[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i just finished uzumaki

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: uzumaki.jpg (17KB, 283x178px) Image search: [Google]
uzumaki.jpg
17KB, 283x178px
what do you guys think of it i thought it was amazing the transition from personal horror to a crazy huge story was interesting should i watch the movie is it worth it
>>
just finished it as well.
When i started it i felt like i was reading Goosebumps books.
As soon as i finished it i got good Lovecraft vibes, Ito is a really good author
>>
>>159219899
>>159220665
Glad you two enjoyed it. have you read gyo yet?
>>
Everything junji ito has written is worth reading, but uzumaki is one of my favorites. His one offs can be amazing as well
>>
>>159223146
I read fragments of horror and you are 100% right!
>>
>two guys are turned into snails
>everyone still thinks that there's nothing wrong happening

The guy with the glasses is the only sane person in the entire town.
>>
>>159221126
Not yet. I was just about to start Tomie, is it better or worse than Gyo?
>>
File: uzumaki cover.jpg (114KB, 500x306px) Image search: [Google]
uzumaki cover.jpg
114KB, 500x306px
>>159223957
Dude should have dragged his girlfriend to an airport and flown to the other side of the world from the get-go.
>>
>>159221126
I liked Uzumaki but didn't really see the appeal of Gyo. Just seemed like gross-out horror by comparison.

The gashunk shark was pretty great though.
>>
>>159223957
>>159224266
I write that all off as part of the curse of the spiral - there's no way any of them could have avoided this fate, there never was a point where they could have left the town and escaped.

The only way any of this could have been averted is if the niggas from TTGL came in and used some of their own spiral magic bullshit to reverse the curse. It's kind of interesting, actually - one series uses the spiral motif to symbolize expansion, hope, growth, while the other uses it to symbolize inevitability, repetition, drawing you in, etc. A spiral outward as opposed to inward, I guess.
>>
>>159219899
The secret behind appreciating horror is to laugh when it doesn't scare you instead of letting it ruin the experience. I read Glyceride before this so this was a lot tamer. But some of the stories in Uzumaki were clearly intended as jokes and I really appreciated how the author could bounce between moods. The fetus mushroom babies and the people crammed in the houses was when I legitimately got freaked out - I think that was the time the shift between personal and cosmic horror happened.
>>
>>159219899
I picked it up out of a library years ago and it's still one of my favorites.

>>159220665
It does have a goosebumps vibe but not in a bad way.
That maternity ward/mosquito story was creepy.
>>
File: Uzumaki.jpg (132KB, 750x1108px) Image search: [Google]
Uzumaki.jpg
132KB, 750x1108px
>>159224416
I feel like the boyfriend might have been able to get out at the very beginning, being the only person who could tell there was something wrong with the town. But he waited too long because his girlfriend didn't see any reason why they should leave.
>>
File: 02_209.jpg (243KB, 864x1232px) Image search: [Google]
02_209.jpg
243KB, 864x1232px
>>159224186
Better in a sense that there is a huge variety of settings in Tomie. They all kinda end the same way though.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.