[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

KnK movie thoughts.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: Screenshot 2017-07-01 16.06.41.png (3MB, 1742x932px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-07-01 16.06.41.png
3MB, 1742x932px
So I just watched the Koe no Katachi movie. It wasn't too bad, but it was missing a few things that pissed me off.
1) The true depths of Kawai's and Mashiba's characters were pushed to the side.
#KawaiDidNothingWrong actually looks like it's true with this movie, as it more or less utterly ignores the fact that she really is a self-absorbed bitch who only cares about appearances. They even had her use the “you need to look at the better aspects of yourself, otherwise you’ll want to die” line without showing the bit that makes it clear that she was at least partially talking about herself. It also misses the much darker aspects of Mashiba's character, making him a "generic friend character" who's really only there to pad the cast and so "hey, Character X from the manga made it in."
2) The implied Ueno x Sahara pairing also pretty much got nuked.
Yeah, remember that part from the manga where Ueno and Sahara open a clothing shop together? Or when Sahara fucking gives Ueno and ring and proposes that they become partners? Granted, that shit was supposed to be subtext, but it was there. It’s also a hella good sign of both Ueno and Sahara’s growth. And never mind the fact that it’s like they’re trying to cloak the fact that Sahara is obviously into women. I get that Japan isn’t friendly to same-sex pairings except in hentai, but fucking hell, that makes me madder than it should have.

continued next post
>>
Addendum: My faggot friend poked her head in to read this and commented that they get a small tidbit at the end, when Ishida’s friends are all getting “shots”, Ueno and Sahara are together, as are the implied couple of Kawai and Mashiba. If that’s supposed to be symbolic, though, then that means that pic-related in the middle are also an “implied couple”, and that’s fucking bullshit.
3) Ishida crying at the end.
I was actually laughing at this part. For what fucking purpose did that scene even get made? It wasn’t in the manga. It had nothing to do with Ishida’s growth. He wouldn’t end up crying over seeing people as they were. I wouldn’t mind it as much if they hadn’t decided that the original ending could fuck off in favor of this, but… they did. And it’s pretty damn lolworthy.

Who else here /okaybutitcouldhavebeenbetter/?
>>
>>159218008
I think you didn't watched the movie, this looks completely different to the Kyoukai no Kanata movie that I saw.
>>
>>159218089
No, I think he meant to watch the Kara no Kyoukai films
>>
>>159218129
How about the "Kill Negro Kikes" movie?
>>
>>159218089
>>159218129

I was talking about Koe no Katachi. It's also called "The Shape of Voice".
>>
Oh, I also noticed that Ueno seems to be portrayed as less malicious than she is in the manga.
>>
>#
Go back
>>
>>159218365
Kikes Kill Niggers > Kill Negro Kikes
>>
I genuinely don't know how you can watch the movie and think that Kawai did nothing wrong. Like, I didn't even read the manga and I still knew perfectly that she wasn't innocent.
>>
>>159219425
If I hadn't read the manga, I probably would have assumed that she was a mostly innocent bystander. She laughed a little during one of Ishida's pranks, but she was the first to rush the help Shoko when Ishida injured Shoko by ripping out her hearing aids, and generally didn't do anything wrong throughout the movie unless you're looking out for things from the manga - like how she blabbed about Ishida's past in front of the classroom. Even that looked more like her being upset and getting emotional that he "hadn't learned" rather than her trying to score brownie points with Mashiba, which was how it actually went down in the manga.
>>
>>159219744
The way she was portrayed when she talked about Ishida alone is enough to depict her as a bad person who did a lot of bad things. Look past at the simple act she did, and consider how the scene was built. This is cinema, you have to explain whole characters in a scene.
>>
File: icameheretolaughatyoukakyoin.png (357KB, 547x449px) Image search: [Google]
icameheretolaughatyoukakyoin.png
357KB, 547x449px
>>159218008
>>159218022

Consider the following: maybe it was a shit movie because it was based on a shit manga?
>>
>>159219892
>she talked about Ishida
About Ishida being a bully I mean
>>
>>159219892
Anon's right here, actually. Also, Ueno, who's pretty firmly portrayed as a brutally honest character who tells no lies as an adult, calls Kawai on her bullshit. If we aren't supposed to interpret that as Kawai being more sinister than she lets on, then you might as well interpret Shoko's suicide attempt as her just trying to get a better view of the fireworks.

>>159220026
Jojoposter please leave
>>
>>159218008
I just finished watching it a few minutes ago, I thought it was great, the visuals, story and characters were great. It even made me realize a few things about myself, I'll probably read the manga in the future.
>>
>>159219892
My bad, I hadn't seen it like that.
What do you think about the other issues of the film, though? Mashiba, the movie getting cut out, Ueno x Sahara, and the ending?
>>
>>159220213
Whew, lad. Trust me, for all my joking about "Kill Negro Kikes" earlier, I really would recommend the manga. If you somehow actually liked the characters here, you'll really get a taste of what they were meant to be in the manga. (Warning that you'll want to deck both Kawai and Ueno HARD, though.)
>>
>>159220265
You say "issues" and I say good fucking riddance. The movie squarely focused on Ishida and I think it greatly exceeded the manga just because of it.
>>
>>159220265
There wasn't time to make Mashiba relevant, this was worked in the move when Ishida on the bridge tells him that he doesn't know much about him.
Similarly, Ueno x Sahara would have had not space in the movie, for the story all you need to know is that Sahara is a coward.

I honestly don't remember Ishida crying at the end, so I can't talk about that.
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-07-01 19.09.15.png (42KB, 1170x142px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-07-01 19.09.15.png
42KB, 1170x142px
FINALLY FOUND THIS

I didn't screencap it at the time because I actually thought he'd be right, but sweet fuck, he wasn't. The movie was fucking dogshit.
>>
>>159218089
>>159218129
roflmao you're so funny dude even though he even mentioned koe no katachi in the first paragraph of the post in order to make you not confused
>>
>>159220338
I see
>>
>>159218008
>>159218022
>>159220265
>>159220447

Did I fucking miss something? I've read the manga twice and watched the movie late last month. Since when were Ueno and Sahara an item?
>>
>>159220338
>Warning that you'll want to deck both Kawai and Ueno HARD, though.
The movie made it clear that you should want to deck both of them anyway, though.

>>159220383
Uh... no mockery here, really, but care to explain? The depth of all the characters was part of what made the manga good to me.
Also, what about my point about the ending?
>>
>>159220532
I don't know, like I said I didn't read the manga.
>>
>>159220475
>hahaha it was dogshit
Go back
>>
>>159220673
Ah, sorry. Your wording made me think that you saw something in the movie that I hadn't.
>>
>>159220532
>since when were Ueno and Sahara an item

You can't be serious. You really read the manga twice?

>>159220723
>Your wording made me think that you saw something in the movie that I hadn't.
Anon, the entire point was that they ignored it in the movie. Even TV Tropes fucking saw it.
>>
>>159220615
>Uh... no mockery here, really, but care to explain? The depth of all the characters was part of what made the manga good to me.
Its been years since I read the manga, and I didn't really think twice about it, I didn't find any of the side characters interesting. They get in the way of Ishida's story, which I felt was the heart of the manga and the movie. Ishida himself is a really great character though. I don't remember him much in the manga, but the movie portrayed his emotions so well through his facial expressions and body language (something that Yamada excels at).

The ending builds on top of this. It was the true ending to Ishida's story. It gives a very satisfying (my favorite in all of anime, really) ending to his story. At this point, you have no doubt that he got over his obstacles, as well as Nishimiya's obstacles. The movie didn't portray the rest of the side cast as mentally fucked up on the same level as Ishida and Nishimiya, so it feels like everything is resolved, which starkly contrasts the feeling of everything falling apart that's present in the film.
>>
>>159220532
It's just yuri faggot delusions
>>
>>159221013
Feel free to return to r/The Donald anytime
>>
>>159220911
That's actually an interesting perspective, and one that I hadn't considered. I still view the side characters as being pretty interesting, but in the interest of developing Ishida, what with the movie's limited time, it... works.

Last question: your thoughts on Shoko? Good character, plot device, something in between?
>>
>>159221579
I think she's decent. Nothing spectacular. I think, as with the side characters, were mostly geared towards Ishida's development. Through her overly passive nature and eventual suicide attempt, Ishida learns to accept himself and become more open with others and properly look at them, because his self-serving redemption is only hurting others.

Also, her passive nature is a good foil for Ishida. The way I see it, Ishida needs to properly listen to others (conveyed by him closing his ears and the X's) while Shouko needed to speak up and not just sit things out and apologize (her ending was going around to all of the side cast to get them to forgive Ishida, becoming more "active" and speaking out to others).
>>
Hmm. I recalled someone calling her out as more of a device rather than an actual character after the manga finished, and wanted to get more feedback.

I personally think that she was well-done. She was pretty damn believable as a character, too. Main issue, though, is that her growth throughout the story is almost utterly destroyed by her suicide attempt at the end, which shows that despite it, she wasn't able to become strong enough to resist the urge to end her life. What you pointed out, though, as well as her becoming able to stand up, made a nice conclusion to her story, as well as Ishida's as he becomes able to accept himself.

Thanks for the conversation.
>>
having read the manga, I disliked the movie
I imagine it's even worse if you didnt. a lot of unnecessary things are inserted hal-heartedly due to runtime constraint, it felt too much of a forced drama
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.