[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Martial arts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: kenka banchou otome 01.webm (1MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
kenka banchou otome 01.webm
1MB, 852x480px
Why are semi-realistic martial arts so unpopular in anime?

Nearly all the anime that supposedly features martial arts is about power flinging (see: dragon ball or taboo tattoo), or delegates the fist fights to one or two trivial characters (why the fuck MAL puts the martial arts tag on Freezing?), and so on.

With all the popular manga focused on semi-realistic martial arts (teppu, holyland, all rounder meguru, karata kyokushin kohinata minoru to name a few), I don't get why we don't get more anime based on those properties.

To put some perspective: Katanagatari is from 2010, and Kenichi from 2006. Can you remember more recent examples in a similar vein to those?
>>
You know, you can just watch the real shit

Why bother seeing cartoons about them?
>>
>>159272272
>Implying I can't do both

Well, if there were more, obviously.

Also, for the same hajime no ippo is still going on after so many years: because it can be fun, and the story and background can spice what otherwise would be two guys beating each other for money.
>>
I imagine it has to do with the animation cost
>>
>>159272069
Because authors who investigate and research properly usually find out that irl martial arts that aren't used for sports or showmanship is extremely deadly in nature since it used by special forces to kill their opponents quickly.
That doesn't make for a good show most people will enjoy.
>>
File: SDv31ch276-p154-155.jpg (197KB, 1023x813px) Image search: [Google]
SDv31ch276-p154-155.jpg
197KB, 1023x813px
>>159272069
Cartoons are by their very definition an abstraction of reality

Realism is not their strong point. It is easier to animate a bunch of crazy speed lines and one big stupid punch than it is to accurately animate two people who know what they're doing fighting.

Even in sports anime that are relatively realistic, you have a ton of cinematic shit that makes it simpler to portray/more cinematic/easier to follow. Slow motion, cuts at strategic moments to simplify animation, internal monologs, peanut gallery commentary that expands the time spectrum, etc.
>>
Because anime is kinda detached from reality, it's kind of a niche since only martial arts fan can enjoy those fights.
Mangas are a lot more diverse, so even though you get lots of manga centered around martial arts they're still a minority.
>>
>>159272565
>>159272589
At some point, martial arts were kind of popular in anime. Tenjou tenge, ikkitousen, kenichi and the new hokuto no ken ovas were released in the 00's, and katanagatari in 2010. They didn't had to spend millions in recreating UFC fights, and employed the tricks that you could expect from any anime, but put some effort into story and characters, so they were genuinely fun even for those who aren't martial arts fans.

But, for some reason, that trend died and the last anime I could remember is OP, which somehow made wing chun look neat and useful. And still is a dumb short.
>>
>>159272069
Because it's really hard to animate, and can only be animated well by people who actually understand martial arts. Meanwhile, there's not a lot of payoff. It looks good, but only people who understand martial arts can truly appreciate it. It's a lot easier to animate pseudo-fighting and most viewers not minding the difference.
>>
>>159272069
because traditional martial arts doesn't fit the narrative of a lot of shows and is less about style than practicality

it's like how everyone now makes fun of the ideas of swords being at any point relevant in any part of history in a battlefield over superior weapons (i.e. all of them), "accurate recreation" of martial arts is considered more of respect to the culture and history of those martial arts instead of using in actual practical fighting scenes

so for martial arts to have any part in say dragon ball, we have to pretend that goofy rigid poses and reacting instead of defending to a threat like in your pic is better than shooting an energy blast or even just using a knife
>>
>>159275796
I don't know, man. Not fitting into the narrative haven't stopped many studios or authors from including random shit in their works.

Guillotine gorilla anyone?

Or just the recent isekai trend. It literally adds nothing most of the time, but they bend the entire thing to justify why one guy goes transported into wish fulfilment-land.
>>
>>159272069
>holyland

that ending left me depressed
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.