[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is simply not a good idea in 99.9% of cases, when will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (1MB, 1500x2126px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1500x2126px
This is simply not a good idea in 99.9% of cases, when will this dumb meme end?
>>
>>159575275
For what purpose?
>>
>this dumb meme
I don't think it's much of a meme. The only other such sword that I can remember was in the Highlander movie.
>>
>>159575434
There's also the blades in Shingeki no Kyojin, but that one makes a little bit more sense. They need maximum sharpness at all times.

Though the exacto grooves make no sense since the blades aren't meant to snap.
>>
>>159575522
>but that one makes a little bit more sense.
No, it doesn't, especially not with the predetermined breaking points.
They'd be better off taking along more full swords.
>>
>>159576147
That's just more weight.
>>
>>159576177
The blade should be the majority of the weight of a sword anyway. And when your sword is properly made, it won't break as easily so you don't need as many back-ups.
>>
>>159576221
The backup blades in SNK aren't for when the sword breaks. They're for when it loses edge. They're not fighting people, they're butchering. They need to be able to slice a large section of flesh as cleanly as possible.
>>
>>159576298
>They're for when it loses edge.
Right, and you lose your edge faster when your sword is bad and you can't cut properly.
The breaking points are especially pointless. They don't assist with anything. When the sword breaks at any one of them it just becomes that much less useful.
>>
>>159576397
The breaking points are certainly pointless, I agree. But switching out razors makes sense.
>>
>>159576462
On a razor, yes. On a sword, no. A sword is used in a completely different fashion from a razor. Stiffness and edge alignment are extremely valuable. When the blade is mass manufactured by a pre-industrial society and just clicks into the handle it's not going to be a very stable set-up.
>>
>>159576570
It's stable enough to last as long as the edge, so it's fine.
>>
>>159576639
In-universe, yes.
But realistically speaking your cuts are less efficient meaning, you need to cut more often, meaning you need more blades for the same amount of titans than you otherwise would. nevermind the fact that it's more dangerous having to spend more time per titan)
Combining that with the fact that the blades are also used up faster, which also increases the amount of blades you need to take with you, and the fact that blades are really the heaviest bit of the sword, especially in a pure chopping weapon, and you quickly reach the conclusion that taking along a few more proper swords is simply more sensible.
>>
File: 12.jpg (766KB, 1450x1027px) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
766KB, 1450x1027px
What the fuck am I reading?
>>
>>159576803
I don't follow, the blades are efficient enough to slice a wedge of flesh off a titan multiple times before losing the edge, that's all they need to be able to do.
>>
>>159575275
>>159576889
>blades so shit that they actually expect them to break easily
>>
>>159577025
The funny thing is that the justification for making it snap off was that he was imbuing the sword with vibration magic so he didn't want the vibrations to disturb his own arm. I mean it's a dumb idea, but it's an idea.

But the blades the soldiers are carrying have no magic so they're super retarded.
>>
>>159576904
>I don't follow,
I'm not sure why.
>A sword that cuts better can end fights quicker.
You can basically apply this to any situation where they failed to cut deeply enough. But generally, this problem is vastly understated in SnK. It's difficult to cut very deeply with swords. Anything that assists in this would be valuable.
>A sword that doesn't get as much punishment lasts longer.
Simple logic.
>A sword that is built better lasts longer.
More logic.
Please think about if for a moment before replying.
>>
>>159577101
Vibrations are actually a really bad idea for blades, unless they go along the edge of the blade (ie forward and backward)
>>
>>159577118
>You can basically apply this to any situation where they failed to cut deeply enough.
Because either a) The stroke itself was poor, or b) the sword lost it's edge. Sure, masterwork katanas would last longer, but fighting the titans is an extremely underfunded enterprise in SnK, so the balance between cost and effectiveness is extremely important. Cheap blades that can be discarded as soon as the edge is lost are a far more valuable investment for the corps.
>>
>>159577253
>a) The stroke itself was poor,
The nice thing about good, stiff cutting swords is that even poor technique can bring about adequate cuts.
> the sword lost it's edge.
Wouldn't it be nice if the sword were better and didn't lose its edge so quickly?
>fighting the titans is an extremely underfunded enterprise
The precision required for their weaponry to work at all would require quite a bit of funding, so that's not an excuse.
Further, training recruits is also a real cost. Ignoring that and saying the blades are the only expense is silly.
>>
>>159577423
>The nice thing about good, stiff cutting swords is that even poor technique can bring about adequate cuts.
Not really, you still need a proper stroke and even a great sword will fail to cut properly if the stroke was poor.

>Wouldn't it be nice if the sword were better and didn't lose its edge so quickly?
Wouldn't it be far more expensive?

>The precision required for their weaponry to work at all would require quite a bit of funding, so that's not an excuse.
It certainly is. The world of SnK is technologically advanced, the crown suppresses only certain types of technology, they have no issue allowing the developement of stuff like the 3DM and blades.

>Further, training recruits is also a real cost. Ignoring that and saying the blades are the only expense is silly.
Right, so having expensive swords would be economically inefficient. Especially since most recruits that face titans die.
>>
>>159577558
>Not really
The effect is limited. Even the greatest sword can't cut off an arm if your swing missed it, but yes, really. Stiffness can make up for quite a bit of error on the users part.
>Wouldn't it be far more expensive?
Than a mechanism that must be routinely repaired and fixed, and that is made by many different hands but must fit absolutely perfectly?
No.
>so having expensive swords would be economically inefficient.
What? How did you suddenly go into the opposite direction?
>recruits cost money, therefore let's waste them instead of equipping them properly and making sure the investment isn't lost
Are you baiting?
>>
>>159577741
>The effect is limited.
That goes both ways.
>Than a mechanism that must be routinely repaired and fixed
It's not remotely complex. The mechanism itself is sturdy and well made, only the blades are disposable.
>>159577741
>What? How did you suddenly go into the opposite direction?
You're not thinking. Think about any given sortie against titans, how many titans do you think each average recruit can kill? How many of them die without killing any, losing their equipment in the process?
It's far more economically viable to have 6 cheap blades than 6 expensive blades that will in all likelyhood end in a titan's stomach, and as long as the cheap blades can keep their edge for a single strike (they can keep it for a lot more, but for argument's sake), then being able to kill six titans with your loadout is far more than the average soldier can manage, so it's sufficient.
>>
>>159577930
>It's not remotely complex.
It's more complex. Simple is best, that's an old military doctrine.
>The mechanism itself is sturdy
Yeah right. Even real swords commonly broke at the hilt, and they didn't have nearly as much blade play as this build inevitably has.
>how many titans do you think each average recruit can kill?
If you give them up before the battle you don't need to train them at all. Cut down your numbers, and only train an elite.
If you hope that these soldiers have any effect at all on the battlefield, you need to invest in them. Not just because of the loss of the minimum investment of lost lives, by the way, but also because of the loss of initiative whenever you are defeated.
>It's far more economically viable to have 6 cheap blades
If you don't trust them to survive their first titan, you may as well give them only a SINGLE blade, because they won't get around to using them all anyway. Your logic is not sound. You are just desperately grasping for straws.
>>
>>159576889
>>159575275
I dont even remember they being mass produced in the novel for how impractical it would be
It was supposed to be a customized model to deal with the the mc hypervibration magic
>>
>>159577179

Are you talking vibrations orientated parallel the long axis of the sword (reciprocating saw), or oriented parallel the the flat of the blade and perpendicular to the edge (chisel sort of thing)?
>>
>>159576298
>>159576397
What if the breaking points on the blades are so that if the blade ever gets stuck in anything, like a wall, house or titan it'll just snap off and they can keep going instead of being stuck and fucking around with the triggers? It would at least be safer surely.
>>
>>159582430
>Are you talking vibrations orientated parallel the long axis of the sword (reciprocating saw),
These.
>parallel the the flat of the blade and perpendicular to the edge
I'm really guessing here, so keep that in mind.
For a chopping motion, this kind of vibration is useless.
For a cutting motion, it might be somewhat helpful, but you'd probably lose some control over the blade and the effect would be a slightly shallower but much messier wound.
>>
>>159582613
I assume you'd probably rather drop a sword and go for a back-up than risk having a pointy piece of steel flying in your direction when your sword breaks, and then having to go for a different weapon anyway because your blade is now too short to be effective.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.