[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why wasn't this ever released in the West?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: 77068.jpg (50KB, 225x314px) Image search: [Google]
77068.jpg
50KB, 225x314px
Why wasn't this ever released in the West?
>>
because it's old and it's trash
>>
>>159482788
How do you know it's trash if you've never seen it?
>>
>>159482352
Is this truly patrician stuff or are the guys over there at /m/ just memeing?
>>
>>159483666
I think maybe they hype it up a bit much but it's definitely good and worth checking out.
>>
>>159482352
There are multiple western Transformers series/movies
>>
>the West?
Do you mean Italy or what?
>>
>>159483626
Because I heard someone say it's trash.
I have it downloaded, somewhat, I've been meaning to watch for a while but when I had wanted to the subs were only up to epsiode 20 or something. I don't know if it's done yet, and there's no point in starting if I'll just have to wait.
>>
Because then they'd know the secret, that Eva isn't all that special.

Anno doesn't want anyone to know about Ideon.
>>
I'm serious. I wanna fucking know.
>>
just watch the movies seriously
t. someone that watched all episodes on a weekend
>>
>>159483666
/m/ literally has the best taste on the internet.
>>
>>159482788
Replace both old and trash with slow burn and then backspace to the first slow burn and add full stop.

>>159484210
It's done.
>>
>>159483666

Ideon was my first Tomino anime, and I liked it well enough.

/m/'s problem is that those who watch Ideon do it for meme reasons, based on the Ideon Gun's power in SRW (thinking it's a super robot) and Anno's influence from Evangelion.
>>
File: GoldrakeUfoRobot.jpg (550KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
GoldrakeUfoRobot.jpg
550KB, 1280x1024px
How would you rate it vs, say, Grendizer?
>>
>>159485139
fuck off wasim
>>
>>159485139

They aren't comparable.
>>
>>159485139
Grendizer is a shit sequel that was only made to capitalize on the success of the previous Mazinger series, it's clearly terrible in both its concept and implementation
>>
>>159485203
Who's that? Some tripfag?

>>159485215
In what way(s)?

>>159485422
Granted, I last watched the series when I was a kid, but it was pretty self-contained.
Also, the French theme song is nostalgic as fuck for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XePLPSSbylQ
>>
>>159485422

Grendizer is better than Great because Kouji comes back and Z finally becomes relevant again.

Nagai didn't fully grasp that the generation he wrote Mazinger for didn't share the same values his own did.
>>
>>159485636

Grendizer is a kid's show with simple writing. The heroes and villains are clear and their motivations obvious. Much of the focus is on the fights which are dramatic and entertaining.

Ideon was meant for an adult audience. The focus is on survival, racism, isolation, relationships and lust for power/control. The fights are anti-climactic, usually with the Solo Ship near destruction before the Ideon panics and slaughters everything.

Ideon itself is portrayed as a machine, albeit an all-powerful superweapon. Grendizer is basically a giant superhero.
>>
>>159485967
Sounds interesting.
I'll grant you that Grendizer is a simple story, but a revenge story doesn't need to be all that complex to be effective.
>>
>>159486019

Revenge is a common theme in kids shows because humans understand it relatively early, when they are children. The same applies to megalomania.

Racism by contrast is an adult theme because children do not inherently understand racial differences, it has to be taught to them.

So in Ideon, the racism of the Buff Clan to humans and visa versa is difficult to grasp for kids because they look identical.
>>
>>159484210
Subs have been around for ages, and its about a year the BD version got subbed by /m/ as well.
>>
>>159486407
>>>159486019

>So in Ideon, the racism of the Buff Clan to humans and visa versa is difficult to grasp for kids because they look identical.
wasnt that the point
>>
None of you have answered my question.
>>
Be Invoked is honestly one of the best anime films ever made. Not the best, but definitely in the top X.
>>
>>159482352
It wasn't 65 episodes long and that is how long it need to be to get a tv slot Macross was made into robotech by combining other anime with it.
>>
>>159492586
>TV
Anime goes on DVD and streaming now.
>>
>>159485967
>muh racism
It was about species being pit against each other for survival, miscommunication and culture shock.

Are you really going to trust some aliens just because they look like you a bit? You don't even trust a random nigger on the street, this is a natural condition and doesnt imply racism anyhow.
>>
No
One
Hss
Answered
My
Question

Except maybe >>159492586 but the TV era is over. What is keeping Funimation or Crunchyroll from releasing it?
>>
>>159482788
get lost, Evageeks
>>
>>159483666
tv series is hyped too much but has some nice scifi stuff
second movie is dat tomino you know and love
>>
>>159494764
Eva is also old and trash. You should be best buddies. :)
>>
>>159494520
What the fuck do Funimation and Crunchyroll have to do with anything, they don't have the rights to the show. Besides that, Ideon is a hard sell. Westerners don't care about any mecha anime besides Gundam or some other mass-appeal hypebeast shit like Code Geass or Gurren Lagann, plus most casualfags will turn their nose up at the story, the characters, and the "dated" animation and art.
>>
>>159494520
>Funimation or Crunchyroll

There's no demand for a ~30 year old show this is completely irrelevant to modern anime fans. Why would they bother licensing it?

Best bet would be RightStuff or Discotek who tend to cash in on the older stuff. And for all we know, they are trying to get there hands on it.
>>
>>159497393

I'm honestly surprised that Discotek hasn't tried getting it yet.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.