[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Summer Wars - what is anime?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

What did I just watch?
The story was all over the place, the plot was written where everything was meant to fall into place as if everything made sense in their world, convenient plot devices like the grandma wanting the MC to marry the school idol grand-daughter, colorful explosions of lazy CGI, an ending where best possible outcome was achieved and all the problems were fixed. Yay.
What's more I checked the rotten tomatoes reviews and it was rated highly among movie reviewers who were casual anime fans.

Is this what anime has become?
Just CGI eyefuck for 120mins and everyone goes home happy?
And what was this movie even meant for?
Certainly not children since the plot was so convoluted, yet certainly not for adults since none of this shit made sense.
>>
Sometimes people just want to see a spectacle. There's a place for films like this.
>>
>>159399796

Koi koi
>>
>>159399856
I just feel like if this is what "good anime" is then it lowers the bar for work that has actual work put into it and changes what "bad anime" is supposed to be.
I wouldn't have minded it if at the end I felt like this was worth my time

>>159399985
Muh symbolism
>>
>>159399796
>is this what anime has become?!
>uses a pretty old film as example

Next time post your bait next to Your Name op
>>
>>159400105
>Summer Wars came out 8 years ago
>>
File: 3W0zzC3.png (544KB, 804x644px) Image search: [Google]
3W0zzC3.png
544KB, 804x644px
>>159399985
Do you guys actually know how to play hanafuda?
I learned it from fate.
>>
It would have been a better movie if was just about the MC having to deal with the girl's eccentric large family and cut all of the digital world shit.
>>159399985
This was unironically my favorite part of the movie. It was corny as hell, but it just hit on all the right notes of set up and execution for me.
>>
>>159400105
I'm not gonna lie, I downloaded this in '13 and watched it just now
Either way I wouldn't type this much if I was going to troll
>>
>>159400035
Don't get caught up trying to categorize anime as "good" or "bad". The only thing that matters is whether or not the audience gets what they want out of it.
>>
>>159400221
>Don't get caught up trying to categorize anime as "good" or "bad".
But what else are we going to argue about on here if not if someone's favorite anime is actually worse than runny dog shit?
>>
>>159399796
It is rated highly on RT because normalfag japanese cartoon fans rate highly. Just look at the ratings on MAL and ANN theyre outrageously high
>>
>>159400221
Part of the reason I care is because I want valid reviews of anime.
If this wasn't anime then the top critics on RT would crucify this, yet because this was an anime it was a brilliant exercise in vibrant computer animation with sci-fi and philosophical angles

>>159400450
Yeah I also checked their ratings as well afterwards. I wouldn't say I watch anime frequently, I've probably watched 2 series in the last 3 years, yet both casual fans and people who keep up with everything gave it 8/9/10
Why is that?
>>
>>159400541
>Part of the reason I care is because I want valid reviews of anime.
> I've probably watched 2 series in the last 3 years
Then why the fuck are you on /a/?
Can the mods just ban you for being a retard?
>>
I need to rewatch this 2bh. I liked it.
>>
>>159400660
So here's an idea, and it might sound out-there but you don't have to sperg out on that one thread which isn't about the flavor-of-the-month anime
Crazy I know, but try it.
>>
>>159400541
As someone who liked the show, I'd say it's because using old-fashioned bonds between people to tackle a modern-day problem was a very interesting concept that was well presented. But I did not find the movie convoluted at all, so I kinda find it hard to see things from your point of view.
>>
File: 1483621526438.jpg (41KB, 396x382px) Image search: [Google]
1483621526438.jpg
41KB, 396x382px
>>159400660
>hurr ban people I dont agree with
Kindly kill yourself
>>
>What did I just watch?

A shittier Our War Game
>>
>>159399796
>Is this what anime has become?
This movie is like nine years old.
>>
>>159400541
>I wouldn't say I watch anime frequently, I've probably watched 2 series in the last 3 years
Fuck off and kill yourself, you don't belong here.
>>
>>159401854
>Our War Game was like 3 movies in 1
>Summer Wars was like 1 movie
Holy shit he's right
>>
>>159402315
I'd argue that Summer Wars was 2 movies in 1.
>>
>>159401993
O-Oh my god I need to rant about a shitty movie I just watched
>it's an anime movie
>4chan.org/boards/a/
>>
>>159402391
I think the reddit anime boards would be more your speed, champ.
>>
>>159402391
Not how it works, retard. Fuck off to some other site.
>>
>>159402538
>>159402518
Replied to the wrong guy fuck I was mocking OP
>>
File: meguminet.jpg (114KB, 853x482px) Image search: [Google]
meguminet.jpg
114KB, 853x482px
To anyone so vividly upset about this movie:
>>
Some movies are just meant to be fulfilling, not particularly thought-provoking or suprising.

It was a light-hearted story about romance and a family that comes together to achieve something greater, with a backdrop of a bright and colorful digital world.

Just chill and enjoy, Anon
>>
>>159402315
Tfw Digimon made a much higher stakes movie about fucking kids trying to stop a nuke than the same director could do with a much higher budget
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.