slump things take a huge tonal shift halfway through and suddenly it's all about romance, that was his editor...granted, in that case, I think the whole Obotchaman/Arale thing was one of the best plotlines in the series but it is weird to think it was written by a guy who was just doing what his editor told him to (since it was also his editor who told him to make Arale the main character when he wanted Senbei)
>>
>>159638949

>Let's be honest though, the series itself is a wreck in terms of plot

It's not the first time that I see it in a manga. An example of this problem is the manga of Tokyo Ghoul where the author didn't know which would be the main engine of the plot for the story (Rize or the Owl) and oscillates between the two things through his manga, this error happens usually when the author hasn't written the whole story on paper before beginning to draw it, it is likely that this was the case of Bleach since it is a really long shounen.

Now talking about the ships, sometimes they are changed when advancing the project, that was the case of Digimon Tamers (anime without a manga), in this anime the author had a preference for Ruki / Rika as the ship of the main character, he described to Jeri as "unnecessary", "her was not supposed to be important" or "a whim", it is very possible that the decision of using Jeri as the partner for protagonist was influenced by Bandai, because the company had great participation in the development of the anime, affecting its plot, characters (Ryo wasn't supposed to exist was placed to announce the games, the author says he doesn't like him, and he didn't want to write a single scene of this character. He was always looking for ways to rid of Ryo), etc. ... The conflicts of ideas between the author and the company are visible throughout the whole anime even in the ship things.
>>
>>159641770
>This happened in Nisekoi
No
>Shakugan no Shana
Never bet against someone who's name is in the title of the show
>>
>>159633506
Yuragi so Yuna
>>
>>159643437
Nah since Orihime was introduced with feelings for Ichigo and then confessed a little over 200 chapters. Orihime being the only one to have a genuine love towards the MC and have the only confession towards him already made her the endgame. Some would even say she was the endgame since the pilot since she has feelings for Ichigo there as well and Ichigo was teased about liking her back, from Rukia no less.
>>
>>159640177

I mean between the two girls... which one was more popular in the last poll?

If Rukia was less popular than Orihime then this is this could be how the case of Naruto (where Hinata was chosen because she was more popular). If Orihime was less popular then this is a different case than Naruto.
>>
>>159642825
Some, but I particularly enjoyed the Hakumorfags despairing. That pairing was fucking stupid.
>>
>>159643724
Harem series don't count
>>
>>159643764
Rukia was and will always be more popular than Orihime, and this is coming from an Orihimefag. Orihime constantly made the top ten, but Rukia constantly made the the top five and always got first place in the Valentine day polls that SJ would hold every year.
>>
File: 1494851241734.jpg (61KB, 702x562px) Image search: [Google]
1494851241734.jpg
61KB, 702x562px
>>159643728

It's sounds logical for me. Maybe the author doubted about this issue at some point (not much, maybe just an arc) or didn't have many ideas to start a plot and that would explain why it repeats the "princess in danger" thing.
>>
>>159643983

I see.
>>
I'm a little worried about Gintama...the character's relationships were what helped make the series so great but after 100+ chapters of non-stop fighting, a lot of that has gone out the window and no matter how any pairings would go, it would feel hollow

I really hope he just goes the troll route, like everyone ends up single in the future or paired up with characters we've never met but sadly I think Sorachi would be too scared to do anything like that in the end after he's put so much work into the final arc
>>
>>159644000
Actually Orihime was suppose to do something during her arc which was to destroy the hogyoku so she could lead assistance to her friends, but Kubo never went back to it and basically dropped that plot-point.
>>
>>159621938
>Shounen are predictable
You read shounen hoping for unpredictability? Or expecting it?

And other people are the stupid ones?
>>
>>159644235
Will you dumbasses read the entire post before making sick zingers?
>>
>>159633506
Kimetsu no Yaiba
>>
>>159638042
THK, it has been a long time.

As shitty as it was, at least the main couple in Nisekoi was decently developed. Things were rushed after Marika rescue arc because of WSJ execs wanting to end the manga after becoming a recurrent of the ToC's Bottom 5
>>
>>159642156
>The very first girl Raku sees is Chitoge.
He's had a crush on Onodera since middle school, before the events of Nisekoi
>>
>>159643483
>>This happened in Nisekoi
>No
Yes
>>Shakugan no Shana
>Never bet against someone who's name is in the title of the show
What is Akame ga Kill
>>
>>159644510
That's not what first girl wins means. It refers to the first girl the MC meets.
>>
>>159640062
But did you think why was she like that with Raku? I mean, that boy calls her a monkey woman in the 1st chapter. Her dad makes an arranged plan with Ichijou's dad without consulting them in order to stop a turf war in Bonyari. There's no way she was gonna get a good impression of Raku in the beginning. Shit, it was even incredible Komi managed to develop some chemistry between her and the fucking beansprout and making them getting along slowly.
>>
Since I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that a large majority of romances/ships people wanted where based on wanting "best girl" to win, can anyone recall the last time they supported one because they wanted the male counterpart to not end up alone at the end of the series.
>>
>>159644510
Which is why she was doomed from the start. Why do you think Komi had Kosaki confess AFTER Raku fell for Chitoge? If she confessed before then she would've won, and that was never the point of the series since Chitoge winning was always the point. Sure Kosaki had a ton of characters pushing for her victory, but Chitoge did as well(princess chitoge/marika/tsugumi/yui to an extent) and it's obvious that Komi is a huge Chitogefag.
>>
>>159644595
I honestly can't ship anything if I don't care for the other character to some extent. If you ship for just one characters happiness then you obviously just don't want them to end up alone and/or have their longtime feelings returned.
>>
>>159644611
I agree, which goes to my primary point of the "Second Girl Wins" trope.
>>
>>159644554
>What is Akame ga Kill
akame was never a love interest you sperg
>>
>>159644683
Chitoge was the 1st girl Raku met. The flashbacksmade very clear Raku met her when she fell in that hole and he went to rescue her (and getting that Goku-esque scar in his head)
>>
>>159644683
But chitoge really isn't the second girl. She's the second girl when it comes to love since it was confirmed that Raku did love Kosaki and it wasn't a mere crush, but she was always the main girl.
>>
I probably would have been pretty salty about Kenshiro x Lin at the time, letting her be brainwashed to love Bat was pretty shit and that whole final love arc was unnecessary garbage

Even though Rokudenashi Blues was about Chiaki and Taison for 400+ chapters and the last arc he once again had to beat the shit out of a guy who wanted to steal her, at the end I'm pretty sure it was left totally open-ended that they might get together for real (even though their friends had a kid together)

Yugi and Anzu just, like, what even happened there (though I think the anime made that worse, making it confusing who she was even in love with)

Assassination Classroom seemed to go out of its way to make sure things were ambiguous enough that everyone would be mad because you couldn't prove anything was resolved at all

Looking at just Shonen Jump, the Naruto/Hinata, Sakura/Sasuke, Ichigo/Orihime and Rukia/Renji pairings are some of the only ones that ever seemed to be what the story wanted all along so they never bothered me (but the stories also lost their way long before the end so why even give a shit?)
>>
>>159644391
Uh, that's easy there was already a bonus chapter that confirmed it would be Tanjiro + Kanao (and Nezuko + Zenitsu will probably happen too)
>>
>>159644770
Kenshin x Kaoru is pretty good. I'll always prefer him with Tomoe though.
>>
File: onodera's first appearance.jpg (166KB, 800x1164px) Image search: [Google]
onodera's first appearance.jpg
166KB, 800x1164px
>>159644761
>>159644764
I guess I was unclear, say you read the first chapter for the first time, no one knows about the backstory yet. Yes he meets Chitoge first, but it's clear that he has known Onodera for a longer time, that's what's implied. At this point, Raku and Chitoge just met for the first time, while he and Onodera have known each other longer, making Chitoge second girl.
>>
>>159645093
Then it's revealed that Chitoge was actually the first girl he met, but simply can't remember.
>>
>>159645093
being introduced first in the story != being first girl
>>
>>159644770

>Yugi and Anzu just, like, what even happened there (though I think the anime made that worse, making it confusing who she was even in love with)

She was in love with Yami, right?
>>
>>159644764
Onodera was just a crush. There wasn't solid foundation to that crush besides of being "muh traditional, hyper cute and hyper feminine japanese submissive waifu".

Raku ending up with the gorilla was the most reasonable choice because it was love raised from learning to know her and starting to notice her good points (being spontaneous, loyal, fun, earnest) above her nasty ones (tsunnie, hot blooded, manly, prideful, impatient, prone to sulking) and viceversa.

PD: i was smoking and drinking hard when writing this. So the grammar is kinda screwed up.
>>
>>159645171
That is exactly what it refers to. There's a ton of series out there where the MC is already in love with or has a crush on a girl he's friends with at the start, but who does he actually meet first thing in the story? The girl he ends up with. See Toradora for a popular example.
>>
So what other shipper will get BTFO soon?
From any show.
>>
>>159646040
The closest to end are Fairy Shit and Gintama but I don't think there's ship wars there.
>>
I feel the urgent need to lay in bed all curled up with maximum comfyness while I read Nisekoi. First time it ever happens.
>>
File: Pokémon.600.1989376.jpg (122KB, 531x600px) Image search: [Google]
Pokémon.600.1989376.jpg
122KB, 531x600px
>>159621938
And then this happens.
>>
>>159646040
>Souma x Megumi
>Natsu x Lisanna/Wendy
>Bakugou x Uraraka/Midoriya x Tsuyu

The only aime series with shounen elements (although they aren't shonen) that were really unpredictable about pairings were Dgimon Adventure (Edgy loner wolf got the girl istead of retardedly happy-go-lucky MC, however MC maybe will get a consolation prize), Inazuma Eleven (latino fanbase got it worse. Almost everything were expecting the purple-haired childhood friend or the dark-green-haired first girl to win the MC, but the red-headed tsunnie ojou with the tsurime eyes won him in the end).

99% of the shounen series are predictable as fuck when pairings are discused. Unpredictability is more of a kodomo or seinen thing.
>>
>>159646267
Funny, albeit sad because Dawn and Misty were the girls who had better chemistry with the eternally pikasexual MC.
>>
>>159646267
Pokemon isn't shounen afaik
>>
>>159646267
a) Pokemon will never end
b) The girl that kissed him (and only one that is canonically attracted to him) is still the one with the biggest chance
>>
File: 1499656364968.gif (1016KB, 332x332px) Image search: [Google]
1499656364968.gif
1016KB, 332x332px
>>159646267
May best girl.
>>
>>159646803
Fuck off, Scott
>>
>>159645340
It was confirmed that he loved Kosaki. He literally tells her " I also loved you" after her confession.
>>
>>159647533
bad translation afaik. Raku never used "daisuki" or one of the derivations of "ai suru" when refering to either Kosaki or Kirisaki. Only suki.
>>
File: augghg.jpg (162KB, 748x1200px) Image search: [Google]
augghg.jpg
162KB, 748x1200px
>>159644770
>Even though Rokudenashi Blues was about Chiaki and Taison for 400+ chapters and the last arc he once again had to beat the shit out of a guy who wanted to steal her, at the end I'm pretty sure it was left totally open-ended that they might get together for real (even though their friends had a kid together)
Seriously? What the fuck. Just like KKOW and Cheeky Angel
>>
>>159644770
I don't understand why they needed to never actually resolve pairings at the end of the manga. Like, it's a work of fiction, characters can at least get together instead of ambiguous blue balling
>>
>>159646297
>Inazuma Eleven
Natsumi literally only won because she was the only one who couldn't cook, Fuyuppe and Aki would've been boring housewives in comparison (Hino's words). Aki made sense because she was the original canon endgame as well as Kanon's great grandmother. Fuyuppe made sense because she was introduced out of nowhere as Endou's childhood friend in the third game.

It doesn't matter after Hino introduced the AU timeline element anyway. Kanon doesn't exist in the GO universe with the Second Children and whatnot.
>>
>>159638197
Nothing happened. There wasn't anything implied either, unless you think Hilda traveling with Oga, Beel, and Beel's sister meant something.
>>
>>159640684
>Really i think given that we are in the climax now and they havent even had a ship teasy moment of any kind in the final arc

Tsukuyo did admit when she came to the battlefield that she was really doing it because she loves Gintoki, so that's something.

Also there was a tease when everyone was going to sleep and a drunk Tsuki approached a drunk Gintoki in bed, but the next chapter went maximum troll.
>>
>>159628487
Dunno if it's already posted in the thread but:

http://imgur.com/a/XKwJ4/#0
>>
>>159650496
Got anything about the Touka situation from TG? I avoided it, but I can't believe people actually sent the author death threats.
>>
>>159650548
No, but here's Bleach.
>>
>>159650548
>but I can't believe people actually sent the author death threats.
I especially like how they thought they had any right to tell him anything when they don't pay jack shit for his work and read it illegally across the globe
>>
>>159650548
>>159650638
Whoops. Here ya go https://m.imgur.com/gallery/XcMWY

There's also a Magi one for when Mor and Ali got engaged.
>>
>>159621938
This is why I like Shaman King in this regard. No one got assblasted the Yoh ended up with Anna.
>>
File: kanye shrug.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
kanye shrug.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>159650750
Yoh and Anna where engaged since before the series started and actually loved and supported each other. There wasn't really much to debate.

Ren Tao and Jeanne marrying, having a kid and Jeanne dying (all happening off panel) did raise some eyebrows because it came so out of the left field, though.
>>
>>159650750
She was his fiancee since the beginning of the series, it can't get any more obvious than that.

Though I am sure that it was still filled with fujos pairing Yoh with his evil twin or with any of the other guys.
>>
>>159635953
AizenxIchigo and GrimmjowxIchigo 4life
The fujo pairings are just too aesthetically pleasing to care about ship wars.
>>
>>159651584
Yeah, he occasionally got paired with Hao, Ren, Lyserg, sometimes Horox2 and occasionally with Manta.

But Ren/Horo/Ren was the fujo otp.
>>
>>159637930
>someone in there who really wanted to suck Ichigo's dick
There are alot of characters who fit this description.
>>
>>159638758
"Fade to black" movie happened.
>>
>>159638197
>>159650321
The author actually said Oga has no interest in romance and that he'd never end up with any girl. Oga is fighting sexual. It was in French during Japan Expo but you can find it in the archives.
>>
File: busou renkin.jpg (14KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
busou renkin.jpg
14KB, 500x280px
So can we all agree this was the exception?
>>
>>159645093
Sure. If you ignore the oneshot and how Onodera is Raku delusions materialized.
>>
>>159642825
I'm waiting for Lunami, Luffy x Nami, tears, they have all symptoms of delusional shippers, but it's still a long time until One Piece end
>>
>>159638949
To rescue and protect people is Ichigo's thing, it's what his character is about.
Rukia's rescue didn't have romantic implications because neither character showed romantic interest in each other, but Orihime's rescue was given romantic undertones since the moment that Orihime confessed her love for Ichigo before being kidnapped, and because she had a crush on Ichigo before. People should read taking in consideration all picture.
>>
>>159644554
The editors decided to put her name in the title. It was never actually going to be about Akame.
>>
>>159650750
They were engaged before the series even began
There were some Tamaofags tho but they were in the minoirty
>>
>>159650959
>Ren Tao
It's Tao Ren you baka gaijin
I remember Jeanne sort of blushing when she revived him... damn Ren he got best girl plus he has hot Onee-san
>>
>>159638042
Fuck off Doormatfag
>>
>>159653172
Fuck, was it that long ago? I feel so old
>>
>>159640272
It's the only stuff that consistently gets translated.
>>
The only solution that can solve Gintama shipping problems is to kill Gintoki.
>>
>>159640062
But it was funny as fuck. Raku triggered her so hard.
I love how in Nisekoi when Chitoge punches Raku it's rarely ever because "LOL muh accidental pervert/misunderstandings trope xD" which was never funny and it was almost always because Raku triggers Chitoge in some way by being stupid or insulting her(such as when she's in a bad mood he thinks she's hungry which is hilarious)
>>
>>159640177
>He's ridiculously popular with them for some reason.
Fujos
>>
>>159646376
>pokemon isn't shounen
>>
>>159655093
>Lunami
Literally the Goku/Bulma of One Piece.
>>
>>159654313
Not exactly. There wasn't really any challenge otherwise to those two
>>
>>159624269
The problem with Bleach was that Orihime was the love interest but Kubo did absolutely nothing to establish it in-universe. IchiHime happened through sheer meta, and because Kubo is a hipster who wanted the MC and feMC to be friends instead of lovers. As a consequence the characters come off as puppets in Kubo's hand instead of realistic characters with their own human desires. Just think - Rukia lived in Ichigo's closet for three months, and according to some omakes, he even stood guard when she took baths at night. Is he fucking gay?

It felt even worse since Kubo dedicated so many pages of the last chapter on stuff that before then wasn't relevant at all to the story instead of explaining some more important things.
>>
>>159637512

>See Dragonball

Gohan & Videl and Krillin & 18 had an oncreen romance
>>
>>159657578
>Krillin & 18
Now I like these two but their entire interaction goes like this
>18 kisses Krillin on the cheek
>This leads to him not blowing her up, which leads to Cell becoming Perfect
>He holds on to her when SS2 Gohan makes Cell puke her up
>She says thanks when she gets the bomb taken out of her chest

Now, there's a whole 7 years inbetween there but the point is, there wasn't really a lot of substance especially considering this was one entire arc
>>
>>159657489
>Kubo is a hipster who wanted the MC and feMC to be friends instead of lovers. As a consequence the characters come off as puppets in Kubo's hand instead of realistic characters with their own human desires
I found credible that Ichigo and Rukia were just friends, or rather nakama, because that is the only impression I got from their relationship, even though when I knew that the main characters in Bleach were a boy and a girl I was waiting that the author was going to put romance between them because of that cliche, but I couldn't see romance in their relationship, so Kubo conveyed their relationship as just important nakama pretty well in my opinion. To me their relationship just like that was simply natural, and the forced had been to try to put romance between them
>>
>>159657489
You know all that you typed is why I felt Ichigo and Rukia were good friends than romantic
>>
>>159647655
好き is also used to express romantic love.
>>
If there's something I don't like about romance - where it's in shounen or not - it's that they always get together at the end, and then the manga ends. It's implied that they will live happily ever after, even though everyone knows that's bullshit.
They should show us how Naruto goes through a midlife crisis, and wonders whether he was ever meant to be with Hinata. He could hang out with Sakura more often, and have like a moment where they have a one night stand (Sasuke's been gone for too long after all), and then they never talk about it again out of shame. Or Hinata might have doubts about this jackass Naruto who's always working, and so she thinks about other men like Shino or Kiba. But then she decides to stay with Naruto because of the children.
It would add some realism to the romance because that's how it is IRL
>>
>>159659755
How does JDrama handle Romance?

How does the average Japanese marriage play out?
>>
>>159659755
This is why they don't have people who think like this write manga for children.
>>
>>159659755
Then that wouldn't be a battle shonen, that would be a josei
>>
>>159638949

Ichigo and Rukia was obviously more "bromance" than romance.
>>
>>159621938

Because shippers are clinical retards. In fact, anyone who imposes their own will on a work instead of trying to understand the author's, in any medium, is a fucking retard.
>>
>>159650025
>Natsumi literally only won because she was the only one who couldn't cook, Fuyuppe and Aki would've been boring housewives in comparison (Hino's words).

LOL. So it was because of "m-muh humor". But that only proves that Inazuma Eleven was not very fond of abusing spokon cliché (MC ending up w/ 1st girl or childhood acquaintances are very common tropes in spokon manga, but not in nekketsu or harem series). Hino used the harem logic... and caused a bit of a shitstorm in latino and spic fanbases when the endgame was revealed (the anime adaptation helped A LOT. The 3 main girls sans Fuyuppe were very popular, but Natsumi was the most liked. Remember that 2ch poll).

IIRC, Endou's interaction with the tsunnie was literally proto-SouRina/watered down Harima x Eri, but with sakka instead of the cooking/clashing social classes element. Girl hated him and wanted to destroy his dreams, MC proves her wrong, she has a change of heart and uses her influence and money to do the impossible to win MC's heart. In the end, she kind of deserved it, because come on, the bitch went overseas to find MC's not-so-dead old geezer.

>>159654781
True. Raku learned what's real love... and in the hardest way possible. Team Onodera fags didn't realize a crucial thing about being in love is accepting the other's flaws (as ch. 227 states) and love the other because of how they are. Raku and Onodera weren't aware of each other's flaws and held each other into a very high pedestal, there wasn't real chemistry between them besides the promise (even Raku at one point said "fuck the promise" or something similar).

>>159656651
At least for me, it was funnier when Raku called out her bullshit and chewed her out in the Romeo and Juliet arc. At that point, Chitoge deserved that because at that point, Raku wanted to be his friend, but she treated him like shit (Raku shares some fault though. He literally insulted her in a subtle way and the gorilla got butthurt over it).
>>
>>159659368
Suki means "to like something/someone", it's not only romantic love related.
>>
>>159659368
I think the point was that suki can mean both romantic like but also just general like so there's a chance of misunderstanding when using just suki, while daisuki or ai usually leave little room for interpretation.
>>
>>159660844
>Natsumi was the most liked
Not at all. Even in the first poll hijacked by 2ch, the three managers received the around the same amount of votes. Kinako is by far the most popular InaEle girl and Haruna was the most popular Endou gen manager among the Japanese fanbase, she always got the most votes out of the girls in the Animage rankings.

In the recent Valentine's Twitter event that required actual effort to participate in, Haruna and Aki both ranked 39th with 19 chocolates each. Natsumi's rank was below 50.
>>
Anybody who seriously thought Onodera was gonna win didn't get the point at all.
>>
>>159650464
I mean I guess thats something but I meant they would of needed something of more substance than just establishing that the character we already know loves gintoki is in love with him. Cause If we didnt see something more from gin's side by now I really dont see how sa-chan or something doesnt have the same chance.

that said it is also in tsukuyo's favor that basically every character kind of has a pairing aside from a few.
>>
>>159661323
So in the end, it was all Hino's decision and sympathy of the moment for the tsunnie because of what was she doing.

Can't blame him, it's a show aimed at young children, so, comedy prevails. However, it was a huge fujofest. If it was for popularity, Endou shall've ended with either Kazemaru, Gouenji, Kidou, Tachimukai, Hiroto or Rococo.

>inb4 "I am in love, Endou-kun, with those eyes of yours. -t.Hiroto-

Now that Ina 11: SoA is about to air. Is Hino capable to retcon pairings and stick to the OG intended (Endou x that Sora Takenouchi-expy, Aki IIRC) or will he stick to the "gag couple"??
>>
I am consistently surprised with how much people are willing to watch or read something because of an either incredibly vague possibility of romance or an 100% chance of a romance. Especially since the most popular manga ever has almost no main character romance going on ever.
>>
>>159662011
Teenage girls and boys man
>>
File: 1498428027822.jpg (277KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1498428027822.jpg
277KB, 1280x720px
>>159662011
people like romance, it just generally improves a story for alot of people which if done well it really does. It just does a good job of amplifying emotions in alot of scenes especially sadder ones. It only really needs to be a background plotline to still work. Like one show I think recently massively improved by romance (not shounen) was uchouten kazoku, the main character's love interest and him dont even have that many scenes together but it amplifies the quality of both characters massively.

Now why someone would stick with something like fairy tail just to see a ship continue, fuck if I know. But its 100% reasonable that people can get really attached to these subplots in good shows.
>>
>>159662126
I'm not a teenager and I love romance in anime.
>>
File: gintamagif.gif (947KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
gintamagif.gif
947KB, 500x375px
>>159624204
>>159626140
>kaguraxsougo is downright imaginary and clearly was never intentional
I think Sorachi knows what words are and how to use them
>>
>>159661593
Can you explain that point? Because there's people that still can't get the hint. I got that, but I'm too drunk and not in the mood to blogpost.

At least, Komi wanted to develop chemistry, albeit abusing the cliché and being hung out by Jump deadlines.
>>
>>159662188
It's not about liking romance in anime. It's about expecting something more than it's offering. In the shounen demographic at least
>>
>>159662607
Edgy and hormone driven teenagers like romance the most. Shonen demographic doesn't resume to only the 9-12 years old demographic.
>>
>>159662011
I think people love more the possibility of romance, not the romance itself, they likes to headcanon the romance, how they like it, and to search for hints in the pairings that they like, etc, that is what makes people obsessed, when it's not clear.

Anyhow, the most popular shonen haven't became popular because of pairings or romance. It just that, as they are popular, the pairings in them are popular too.
>>
>>159659755
What can you expect for battle series aimed at 9-12 years old demographics??? Kids and tweens at that age aren't that mature or cynical enough to understand midlife crisis.
>>
>>159662294
Hey if you want to ship it go nuts, just dont get upset when nothing comes of it cause it was never meant to be a romantic relationship and nothing since this scene has even implied anything of attractions between these 2. They are friendemies and nothing more.
>>
>>159662167
If Benten loses I am not bothering watching the 2nd season of this.
>>
>>159662651
>Shonen demographic doesn't resume to only the 9-12 years old demographic.
No but it is the main one.
>>
>>159662294
ok spoonfeed me, how is this ship so popular. I seriously don't see it in the slightest. The only moment of their interaction that felt remotely ship teasing was during the reaper arc when kagura said she'd never get married and sougo said he'd take her as his wife but she'd be behind bars.
>>
>>159650688
FUCKING SHIPPERS, HOLY FUCK
>>
>>159664118
"But they're just tsundere"
>>
File: 1477698250644.png (263KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
1477698250644.png
263KB, 1000x562px
>>159646376
>Pokemon isn't shounen
>>
>>159664743
The thing is they really are. The problem with the shippers is there is no indication that there is romantic undertone behind their tsundere actions. Gintoki and Hijikata are also Tsun to one another, they treat eachother like shit and act like they hate eachother but in reality they genuinely respect eachother and are grateful for all the times they have helped the others out. Sougo and Kagura are the exact same, they treat each other like shit mainly cause they both have sadisitc sides but when push comes top shove they will back each other up.

Being tsundere doesn't mean romantic, both of these relationships are examples of a non-romantic version of this archetype. Otae is probably the only really romantic exmaple in the show cause of how harshly she treats Kondo even though Its basically confirmed she fell for him somewhere along the way.
>>
>>159657489
Ok IRfag.
>>
>>159664873
Pokémon is a kodomomuke anime, just like Doraemon, Rantaro and Anpanman. Now, fuck off.
>>
>>159664873
>>159656866
I think that what he means is that I'm pretty sure it's target is kodomo
>>
File: a09ee94e0e8c5227e449275b7007cae0.jpg (331KB, 1000x1350px) Image search: [Google]
a09ee94e0e8c5227e449275b7007cae0.jpg
331KB, 1000x1350px
I'm assuming it's because modern series want to have it's cake and eat it too

Look at Ranma. People want their pairings to happen, but you'd have to be silly to think to think that Ranma is going to get with Kodachi. Him and Akane are the focus, and their on-off relationship is the lynchpin of several other character's problems, and makes for the most hijinx and drama. Also, Ranma never really gets too far with any of the girls.

Whereas with modern series, it's like a fucking dicktease conga-line. We'll have characters taking baths with each other, rubbing each other, make up series based completely on a horseshit kissing/handholding mechanic and other nonsense....and then when the author is done with one, it's time to bring in the next chick. Look at Infinite Stratos. You'd have to be pretty stupid to think that this show isn't going to do the main character/main girl thing, especially since they're both Japanese, but nope. This show has gotta cycle through the girls over and over and over. That lazy piece of shit authro fucked up so badly from the start, that the French girl is the only girl that spent any genuine time with the moron main character, but here comes the cycle, and she gets shoved off, so we can move on to the next bitch.

Look how angry everyone was about Re/ZERO. If you've been around the block, you KNEW that Rem wasn't going to "win". But with the way series are written now, they tease you and then you don't get anything out of it. It's not going to stop until people aren't satisfied with shipping bait and fanart, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Read the signs, and hope the main girl isn't a stupid bitch, otherwise you're just setting yourself up for disappointment
>>
>>159665152
The thing is, the things you're talking about are LN harems which is a whole different story altogether.

Also Ranma is an interesting case as I never really found Akane all that interesting but she does essentially fit the subject of the OP in which "well it's pretty obvious what this manga is about right?"
>>
>>159629381
romance in naruto was the worst thing I have ever seen or read.
>>
File: 1348348584359.gif (116KB, 277x400px) Image search: [Google]
1348348584359.gif
116KB, 277x400px
>>159662011
>all those people being utterly buttblasted with Koe no Katachi being too subtle
>>
File: Busou.Renkin.full.90729.jpg (2MB, 2460x3502px) Image search: [Google]
Busou.Renkin.full.90729.jpg
2MB, 2460x3502px
>>159621938
Reminder of the best shounen romance.
>>
>>159660844
>it was funnier when Raku called out her bullshit and chewed her out in the Romeo and Juliet arc.
Way to fucking misread the manga you retard
In that arc Chitoge was seriously hurt because Raku told her he hated her in that beach chapter(at a delicate moment at that when she finally figured out that she was falling in love with him). Chitoge was a bitch in that arc but it's perfectly understandable.

The scene where Chitoge yells at him and then he hits back at her even harder and then she slaps him is obviously meant to be emotional...jesus christ how can you so horribly misinterpret an entire arc?
>>
>>159621938
Harems are only interesting if everyone has a chance. Just look at TWGOK. People ate shit, drama should be dramatic.
>>
File: 1486889947200.jpg (119KB, 905x881px) Image search: [Google]
1486889947200.jpg
119KB, 905x881px
>>159665920
>if everyone has a chance
What are you trying to implying?
>>
>>159665711
This is a person who is correct
>>
>>159640684
>yeah i think this is what bothers me the most, is when they have a implied romantic subplot but then there is just no closure.
The author of Sket Dance deserves to burn in hell for that blatant backpedalling at the end of the series
>>
>>159665826
Funny because, Raku, one of the shittiest MC, was one of the few main characters who had the balls to call the tsundere out of her bullshit. She even berated herself after slapping him.
>>
>>159665711
bummer that the series is godawful overall
>>
>>159667434

Well yeah, it's a shonen.
>>
>>159667434
I thought it was okay.
>>
>>159664118
I think it wasn't intended but there has been noticeably a lot more ship teasing between them in recent years. Sorachi is a writer who definitely responds to fan reactions.

I don't know call it reaching, but the cliff scene, the marriage talk, their final scene together in the shinsengumi farewell arc, him seeing through her fake illness before mentioning if they gave a shit about her gin/shin see through it too. Really they just get paired off alot in recent years in alot of comedy bits too. I just kind of see it as Sorachi never planned it and can't do romance to save his life but is trying to pander to it as best he can.

Gintama is gonna have one of those endings where everyone has kids in the future like bleach and naruto did. Mark my words.
>>
>>159665152
leaving in ambiguity lets the fans go wild with imagining shit while avoiding the hard work of having to actually write a romance and maybe disappoint people
>>
File: 13.jpg (28KB, 249x350px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
28KB, 249x350px
>>159668228
>can't do romance to save his life
sure thing anon
>>
>>159650688
You got a link to the Magi one by any chance?
>>
>>159665152
And sometimes the manga just completely derails, i.e. Negima.
>>
>>159668228
>Gintama is gonna have one of those endings where everyone has kids in the future like bleach and naruto did. Mark my words.

yeah and then it will be revealed to be a troll two pages later.
>>
Romance in Inuyasha was pretty different in this regard. All the pairings were established in the first 25 episodes, and they carried out the tension between Inuyasha and Kikyo constantly clashing over handling Naraku but not becoming enemies enough to break up completely and Inuyasha and Kagome in the present pretty well I think. I'm sad that they had to remove one of the girls to make the ending- I generally feel there is enough loophole and bullshit present in the story to make a polygamous relationship work.
>>
>>159661264
I speak Japanese. Sometimes even daisuki can mean non-romantic love. It's not a cut and dried boundary and it's based on context, but between a straight man and woman, if you say Xのことが好き, it's a safe bet that the person usually means love in a romantic way, and people won't usually casually say it because it's easy for the other party to interpret it in that way.
>>
>>159633821
>>159633828
>>159655093
>>159656911
Im actually in disagreement with you guys. Im not a Lunami shipper (actually im a Sanami shipper) but i try to be objective when figuring out which couples are endgame.
Lunami isnt anywhere in the manga but there is alot of it in the movies Oda has a role in. Oda even wrote the ending scene in film gold when Luffy and Nami is paralleled with Tesoros and his love.
Oda could be baiting LuNa though since SaNa and LuHan has also had their moments but it strikes me as odd Rogue looks like Nami after TS just like Zoro resembles Reighley after TS.
I would like LuHan to happen (or even no romance) but Lunami isnt delusional.
>>
> Let's talk about romance in shounen
it sucks except for maybe I's
>>
>>159636643
Then Mikasa and Eren will be canon (if they are alive)
>>
>>159672783
oh and the one from Baby Steps, pretty straightforward.
>>
>>159672817
>Then Mikasa and Eren will be canon (if they are alive)

Yes. However Eren really should be dying young, barring a huge copout.
>>
>>159672595
>but i try to be objective when figuring out which couples are endgame.
If you were we wouldn't be having this conversation. Oda doesn't do romance and he probably never will. The fact that you bring up movies as your best defense is just more proof. You'd have a better excuse if you used some TV anime filler footage or something
>>
>>159673085
There could be a pairing for Luffy but it will be in literally the last chapter and Oda doesn't bother teasing it so there's zero point in talking about it.
>>
>>159673085
>Oda doesn't do romance and he probably never will. The fact that you bring up movies as your best defense is just more proof
I hope your right anon. I would enjoy OP more if i thought no romance was gonna happen. I dont think romance means shoujo type situations though, just couples at the end of the series.
Oda has either written or helped in the writing of strong world, film z and film gold. I just cant understand why he would include those scenes if he wasnt trying to bait shippers or tease something he'll do later on.
Like i said, Im a Sanami shipper so i would want him to just be baiting LuNami shippers like Kishi did.
>>
>>159672595
>using filler movies as evidence
Rookie mistake
>>
>>159659755
it would be interesting seeing Hinata's crush of Naruto shake a while
>>
>>159673548
Well, Im new to reading manga so you might be right but has this ever happened in another series? I mean, has a mangaka ever written a shippy moment (especially like film gold) in a movie which meant nothing?
>>
>>159673775

Not him but here's the keyword. Filler.
>>
>>159668925
I'm saying from his perspective he doesn't think he can do romance. Also that one shot really wasn't all that good. The other one with the delinquent guy has way more potential and I hope he continues it after gintama is done.

>>159670761
Nah I don't think gintama is gonna be pulling any real trolling again, ever since the final arcs everything has been very in universe. I genuinely believe sorachi is going to conclude the romance subplots in a comedic way but still one of definitive closure.

If there is going to be trolling, sorachi is going to have a fake out kid of some sort that makes no sense. Like Gintoki and Catherine having a kid before they show the actual pairings.
>>
>>159672595
Didnt Oda draw Luffy and Nami holding a baby after oda's kid was born?
>>
File: tumblr_lzwdj5R04q1r1tm6a.jpg (62KB, 467x349px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lzwdj5R04q1r1tm6a.jpg
62KB, 467x349px
>>159673775
>has a mangaka ever written a shippy moment (especially like film gold) in a movie which meant nothing?
>>
>>159673921
It was his editor's baby, I think.
>>
>>159673775
Pretty sure Naruto had this alot. I genuinly think kishimoto intended for sakura to be the love interest early on (mainly cause saskue wasnt even meant to be a character until the editor told him to write a rival) but in way of him drawing the series out without a plan the whole story got so fucked that he failed miserably at any chance of making it a decent plotpoint after muh saskue stuff so he went with the safer and honestly better option of hinata.
>>
>>159673869
>If there is going to be trolling, sorachi is going to have a fake out kid of some sort that makes no sense. Like Gintoki and Catherine having a kid before they show the actual pairings.

Sacchan is the one who will be pretending to be Gintoki's son's mom. Right before hitting on him.
>>
>>159674010
That's a pretty perfect way to do it. Well sort of, call me sappy but if Gintama is ending for real I want the entire case to get a proper send-off and Sa-chan getting closure away from her obsession with Gintoki would be preferable to a decent but ultimately not that memorable joke. Like I kind of assume Sorachi was just going to pair her off with zenzo or some shit.
>>
>>159673867
Isnt filler only when the author doesnt write it?
Oda wrote the ending of Film Gold and Strong World. Im not saying its canon but it could hint at something Oda will do later on.
Im also not saying Lunami is set in stone. Sanji has had moments with Nami, and Hancock could be endgame for Luffy.
Theres also Oda saying he doesnt care who falls for Luffy in a interview for strong world which could be him saying no to Lunami. It just seems like Oda has included Shippy moments in all the movies hes helped out with.
>>
>>159674123
Sacchan is the type to keep stalking Gintoki even if she's married to Zenzou.
>>
>>159673967
It was
>>
>>159674191
I guess, personally, I think it'd just be a bit funnier if Sa-chan's kid stalked gintoki's.
>>
>>159674009
Kishi said he always intended for hinata to be with Naruto, didnt he? I also need a souce to the sasuke rival thing, seems really odd to say the least.
>>
>>159673939
Kubo didn't wrote that movie so it's simply Pierrot who put it
>>
>>159674184
I doubt those are shipping moments, it's just shippers seeing them with shipper goggles
>>
Holy shit, why are we talking about movies? Unless it's something like The Last or the fuckign Rurouni Kenshin movies or something, it has no relevance to this discussion. Stick to the source material folks.
>>
File: IMG_0403.jpg (110KB, 640x452px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0403.jpg
110KB, 640x452px
>>159621938
Vegeta and bulma has the best relationship in dragon ball I mean super has made there relationship really really good and actually looks developed and apparently vegeta x bulma is the most popular couple in Japan they literally get their own events and other stuff
>>
I feel like gintama will conclude the romances in its series solely cause I'ts looking more and more true that the editors are making Sorachi draw out the manga as long as possible. I think the epilogue for gintama is going to be decently lengthed solely to draw out the pairings for 10 chapters or something before ending outright.
>>
File: IMG_0399.jpg (34KB, 236x255px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0399.jpg
34KB, 236x255px
Vegeta and bulma has the best relationship in dragon ball I mean super has made there relationship really really good and actually looks developed and apparently vegeta x bulma is the most popular couple in Japan they literally get their own events and other stuff.
>>
>>159674718
Yet it started off as an out of nowhere thing that looked like a crazy joke.

I guess it was the only way to keep Bulma relevant after the series turned into "my power level is greater than yours"
>>
File: IMG_0404.jpg (37KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0404.jpg
37KB, 225x225px
Vegeta and bulma has the best relationship in dragon ball I mean super has made there relationship really really good and actually looks developed and apparently vegeta x bulma is the most popular couple in Japan they literally get their own events and other stuff..
>>
>>159674718
Going by fanarts on Pixiv and doujinshis on doujinshi events, the more popular (hetero) pairings are Okita x Kagura, Levi x Hange and Sasuke x Sakura
>>
>>159673939
I guess my point is that LuNami moments seem to happen very movie Oda is involved with. I personally didnt think much of it when strong world because the ending could be interpreted as Sanji being stupid but it really hit me in Film Gold.
The parallel scene is the only reason i think LuNa has a shot and while im hoping its nothing i think it could very well be Oda hinting at them being together.
>>
>>159674918

Kill yourself you pathetic shipper faggot
>>
>>159674718
>>159674817
>>159674885
Whats your point?
>>
File: IMG_0373.jpg (255KB, 339x1882px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0373.jpg
255KB, 339x1882px
>>159674840
Yeah but still the fact that Japan gives them there on events and other stuff is pretty insane they really popular there!
>>
>>159674947
I dont ship these two you idiot. Im simply saying i disagree with the people who think LuNami has no backing. I dont want LuNami to happen. Ive always seen them as siblings but i think Oda has been hinting at something in the movies. I just want to know the opinion of /a/ on why the movies shouldnt be counted.
>>
>>159674997
That vegeta x bulma is extremely popular in that country
>>
>>159675210
Yeah but no one here is arguing with that.
The only thing said here was that it happened out of nowhere.
>>
File: LH wedding.jpg (43KB, 275x604px) Image search: [Google]
LH wedding.jpg
43KB, 275x604px
>>159674917
>Levi x Hange
I really want that to happen to see the fujo meltdown. But it's snk, no one gets laid in that shit.
>>
>>159675298
Oh then I agree
>>
>>159659755
There are other demographics of manga for that, you can't legally get married at the age these manga are designed for so it's literally impossible to relate to that stuff

And with all the authors who had huge Shonen Jump series and later made sequels in the seinen market, I'm sure some of them have exactly done what you want
>>
>>159673939
There was also that moment in Hellverse between Ichigo and Orihime. It wasn't a major part of the plot though like in Fade to Black which was basically the Bleach team in Pierrot pushing IR like they always did.
>>
>>159674436
Wasn't Kubo working with the studio on this movie?
>>
>>159676918
Yes, but his level of involvement is disputable. He didn't write the script like Kishimoto did for the Boruto movie.

On the other hand, Kubo didn't disavow it in the DVD package like he did with the Hellverse movie.
>>
>>159621938
>tl;dr, Shounen are predictable with this shit, even in romcoms and harems
It's debatable whether or not Raildex is considered an actual shounen series, but that's beside the point. That series has over 40 volumes and its still anyone's guess, who the MC is gonna end up with (if anybody). Right now the main 4 who have the best shot are Misaka,Index, Misaki and Othinus.
>>
>>159676918
Kubo was involved in some things in the movie, but he didn't write the movie.
>>
>>159677203
>Misaki
>>
>>159677408
She's become relevant in the latest LN's and knowing Kamachi, he could come up with some retarded way to make Touma remember her. That's why i included her.
>>
>>159677203
I'd leave the LN harems and shit out of this discussion
>>
>>159677702
Saw someone post that LN harems are different from "normal" harems. What does that mean?
>>
>>159621938
What about nurarihyon no mago? yuki-onna girl winning really surprised me.
>>
>>159678066
Well yeah, that ties in perfectly to OP. She's the first girl who showed real romantic interest in him so obviously she won.
>>
>>159677174
Kubo disavowed Hell Verse because he wrote a ton of ideas for it only for Pierrot to not use most of them. It clearly annoyed him.
>>
>>159678399
But in nisekoi wasn't onodera the first girl who showed romantic interest in raku?
>>
> NaruHina and SasuSaku are the most popular pairings in Jpan
> canon in end
> new movies, new anime, novels, manga and more = $$$

> IchiRuki is the most popular pairing in Japan
> not canon at the end
> new novels, ??? = no $$$

I didn't expect the pairings were so important.
>>
>>159680272
Bleach also sucked at the end.
>>
>>159668327
>leaving in ambiguity lets the fans go wild with imagining shit while avoiding the hard work of having to actually write a romance and maybe disappoint people
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm trying to say.
>>
>>159680272
Yes because the shipping is the sole correlation as to why Bleach stopped being popular. It couldn't possibly be that it was just complete shit
>>
>>159680272
> NaruHina and SasuSaku are the most popular pairings in Jpan
The most popular pairings were actually NaruSasu and KakashixIruka
>>
>>159680702
Well, it's not like Naruto with its last minute asspull final boss was much better
>>
>>159681025
Source?
>>
>>159678857
>But in nisekoi wasn't onodera the first girl who showed romantic interest in raku?

Chitoge was the love interest in the oneshot. Her victory was pre-ordained.
>>
>>159681025
> SasuSuku
> 12200 fanarts (pixiv)
> NaruHina
> 5400 fanarts
> NaruSaku
> 1700 fanarts

Anon please.
>>
>>159674009
>(mainly cause saskue wasnt even meant to be a character until the editor told him to write a rival)
Sakura was also an editor mandate, it was originally Naruto solo adventures but the editor wanted a rival and love triangle. Also Hinata was one of the few characters there since earlier concep arts but she wasn't going to be ninja, just girl from to village and eventual baby dispenser
>>
>>159674638
True
>>
>>159682367
NaruSasu isn't NaruSaku
>>
>>159682367
>>159684628
Isn't it SasuNaru in any case?
>>
>>159684790
How does that shit work with gay pairings? Does the top's name go first?
>>
>>159621938
S-shut up!
>>
>>159684915
Yes. There's quite a lot of debate over which one should top.
>>
>>159621938
Okay, who will win the Shinbowl?
>>
>>159684915
Isn't Sasuke top? I've never read Naruto. It's always been SasuNaru for as far as I can remember.
Though there are 5976 results for SasuNaru and 4915 results for NaruSasu so I suppose there is a debate there.
>>
>>159685395
>Though there are 5976 results for SasuNaru and 4915 results for NaruSasu so I suppose there is a debate there.
Wow, even combined they don't reach SS.

I guess fujos fucked off from Naruto
>>
>>159646644
You mean Latias?
>>
>>159628177
>Hillary Clinton victory tweet
>>
>>159685583
That was on the cheek wasn't it? If so, it doesn't count.
>>
>>159621938
The thing is, the English fanbase has been exposed to Hollywood romcoms. 50% of these are all about not fucking the heroine's first love, but the girl who helps him realize his dreams or his love only for him to realize he loves her.

This creates an honest expectation that the more active female characters in a series will end up being the ones who win the MC. There's also the issue that a lot of "main" girls do not care at all about romance with the MC until the finale or the epilogue, while there might be several side girls who are openly competing to win his heart. So people want the efforts of these girls to pay off, because all Western media says that you have to work at love to make it work.

Japs don't think that way though. The Red String of Fate is an old-fashioned trope, but it's still very popular because they do believe that humans are incapable of making things happen on their own. If it's not fated, then it will never happen no matter how much a girl wants it. If it does happen, against all the odds, then 9 times out of 10 it will lead to a bad end, the couple suffering because they dared to defy fate.

The authors will also refuse to change the plot of the story to suit what they've written. Remember Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa? The author decided to ragequit when it became clear that his first, preferred pairing and story simply couldn't be justified by his own story development. The same thing happened with Haganai; instead of ending with Yukimura winning, the author worked his ass off to wreck the story and bring it back to the ending he originally envisioned, of the entire club deciding to reject mundane lives and suffer through yaminabe again.
>>
>>159685709
No, it was definitely on the lips.
>>
What are some unexpected pairings and endings then? Preferably not harems.
>>
>>159686052
>50% of these are all about not fucking the heroine's first love, but the girl who helps him realize his dreams or his love only for him to realize he loves her.
I think this is limited to shounen and not really Japanese works in general because shoujo love interests are usually pretty active. You're better off comparing shounen manga to western kids shows.
>>
File: IMG_3997.jpg (102KB, 800x627px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3997.jpg
102KB, 800x627px
>>159680272
Bleach lost popularity once the Fullbringer arc started; you see a dip in sales and it never reached 700k or more sales for a volume ever again. It was on a steady decline since then. The pairings have nothing to do with it.
>>
>>159686621
I was talking about Hollywood romcoms. In shounen the hero almost always ends up with the first heroine, even in fucking Air Gear where Ringo was the least popular main girl.
>>
>>159686714
The problem was Fullbringer was one of the best and most creative arcs.
>>
>>159686452
I was going to say Ushio/Nene despite them being a side pairing but then I realized it's the same kind of shit OP described. I really thought Tamaki/Nene was going to happen.
>>
>>159686452
Digimon
>>
>>159686989
How? Rika didn't teach Takato to stop being a pussy and become his girlfriend, Jou didn't kiss Mimi, and Kari and Tai aren't a thing.
>>
>>159681314
The difference is that, despite being shit, Naruto was still popular
>>
>>159686052
>The Red String of Fate is an old-fashioned trope
I already miss U19
>>
>>159687353
I think he's talking about Taichi not ending up with Sora even though there was absolutely no real romance in Digimon Adventure but they had "first boy/first girl" effect
>>
>>159687492
Tai and Sora was written to be a pairing in the English dub.
>>
>>159626545
I am gonna be honest I am disgusting shipperfag as well, bit I can never imagine being so buttblasted about your ship not being canon.
I can understand being dissapointed, but actually hating the character that won the bowl is just strange to me.
>>
>>159621938
So will Ash and Serena end up together?
>>
>>159689124
If Pokemon ever ends and they don't add an even thirstier main girl, I guess so.
>>
>>159624269
I think a lot of times it's because the designated love interest is complete and utter shit as a character either because they're a non-entity, a pushover or a cunt and often times the MC has better chemistry with whatever secondary character so despite knowing what's inevitable people still hold out hope that X or Y will be a series that averts the trend.

Very rare is it to get something like, say, Sesuji where the main girl is also far and away the best girl.
>>
>>159689124
Yes, after Ash wins a league championship.
>>
>>159687492
Indeed, there wasn't any real romance in Adventure but the pairings that did happen weren't predictable at all.
>>
>>159689676
Poor guy will die a virgin, though at least not a kissless one anymore.
>>
>>159626343
To me I don't even care about first or second or last girl or whatever, I simply want to see the MC hook up with a character he has good chemistry with and who isn't a shitty or boring or whatever character and I also like to see the whys and/or development of said relationship.

They're not shonen but that's part of why I love Molster Man. Molester/Kansai have great chemistry and we see how their relationship develops from dislike to friends who banter to one-sided affection to reciprocal affection so that when they hook up it feels satisfying. It's not even that the genre that holds it back. Sesuji wo Pin is a shonen and the romantic relationships, whether just in ambiguous overtones (like Doigaki/Rio or Tsuchiya/Watari) or explicit (Kinryuuin/Minori), all feel really good.

A lot of it is because your average battle shonen is about power levels and character development is told through power levels and new abilities vs. actual character work so romances feel tacked on and hollow because it's just a reward for the hero at the end of the series.
>>
>>159655505

>Rukia's rescue didn't have romantic implications

Somebody wasn't paying attention.

Fucking SS is LOADED with this shit AND had the unfortunate position as the high point in the series.

AND THEN we get Rukia's Kaien situation and shit comes full circle with the Grandfisher fight to the point that even Byakuya makes a comment on it.

All while we see the juxtaposition of Renji and Ichigo in Rukia's life. The one who let her drift away thinking it's what's best for her when all she wanted was for someone she cared about to tell her to stay in their life...

And Ichigo who defied her orders to protect him one last time and continued to beat odd after insurmountable odd.

You only have to imagine Rukia's position being replaced with ANY male character and Bleach would have been hailed as the first mainstream gay shounen.
Thread posts: 395
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.