[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it about a six episode ova from seventeen years ago that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 15

File: flcl_sequel-1200x938.jpg (227KB, 1200x938px) Image search: [Google]
flcl_sequel-1200x938.jpg
227KB, 1200x938px
What is it about a six episode ova from seventeen years ago that has people in a frenzy? There's not a lot of merchandise for it, Gainax never went back to it, it's too short to have ongoing conversations about it, Adult Swim never says when they're rerunning it, but people never really stopped talking about it,putting it in their top 10s,etc.

What's its secret? More importantly, can they even get lightning to strike thrice?
>>
>>159401277
>What is it about a six episode ova from seventeen years ago that has people in a frenzy?

Felt relatable
>>
>>159401277
Nostalgia, that's all there is to it.
>>
Millennials think random and retarded = good
>>
>>159401277
Good animation, good artstyle, good music.
Think about it as a big music video.
>>
>>159401439
WOAH STAND BACK

MR EDGY IS ON THE LOOSE
>>
>>159401277
It was on Adult Swim at a time where a lot of westerners were just getting into anime, so it was one of the first ones anyone over here saw, and was certainly one of the most memorable even if it was because you ended up watching the same 6 episodes multiple times.

From my understanding, FLCL wasn't super popular in Japan which is why they're only now coming back to the series as studios are starting to pander to the western audiences a bit more.
>>
Based on the mood of the trailer and the Q&A i can at least say the people who are putting this together understand what made FLCL so good.

If they manage to take their time and actually expand on what made it good , but this time explore female adolescence it could be just as good. As insane as it sounds.

The only thing we can say for sure is the animation wont be comparable. They will try , but you simply cant replace pencil with digital.
>>
>>159401277
Western exposure. It was their first anime and they were impressed.
>>
It's essential toonamicore along with Cowboy Bebop and GITS:SAC.
>>
>>159401699
It's genuinely impressive. The animation (especially compared to what Western audiences had seen) is very good.
>>
File: 1498096934648.png (384KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1498096934648.png
384KB, 640x480px
>>159401664
>They will try , but you simply cant replace pencil with digital.

Proof of how pretentious and stupid this wanna be sakuga fags are.
>>
>>159401277
Nostalgia and being obscure enough that it can be analyzed to death without ever being wrong.
>>
I think I will enjoy this cartoon.
>>
>>159401581
I actually have no problem with millennials and this this is accurate, at least for a good portion of the people who grew up in the 00s. Invader Zim and FLCL did have a following filled with people who loved randum. *holds up spork*
>>
>>159401664
>but you simply cant replace pencil with digital

Except a major part of the reason FLCL was produced in the first place was to test out Gainax's new DIGITAL equipment
>>
File: 1497638202902.png (118KB, 404x404px) Image search: [Google]
1497638202902.png
118KB, 404x404px
>>159402646
in like a handful of scenes like the 3d matrix shit. The most impressive scenes were all done with pencils.

Digital cannot compete with traditional animation unless you go full 3d. The way people learn to do traditional animation is a superior way of learning how movement works. Thats why shit in the 90s that was produced at half the fucking budget looks better than shit today. Japs dont animate anymore. Instead of drawing on paper they fuck around in photoshop learning all this dumb software shit instead of HOW TO DRAW and HOW MOVEMENT WORKS.
>>
>>159404757
no nigga FLCL was all digitally animated, cel animation doesn't look like that you fucking retard. even the non 3D parts were all drawn digitally on computers. fucking idiot.
>>
File: you.png (783KB, 1300x1080px) Image search: [Google]
you.png
783KB, 1300x1080px
>>159405273
My nigga, simmer down. Take a swig of vodka. Smoke a good cigar. Eat an apple.

Everything is irie mon.
>>
>>159401439
>Millennials
I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and bet that you're a millennial yourself. You fags always like to complain about yourself, just like how SJWs like to bitch about white people despite most their ilk being white and unappreciative of their culture that is getting destroyed.
>>
File: mamimi.webm (2MB, 570x428px) Image search: [Google]
mamimi.webm
2MB, 570x428px
>>159404757
digital can still imply hand drawn, senpai.
We're not making cell-by-cell drawings anymore.

You start with traditional medium for fundementals and when production time starts, you switch to wacom and tablet stuff because that's industry standard now. It's not about wanting to stay completely traditional because that's fucking stupid, regardless of how good it looks. It's not that cost efficient anymore.

Look at this scene and tell me this isn't digital.
>>
File: 7MMz1.gif (2MB, 400x286px) Image search: [Google]
7MMz1.gif
2MB, 400x286px
>>159405273
No, the 2D animation was drawn in pencil. It's the composite/colouring work that was done digitally.

>>159405552
>you switch to wacom and tablet stuff because that's industry standard now.
In Japan, that's still not industry standard. The majority of animators work in pencil to this day.
>>
>>159405883
Kind of odd that they would stay at it then, mostly considering there's a lot of their main stream anime over there - at least the harem shit which is all I see with occasional action - doesn't look that good at all.

FLCL still has that aesthetic, but there's still things I saw in that trailer that looked like the original stuffs style.
>>
>>159405510
To add to your point if you're 35 to 11 you are a millennial. Don't believe me; look it up.
>>
>>159401277
flcl is shit. somebody has to say it
>>
>>159401277
I THINK I CAN
I THINK I CAN
I THINK I CAN
The pillows brainwashed me into liking it
>>
>>159405273
lol no it was all done traditionally. scanned and then colored with a computer
>>
File: 1484835676090.jpg (42KB, 784x442px) Image search: [Google]
1484835676090.jpg
42KB, 784x442px
>>159406322
nah ur dumb
>>
>>159401277
>What is it about a six episode ova from seventeen years ago that has people in a frenzy?
Watch it and you would know. It's one of the greatest thing ever done.
>>
>>159402076
As do I. Unlike others I first saw FLCL when I was 19 after buying the Synch Point DVDs.

I remember arguing with a sub fag when it was first licensed, who swore up and down that no English VA could possibly do Haruko's voice.

Then Kari Wahlgren fucking nailed it!
>>
>>159401439
And then there's the retards like you that think anything they don't understand is just random.
>>
>>159401277
It's purely nostalgia faggotry because of murricans who watched that shit on Toonami or Adult Swim, or whatever dumb block they had. It's cancerous like Gurren Lagaan and not particularly special.
>>
Because it's like fucking magical realism. Stuff goes from mundane to magical in a moment and it's fucking beautiful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pbyagcLj8g
>>
>>159406763
Kill yourself
>>
>>159406763
FLCL is a million times better than TTGL
>>
>>159406067
>Kind of odd that they would stay at it then, mostly considering there's a lot of their main stream anime over there - at least the harem shit which is all I see with occasional action - doesn't look that good at all.
I'm not sure what you mean. Pencil-drawn animation holds majority in anime because changing their infrastructure towards an entirely digital production line would be costly and because inertia is a powerful thing. It has nothing to do with aesthetic because, after cleanup is done, nobody can tell the difference. I think people don't realise that the difference between "cel animation" and "digital animation" has nothing to do with the animation drawings and everything to do with the post-production process applied to the drawings.
>>
>>159406805
No ? I'm not a cancerous, meme spewing cunt like Americans are.
>>
>>159406763
Kys
>>
>>159406844
It's real easy. Just find a really tall building and jump off.
>>
>>159406844
>Not being ''''free''''
kek, enjoy your vanilla schools with no shootings
>>
>>159406844
die in hole mother fucker and eat shit from you dead mother ! mother bitch.
>>
>>159406844
>he lives in chinklebenonstrailia
>>
>>159406763
I'm not American and I didn't watch it as a kid yet I still see that it is a masterpiece.

Maybe your taste is just inferior.
>>
>>159401277
I occurs to me that people who hated FLCL, unlike us decent folk, are more likely to post in this thread.
>>
>>159401439
>FLCL
>Millennial
I mean if you were under 15 when it came out sure
>>
>>159401277

>OP didn't read the manga
>Or the DVD inserts
>Or understand the subtext
>OP thinks FLCL was just "lol randumb penguin of DOOM!" humor.

The great part about FLCL's coming of age story was that you could make as much, or as little of it as you wished. Just depended on how much you payed attention to the subtext of the characters.

I am going to bet OP doesn't even know what being "Fooly Cooly" means.
>>
>>159401583
>one of the first ones anyone over here saw, and was certainly one of the most memorable even if it was because you ended up watching the same 6 episodes multiple times
This. Getting anime back then involved going to a friend's place and spending 30 min burning all six .Avi files onto a CD, or going to a lan party and leeching shit.

When you got an anime series you reached the shit out of it because it was usually the only show you had that you haven't already watched 30x.

Also the honest, fight scenes, soundtrack and symbolism in it it's good
>>
>>159404757
3d and cg look like ass though.
>>
>>159408457
Only if done wrong.
>>
>>159401439
How the fuck could you watch all the way through FLCL and come to the conclusion that it was just random bullshit? Did it move to fast for you?
>>
>>159408405
>Getting anime back then involved going to a friend's place and spending 30 min burning all six .Avi files onto a CD

Or for people my age, having a friend spent an entire night copying a VHS tape with hardsubs that was 17th gen.

Or Importing Raws, and reading printed out scripts some dude on a BBS message board/IRC chat had translated along with the scenes.
>>
I'm most baffled by how the pillows being the soundtrack is such a selling point for the new season. Don't get me wrong, FLCL's OST is one of the best ever made, but I've listened to every single album they've put out and they haven't put out a truly great album since My Foot in 2006. They've almost never been anywhere close to how great they were for the music that was chosen to be in FLCL. And now people are flipping their shit over "new material" when nothing great has come out of the band in a decade? I don't get it.
>>
>>159408405
>Reached
Meant to say watched,
>>
>>159401414
>>159401583
>>159401699
>>159402046
I first watched FLCL in 2010. It was no where the first anime I had watched, and it is the only Anime that I watched then that i still hold in high regards today.
>>
>>159408564
Depends where you live. Internet wasn't affordable until CD burners were out where I'm from
>>
>>159408564
>Finding vhs anime that wasnt Akira or Sin City
Literally impossible
>>
>>159408519
DUDE I'M MOVING AND TALKING SO FAST, DID YOU KNOW THIS SCENE IS A METAPHOR FOR SEX!

wow, totally wasn't just random nonsense anon, thanks for opening my eyes.
>>
>>159408599
They got popular overseas because of FLCL, I know at least 2 groups of people who went to cons cosplaying as The Pillows when the anime was still recent
>>
FLCL is a story about puberty, and the people who are most affected by FLCL's story are people who were experiencing puberty when they frist saw it, and everything you need to make sense out of it's story is within the show itself it's not just random garbage drop this meme and start paying attention
>>
>>159408829
Kek
This retard thinks those metaphores were only about sex.
>>
>>159408887
That part I get, but did these people completely ignore 17 years of their new music and think that they're still be what they were in 1999?
>>
>>159408829
Sounds like I struck a nerve. It's okay to rewatch it if you missed something, anon.
>>
>>159408943
The Pillow's newest album 'Nook in the Brain' is actually pretty great.
>>
>>159408985
I'll need you to define "great" after Moondust and Stroll and Roll had a combined half a good song between them.
>>
>>159408944
Agreed
It wasn't until my third watch that i realized that chick from naota's school liked him.
>>
File: 1404948936070.jpg (33KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
1404948936070.jpg
33KB, 310x310px
>>159401439
>he didn't understand any of the subtext
>>
>>159408943
I've gone back and listened to a lot of their older stuff. Living Field is probably one of my favorites aside from the obvious of Happy Bivouac and Runner's High. I also like a lot of the stuff on Kool Spice,

Also gave Stroll and Roll a shot recently which I believe was one of their newest albums, and while it was alright, I kinda felt like it was missing something. Maybe I'm just biased.
>>
>>159404757
full 3d is even worse, senpai.
>>
>>159409166
Great as in 7 of the 10 tracks on the album are ones I'd happily listen to regularly. For a band with ~20 fucking albums the fact that they're putting anything out worth listening to is pretty decent.

Basically the newest album gave me hope that the new FLCL tracks will be good. That hope was compounded by the riff at the end of the trailer, which sounded promising.
>>
>>159401277
American Babby's first anime. Literally ONLY north America cares about this shit, I assure you. The elevens do not care.
>>
>>159409230
>>159409352
My stance is that ever since My Foot, and with a surprise exception in Trial which I enjoyed, everything they've put out has had maybe 1 good song. One good song a year, and they're expected to make a whole new soundtrack for this show? I'll admit I haven't heard Nook in the Brain yet though, I'll try and track it down.
>>
>>159409381
We've always known Japan has bad taste.
>>
>>159409446
I'm with you, most of their discography is miss after miss, but Nook in the Brain did surprise me. Hang a Vulture is a great track.
>>
>>159409446
I'm actually kinda hoping they might pull tracks from some of their older albums as well, because I tend to agree they were in a slump for a bit.
>>
>>159409471
Whatever anon, enjoy your sequel full of western pandering, just like LWA.
>>
>>159401277

Watching the anime right now. Looks pretty funny so far.
>>
>>159409540
I liked LWA just fine.
>>
>>159409503
Please don't make me hope anon. I've been let down for so many years that hope hurts me more. ;_;
>>
>>159409540
And you enjoy the shows that pass your purity test, anon
>>
>>159409541
It gets emotional by the end. And the soundtrack is killer
>>
>>159401277
Most people who like it watched it when they were retarded 13 year olds with shit taste.
>>
>>159409591
Hey man, maybe my taste won't line up with yours and you'll think it sucks, I'm just saying I was pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>159409657
Maybe, but what you're saying is kind of in tune with the wikipedia blurb about the album.
>Yamanaka commented that the album would showcase an alternative rock sound different from that of the band's past few albums.
Would you call that bit accurate?
>>
>tfw this shit happened to me when i was little with a girl from my class

I will non ironically BEAT THE SHIT out of anybody who insults this show
>>
>>159401277
For me, who saw it for the first time as an adult with a childhood faded in memory, it was very nostalgic but I think what made it special was the entire series was like getting turned on but never getting any resolution, it was so delightful in its reminder of what teenage sexuality was like

Also, the music choices were good...I have no interest in a sequel though
>>
>>159409446
Oh god I completely understand your concern.
And while it sounds somewhat shill-ish, I do have faith that the AS guys know what made it all good. And hoenstly the new song they had in the trailer sounded pretty good. A lot of their newer stuff like you said sounded lacking. And I think that's because the bassist left at some point? I could be wrong about that though.
My hopes is they there is an established 'sound' that FLCL carries that's very bass heavy or focused since a lot of their early 2K songs were like that in my opinion.

>>159409541
If you want a solitary experiance, just watch it all in one go and stay off /a/ and don't look up anything else about it. Form your own opinion and watch it again if you feel you missed something. That's honestly the best way to do it.
>>
>>159408599
>I'm most baffled by how the pillows being the soundtrack is such a selling point for the new season.
Because the only reason anyone is interested in this project is nostalgia. Most of these people don't listen to the Pillows outside of FLCL, they just want this to be the same as what they watched as a kid, no thought put into whether that means making something devoid of artistic integrity.
>>
>>159409717
Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate with the exception of the very last song which has this weird over-dub thing going on.
>>
>>159406171
This was something I recently learned and it blew my mind, I never really realized what generation we were complaining about (but one of the downsides of living a secluded life is you don't actually belong to a particular generation so you lose that perspective, plus I'm not American)
>>
>>159409720
Did you give into your carnal desires and practice abstinence?
>>
>>159401277

>There's not a lot of merchandise for it, Gainax never went back to it, it's too short to have ongoing conversations about it, Adult Swim never says when they're rerunning it, but people never really stopped talking about it,putting it in their top 10s,etc.

That's the point. Westaboos put hipster shit on pedestals just like everyone else. Every group of people has a "hidden gem" sort of thing that validates their being in an in group.
>>
>>159409776
I think it's less about nostalgia and more that FLCL is inseparable from The Pillows. At a certain point it's impossible to talk about one without mentioning the other; so in that regard it makes sense that they're coming back.

I think it would've been cool if the I.G guys had scouted/licensed another relatively unknown indie band, though. FLCL introduced tons of foreigners to new music, and this is an opportunity to do it again.
>>
>>159401277
Everything I love about anime and everything I think anime is about is present in those 6 episodes. For me, there's just nothing that tops that. I hate to sound like an autist, but there it is.
>>
>>159410014
I agree
>>
>>159408823
>His video rental store didn't have ancient copies of Ranma 1/2 and Tenchi Universe

Lmao pleb 13 year old me laughs at you
>>
>>159410014
I said it earlier, but I wouldn't say it's the greatest god damn thing since sliced bread, but I agree that it's got pretty much everything I love about anime in it.
>>
>>159406171
You meant to write 21.

Millenials are everyone old enough to remember being alive in 2000.

Its:

>Gen X: 1968-1982
>Gen Y/Millennials: 1983-1996
>Gen Z: 1997-2010
>>
File: 1471646799848.jpg (13KB, 270x259px) Image search: [Google]
1471646799848.jpg
13KB, 270x259px
>got into Yes because Chris Squire uses a Rickenbacker like Hanako
>Roundabout was the first song I ever learned how to play all the way through
>lol anon u liek Jojo?
>>
>>159409629
>>159409769

I really don't get that first episode, but I'm very interested now. Honestly, I picked FLCL to watch because I don't know what else to watch. Will probably watch other Gainax shit like Nadia.
>>
>>159409206
Really? I realized that after my first watch. It wasnt rocket science.
>>
>>159410618
That's kinda how it starts for everyone else, honestly. You'll probably end up liking it but not know why at first.
And then you might feel like watching it again, and the more you watch it the more you kinda get it.

Either way, I hope you like it and form your own thoughts over it.
It's almost bizarre to think that they made this right after EVA. It's a complete tone shift in the other direction, though if you look at it hard enough you start to see a lot of comparisons in characters to those kind of in EVA.
>>
>>159409978
Pretty much this. The soundtrack defines flcl's feel. It's be a different show if it had Love Hina's soundtrack.
>>
>>159410082
>Mfw 13yo me got to watch sin City instead
>>
>>159410204
>83~87
>Not 90s kids
Lol sure sweetie, whatever you want to believe
>>
The 2nd episode Firestarter is what really made me love the series. The bleakness of Mabase and it's people really show in the episode. Especially when the kids walk past Mamimi by the river and she looks like she hasn't had a good day in years. And then there are such amazing scenes like the Can't flying scene and when Naota gets in the robot. I can't even begin to describe the emotions I feel rewatching the show anymore. The soundtrack mixed with the amazing moments just make the show amazing to me. Nostalgia is obviously a part of it but I also just genuinely love the show.
>>
>>159411183
*Canti not can't, oops
>>
>>159411183
Usually when I watch FLCL, it's because I'm showing it to someone else who hasn't seen it yet.
But still, every time, I get the same feelings I've always gotten. I always think "surely this time it won't affect me", and I'm fucking wrong every time.
To that end, I'm sure the new season won't reach those same heights, but the child in me is still excited.
>>
>>159411068
Gonna need some sauce on this semen demon
>>
>people who liked it post several reasons why they enjoyed it and want more after all this time
>people who didn't like it or even watch it come up with idiotic reasons and explanations of why it sucks

Good thread,
>>
>>159411350
I feel the same. I remember showing my sister this not too long ago. I had goosebumps for almost the entire time. I've seen the show almost 10 times now.
>>
>>159411183

Just finished episode 2 now. I think I know what you mean. I don't want to say "it's deep and philosophical" or some other word. It just feels really fucking nostalgic for some reason.
>>
>>159412149
It's definitely not tackling themes that have never been tackled before, it's just doing so with extreme competence and style.
>>
>>159412247

Maybe I can't express it "right enough" but I feel like everything that's going on in that scene with Naota reminds me of how I felt when I first watched anime as a kid. Getting exposed to Giant Robots, Aliens, stuff like that. I really miss that feeling.
>>
>>159412482
FLCL is literally that show that makes you think about why you like it but you can never quite put your finger on why
>>
>>159412613
Because canti, music and fast animation
>>
>>159401583
I had been watching anime for more than 10 years by the time FLCL came out in 1999/2000 and i loved every minute of it
>>
>>159401583
>pandering to western audiances more
desu if it means less moe and harem shit and more things with plot than who am I to argue with that?
There's obviously the parallels that we have here that something is pandering to much to something else and not us but so far I've not seen any reason to think this is bad.

If this comes out and it's not received well on either sides, then we've got a problem.
I think if anything, my biggest worry is that some of that Japanese humor that was in FLCL won't be lost on these new two seasons.
>>
>>159401277

>it's too short to have ongoing conversations about it
What else is too short to have ongoing conversations about? 95% of cinema?
>>
>>159413243
I can't believe film critics haven't stopped talking about Citizen Kane, it's only 2 hours long, there's not enough to talk about!
>>
>>159413243
I think in a way it being short as fuck allows you to have a lot more flexibility with it and not so many guide lines to follow.
the thing that carried FLCL wasn't really the world they live in, but the characters, their arcs, the dumb bullshit that happened to them, and the music.
The only thing they really need to nail world wise is that it needs to look like a 90's suburb/rural town with a river and a few bridges.
>>
>>159413458
The thing that carries FLCL is its extremely good sense of style and its unmatched formal elegance (i.e. a lot of content is succesfully and losslessly conveyed with few cues be it dialogue, composition, sound, design, movement etc). The basic structure and character arcs themselves aren't anything super new, not even for Gainax.
>>
I watched FLCL when I was 10 and I already forgot what the fuck it was even supposed to be.
>>
>>159414360
This is true, but when I think about it, the character are what I think about the most other than the music.
It all kinda just works. And keeping this all in mind I can't say I should expect the new seasons to carry that. It almost seems a bit unfair, not because they don't have the capabillity to do it, but because it's very difficult to continue something like FLCL. It does what it does so uniquely that I don't even think if everyone that worked on it got back together to work on this season instead that it wouldn't be the same.
And therefore I don't think I want this new season to be, or try to be, the same as the original 6 episodes. I kinda want it to be its own thing and try to be unique in its own season 2 way. There's so much you could do with this, it would almost be a shame to spend all that trying to replicate the old. Since this isn't about Naota now and it's about Neko-chan maybe that's what they're trying to get at, with the connecting pieces to the original being Haruko and the Pillows.
>>
I've never watched FLCL
>>
>>159414633
It only takes 2 hours to watch. You might as well just to see if you like it or not
>>
>>159414559
The thing is, since what defines FLCL as unique or exceptional when compared with other anime or media relates to the way in which it presents its content (that in itself creates a full package qualitatively different from what would result if you tried doing the same content in a different way), there's not much chance the sequel can 'capture the spirit' of the original other than superficial similarities.

Also the staff doesn't seem that great other than ahoboy and oshiyama. I don't think kubota's particularly out there with his designs nor his approach to cartooning and movement sets itself apart from basic mainstream anime sensibilities, and the individual episode directors all seem like unproven/bland generic industry people. Hard to say conclusively without seeing the animator lineups for each episode though.
>>
>>159414633
You can find all 6 episodes subbed on youtube on Funimation's channel.
>>
>>159414667
One more thing added to the backlog I guess
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (705KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
705KB, 640x480px
>>159414685
All we can do is wait and see.
I personally am willing to give this a fighting chance. I want to see what its got and I'm willing to put aside comparing it to the original.
Is it fair to compare it to the original when it comes out? It sure fucking is, but how exactly would we compare the two other than "the music was good, I liked this animation, or this character section, or this fight", because in all honesty, that's all most people care to discuss. In fact I don't believe I've seen many people at all discuss why they like it in detail other than the motiffs and the Pillows, so how could we even compare the two if those are the only things to compare?

Perhaps I'm thinking too much into this. At the end of the day, all I can do is just hope it's smartly written, it's tasteful in how it paces itself and how it handles its themes, and that the pillows make kick-ass new music. I don't want to think about the bad things right now. I'm sure when it comes out, I'm sure that's all /a/ will ever discuss in the common efforts to quell anything good this show will live up to.
>>
>>159414633
I've never watched Ranma 1/2
>>
>>159414980
Just watch it all right now. It's two hours, senpai.
>>
>>159401277
dank music
>>
File: 1494549329256.jpg (486KB, 800x1150px) Image search: [Google]
1494549329256.jpg
486KB, 800x1150px
>>159401439
>random
>>
>>159401277
Nostalgia.

It was awful nothing but shouting and boner metaphors. I really question the iq of anyone who actually likes this shit.
>>
>>159415759
>LOL WE ARE IN A MANGA FOR NO REASON RAMBLING ABOUT MADE UP WORDS FOR 5 MINUTES XD

It was random you twat.
>>
>>159401277
>There's not a lot of merchandise for it
Calvin & Hobbes has no merchandise at all and it's popularity as persisted. Merchandising doesn't make the original product any better.
>Gainax never went back to it
Why should they? They realize it can stand on its own and didn't milk it for all its worth.
>it's too short to have ongoing conversations about it
6 20-minute eps = 2 hours worth of material to discuss. That's a decent length movie. People still talk about great movies from 60 years ago. If something is good, people will find something to talk about. FLCL may be short but it stirs people's minds and fulfills something that many longer series never accomplish. Length means nothing.
>Adult Swim never says when they're rerunning it, but people never really stopped talking about it,putting it in their top 10s
Judging the quality/popularity of an anime on how Adult Swim airs it? Thanks to the internet, people don't rely on networks to tell them what to watch anymore.

OP, you're an idiot.
>>
>>159415808
It's a meta joke about them conserving budget which they literally say right after the segment, you idiot.
>>
>>159401989
What's this image from? Google's giving me nothing.
>>
>>159415808
actually the manga thing was used to show the chaotic situation at the table in ep 1 and then as a parallel in ep6 when haruko suddenly comes back. sure the thought to make it a manga style thing itself was "arbitrary" as a choice of style (all choices are), but it has a reason for being like that.
>>
>>159416078
Not that anon but it's Gunsmith Cats
>>
>>159416127
Thanks.
>>
>>159416071
>it's ok we are only ironically shitty!

What a load of cancer.
>>
>>159401277
What did pink haired girl's boyfriend symbolize?
>>
>>159416281
for naota it was the ideal, which also coincided with his brother. tsurumaki actually calls it out explicitly in the dvd commentary of ep 2 when red canti first shows up.

for amarao it also was like that, but since amarao is an older jaded man defined by his resentment and inability to let go it took on a different context.

harder to say what it meant for haruko since haruko is not really explored as a character outside of being a device to develop naota, but if you really wanted to invent a meaning i'd say something similar to the theme of millenium actress is going on there, with some psychopathy thrown in for good measure
>>
>>159416369
I think Haruko at least partially symbolizes puberty itself, seeing how she brings chaos into Naota's life, disrupts the relationships with the people around him, causes him to have feelings he was unaware of, and make some pretty dumb decisions. Also she causes large phalic objects to appear, which confuses and scares him
>>
i used to like it
i do not like it anymore
>>
>>159416246
One of the core themes of FLCL is the clash between style and substance. It's flashy from front to back, guitars galore, robots, guns, endless sexual innuendos, and it all hits you so fast you're not sure it had anything to say at all. Though it may look like it's only trying to appear "cool" like the main character, who carries around a baseball despite never participating in the sport, the show is only commentating on itself, it's characters, and even it's audience. Basically its too deep for you, anonymous, and you should learn to accept the bitterness of life instead of bitching endlessly on image boards.
>>
File: 1491635945987.png (427KB, 1000x1149px) Image search: [Google]
1491635945987.png
427KB, 1000x1149px
>>159410417
>Learn how to play Roundabout years before Jojo
>Someone plays the guitar intro
>About to play along
>"Ha, that's a meme song, a good meme song"
Thread posts: 148
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.