[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I think most people would agree that the dub for DBZ is pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: 1427432939755.gif (628KB, 245x242px) Image search: [Google]
1427432939755.gif
628KB, 245x242px
So I think most people would agree that the dub for DBZ is pretty well done, many would argue that it's better then the original due to gokus voice actor.

Is there any other anime where the dub is arguably better then the original voice over?
>>
>>159372799
you are full of shit if you like funi's goku over ocean.

did you hear his original VA for goku once funi dubbed freezer? it was HORRIBLE.
>>
>>159372799
Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.
>>
>>159372799
Goku nip VA is shit and makes it unwatchable for me. I think dbz might be the only case where I preferred the english dub.
>>
>>159372799
DBZ is the only one for me where dub was ever better and I admit that I'm not sure how much nostalgia is playing into that perception.
>>
>>159372799
Baccano
>>
>>159372834
DBZ Kai makes Funi's far superior. The performances are some of the best a dub has had.
>>
>>159372799
Cowboy bebop, FMA, Ruroni Kenshin,
>>
I don't really have a problem with an unaging manchild having the voice of a little boy
>>
obligatory cromartie
>>
>>159372799
I think Boku no Hero Academia has a good dub for the most part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TFAGAyLzcg&t=184s
>>
>>159372799
Dubs are shit. Kill yourself
>>
>>159373837
how does it feel knowing you will never be Japanese?
>>
>>159372842
>>159373100
>>159373186
>>159373477
/thread
>>
All dubtards should be gassed
>>
Outlaw Star
Cromartie High School
Baccano
>>
>>159372799
There are some outliers like baccano and bebop because the language enhances the setting
>>
>>159372799
Most people are idiots so I guess they would prefer a badly acted/scripted dub over the original.
>>
>>159373144
that's kai, he said dbz which funi took over once given the rights to continue where ocean left off. it was horrid man.
>>
I liked Ghost in the Shell SAC's dub. Major is damn sexy in both languages, but it's the rest of Section 9 where the English dub shines. They all have really distinct voices, whereas in Japanese they all sound like generic grumbling tough-guys.
>>
G-GUNDAM
>>
>>159372799
Golden Boy always
>>
>>159374785
You're a faggot.
In my first research internship I worked in a team of huge Japfags. One was still young ~30yo and watched anime sometimes. He found the original voices ridiculously over-the-top and strangely spoken, even though he lived in Japan for a while and married a Jap.
>>
>>159373837
You're such a smart guy, we're all very proud of you.
>>
>>159372799
My only complaint on Goku's portrayal in the dub is he speaks more like a benevolent hero than a selfish country hick who just wants to fight stronger opppnents. It changes his character quite a bit, though I still can enjoy both versions.
>>
>>159372799
the US dub is shit

>>159375420
This one is an especially glaring example of a horrible dub, it is corny and cheesy and ruins the hot-blooded awesomeness of the original work

The only acceptable US Dub of the past decade was Space Dandy
>>
In most cases "best dub" is just a case of the characters being adult males so american VAs appear to fit the characters more because they don't sound like faggot teenagers like 90% of Japan does.

There are a few cases where I genuinely think they did better acting though, like GiTS. I remember Togusa having a weirdly deep voice in Japanese which didn't fit his character at all.

Also it is funny to me how unfitting Nozawa seemed for Goku but when she voiced Goku Black her villain voice was fucking 11/10.
>>
>>159375717
>it is corny and cheesy
But that is like the best part, and it is not as if the show was corny and cheesy of itself just ham that shit up and the dub was also hotblooded.
>>
>>159375913
There's a difference between "show corny and cheesy stuff but treat it seriously" and "you can hear the voice actors giggle and piss themselves"
>>
>>159376056
>"you can hear the voice actors giggle and piss themselves"
What?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXOCzB35kFY
>>
>>159375717

>the US dub is shit

This. Just change the 'shit' part to 'great' and you're golden.
>>
>>159372799

I prefer Cowboy Bebop's and FLCL's dub over the original Japanese.

I usually prefer Japanese so I'm pretty sure I'm not a total queer.
>>
>>159373968
The fourth of July is over, Amerifag. It's time to start reading.
>>
For the longest time I kinda felt the GitS dub was preferable to the original, if nothing else because subs can make the anime hard to follow along with for many people.
>>
>>159373837
>>159374441
>>159374785
Imagine your life being so shit you have to be this much of an elitist
>>
>>159372856
literally any language is better than japanese for dragonball z
You should check out the hindi dub.
>>
>>159376184
Nothing wrong with that, I mean 99% of the jap dubs are better, but that doesn't mean you can't prefer a dub when it actually is good.
Nip version is usually better than the english dub, because voice work is much bigger thing in japan, seiyuu do more shit except for voicing stuff and people even watch certain anime just because a seiyu they like are voicing a character in it so obviously much more effort will be put into it than the english dub which is usually just a shitty low budget rushjob for normalfags and casuals who can't into reading subs, but on the rare occasion that an english dub is actually pretty good there is nothing wrong with prefering it.
I am not even english and I like some english performances better than the nip performances, not that there are many english voice work I prefer, but there are some that I like.
>>
>>159375867
I think you summed it pretty well. No mature adult character sounds good in japanese. But highschoolers sounds way too old in western dubs.
>>
>>159372799
I feel lots of ecchi anime work way better with a dub.
How ludicrous the majority of the lines in Highschool DxD are due to Issei's english VA just fit the sheer stupidity of the series.
>>
Why do most english dubs sound like they were recorded in someone's bedroom? Can these companies not afford proper recording space and equipment?
>>
>>159372799
>it's a "Dubs are great/shit" thread
And now to wait for the "but Family Guy Stories tho" post
>>
>>159374785
This sums it up pretty well.
>>
Code geass and death note also have superior dub

Akito the exiled even got accents from European nations
>>
>>159375458
>even though he lived in Japan for a while
Burgerclaps live there for 10+ years without learning the language. Means nothing.
>>
Why do dubfags always seek the approval of others so desperately?
Seriously, it's always the same shit, and some of them even try to push their shitty dubs down your throat.
>>
>>159379361
We're just talking about dubs anon. Stop applying deeper meaning bullshit to a thread on 4chan
>>
>>159378549
Fate series could have used the accents
>>
File: 1498433774386.jpg (395KB, 693x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1498433774386.jpg
395KB, 693x1000px
Cowboy Bebop, FMA, and Spice and wolf all have superior dubs.
>>
>>159372799
>dbz dub
>well done
I think you meant to post this on /v/, not everyone here grew up with the trashy american dub.
>>
>>159380240
>living in a country where they had no English dbz

Hahahah ahmed is a sore loser
>>
>>159373837
T. Manchild
>>
H-Hellsing
>>
>>159373758
I think that it's all pretty solid aside from the translation often being poorly done which really drags it down. It's correct English but the choice for how to translate certain things is often just awful.

>>159377509
Maybe it's a person who does that work at home with their own equipment and has a bad recording environment.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.