[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Best anime of the last decade Search your feelings,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: 1919111.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1919111.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>Best anime of the last decade
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
>>
It was pretty great, but making a blanket statement like that just sounds like you're overreacting. It even had strong competition in its own year, most notably from Sangatsu no Lion.
>>
>>159451006
>Sukeroku fucked Kiku's girl
>Kiku fucked Sukeroku's daughter
Based Kiku
>>
Best of last year but this year there's too much good stuff.

Notably Kino's Journey (Hope they don't fuck it up)
>>
>>159451167
The character design looks fucking awful. I don't have high hopes.
>>
File: 1491534684510.jpg (257KB, 449x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1491534684510.jpg
257KB, 449x1000px
>>159451006
I wanna die just thinking about this anime. It had so much potential.
>>
>>159451524
It lived up to every bit of it. Sorry that you're a faggot.
>>
>>159451006
It was good, it would have been one of the all time greats if it wasn't for the last 5 minutes.
>>
KIKU
>>
>>159451807
this
>>
>>159451006
This show is overrated as fuck. It was one of the better shows of it's year but I don't understand how people can give it such high praise. Can anyone shed any light? I feel like I'm missing something when people say shit like this.
>>
>>159451235
And Hermes is gonna sound like a bishonen character rather than a kid
>>
>>159451524
It lived up to that potential you cuck.
>>
>>159451006
It wasn't offensive but it wasn't impressive either, I have no strong feelings about it. I'm sure there are many better recent anime.
>>
>>159453336
>winding narrative taking place over 100 years
>cast made up of multiple generations of characters who have complex relationships with one another that are explored in depth
>strong themes about the nature of art and how it adapts over time
>multi-layered direction which is able to capture many different emotions in one scene and convey them perfectly
Definitely the best of 2016 and probably gonna be the best of 2017 as well for me.
>>
>>159451006
You start OP
>>
Ping Pong
>>
>>159451006
This show was overrated trash that you got memed into watching
>>
>>159451006
>>159451805
>>159453487
>>159453614
It's good but it's not perfect and has some serious flaws.

For a show that's all about storytelling and audience reactions, they did everything they could to make it hard for anyone to understand the difference between good rakugo and bad rakugo. All we really had to go off of is Yakumo shitting on someone or not, when really there were little differences between performances.

Some of the rakugo sequences are just poorly done as well. People like to circlejerk about the directing but almost every rakugo other than a couple of Yakumo and Sukeroku's performance was gutted. This led to nearly every single joke falling flat because we as viewers miss out on all of the build up and all we get is the punchline. One could argue that seeing the whole performance is not necessary if the goal is just to see the effects that the performers have upon the crowd, which is sorta fair, but in the end it really has the same result - none of the comedy is funny.

And then there's the ending that pretty much ruined everyone's perception of Yakumo forever.
>>
>>159453850
Sorry that it wasn't literally an animated character sitting and performing an entire Rakugo monologue. It's an anime.

The show left you to determine what is good Rakugo for yourself because that's how art works. They gave excellent commentary about the types of techniques and approaches they use, as well as specific critiques about different performances. What else do you want?
>>
>>159454024
>Sorry that it wasn't literally an animated character sitting and performing an entire Rakugo monologue. It's an anime.
Either include them or don't. There's little point in seeing half of a joke.
>>
Vivid Strike was better.
>>
S1 was really good, though even in that year it was overshadowed by Mob Psycho 100. S2 was really lackluster due to a slow pacing structure with a ridiculous number of near death cliffhangers in a situation where that character surviving freezes the already obvious development of the main character. The Rakugo performances themselves weren't integrated into the narrative as well as in S1. In this year, S2 has already been usurped by Uchouten Kazoku.
>>
>>159453850
>they did everything they could to make it hard for anyone to understand the difference between good rakugo and bad rakugo
I couldn't disagree more. The show does simple stuff like cutting between the audience and the performer to show how the crowd is reacting to each joke, and having the sound design suit each performance, giving good performances swelling jazz music and frequent laughter, and lacking peformances no music and only the odd cough.
But it also does more complex stuff, like using cinematography in creative ways. When a performer is drawing the audience into his story and has them instantly knowing which character is which, the shot composition will change every time the performer changes character. Whereas, when the performer is doing badly, the performance will be shown in long static shots to display that the audience can't properly tell the difference between characters.
And for the abolsute best performances such as Kiku and Yotaros' at their peaks, the show uses the more abstract method of visual metaphors, actually changing the landscape of the theatre to display how utterly immersed the audience is in the world the performance creates, as seen in OP's image.

>One could argue that seeing the whole performance is not necessary if the goal is just to see the effects that the performers have upon the crowd
I would definitely argue this, as having the performances be funny wouldn't really suit the scene's meaning at all. To our main characters who are giving the performances, they are the most serious things in the world, the result of a lifetime of training and the test of whether theyll have a successful career or not. The performances aren't menat to be funny bc the characters who we're experiencing them through don't find them humerous at all. They do feel positive emotions during the performances when they can tell they're doing well, but as previously stated, this is shown through the direction not the jokes themselves.
>>
Tatami Galaxy
Shinsekai Yori
Monogatari Series
Ping Pong
Kekkai Sensen
Sangatsu
Occultic;Nine

Are all better. Try again.
>>
>>159455025
I love all but one of the things on that list for various reasons, but none of them are overall as good as Rakugo.
>>
File: 1496444444501.jpg (71KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1496444444501.jpg
71KB, 512x512px
>>159455025
> Occultic;Nine
>Monogatari Series
>>
Hibike S1? I agree.
>>
>>159455025
>no Kemono Friends
>no Eromanga-sensei
Shit list.
>>
>>159451235
>>159451167
Looks better than the old designs desu
Aoi Yuuki is the perfect va for Kino as well
>>
>>159455235
>Aoi Yuuki is the perfect va for Kino as well
Wrong, please fuck off. No one can top Ai Maeda's Kino.
>>
>>159455290
I have faith in the new one because the source material is what really matters.
Kino 2003 had pretty bland voice acting, direction, colors, and character designs.
>>
Rakugo might've been great if it was better produced. The art direction, the animation and the character art was just mediocre throughout with very few highlights.
>>
>>159451006
That's Uchouten Kazoku but Rakugo is pretty high up the list.
>>
File: 1486294422448.jpg (10KB, 197x250px) Image search: [Google]
1486294422448.jpg
10KB, 197x250px
>>159455586
>>
>>159456504
He's right tho, it's the worst of the early digital animation aesthetic. Not dark enough to have the style of 90s cell animation, not bright enough to have the pop of 10s digital animation, just bland.
>>
>>159455219
I can't tell if this post is ironic or not
>>
File: 1483773419888.png (612KB, 1881x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1483773419888.png
612KB, 1881x1079px
>>159451006
Yakumo has the right to be smug for his show is literally the Kinography of the 21st century
>>
>>159457780
The inclusion of eromanga sensei makes it pretty obvious bait.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.